William Maley

April 2016: General Motors Co.

142 posts in this topic

GM’s Retail Sales Rise for 12th Consecutive Month Driven by Chevrolet, Buick and GMC

• Chevrolet remains the industry’s fastest-growing full-line brand of 2016 with retail sales up 4 percent in April
  • Buick’s retail sales up 13 percent; GMC retail sales up 5 percent
  • Commercial deliveries up for 30th consecutive month
  • Daily rental deliveries down nearly 18,000 units, or 39 percent  
DETROIT – General Motors (NYSE: GM) delivered 200,656 vehicles in April to individual or “retail” customers, up 3 percent year-over-year, driven by an 13 percent increase at Buick, 5 percent increase at GMC and a 4 percent increase at Chevrolet. GM’s Commercial deliveries were up for the 30th consecutive month while daily rental sales were down nearly 18,000 vehicles. GM total sales were down about 4 percent to 259,557 vehicles.

GM has grown retail deliveries year-over-year every month since April 2015 and retail sales during the last 12 months were up 9 percent, more than double the industry’s 4 percent increase during that timeframe. Chevrolet was the fastest-growing full-line franchise in the U.S. industry in 2015 and holds that honor again so far this year, based on R.L. Polk retail registrations. Chevrolet had its best April for retail sales since 2006.

Through the first four months of the year, Chevrolet retail sales are up 9 percent. The all-new Malibu is having a major impact, with retail deliveries up 53 percent year to date and 45 percent in April. According to J.D. Power PIN, Malibu has nearly doubled its retail share from 5 percent in 2015 to 10 percent year to date. In addition, the new Cruze is beginning to arrive in dealers showrooms.

Buick has grown retail registrations faster this year than all but one other major brand, according to R.L. Polk, and posted a 13 percent year-over-year gain in April. Year to date, Buick retail deliveries are up 10 percent.  

“GM’s retail growth over the last 12 months has outpaced the industry by a wide margin because our redesigned large pickups and SUVs are hits, we made smart investments in new segments like small crossovers and mid-size pickups, and our momentum in the car business is accelerating with each new model introduction,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “GM bucked the industry trend with flat year-over incentives, we are managing with lean inventories and our Commercial and Government fleet business is growing.”

Looking ahead to May, GM expects to continue executing its retail-focused sales plan, and maintain disciplined inventories and incentives. The company’s deliveries to daily rental customers, which are less profitable than retail deliveries, are expected to be down approximately 18,000 to 20,000 units, year over year, which will make May the largest single-month decline of 2015-2016. Calendar year to date through April, GM’s rental deliveries are down more than 61,000 units from a year ago, as planned.

April Retail Sales and Business Highlights vs. 2015 (except as noted)

Chevrolet
  • The brand had its best retail April since 2006.
  • Car sales were up 4 percent, with the Camaro up 13 percent, Malibu up 45 percent, Spark up 2 percent and Volt up 139 percent.
  • Truck sales were up 19 percent, with the Colorado up 55 percent, Silverado up 14 percent, Suburban up 16 percent and Tahoe up 8 percent.
  • The Trax crossover was up 46 percent.
  • Malibu has its best year-to-date sales since 1980.
  • Silverado had its best April since 2006.
  • Tahoe and Suburban had their best year-to-date sales since 2008.
  • Colorado had its best month since launch of the all-new model.
GMC
  • The brand had its best April since 2004.
  • The Sierra had its best April ever, with deliveries up 14 percent, the Canyon was up 23 percent, and the Yukon had its 8th consecutive month of year-over-year growth, with deliveries up 13 percent. Yukon XL was up 8 percent.
Buick
  • The brand had its best April and calendar-year-to-date sales since 2005
  • The Encore was up 39 percent, Enclave up 2 percent
  • Buick sold 1,090 Cascada convertibles in April, the second full month in the market.
Cadillac
  • Cadillac ATPs were $54,600 in April, up approximately $1,600 from last year.
  • The Cadillac ATS, CTS and XTS all gained year-over-year retail market share in their respective segments.
Average Transaction Prices (ATP)/Incentives (J.D. Power PIN estimates)
  • GM’s ATPs, which reflect retail transaction prices after sales incentives, were $35,400 in April, more than $4,200 above the industry average.
  • GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of ATPs was 10.3 percent in April, well below domestic and many Asian competitors and in line with the industry average of 10.2 percent.
  • The industry increased incentives year over year by 0.7 percentage points, while GM incentives were in-line with a year ago.
Fleet and Commercial
  • GM’s fleet mix in April was approximately 23 percent of total sales, in line with the company’s full-year guidance of 20 percent.
  • Commercial sales grew 4 percent, for the best Commercial month since 2008. Government sales were up 21 percent and daily rental deliveries were down 39 percent.
  • Small business deliveries were up 20 percent in April and 10 percent calendar-year-to-date.
Industry Sales
  • GM estimates that the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in April was 17.6 million units. On a calendar-year-to-date basis, GM estimates the light vehicle SAAR was 17.4 million units.

post-10485-0-77191000-1462283955_thumb.j

Surprised a bit that the Nox was down...

