GMC News: 2017 GMC Canyon Follows Colorado With New V6, Plus New Trims

Last week, we brought you the details of the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado and its new 3.6L V6 and eight-speed automatic. As we noted in our story, a similar announcement for the GMC Canyon was likely incoming. That day has come.

Today, GMC has announced the 2017 Canyon would be getting the updated 3.6L V6 and eight-speed automatic. If you want more details on the updated powertrain, we highly recommend checking out our Colorado story. If you want the TL;DR version,

• 308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque (up 3 horsepower and 6 pound-feet)
  • Engine boasts a revised direct injection system, updated variable valve timing, and cylinder deactivation
  • Eight-speed automatic (only on the V6) features a higher first-gear and lower rear-axle ratios

Unlike the Colorado, the 2017 Canyon does come with a few more updates. First is a new All Terrain X model. Following in the footsteps of the Sierra All Terrain X, the Canyon variant gets a set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 255/65R17 all-terrain tires, distinctive 17-inch wheels, an off-road suspension, hill descent control, and a few other goodies. 2017 will also GMC launch the Canyon Denali which brings a number of luxury appointments such as leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, Bose sound system, and a set of 20-inch wheels.

The 2017 GMC Canyon arrives at dealers late this year.

Source: GMC

Press Release is on Page 2

GMC Canyon Extends Momentum with Broader 2017 Lineup

• New Canyon Denali, All Terrain X expand choices, offer new propulsion system

DETROIT – Building on the momentum of an 18-percent sales increase so far this year, GMC today announced a broader 2017 GMC Canyon lineup led by the new, range-topping Canyon Denali and new, off-road-inspired All Terrain X.

Like all GMC Denali models, the new Canyon Denali is distinguished by chrome exterior details and unique wheels, along with exclusive interior trim and content. It also features a new 3.6L V-6 engine that’s paired with a segment-first eight-speed automatic transmission.

This new propulsion system is offered across the 2017 Canyon lineup, including the new All Terrain X package, which takes the popular All Terrain model farther down the trail, with Goodyear DuraTrac all-terrain tires, all-weather floor liners and more. 

“Canyon continues to carve out its own niche as the only premium truck in the midsize segment,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “With a broader 2017 Canyon lineup and the redesigned Acadia, GMC is offering more choices for finding the premium truck or SUV that matches customers’ design preferences and capability needs.”

Additional new and revised features for the 2017 Canyon lineup include:

• New IntelliLink radio with 7-inch-diagonal color touchscreen
  • Standard Teen Driver Mode through IntelliLink
  • Available heated steering wheel
  • Exterior colors Dark Slate Metallic, Mineral Metallic and Red Quartz Metallic

Canyon Denali
In addition to its Denali-signature chrome grille, the 2017 Canyon Denali features specific wheels — 20-inch ultra-bright machined aluminum with painted accents — along with tubular chrome assist steps, polished exhaust tip (V-6 only) and spray-on bedliner.

Inside, a Jet Black interior features unique leather-appointed, heated and ventilated front seats — exclusive content in the Canyon lineup — along with unique instrument panel and console trim and Denali-logo sill plates and floor mats. Additional standard features include:

• Heated steering wheel
  • GMC IntelliLink with Navigation and an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen
  • 4G Wi-Fi hotspot
  • Automatic climate control
  • Full-color driver information center
  • Remote start
  • Bose® premium seven-speaker audio system
  • Two USB charging ports on the rear of the center console and another inside the console
  • Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning

All Terrain X
This special version of the popular All Terrain package offered on the SLE model is the most off-road-capable Canyon for those who travel beyond the paved path. The X adds Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac P255/65R17 all-terrain tires and all-weather floor liners to All Terrain content, which includes:

• Off-road suspension and transfer case shield
  • Body-color grille surround and rear step bumper
  • Unique interior with red stitching and heated front seats
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Unique 17-inch aluminum wheels
  • 3-inch-diameter round step bars
  • Spray-on bedliner
  • Remote start

Automatic climate control and sliding rear window
The All Terrain model requires the new 3.6L V-6/eight-speed automatic propulsion system. The 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine is available.

