• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

GMC News: 2017 GMC Canyon Follows Colorado With New V6, Plus New Trims

Last week, we brought you the details of the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado and its new 3.6L V6 and eight-speed automatic. As we noted in our story, a similar announcement for the GMC Canyon was likely incoming. That day has come.

Today, GMC has announced the 2017 Canyon would be getting the updated 3.6L V6 and eight-speed automatic. If you want more details on the updated powertrain, we highly recommend checking out our Colorado story. If you want the TL;DR version,

• 308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque (up 3 horsepower and 6 pound-feet)
  • Engine boasts a revised direct injection system, updated variable valve timing, and cylinder deactivation
  • Eight-speed automatic (only on the V6) features a higher first-gear and lower rear-axle ratios

Unlike the Colorado, the 2017 Canyon does come with a few more updates. First is a new All Terrain X model. Following in the footsteps of the Sierra All Terrain X, the Canyon variant gets a set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 255/65R17 all-terrain tires, distinctive 17-inch wheels, an off-road suspension, hill descent control, and a few other goodies. 2017 will also GMC launch the Canyon Denali which brings a number of luxury appointments such as leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, Bose sound system, and a set of 20-inch wheels.

The 2017 GMC Canyon arrives at dealers late this year.

Source: GMC

Press Release is on Page 2

GMC Canyon Extends Momentum with Broader 2017 Lineup

• New Canyon Denali, All Terrain X expand choices, offer new propulsion system

DETROIT – Building on the momentum of an 18-percent sales increase so far this year, GMC today announced a broader 2017 GMC Canyon lineup led by the new, range-topping Canyon Denali and new, off-road-inspired All Terrain X.

Like all GMC Denali models, the new Canyon Denali is distinguished by chrome exterior details and unique wheels, along with exclusive interior trim and content. It also features a new 3.6L V-6 engine that’s paired with a segment-first eight-speed automatic transmission.

This new propulsion system is offered across the 2017 Canyon lineup, including the new All Terrain X package, which takes the popular All Terrain model farther down the trail, with Goodyear DuraTrac all-terrain tires, all-weather floor liners and more. 

“Canyon continues to carve out its own niche as the only premium truck in the midsize segment,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “With a broader 2017 Canyon lineup and the redesigned Acadia, GMC is offering more choices for finding the premium truck or SUV that matches customers’ design preferences and capability needs.”

Additional new and revised features for the 2017 Canyon lineup include:

• New IntelliLink radio with 7-inch-diagonal color touchscreen
  • Standard Teen Driver Mode through IntelliLink
  • Available heated steering wheel
  • Exterior colors Dark Slate Metallic, Mineral Metallic and Red Quartz Metallic

Canyon Denali
In addition to its Denali-signature chrome grille, the 2017 Canyon Denali features specific wheels — 20-inch ultra-bright machined aluminum with painted accents — along with tubular chrome assist steps, polished exhaust tip (V-6 only) and spray-on bedliner.

Inside, a Jet Black interior features unique leather-appointed, heated and ventilated front seats — exclusive content in the Canyon lineup — along with unique instrument panel and console trim and Denali-logo sill plates and floor mats. Additional standard features include:

• Heated steering wheel
  • GMC IntelliLink with Navigation and an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen
  • 4G Wi-Fi hotspot
  • Automatic climate control
  • Full-color driver information center
  • Remote start
  • Bose® premium seven-speaker audio system
  • Two USB charging ports on the rear of the center console and another inside the console
  • Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning

All Terrain X
This special version of the popular All Terrain package offered on the SLE model is the most off-road-capable Canyon for those who travel beyond the paved path. The X adds Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac P255/65R17 all-terrain tires and all-weather floor liners to All Terrain content, which includes:

• Off-road suspension and transfer case shield
  • Body-color grille surround and rear step bumper
  • Unique interior with red stitching and heated front seats
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Unique 17-inch aluminum wheels
  • 3-inch-diameter round step bars
  • Spray-on bedliner
  • Remote start

Automatic climate control and sliding rear window
The All Terrain model requires the new 3.6L V-6/eight-speed automatic propulsion system. The 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine is available.