Cruze will be new after this month....

No surprise on Sonic/Spark with gas prices down.....

I'm not surprised the Nox was down as it is very long in the tooth at this point but I am surprised by how much it is down. 

If there are 320 CT6's and 304 XT5's out there then where are the in depth reviews/comparisons of them????

I'm not surprised the Nox was down as it is very long in the tooth at this point but I am surprised by how much it is down. 

If there are 320 CT6's and 304 XT5's out there then where are the in depth reviews/comparisons of them????

I can tell you neither one have hit the press fleet yet. I was told this a few weeks ago when scheduling some GM vehicles for review. I don't know when they'll be hitting, but I have to guess it will be sometime in the near future.

I can tell you neither one have hit the press fleet yet. I was told this a few weeks ago when scheduling some GM vehicles for review. I don't know when they'll be hitting, but I have to guess it will be sometime in the near future.

I assumed so.. It is good to get the product into the consumer's hands as quick as possible but I have to believe if it was on the cover of X magazine it would help actually move some. 

Either way I am very eager to read about both new Cadillac products. 

Edited by ccap41

Sedan sales are dropping fast in all segments. They can probably start merging products like Regal and Verano, Spark and Sonic etc and just put more crossovers out. I don't know if this trend will reverse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sedan sales are dropping fast in all segments. They can probably start merging products like Regal and Verano, Spark and Sonic etc and just put more crossovers out. I don't know if this trend will reverse.

Eventually it will.. I think whenever it is gas goes back up people will think a little more about that extra 1-3mpg hit the CUV is taking. 

Cadillac vs Audi in 3 Key Cars:

A6+AllRoad ( 1619+147) vs CTS (1335)

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Audi 2492 sales vs Cadillac 3141. The A7 is really the only weird match up due to price... but still.. how is Audi still getting a pass and Cadillac gets blasted for its mid/large car sales?

• Upvote 2

The Audi A7 is priced $10,000 above CT6 for base model, but overall the A7 lines up well with the CT6 price.

A4 beat the ATS 2,983 to 1,737.  On overall sedan sales Audi is beating Cadillac, plus Audi has 3 crossovers that were all up big.

The thing about Audi is they don't even need the American market, they sell 1.7 million cars outside of the USA.  Cadillac is American market dependent.  Mercedes and BMW beat Audi here by wide margin, but in China Audi sells nearly as many cars as BMW and Mercedes combined.

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Audi 2492 sales vs Cadillac 3141. The A7 is really the only weird match up due to price... but still.. how is Audi still getting a pass and Cadillac gets blasted for its mid/large car sales?

Why did you not include A4 and ATS sales figures in your summary?

The Audi A7 is priced $10,000 above CT6 for base model, but overall the A7 lines up well with the CT6 price.

A4 beat the ATS 2,983 to 1,737.  On overall sedan sales Audi is beating Cadillac, plus Audi has 3 crossovers that were all up big.

The thing about Audi is they don't even need the American market, they sell 1.7 million cars outside of the USA.  Cadillac is American market dependent.  Mercedes and BMW beat Audi here by wide margin, but in China Audi sells nearly as many cars as BMW and Mercedes combined.

I'm not talking about global.. I am talking about US sales. Furthermore it is well known that in most areas Audi is competing pretty much on par with Cadillac.. and BUICK.. which then tells a different sales story

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Because it specifically says MID-LARGE. 

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why limit to make your point?

Why not include all competing sedans from both mfg's?

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why does it matter so much to you? He laid it out clear as day so splitting hairs over it is just silly.

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why does it matter so much to you? He laid it out clear as day so splitting hairs over it is just silly.

What does it matter to you that I find his selective sales comparison odd?

The S-class and E-class/CLS outsold all the mid-large Audi and Cadillacs combined.   The A6, A7, A8, CTS, CT6, XTS all have lousy sales.  Many buyers are moving toward crossovers, those buying a sedan must want the best or nothing.