3.6L V-6 and eight-speed automatic
The new 3.6L/eight-speed propulsion system offers stronger, more confident acceleration and smoother shift performance than the Canyon’s previous V-6/six-speed combination. This new combination focuses on refining everyday driving performance, including accelerating from a stop, passing on the highway and cruising at a constant speed.

The 3.6L leverages technologies such as continuously variable valve timing, direct injection and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) to balance performance and efficiency. It is rated at an SAE-certified 308 hp (230 kW) and 275 lb-ft of torque (373 Nm).

Canyon’s new Hydra-Matic 8L45 eight-speed automatic complements the 3.6L with a technologically advanced design and control system that supports smoother, more refined performance. Smaller “steps” between the gears as the vehicle accelerates allow the transmission to shift quicker, with almost imperceptible upshifts.

The 8L45 eight-speed also has a wider 7.0 gear ratio that enables a numerically higher first gear ratio — helping drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering — and numerically lower overdrive ratios that reduce engine rpm on the highway. A lower engine speed has two benefits: It can reduce fuel consumption to enhance efficiency and it reduces engine noise for a quieter cabin.

The new powertrain supports a 7,000-pound max trailering rating that is second in the segment only to the Canyon’s available 2.8L Duramax diesel, which is rated at 7,700 pounds.

The 2017 model year updates, including the new V-6 and eight-speed combination, will arrive at dealerships in the fourth quarter of this year. 

View full article

• Agree 1

Happy that GMC and Chevy are rolling out updates far more often and working to stay competitive, but the engine is just Meh to me.

I still am not impressed with over reved V6 engines with little torque in comparison to HP. This is a failure that you have to pay more for the bigger engine that performs less than many Turbo 4 bangers or Electric motors.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

This engine is optional on the Cadillac CT6 and CTS, so if it is good enough to be an option on a Cadillac, I am sure it is good enough to be on a Canyon/Colorado.  I think truck buyers think they need a V6, that is why the turbo 4 isn't in these trucks, even though the turbo 4 has more torque at a lower rpm and would make more sense in a truck that isn't going to be driven at 5500 rpm a whole lot.

On a side note, I think GM could make a unibody pickup smaller than the Colorado/Canyon

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I love the 4.3... but EVERY OTHER MIDSIZE TRUCK has an OHC engine.  Also, none have an electric motor.  Way too girly.

If you mean "way too girly" as being: Hell Hath No Fury As A Woman Scorned, then yeah....electric powered cars and trucks could be really powerful and scary stuff....

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If you mean "way too girly" as being: Hell Hath No Fury As A Woman Scorned, then yeah....electric powered cars and trucks could be really powerful and scary stuff....

I'm shakin' in my boots there, Sparkles!  :)

I like the changes and i saw some where they will bring a sun roof option this time too. 

The V6 is more than enough for this vehicle. I have actually driven it several times and even the 3.0 version in out Terrain is a good balance of power and economy even with the 19" wheels. 

As for the 4.3 I am not sure if it would fit or not since many of todays cars are made for the 60 Degree V6 or just the 4 cylinder. 

The one Concern I have is this truck will get stupid expensive even more so than now. A loaded Z71 package now in crew cab can go $48K now. I expect a Denali may be at least $50K in Crew form. There is a limit people will pay and we are close to it now. 

If GM wants people to down size to the smaller more efficient trucks they need to get the price better in line. 

I really expect this truck to replace the half ton in the future. The CAFE breaks are much easier on the 3/4 ton and larger and I expect the Full Size to be move as a 3/4 rating as the primary model and the lighter model will be the mid size. 

As for electric. Well few guys want to plug in a truck and the Volt system would be very expensive in the truck. I expect we will see some form of this in the future but prices have to come down as few bought the Hybrid SUV models and even less would buy a Chevy truck that is not loaded for $80K. Also if they priced it cheaper it would kill the profits per unit and this is the cash cow on the market. 

GM screwed themselves in the Hybrid of full size SUVs as they gave into oil companies rather than price it as a loss leader to begin to get more sold and get quantity built up to generate long term profits. Those that have the Hybrid Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade love them and how quiet they are.

GM was wrong in their approach of marketing and pushing these rides and only looking at it as a compliance ride.

I think at the proper price point a hybrid or EV truck can sell just fine.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

GM screwed themselves in the Hybrid of full size SUVs as they gave into oil companies rather than price it as a loss leader to begin to get more sold and get quantity built up to generate long term profits. Those that have the Hybrid Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade love them and how quiet they are.

