New Saturn Logo A Possibility

Guest YellowJacket894

"Color has a tendency to make things look less premium."

Why is white associated with rental cars then?

It's rather contradictory when Cadillac has plenty of red in their emblem, yet Saturn is becoming "too premium" for red.

That said, I think a black background would look better.

Making the Saturn logo monochromatic, and removing the border, well, gets close to the new Oldsmobile logo :AH-HA_wink: You know, a circle with a angled slash going through it.

Anyhoo, I liked what they said about changes to the Buick's interiors... the ideas sound great... having them come to reality would be even greater. But I like the fact that some unique changes and ideas are in the works for GM vehicles. They need them.

Better yet.. have nothing behind the Saturn logo.  Give it a clear background and maybe get rid of the border.

As a Graphic Design major I can tell you that it wouldn't happen. Without the background it would become harder to make out at a distance. That said, I think a black background with chrome forground would look great.

It's kind of like the BMW roundel. You can get brand new ones in different colors (the blue usually replaced by another color). You can get them in black, silver, red, carbon fiber, anything...or there are overlays available with colors/patterns of your choice of course.

You don't see BMW messing with the logos...let the consumer mess with it if they want to change it so badly.

Part of me understands the need for this.

Saturn's image is undergoing such a major transformation. A revised logo could have people who'd otherwise immediately dismiss a Saturn take a second look.

As a Graphic Design major I can tell you that it wouldn't happen. Without the background it would become harder to make out at a distance. That said, I think a black background with chrome forground would look great.

Well, I think if you make the cars look unique to Saturn, it shouldn't matter if the logo is easy to see from a distance... though, I do see what you mean.

And Ravenfreak, I don't have programs like photoshop. The only paint program is MSpaint and... well.. I don't have to clarify any further. I was looking for someone with an image editing program and with skills to do it.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Well, I think if you make the cars look unique to Saturn, it shouldn't matter if the logo is easy to see from a distance... though, I do see what you mean.

And Ravenfreak, I don't have programs like photoshop.  The only paint program is MSpaint and... well.. I don't have to clarify any further.  I was looking for someone with an image editing program and with skills to do it.

Honestly...if u want to make the logo part thats red black, all you have to do is take of the emblem from the car and pop it open and use a black permanent marker to color over the red. simple as pie

I think changing the logo now is a stupid move. No where on my SKY does the word SATURN appear (unlike other Saturn models that have it imbossed in the rear bumper). There are red & chrome SATURN logos on the car - front & rear. That is how people have identified the car as being a Saturn. Just last night going to the movies, a township police office cruising the lot saw me park, then circled the car to check it out and then rolled up to me and said "That car's a SATURN? Doesn't look like any SATURN I've ever seen! It's beautiful.". If you change the logo and people don't know what it means (hey, SATURN has established a reputation with that logo for 15 years now - people know by looking at the current logo that it's a SATURN). GM is really stupid - changine great car names (Grand AM to G6, Regal/Century to LaCrosse, etc) and now wanting to change logos again - didn't they learn from Oldsmobile???? And btw, the logo on the steering wheel in both my SKY and in the VUE has already been changed to a staiinless steel-looking version.

It's kind of like the BMW roundel. You can get brand new ones in different colors (the blue usually replaced by another color). You can get them in black, silver, red, carbon fiber, anything...or there are overlays available with colors/patterns of your choice of course.

You don't see BMW messing with the logos...let the consumer mess with it if they want to change it so badly.

The BMW roundel in red was the logo of the Eisenach Motor Works, producing pre-war BMWs in East Germany in the former BMW factory in Eisenach (originally the Dixi factory, producing Austin 7s under licence when it was bought by BMW—the first 3-Series from the fiscal hp). GM razed the factory and built a state-of-the-art plant producing Corsas on the site. Edited by thegriffon

Let's have a C&G design contest! Here's my entry:

Posted Image

Even though I have not seen the otehr entries I vote for WMJ :pbjtime:

but steering wheels never got color emblems in the past

I had a '92 Regal with a color logo.

My `92 Century, my dad's `92 LeSabre, my brother's `94 Century, the current generation Malibu steering wheel, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

With the current Saturn logo, you look at it, and it seems like someone put a zoom box on an Ampersand ( & symbol). You take a closer look at it, and it appears to be the ringed planet.

I think they should make it more obviously a ringed planet in the logo, maybe something like the Sci Fi channel logo.

Ringed planets = teh win

With the current Saturn logo, you look at it, and it seems like someone put a zoom box on an Ampersand ( & symbol).  You take a closer look at it, and it appears to be the ringed planet.

I think they should make it more obviously a ringed planet in the logo, maybe something like the Sci Fi channel logo.

Ringed planets = teh win

I was thinking about that - What if the logo were 3D, as if it were stamped or carved out - if the planet were actually a convex sphere, rather than just a line, and the ring appeared to wrap around the sphere.

Posted Image

I'll play with it if I get a few minutes. If anyone else wants to photochop that, feel free.

-RBB

I was thinking about that - What if the logo were 3D, as if it were stamped or carved out - if the planet were actually a convex sphere, rather than just a line, and the ring appeared to wrap around the sphere.

The current emblems are 3D.