3.6L V-6 and eight-speed automatic
The new 3.6L/eight-speed propulsion system offers stronger, more confident acceleration and smoother shift performance than the Canyon’s previous V-6/six-speed combination. This new combination focuses on refining everyday driving performance, including accelerating from a stop, passing on the highway and cruising at a constant speed.

The 3.6L leverages technologies such as continuously variable valve timing, direct injection and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) to balance performance and efficiency. It is rated at an SAE-certified 308 hp (230 kW) and 275 lb-ft of torque (373 Nm).

Canyon’s new Hydra-Matic 8L45 eight-speed automatic complements the 3.6L with a technologically advanced design and control system that supports smoother, more refined performance. Smaller “steps” between the gears as the vehicle accelerates allow the transmission to shift quicker, with almost imperceptible upshifts.

The 8L45 eight-speed also has a wider 7.0 gear ratio that enables a numerically higher first gear ratio — helping drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering — and numerically lower overdrive ratios that reduce engine rpm on the highway. A lower engine speed has two benefits: It can reduce fuel consumption to enhance efficiency and it reduces engine noise for a quieter cabin.

The new powertrain supports a 7,000-pound max trailering rating that is second in the segment only to the Canyon’s available 2.8L Duramax diesel, which is rated at 7,700 pounds.

The 2017 model year updates, including the new V-6 and eight-speed combination, will arrive at dealerships in the fourth quarter of this year. 

View full article

• Upvote 1

Happy that GMC and Chevy are rolling out updates far more often and working to stay competitive, but the engine is just Meh to me.

I still am not impressed with over reved V6 engines with little torque in comparison to HP. This is a failure that you have to pay more for the bigger engine that performs less than many Turbo 4 bangers or Electric motors.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well I love the 4.3... but EVERY OTHER MIDSIZE TRUCK has an OHC engine.  Also, none have an electric motor.  Way too girly.

This engine is optional on the Cadillac CT6 and CTS, so if it is good enough to be an option on a Cadillac, I am sure it is good enough to be on a Canyon/Colorado.  I think truck buyers think they need a V6, that is why the turbo 4 isn't in these trucks, even though the turbo 4 has more torque at a lower rpm and would make more sense in a truck that isn't going to be driven at 5500 rpm a whole lot.

On a side note, I think GM could make a unibody pickup smaller than the Colorado/Canyon

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I love the 4.3... but EVERY OTHER MIDSIZE TRUCK has an OHC engine.  Also, none have an electric motor.  Way too girly.

If you mean "way too girly" as being: Hell Hath No Fury As A Woman Scorned, then yeah....electric powered cars and trucks could be really powerful and scary stuff....

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If you mean "way too girly" as being: Hell Hath No Fury As A Woman Scorned, then yeah....electric powered cars and trucks could be really powerful and scary stuff....

I'm shakin' in my boots there, Sparkles!  :)

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I'm shakin' in my boots there, Sparkles!  :)

Piss off yer wife and you will be pissin' in yer pants there Sparky....:omfg:

Wasn't tryna piss ya off!  Please give me another chance.  :smilewide:

• Upvote 1

Divorce-Form.jpg

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Wasn't tryna piss ya off!  Please give me another chance.  :smilewide:

Does that answer yer question? :cussing:

• Upvote 1

I like the changes and i saw some where they will bring a sun roof option this time too. 

The V6 is more than enough for this vehicle. I have actually driven it several times and even the 3.0 version in out Terrain is a good balance of power and economy even with the 19" wheels. 

As for the 4.3 I am not sure if it would fit or not since many of todays cars are made for the 60 Degree V6 or just the 4 cylinder. 

The one Concern I have is this truck will get stupid expensive even more so than now. A loaded Z71 package now in crew cab can go $48K now. I expect a Denali may be at least $50K in Crew form. There is a limit people will pay and we are close to it now. 

If GM wants people to down size to the smaller more efficient trucks they need to get the price better in line. 