Lincoln was up 20% and Cadillac down 28%.  Lincoln has Ford crossovers with wood and chrome added on and is growing (although still small) and Cadillac is shrinking despite the performance charachteristics of the Alpha chassis.  Most buyers don't care about perfoamnce sadly, they just want a lame crossover.  Bad news for us performance car fans, but that is where the market is going.

• Upvote 1

^ I'm being honest here.. With how that mess is quoted I have no clue if that's directed at me or somebody else.. 

The S-class and E-class/CLS outsold all the mid-large Audi and Cadillacs combined.   The A6, A7, A8, CTS, CT6, XTS all have lousy sales.  Many buyers are moving toward crossovers, those buying a sedan must want the best or nothing.

Lincoln was up 20% and Cadillac down 28%.  Lincoln has Ford crossovers with wood and chrome added on and is growing (although still small) and Cadillac is shrinking despite the performance charachteristics of the Alpha chassis.  Most buyers don't care about perfoamnce sadly, they just want a lame crossover.  Bad news for us performance car fans, but that is where the market is going.

Lincoln had nowhere to go but up and sure wasn't because of their sedans.

Honestly I'm surprised that the Camaro is not doing better. Kind of a head scratcher given how well it's been received by everyone that has reviewed it.

Honestly I'm surprised that the Camaro is not doing better. Kind of a head scratcher given how well it's been received by everyone that has reviewed it.

Lowest priced Camaro is still barely on lots. I don't kno what the f@#k GM is doing on that car, but if they want to regain the bottom sales they need to bring it. The 2.0L is just now hitting lots. Outta the 16,000 Camaros on sale.. Cars.com is reporting that only 1900 are 2.0L, and many of them are in transit

I think it's pretty obvious why it was done.. just say'n. 

It was done because I was comparing MID-LARGE sales between Caddy and Audi because I happen to own a CTS. 

• Upvote 1

I think 7,000 Camaros is pretty good.  Coupes are a hard sell.  Granted there are only a small handful of coupes left, but you aren't ever going to see big numbers out of a coupe.  Plus they did raise the price, the Camaro is in the Impala prince range.  Impala sold 9,000 units as a practical sedan, 7,000 out of a coupe is decent.

Young people tend not to buy sports cars like they used too, a lot go toward crossovers.  So the market fir a Camaro or Mustang isn't as big as it was 20 years ago.

Lowest priced Camaro is still barely on lots. I don't kno what the f@#k GM is doing on that car, but if they want to regain the bottom sales they need to bring it. The 2.0L is just now hitting lots. Outta the 16,000 Camaros on sale.. Cars.com is reporting that only 1900 are 2.0L, and many of them are in transit

It was done because I was comparing MID-LARGE sales between Caddy and Audi because I happen to own a CTS. 

There is a 2.0T at my dealer... 41k(marked down to 37k). WTF? Why would that car optioned that way be stocked? I understand it can be optioned and built like that but it doesn't seem like THAT is how many people will be buying them. For 41k you can have a well packaged SS...which is what any sane person would do. 

There is a 2.0T at my dealer... 41k(marked down to 37k). WTF? Why would that car optioned that way be stocked? I understand it can be optioned and built like that but it doesn't seem like THAT is how many people will be buying them. For 41k you can have a well packaged SS...which is what any sane person would do. 

Bottom line is that the Camaro isn't cheap. U want performance?? U are gonna pay for it. A friend of mine just bought his son a WRX and paid $38K for it..  They live in New Hampshire and wanted AWD. I don't even have to get into the fact that the Camaro really is a Cadillac. GM is getting its investment back via Chevy.. as it should have been doing from git. Had the CAmaro come out first.. on Alpha.. before the CTS and ATS.. I would haven't thought any worse of it. Its only American cars that get dumped on when platform sharing comes into play

