Dream Car Garage: $20K Edition

ykX

So Frisky did displacement and horsepower threads.  As much as it is fun to put a dream car garage worth millions, few if any of the members here can afford any of these cars.  So lets do a series of budget restricted garages that most of us could actually afford.

Rules:

1. Production cars only.

2. These are you only vehicles.

3. Maximum of 5 choices.

4. Any era and market is allowed.

5. At least ONE NEW car/truck.

6.  Maximum price is $20k.

(MSRP for the new one, for the used one should be a reasonable used price with reasonable mileage and condition - no cars without engine, or Ferrari with 300k miles for $5K :) )

#1. Used BRZ, easily attainable with 20-30K and a manual for under 20K.

#2. NC Miata, set up for autocross, but also street legal for weekend fun.

#3. Beater jeep Wrangler with a small lift and slightly oversized tires, weekend and snow vehicle.

#4. Low Mile Acura TSX, family car. 

#5. New Chevrolet Cruz, negotiate like heck on a hatch, cheapo sedan if that is not allowed.

This is what I actually would buy given those parameters.  The only other vehicles I could see buying myself at the moment would be a WRX, GTI, IS250/350 Lexus, or a low mile base TLX Acura.

...and this really is why maybe I have not been as invested in the higher dollar car threads.  If I was wealthy enough to afford a 150K car, i would spend the money traveling rather than buying a car.

I also fantasize about being the guy that shows up at the brokerage in a ten year old sedan, with a healthy account....I like the idea of living simply.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I want to clarify, they are 20k each, right? So 5 $20k vehicles?

It would be interesting in a top gear sort of way to ave to buy 5 vehicles for twenty grand....

30 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

$20k.

Well, derp.

1. Mitsu Mirage

2. Mitsu Lancer

3. Used Mitsu Galant

4. Haggled down Mitsu Outlander

Automotive Nirvana for sure....

In 2009, my wife drove around in a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Mazda 3 sedan.

Flimsy body panels, cheap plasticky interior. Too bloody small for my tastes. Especially for my daily driven tastes.

But...fun to drive the little bugger was...so... my first choice would be:

They say the 3Speed has too much torque steer making it not fun to drive. OK...ill just take the 2.3 liter sedan one instead. 3speed pictured. Only because I like the way the 3Speed looks.

Related image

Second choice:

We would still own that Mazda 3, but I decided that I have a heart so when my deadbeat (he aint a deadbeat anymore) brother-n-law decided to get a job, he needed a car, so I, without the consent of my wife, his sister, I gave him the car. My mother-n-law gave me some cash for it and that is when I bought the wife the 2013 1.6liter ecoboost Fusion.

I love driving that car too. So...

But it be the 2.0 ecoboost

Image result for ford fusion 2013

The other day, a good customer of mine bought a used Super Epsilon Impala. He had a W-Body Impala SS. The V8 one. Actually, he still has it. 300 000 kilometers(180 000 miles or so), doors in the back wont open. A few dents. Muffler needs replacing but the motor and transmission are in good shape. He is selling it for $1000 CDN.

So, For this thread, Im buying it. I did own an Impala SS myself for real. A 2005 3.8liter supercharged one...

Image result for 2012 impala ss

Im sure I could find a 2015 Ford Mustang ecoboost for about 20 000...

Related image

And for the new car.

I believe  a Chevy Cruze starts below 20 grand.

So that.

Related image

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

2012-2013 Mustang GT performance 

Ford_Mustang_2013_GT-rfq.jpg

2016/2017 Honda Civic LX (with manual MSRP under $20k) (DD)

MS_lx_34FRONT.png

2012 Lexus RX350 (wife)

228089.jpg

2014 Miata Club

d4dcdf4274fd6911a344f5cb4ac.jpg

2008 4Runner 

toyota_4Runner_manu-08_05.jpg

This is an excellent list.

The Miata and 4 runner are excellent products at the top fo their respective categories.  Both should outlive humanity properly cared for....

32 minutes ago, Stew said:

New 2017 Mazda 3 5 door sport

2017-mazda-3-speed.jpg

2009 Colorado Z71 5.3

f6c5460d-0d2e-4527-80c4-5ec05f81500a.jpg

08 to 11 Dakota TRX4

intro.jpg

11-14 Charger R/T AWD

2013-Dodge-Charger-RT-AWD-Side.jpg

2015 Chrysler 200C AWD V6

Chrysler_200_2015_C_lfq2-480.jpg

Fantastic list!