I really expect this truck to replace the half ton in the future. The CAFE breaks are much easier on the 3/4 ton and larger and I expect the Full Size to be move as a 3/4 rating as the primary model and the lighter model will be the mid size. 

As for electric. Well few guys want to plug in a truck and the Volt system would be very expensive in the truck. I expect we will see some form of this in the future but prices have to come down as few bought the Hybrid SUV models and even less would buy a Chevy truck that is not loaded for $80K. Also if they priced it cheaper it would kill the profits per unit and this is the cash cow on the market. 

GM screwed themselves in the Hybrid of full size SUVs as they gave into oil companies rather than price it as a loss leader to begin to get more sold and get quantity built up to generate long term profits. Those that have the Hybrid Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade love them and how quiet they are.

GM was wrong in their approach of marketing and pushing these rides and only looking at it as a compliance ride.

I think at the proper price point a hybrid or EV truck can sell just fine.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

GM screwed themselves in the Hybrid of full size SUVs as they gave into oil companies rather than price it as a loss leader to begin to get more sold and get quantity built up to generate long term profits. Those that have the Hybrid Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade love them and how quiet they are.

GM was wrong in their approach of marketing and pushing these rides and only looking at it as a compliance ride.

LOL

On 9/2/2016 at 7:25 PM, dfelt said:

They gave in to no one. 

At the time hybrids were very expensive in most all types. Add that cost to an already high price SUV and with gas prices low no one cared. 

We will see a return of this but low oil prices as it is still trading cheap is not going to spur it. The fact we have higher CAFE coming will as they have no choice. You can kill all the cylinders with out a back up. 

GM tried to sell them as technology and to be honest people for the most part were "Cool" till they saw the added price and then said I can do with out it. The many folks here with them bought the dealer demo at a discount to where it made sense. 

Lets face it large SUV drivers are not tree huggers or worried about global warming. Selling them higher priced hybrid at the time was like selling beer in a baptist church.  Times are changing as are attitudes and the price of technology. This will be revisited at some point and better accepted also priced. 

16 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

They gave in to no one. 

At the time hybrids were very expensive in most all types. Add that cost to an already high price SUV and with gas prices low no one cared. 

We will see a return of this but low oil prices as it is still trading cheap is not going to spur it. The fact we have higher CAFE coming will as they have no choice. You can kill all the cylinders with out a back up. 

GM tried to sell them as technology and to be honest people for the most part were "Cool" till they saw the added price and then said I can do with out it. The many folks here with them bought the dealer demo at a discount to where it made sense. 

Lets face it large SUV drivers are not tree huggers or worried about global warming. Selling them higher priced hybrid at the time was like selling beer in a baptist church.  Times are changing as are attitudes and the price of technology. This will be revisited at some point and better accepted also priced. 

I understand the point your making and know for a fact that the hybrids sold well in the west coast without discounts. Yet GM still failed to market them properly and make people aware of them.

This has been GM's downfall, bring out an outstanding auto, market for a month or two and then move onto something else and forget about it.

I cannot tell you how many people who love their full size SUVs and were not aware GM used to make a hybrid version. Even with the increased cost like a diesel, at least on the west coast, if people were aware of them they bought them.

GM failed and has always failed to proper continue to market auto's after the initial introduction. After all at the price point, many who leased and even those that bought will not trade in in a year or even two but would around year 3 and if they are not having it marketed to them over time, they will forget.

People FORGOT about the Hybrid SUVs due to a lack of marketing.

The problem is California and the other two Starbucks states are not enough. While they sold good for that area the sales of large SUV's are just stronger else where and too few people wanted them or were willing to pay for them.

As for Diesels people do not buy them for the environment. They by them for power, noise and MPG when towing. 

GMs only sin here was like many of their other projects under old GM. They bring something to market too soon and under developed. Like the 8-6-4 it was a great idea but came too early to have the right computer technology to handle it right. Today it is a normal thing and easy to do back then it was not all that great. 

The GM hybrids were expensive and limited in their effectiveness. Today if they can get the price down i think you would have more takers. The price is a stumbling bock though. Also yet the rest of America holds little interest in hybrids if they are buying a large suv. 