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      After a month-long strike and threat earlier this week, General Motors and Unifor Local 88 have reached an tentative agreement for workers at the CAMI assembly plant. Last night, Unifor Local 88 made the announcement via email to its workers. Details of the agreement are being kept under wraps until a ratification vote is held on Monday. If the agreement is approved, workers will return to the plant starting at 11 PM Monday night.
      "We have addressed job security which will be in this deal. I think it's a fair agreement  ... and everybody is looking forward to going back to work and making vehicles their customers want, knowing there will be some sort of job security there," said Mike Van Boekel, the union's plant chair at CAMI to CBC News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      After a month-long strike and threat earlier this week, General Motors and Unifor Local 88 have reached an tentative agreement for workers at the CAMI assembly plant. Last night, Unifor Local 88 made the announcement via email to its workers. Details of the agreement are being kept under wraps until a ratification vote is held on Monday. If the agreement is approved, workers will return to the plant starting at 11 PM Monday night.
      "We have addressed job security which will be in this deal. I think it's a fair agreement  ... and everybody is looking forward to going back to work and making vehicles their customers want, knowing there will be some sort of job security there," said Mike Van Boekel, the union's plant chair at CAMI to CBC News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News
    • By William Maley
      The news isn't getting any better at General Motors' CAMI plant where workers have been on strike for a month after the automaker and Canadian union Unifor were unable to reach an agreement. Already, the strike has caused GM to make adjustments and idle some of their plants in North America, and there are concerns about the shrinking stock of Chevrolet Equinoxes. 
      But now the stakes have been raised. According to Reuters and Automotive News, General Motors issued a warning to leaders at Unifor that it will start winding down production of the Equinox at CAMI unless the strike is called off. Unifor leader Jerry Dias was told by GM officials that the automaker would begin ramping up Equinox production at the San Luis Potosi and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plants if the strike was not called off.
      "GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico. They have declared war on Canada," Diaz told Reuters.
      GM had no immediate comment on Dias' statement when reached by Reuters.
      According to a source at GM, the discussions between them and Unifor have been going nowhere and there is "a high degree of frustration." Because of this, GM is planning to study how quickly key suppliers for the Equinox could move their operations down to Mexico. No final decision on CAMI's fate has been decided according to the source, but the time frame for getting a deal done is narrowing.
      Mexico has been the dividing point between GM and Unifor. The union objected to GM's decision to lay off 600 workers at CAMI when it moved production of the GMC Terrain to Mexico. Unifor wants CAMI to be the lead plant for Equinox production by "giving it more production if Equinox sales rise and making it the last to scale back production if sales fall." But GM has invested $800 million into the plant for retooling to build the new Equinox. The automaker believes this should be enough commitment and putting it into writing isn't necessary. According to the source, there is no such language in any of the other union contracts.
      The strike has gotten so bad that the Government of Ontario has stepped in, urging both groups to resolve this rift.
      “I feel like we’re engaged in a poker game, but the interests of Ontario are sitting on the table right now,” said Brad Duguid, Ontario's Economic Development Minister.
      “It’s an uncomfortable place to be, obviously, and we’d really like to urge the parties to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible before permanent damage is done.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The news isn't getting any better at General Motors' CAMI plant where workers have been on strike for a month after the automaker and Canadian union Unifor were unable to reach an agreement. Already, the strike has caused GM to make adjustments and idle some of their plants in North America, and there are concerns about the shrinking stock of Chevrolet Equinoxes. 
      But now the stakes have been raised. According to Reuters and Automotive News, General Motors issued a warning to leaders at Unifor that it will start winding down production of the Equinox at CAMI unless the strike is called off. Unifor leader Jerry Dias was told by GM officials that the automaker would begin ramping up Equinox production at the San Luis Potosi and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plants if the strike was not called off.
      "GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico. They have declared war on Canada," Diaz told Reuters.
      GM had no immediate comment on Dias' statement when reached by Reuters.
      According to a source at GM, the discussions between them and Unifor have been going nowhere and there is "a high degree of frustration." Because of this, GM is planning to study how quickly key suppliers for the Equinox could move their operations down to Mexico. No final decision on CAMI's fate has been decided according to the source, but the time frame for getting a deal done is narrowing.
      Mexico has been the dividing point between GM and Unifor. The union objected to GM's decision to lay off 600 workers at CAMI when it moved production of the GMC Terrain to Mexico. Unifor wants CAMI to be the lead plant for Equinox production by "giving it more production if Equinox sales rise and making it the last to scale back production if sales fall." But GM has invested $800 million into the plant for retooling to build the new Equinox. The automaker believes this should be enough commitment and putting it into writing isn't necessary. According to the source, there is no such language in any of the other union contracts.
      The strike has gotten so bad that the Government of Ontario has stepped in, urging both groups to resolve this rift.
      “I feel like we’re engaged in a poker game, but the interests of Ontario are sitting on the table right now,” said Brad Duguid, Ontario's Economic Development Minister.
      “It’s an uncomfortable place to be, obviously, and we’d really like to urge the parties to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible before permanent damage is done.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)