GM was wrong in their approach of marketing and pushing these rides and only looking at it as a compliance ride.

LOL

On 9/2/2016 at 7:25 PM, dfelt said:

They gave in to no one. 

At the time hybrids were very expensive in most all types. Add that cost to an already high price SUV and with gas prices low no one cared. 

We will see a return of this but low oil prices as it is still trading cheap is not going to spur it. The fact we have higher CAFE coming will as they have no choice. You can kill all the cylinders with out a back up. 

GM tried to sell them as technology and to be honest people for the most part were "Cool" till they saw the added price and then said I can do with out it. The many folks here with them bought the dealer demo at a discount to where it made sense. 

Lets face it large SUV drivers are not tree huggers or worried about global warming. Selling them higher priced hybrid at the time was like selling beer in a baptist church.  Times are changing as are attitudes and the price of technology. This will be revisited at some point and better accepted also priced. 

16 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

They gave in to no one. 

At the time hybrids were very expensive in most all types. Add that cost to an already high price SUV and with gas prices low no one cared. 

We will see a return of this but low oil prices as it is still trading cheap is not going to spur it. The fact we have higher CAFE coming will as they have no choice. You can kill all the cylinders with out a back up. 

GM tried to sell them as technology and to be honest people for the most part were "Cool" till they saw the added price and then said I can do with out it. The many folks here with them bought the dealer demo at a discount to where it made sense. 

Lets face it large SUV drivers are not tree huggers or worried about global warming. Selling them higher priced hybrid at the time was like selling beer in a baptist church.  Times are changing as are attitudes and the price of technology. This will be revisited at some point and better accepted also priced. 

I understand the point your making and know for a fact that the hybrids sold well in the west coast without discounts. Yet GM still failed to market them properly and make people aware of them.

This has been GM's downfall, bring out an outstanding auto, market for a month or two and then move onto something else and forget about it.

I cannot tell you how many people who love their full size SUVs and were not aware GM used to make a hybrid version. Even with the increased cost like a diesel, at least on the west coast, if people were aware of them they bought them.

GM failed and has always failed to proper continue to market auto's after the initial introduction. After all at the price point, many who leased and even those that bought will not trade in in a year or even two but would around year 3 and if they are not having it marketed to them over time, they will forget.

People FORGOT about the Hybrid SUVs due to a lack of marketing.

The problem is California and the other two Starbucks states are not enough. While they sold good for that area the sales of large SUV's are just stronger else where and too few people wanted them or were willing to pay for them.

As for Diesels people do not buy them for the environment. They by them for power, noise and MPG when towing. 

GMs only sin here was like many of their other projects under old GM. They bring something to market too soon and under developed. Like the 8-6-4 it was a great idea but came too early to have the right computer technology to handle it right. Today it is a normal thing and easy to do back then it was not all that great. 

The GM hybrids were expensive and limited in their effectiveness. Today if they can get the price down i think you would have more takers. The price is a stumbling bock though. Also yet the rest of America holds little interest in hybrids if they are buying a large suv. 

Now that Jerry Brown signed California away on the new global warming bill. It will be interesting as to  how many companies react. There has been thoughts about limited models or walking away if they kept up their demands for laws that are difficult to reach and would leave many with products few even there would want. 

I know with my firm we have jumped though many hoops for CARB and even stopped selling some products there as they are just not worth the cost involved to bring to market. 

They have made doing business so difficult on even so many simple products it is ridiculous. 

As for GM's last attempt I saw it more as testing the waters and the fact there just was not much interest. Even now few large SUV models offer any hybrid option from anyone. 

I see it coming back when they have no choice and when the market may be more open to it across the nation. 

Edited by hyperv6

@hyperv6 I see your point but still think if marketing was done better and they blanketed the whole US properly, it would have sold better. The Hybrid SUVs was a system that was never in my mind marketed or had the story of what it got you told properly.

This is much like the GM AWS for full size trucks. GM should have just made it standard on all 1500, 2500 and full size SUVs. AWS is awesome and makes driving a full size truck or suv especially with a trailer so much better. Sadly, GM introduced it and did not bother marketing it or clearly stating the benefits, but you talk to those that have their AWS trucks with this feature and they have no desire to give it up due to the ease of moving a large auto around in tight spaces.