Now that Jerry Brown signed California away on the new global warming bill. It will be interesting as to  how many companies react. There has been thoughts about limited models or walking away if they kept up their demands for laws that are difficult to reach and would leave many with products few even there would want. 

I know with my firm we have jumped though many hoops for CARB and even stopped selling some products there as they are just not worth the cost involved to bring to market. 

They have made doing business so difficult on even so many simple products it is ridiculous. 

As for GM's last attempt I saw it more as testing the waters and the fact there just was not much interest. Even now few large SUV models offer any hybrid option from anyone. 

I see it coming back when they have no choice and when the market may be more open to it across the nation. 

Edited by hyperv6

@hyperv6 I see your point but still think if marketing was done better and they blanketed the whole US properly, it would have sold better. The Hybrid SUVs was a system that was never in my mind marketed or had the story of what it got you told properly.

This is much like the GM AWS for full size trucks. GM should have just made it standard on all 1500, 2500 and full size SUVs. AWS is awesome and makes driving a full size truck or suv especially with a trailer so much better. Sadly, GM introduced it and did not bother marketing it or clearly stating the benefits, but you talk to those that have their AWS trucks with this feature and they have no desire to give it up due to the ease of moving a large auto around in tight spaces.

AWS like Hybrid should have been standard on all full size trucks and suvs imho.

Simplicity is key to making a durable truck.  Plus... nobody makes a large hybrid SUV any more because there is no measurable benefit to them.  No one bought them, and not just from GM... from no one.

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

@hyperv6 I see your point but still think if marketing was done better and they blanketed the whole US properly, it would have sold better. The Hybrid SUVs was a system that was never in my mind marketed or had the story of what it got you told properly.

This is much like the GM AWS for full size trucks. GM should have just made it standard on all 1500, 2500 and full size SUVs. AWS is awesome and makes driving a full size truck or suv especially with a trailer so much better. Sadly, GM introduced it and did not bother marketing it or clearly stating the benefits, but you talk to those that have their AWS trucks with this feature and they have no desire to give it up due to the ease of moving a large auto around in tight spaces.

AWS like Hybrid should have been standard on all full size trucks and suvs imho.

Here again it was a great option well before its time again. 

The 4 wheel steering worked great as I have driven it but it removed load capacity and added a lot of weight at a time GM was removing the weight from their trucks. 

Not to mention it was very expensive to add to the truck and even made it wider in the back.  

While it makes the truck easier to drive in tight places it also was not something most truck owners were worried about. 

I would expect to see it again someday if they can make it lighter and with more capacity but till then it matters little. 

By the way GM did market it well as that is how I got to drive one in one of their ride and drives where they were really pushing it and they even had TV spots they had on often. 

If you had made it standard many would have hated the added cost as it was far from cheap and the marketing would have taken a big hit from the others for their more capacity. Finally you would have had a truck as heavy or more than the already over weight Ford. 

4 Wheel steering is not a fix few are asking for anywhere. Even in the cars it has never really done well. 

Also like Blu said people in trucks look for reliability and cost as so many are used in industry and business. They are looking at how long it will last and how much is it going to cost me per month and year to keep on the road.  If their guy has to back up to make a tight turn they are ok with it as long as it did not cost them more. 

It came down to cost.  The check-box for the hybrid SUVs cost $10,000 and people just wouldn't spend that kind of money even for what was at the time the most advanced hybrid system in production. (The Pruis system, for all the hype it gets, it ridiculously simple in concept). The technology wasn't wasted though... even though the CT6 PHEV's transmission is a clean-sheet design, it borrows heavily from the original 2-mode hybrid playbook but instead uses the Volt's upgraded battery design. 

The trucks on the other hand, were a different deal. They gave it the interesting option of a 110v outlet that actually had some amperage to it (if I tried to run a power saw off the 110v outlet in my Encore, I'd probably blow a fuse), but then reduced the payload and towing capacities. It could have been a good truck for contractors, but only if they didn't need the full payload capacity of a regular Silverado.... plus... cost. If you had a business where you needed to put a lot of miles on the truck, needed a bed outlet, but didn't haul heavy loads, the Silverado Hybrid was probably the truck for you. 