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

I missed the fact that 5 door Mazda 3 with manual squicks just under $20k.

Would be my pick as well over the Civic.  

Mazda three is much nicer than Civic, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Mazda three is much nicer than Civic, IMHO.

I actually recently had a chance to test drive both. The new Civic is nicer and more spacious inside,  However, Mazda handles as Mazda plus I always loved the hatch.

Just now, ykX said:

I actually recently had a chance to test drive both. The new Civic is nicer and more spacious inside,  However, Mazda handles as Mazda plus I always loved the hatch.

I find certain things such as the styling and the awkward finish of the wheels kind of off putting on the Civic....

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

..Could the brand new vehicle be a motorcycle..?

In my little research for the new vehicle I noticed the CX-3 and CX-5 are less than 2k apart from each other in starting price.. seems oddly close if you ask me.

Motorcycle would be an awesome addition...Ducati for me please...

43 minutes ago, ykX said:

@ccap41 motorcycle will be cheating at this price point :)

Great, so I get five cars and five motorcycles from another thread...cool...I like this game!

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

2006 Pontiac GTO 6MT

191534077106_0.jpg

987 Porsche Cayman (S if I could find one w/ decent miles)

07Cayman__ED8_1580.jpg

BMW 135i

2010-bmw-135i-coupe-and-c-20_600x0w.jpg

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Base Golf 5MT (sneaks in under 20K w/out destination)

new-2016-volkswagen-golf-swsunroof4dr-10

Actually this is one of the better lists you have done.

The 987 is an incredible amount of car for the money....

38 minutes ago, ykX said:

@ccap41 motorcycle will be cheating at this price point :)

..well.. yeah.. haha I'd have 4 cars and 1 bike!

Okay well I think I have the new car sorted out finally. I'd take a Cruze manual. I went a little over($400) but There are always deals on them for probably $1000 off, so this seems fair..right?  I only even spent that much because I added wheels and fog lights. Those two things will make it not look like the base car that it is.

2016 Cruze LS Manual

C5Z (65-100k miles)

2003-2004 Cobra ( won't be perfect at under 20k either but a little TLC would bring her back to looking pristine)

2009ish CLS550 ( Found some for sale under 20k - maintenance would be hell but we will deal with that when it comes up lol. I would be content with this exact one.

CLS550 Autotrader

E46 M3 (There are some E90's but they have ridiculous miles).

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@ccap41

Love me some E46 M3's but for the quality of cars you get for 20K, I'd have to pass.

I thought about putting that into consideration because they are used with miles but I just decided to pass.. This is after all a dream garage so I'm just hoping and praying that they are all in at least decent condition because it is nobody's dream to own a POS M3 lol.

Just now, ccap41 said:

I thought about putting that into consideration because they are used with miles but I just decided to pass.. This is after all a dream garage so I'm just hoping and praying that they are all in at least decent condition because it is nobody's dream to own a POS M3 lol.

I'd rather buy an E46 330i ZHP with lower miles and better condition than a rough M3 by a landslide.

Well yeah, a rough BMW is asking for tens of thousands of repair bills waiting for it, let alone an M Series. I'm just saying.. for the sake of a "Dream Garage" that none of the cars I would get would be in rough shape.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

..well.. yeah.. haha I'd have 4 cars and 1 bike!

Okay well I think I have the new car sorted out finally. I'd take a Cruze manual. I went a little over($400) but There are always deals on them for probably $1000 off, so this seems fair..right?  I only even spent that much because I added wheels and fog lights. Those two things will make it not look like the base car that it is.

2016 Cruze LS Manual

C5Z (65-100k miles)

2003-2004 Cobra ( won't be perfect at under 20k either but a little TLC would bring her back to looking pristine)

2009ish CLS550 ( Found some for sale under 20k - maintenance would be hell but we will deal with that when it comes up lol. I would be content with this exact one.

CLS550 Autotrader

E46 M3 (There are some E90's but they have ridiculous miles).

Cruze Manual.PNG

307E567E-91AC-4C0B-915F-A08BE895DA74_zps

9719D173-4E69-45E0-BDAA-9121B063839C_zps

2F1007B7-9DED-448C-931E-6AB5B6C39794_zps

Edited by ccap41