AWS like Hybrid should have been standard on all full size trucks and suvs imho.

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

@hyperv6 I see your point but still think if marketing was done better and they blanketed the whole US properly, it would have sold better. The Hybrid SUVs was a system that was never in my mind marketed or had the story of what it got you told properly.

This is much like the GM AWS for full size trucks. GM should have just made it standard on all 1500, 2500 and full size SUVs. AWS is awesome and makes driving a full size truck or suv especially with a trailer so much better. Sadly, GM introduced it and did not bother marketing it or clearly stating the benefits, but you talk to those that have their AWS trucks with this feature and they have no desire to give it up due to the ease of moving a large auto around in tight spaces.

AWS like Hybrid should have been standard on all full size trucks and suvs imho.

Here again it was a great option well before its time again. 

The 4 wheel steering worked great as I have driven it but it removed load capacity and added a lot of weight at a time GM was removing the weight from their trucks. 

Not to mention it was very expensive to add to the truck and even made it wider in the back.  

While it makes the truck easier to drive in tight places it also was not something most truck owners were worried about. 

I would expect to see it again someday if they can make it lighter and with more capacity but till then it matters little. 

By the way GM did market it well as that is how I got to drive one in one of their ride and drives where they were really pushing it and they even had TV spots they had on often. 

If you had made it standard many would have hated the added cost as it was far from cheap and the marketing would have taken a big hit from the others for their more capacity. Finally you would have had a truck as heavy or more than the already over weight Ford. 

4 Wheel steering is not a fix few are asking for anywhere. Even in the cars it has never really done well. 

Also like Blu said people in trucks look for reliability and cost as so many are used in industry and business. They are looking at how long it will last and how much is it going to cost me per month and year to keep on the road.  If their guy has to back up to make a tight turn they are ok with it as long as it did not cost them more. 

It came down to cost.  The check-box for the hybrid SUVs cost $10,000 and people just wouldn't spend that kind of money even for what was at the time the most advanced hybrid system in production. (The Pruis system, for all the hype it gets, it ridiculously simple in concept). The technology wasn't wasted though... even though the CT6 PHEV's transmission is a clean-sheet design, it borrows heavily from the original 2-mode hybrid playbook but instead uses the Volt's upgraded battery design. 

The trucks on the other hand, were a different deal. They gave it the interesting option of a 110v outlet that actually had some amperage to it (if I tried to run a power saw off the 110v outlet in my Encore, I'd probably blow a fuse), but then reduced the payload and towing capacities. It could have been a good truck for contractors, but only if they didn't need the full payload capacity of a regular Silverado.... plus... cost. If you had a business where you needed to put a lot of miles on the truck, needed a bed outlet, but didn't haul heavy loads, the Silverado Hybrid was probably the truck for you. 

Cost is the same reason you don't see very many Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesels out there. It's a $4500 upgrade and only available once you've already stepped up to the $37k Limited model. 

I've seen a good number of Ram Eco Diesels in base, black bumper trim.  Ppl are willing to give up frivolous things for the economy and long life of a diesel engine.  Maybe the reason the diesel is limited on the Jeeps is manufacturing capacity.  It should be available on the base Laredo, and of course the Wrangler.  Would love to see a diesel Renegade here in the USA.

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I've seen a good number of Ram Eco Diesels in base, black bumper trim.  Ppl are willing to give up frivolous things for the economy and long life of a diesel engine.  Maybe the reason the diesel is limited on the Jeeps is manufacturing capacity.  It should be available on the base Laredo, and of course the Wrangler.  Would love to see a diesel Renegade here in the USA.

Trucks are a different matter and the Ram EcoDiesel is the only truck in the segment to carry a light duty diesel at the moment.   Truck buyers are generally different than SUV drivers. 

Of course I'd like to see the diesel being offered in lower trims; I'd like to see the hemi being offered in lower trims too.... but that 'taint the way it is.  Any Jeep you can get with an EcoDiesel you can get for $4500 less without the diesel.... and for an SUV buyer, it is likely as not to be less important when there is only a 5mpg difference highway between the Ecodiesel and the Pentastar.  Unless you plan to be towing 7500lbs, there is no economic point to the Ecodiesel.