Cost is the same reason you don't see very many Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesels out there. It's a $4500 upgrade and only available once you've already stepped up to the $37k Limited model. 

I've seen a good number of Ram Eco Diesels in base, black bumper trim.  Ppl are willing to give up frivolous things for the economy and long life of a diesel engine.  Maybe the reason the diesel is limited on the Jeeps is manufacturing capacity.  It should be available on the base Laredo, and of course the Wrangler.  Would love to see a diesel Renegade here in the USA.

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I've seen a good number of Ram Eco Diesels in base, black bumper trim.  Ppl are willing to give up frivolous things for the economy and long life of a diesel engine.  Maybe the reason the diesel is limited on the Jeeps is manufacturing capacity.  It should be available on the base Laredo, and of course the Wrangler.  Would love to see a diesel Renegade here in the USA.

Trucks are a different matter and the Ram EcoDiesel is the only truck in the segment to carry a light duty diesel at the moment.   Truck buyers are generally different than SUV drivers. 

Of course I'd like to see the diesel being offered in lower trims; I'd like to see the hemi being offered in lower trims too.... but that 'taint the way it is.  Any Jeep you can get with an EcoDiesel you can get for $4500 less without the diesel.... and for an SUV buyer, it is likely as not to be less important when there is only a 5mpg difference highway between the Ecodiesel and the Pentastar.  Unless you plan to be towing 7500lbs, there is no economic point to the Ecodiesel. 

On 9/10/2016 at 4:54 AM, ocnblu said:

Simplicity is key to making a durable truck.  Plus... nobody makes a large hybrid SUV any more because there is no measurable benefit to them.  No one bought them, and not just from GM... from no one.

+1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It is no secret Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has been dealing with a number of issues with the 2019 Ram 1500 launch. As we reported back in April, the  Sterling Heights Assembly plant was only operating at 60 percent of where the company wants it to be due to various issues. FCA announced that it would be investing $300 million to try and get production back on track, along with extending the production schedule to six days a week and running though Independence Day and Labor day.
      But as Automotive News reports, there is a new issue that is likely driving customers away from the 2019 Ram 1500. Currently, the 1500 is only available with the 5.7L HEMI V8. The 3.6L V6 and 5.7L HEMI V8 with the 48-volt mild hybrid system are no where to be seen.
      "I have customers looking for them and asking about them every week," said an unnamed Ram dealer in Michigan.
      It is unclear why neither one of these powertrains are available. Automotive News has two possible guesses. One is that FCA engineers are still doing some fine-tuning work to the mild-hybrid system before putting them into production. The other comes down to the EPA becoming more  stringent with automakers in terms of emission and fuel economy testing.
      While FCA is quick to point out that retail sales were up 18 percent in May to 27,011, we can't help but wonder if that increase is due to the massive incentives that are being put on the last-generation model. Through May, the average incentive on a last-generation Ram 1500 stood at $6.578 according to Autodata Corp. But the lack of new engines for the 2019 Ram 1500 is hurting, as year-to-date sales are down 8.4 percent. Dave Sullivan, a senior analyst with AutoPacific says the lack of V6 this long after the launch is becoming a problem.
      "In the old truck, the V-6 represented about 20 percent of sales," he said.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It is no secret Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has been dealing with a number of issues with the 2019 Ram 1500 launch. As we reported back in April, the  Sterling Heights Assembly plant was only operating at 60 percent of where the company wants it to be due to various issues. FCA announced that it would be investing $300 million to try and get production back on track, along with extending the production schedule to six days a week and running though Independence Day and Labor day.
      But as Automotive News reports, there is a new issue that is likely driving customers away from the 2019 Ram 1500. Currently, the 1500 is only available with the 5.7L HEMI V8. The 3.6L V6 and 5.7L HEMI V8 with the 48-volt mild hybrid system are no where to be seen.
      "I have customers looking for them and asking about them every week," said an unnamed Ram dealer in Michigan.
      It is unclear why neither one of these powertrains are available. Automotive News has two possible guesses. One is that FCA engineers are still doing some fine-tuning work to the mild-hybrid system before putting them into production. The other comes down to the EPA becoming more  stringent with automakers in terms of emission and fuel economy testing.
      While FCA is quick to point out that retail sales were up 18 percent in May to 27,011, we can't help but wonder if that increase is due to the massive incentives that are being put on the last-generation model. Through May, the average incentive on a last-generation Ram 1500 stood at $6.578 according to Autodata Corp. But the lack of new engines for the 2019 Ram 1500 is hurting, as year-to-date sales are down 8.4 percent. Dave Sullivan, a senior analyst with AutoPacific says the lack of V6 this long after the launch is becoming a problem.
      "In the old truck, the V-6 represented about 20 percent of sales," he said.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      (Author’s Note: Before you ask, no this isn’t a typo. I really did drive a 2017 Tacoma in 2018. Due to some circumstances, the Tacoma took the place of another vehicle at the last minute. I didn’t realize it was a 2017 model until I saw the sticker. I’ll make note of the changes for 2018 towards the end of the piece.)
      I’ll likely make some people annoyed with this line: The Toyota Tacoma is the Jeep Wrangler of the pickup world. Before you start getting banging on your keyboard, telling me how I am wrong, allow me to make my case. The two models have a number of similarities; off-road pedigree, not changing much in terms of design or mechanicals; and somewhat uncomfortable when driven on the road.
      Since our last review of the Tacoma, not much has changed with the exterior. The TRD Off-Road package does make the Tacoma look somewhat mean with a new grille, 16-inch wheels wrapped meaty off-road tires, and a khaki paint color that looks like it came from an army base.  The Tacoma’s interior is very user-friendly with a comprehensive and simple dash layout. Most controls are where you expect to find them and in easy reach. But some controls are placed in some odd locations. A key example is the hill descent control which is next to the dome lights on the ceiling. Comfort is still almost nonexistent in the Tacoma. The front seats are quite firm and provide decent support. No height adjustment means a fair number of people will need to make comprises in comfort to find the right seating position. The back seat can fit adults, provided you don’t have anyone tall sitting in the front. Otherwise, legroom becomes very scarce. Under the hood is a 3.5L V6 producing 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic and four-wheel drive. At low speeds, the engine pulls quite strongly and smoothly. It is very different when traveling on the highway as the engine really needs to be worked to get up to speed at a somewhat decent rate. Part of this comes down to the automatic which likes to quickly upshift to maximize fuel economy. There is a ‘sport’ mode on the transmission that locks out fifth and sixth gear, but only improves performance marginally. Fuel economy is towards the bottom with EPA figures of 18 City/23 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed around 19.5 mpg. TRD Off-Road brings forth a retuned suspension setup featuring a set of Bilstein shocks. Usually, this makes the ride is somewhat softer. But in the Tacoma, the ride is quite choppy on any surface that isn’t smooth. Steering is very slow and heavy, making tight maneuvers a bit difficult. A fair amount of wind and road noise is apparent. Any changes to be aware of for the 2018 Tacoma? The only change of note is the addition of Toyota Safety Sense-P. This suite of active safety features includes automatic emergency braking, automatic high-beams, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, and lane departure warning. The TRD Off-Road will set you back $35,515 for the Double Cab with the Long Bed - the 2018 model is about $1,410 more. With a few options, our as-tested price came to $40,617. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Tacoma, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Tacoma Double Cab with Long Bed
      Trim: TRD Off-Road
      Engine: 3.5L D-4S V6 with Dual VVT-i 
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 278 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 265 @ 4,600 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/23/20
      Curb Weight: 4,480 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $35,515
      As Tested Price: $40,617 (Includes $960.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium & Technology Package - $3,035.00
      Tonneau Cover - $650.00
      Carpet Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protector - $208.00
      Mudguards - $129.00
      Bed Mat - $120.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      (Author’s Note: Before you ask, no this isn’t a typo. I really did drive a 2017 Tacoma in 2018. Due to some circumstances, the Tacoma took the place of another vehicle at the last minute. I didn’t realize it was a 2017 model until I saw the sticker. I’ll make note of the changes for 2018 towards the end of the piece.)
      I’ll likely make some people annoyed with this line: The Toyota Tacoma is the Jeep Wrangler of the pickup world. Before you start getting banging on your keyboard, telling me how I am wrong, allow me to make my case. The two models have a number of similarities; off-road pedigree, not changing much in terms of design or mechanicals; and somewhat uncomfortable when driven on the road.
      Since our last review of the Tacoma, not much has changed with the exterior. The TRD Off-Road package does make the Tacoma look somewhat mean with a new grille, 16-inch wheels wrapped meaty off-road tires, and a khaki paint color that looks like it came from an army base.  The Tacoma’s interior is very user-friendly with a comprehensive and simple dash layout. Most controls are where you expect to find them and in easy reach. But some controls are placed in some odd locations. A key example is the hill descent control which is next to the dome lights on the ceiling. Comfort is still almost nonexistent in the Tacoma. The front seats are quite firm and provide decent support. No height adjustment means a fair number of people will need to make comprises in comfort to find the right seating position. The back seat can fit adults, provided you don’t have anyone tall sitting in the front. Otherwise, legroom becomes very scarce. Under the hood is a 3.5L V6 producing 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic and four-wheel drive. At low speeds, the engine pulls quite strongly and smoothly. It is very different when traveling on the highway as the engine really needs to be worked to get up to speed at a somewhat decent rate. Part of this comes down to the automatic which likes to quickly upshift to maximize fuel economy. There is a ‘sport’ mode on the transmission that locks out fifth and sixth gear, but only improves performance marginally. Fuel economy is towards the bottom with EPA figures of 18 City/23 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed around 19.5 mpg. TRD Off-Road brings forth a retuned suspension setup featuring a set of Bilstein shocks. Usually, this makes the ride is somewhat softer. But in the Tacoma, the ride is quite choppy on any surface that isn’t smooth. Steering is very slow and heavy, making tight maneuvers a bit difficult. A fair amount of wind and road noise is apparent. Any changes to be aware of for the 2018 Tacoma? The only change of note is the addition of Toyota Safety Sense-P. This suite of active safety features includes automatic emergency braking, automatic high-beams, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, and lane departure warning. The TRD Off-Road will set you back $35,515 for the Double Cab with the Long Bed - the 2018 model is about $1,410 more. With a few options, our as-tested price came to $40,617. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Tacoma, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Tacoma Double Cab with Long Bed
      Trim: TRD Off-Road
      Engine: 3.5L D-4S V6 with Dual VVT-i 
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 278 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 265 @ 4,600 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/23/20
      Curb Weight: 4,480 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $35,515
      As Tested Price: $40,617 (Includes $960.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium & Technology Package - $3,035.00
      Tonneau Cover - $650.00
      Carpet Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protector - $208.00
      Mudguards - $129.00
      Bed Mat - $120.00
    • By William Maley
      GMC seems to be following Chevrolet's idea of offering different versions of its trucks to suit different buyers. Case in point is the recently revealed 2019 Sierra 1500 Elevation.
      Starting with the double cab variant, GMC adds a combination of body-color and backed-out accents, along with a set of 20-inch wheels finished in black. Under the hood resides the recently unveiled turbocharged 2.7L four-cylinder producing 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. Optional engines include the 5.3L V8 with 355 horsepower and the 3.0L turbodiesel inline-six. You will have the choice of two or four-wheel drive. GMC will also offer the X31 Off Road Package that brings Rancho off-road shock absorbers, locking rear differential, hill descent control, skid plates, a two-speed transfer case, and a heavy-duty air filter.
      The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach. With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director.
      The Elevation will be one of Sierra models available at launch later this fall.
      Source: GMC

GMC Reaches New Heights with Next Gen 2019 Sierra Elevation
      Double-cab model boasts a bold and confident attitude with elevated capability DETROIT — The launch of the next generation Sierra lineup continues with the introduction of the new 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation. Adding to other recently revealed bold, powerful models of the Sierra, the Elevation makes a statement in design, capability and advanced connectivity.
      The Sierra Elevation, along with Denali, AT4 and SLT, is designed to meet the needs and preferences of discerning GMC customers. The next generation Sierras are built upon a prominent foundation of strong bodywork that incorporates chiseled fenders and a tall, powerful hood capped with a bigger and bolder grille than any Sierra prior. Elevation sets itself apart with distinct monochromatic door handles, bumpers and grille surround. The commanding design is amplified by black exterior accents, including the grille insert, tow hooks, side window trim and standard 20-inch aluminum wheels.
      Like other modern GMC designs, advanced lighting technology plays a key role in shaping the 2019 Sierra Elevation. New high-intensity LED headlamps that incorporate C-shaped "light blade" signature lighting elements, LED fog lamps and C-shaped LED elements within the taillights are all standard.
      “The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director. “With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack.”
      The Sierra Elevation is based off the double cab model and is offered with two- or four-wheel-drive configurations. The next generation double cab has nearly 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the current model and best-in-class double cab front head- and legroom (max.).
      Elevated Capability
      The Sierra Elevation leverages innovative technology and smart engineering to enhance capability and elevate driver confidence. With the Traction Select System and the twist of a dial, the driver can choose from preset modes designed for distinct purposes or conditions. Selecting one of these modes adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping and other systems to optimize performance for the situation at hand. Tour mode, for instance, is ideal for everyday driving, while Terrain mode configures the Sierra for venturing off the beaten path.
      For those who frequently venture off-road, Sierra Elevation is available with the X31 Off Road package, which includes unique suspension tuning with Rancho shocks, locking rear differential, Hill Descent Control, protective underbody skidplates, heavy-duty air filter, dual exhaust system and a two-speed transfer case with low-range gearing topped off with all-terrain tires.
      If trailering a camper or other gear is part of your adventure, the 2019 Sierra Elevation was designed from square one with trailering in mind. The available ProGrade Trailering System incorporates a number of innovative features, including an advanced available Trailering App, designed to help take the guesswork out of connecting and towing a trailer.
      Purposeful Functionality
      The Sierra Elevation was engineered to get you and your gear — be it kayaks, camping, mountain bikes, motorcycles or beyond — where you need to go, building on the foundation of the best-in-class cargo volume standard with every all-new Sierra: 89.1 cubic feet on standard box models. Thanks to more tie-downs, enhanced cargo lighting and larger rear corner steps, the task of loading and securing gear is easier than ever. A 120V outlet in the rear supplies power to equipment needed for a day at the campsite or on the trails.
      Available accessory GearOn rails within the box allow for bike racks, kayak carriers and other accessories to be installed or adjusted quickly and easily. The rails’ integrated position makes cargo more accessible and frees up space in the rest of the box.
      Next Generation Performance
      The Sierra Elevation is available with a number of new engine and transmission configurations that deliver the perfect blend of power and capability.
      Standard on the 2019 Sierra Elevation is an all-new 2.7-liter turbocharged engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission that delivers 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque.
      The next generation 5.3-liter V-8 is also available on the Sierra Elevation, in conjunction with an eight-speed automatic transmission. This improved version of the 5.3-liter V-8 utilizes a new Dynamic Fuel Management system that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
      Early in 2019, the Sierra Elevation will also be offered with a new 3.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-six-cylinder engine, along with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
      Advanced Connectivity
      An 8-inch diagonal GMC Infotainment System that incorporates Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility* is standard on the Sierra Elevation, along with a six-speaker audio system. A premium GMC Infotainment System that incorporates a higher resolution touchscreen, advanced personalization features, voice recognition functionality and available in-vehicle apps is optional, as is a 7-speaker Bose premium audio system. USB Type A and Type C ports for charging mobile devices are standard.
      The 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation will be available starting in the fall of 2018.

View full article
  • My Clubs