Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Choosing a compact SUV....

daves87rs

Yep, getting close to that time...

At the moment I am working on rebuilding/ updating my two chevys (Cavalier and Cobalt), as the goal here is to run them until it's time to send them to the yard..Both still run quite well, so until the rust gets real bad (figure the cavalier has maybe 1-2 years left)-drive them we shall.....

That being said- with a 14,13, and 11 year old car, I'd like to have a new one in the fleet. Something I can use to help update my house, help my scout camp, and do other stuff. Also miss having a trucket like my ols s-10.....

So based on mine (and the wife's) ideas-here are the choices...

Chevy Equinox- Easy choice (gm guy, of course) Comfy, has plenty of room (like the rear sliding seat) and I know the Ecotec engine well- I have 3 of them in the family....but it is heavy, just okay on gas- and tends to rust bad under the doors and hatch based on design. This one might be sitting when it snows...

Ford Escape- Love the new design, also offers me the best discount as well. I'm swinging more toward the base S here, as based on what I am hearing, I might be able to buy one for what I can lease one. And, the 2.5 gets just a mile MPG different than the ecoboost engine in the trims above... Love the design inside as well, though the seats are not as comfy as the Nox's....

Jeep Patriot- this one was off the radar, then off, now on again. A good friend of mine works at an FCA dealership, and where was been whispers of a fire sale on these and the old Compass to try to stop FCA's bleeding sales and clear the lots of the remaning ones. Even though it's a decade old design, it's one I have always liked (boxy, not jellybean), and the interior, though dated does not bother me either. It does have one thing going for it-function-which I could use..... One big question of doubt the bothers me-that sealed 6 speed trans. Lifetime fluid is never, ever lifetime...

So, with my open mind- your thoughts are welcome......

• Agree 2

I notice the Trax is not on your list there.  All the reviews are saying it rides and drives nicely, and it returns pretty good fuel mileage.  I am not sure if the six speed is a sealed unit though.  Plus it is a tad smaller than the 'Nox and Escape, although it seems about the same inside as a Patriot, imo.  A Trax LS AWD is about $22-$23k MSRP and Chevy seems to run specials on them often... unless it has already been ruled out for its size or its Korean point of manufacture.

I sat in a Trax LT (front and rear) at the PA Auto Show and thought it a pleasant vehicle.

Escape S is a good choice with the 2.5, and I still like the Patriot, too though.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I notice the Trax is not on your list there.  All the reviews are saying it rides and drives nicely, and it returns pretty good fuel mileage.  I am not sure if the six speed is a sealed unit though.  Plus it is a tad smaller than the 'Nox and Escape, although it seems about the same inside as a Patriot, imo.  A Trax LS AWD is about $22-$23k MSRP and Chevy seems to run specials on them often... unless it has already been ruled out for its size or its Korean point of manufacture.

I sat in a Trax LT (front and rear) at the PA Auto Show and thought it a pleasant vehicle.

Escape S is a good choice with the 2.5, and I still like the Patriot, too though.

The Trax is a nice car, but it is a bit small when it comes to space for the family. Now if it were just for me-it would be a good choice!8) 

Yeah, these three seem closer together than I thought.....

Nox are good buys right now as are Terrains. Skip the 4 as it as you stated heavy

Rust on some but not all ours is a 2012 and no rust. 

The sliding rear seat sounds like a good idea but once you set it you never move it. 

The Jeep right now I woul be wary of the FCA recalls and electrical issues. The key FoBs just went out on the in laws new 300 this is now the 4th electrical issue and also they have had two recalls. 

The Ford it is ok if you like it but I just was never a fan. I can't say anything bad.

The new Nox is yet to be determined. The 4 should be right at home and I expect the price to be just a little lower on many versions like how the cut the Acadia price when it down sized.

if I were looking Trax small I would just spend a little more for the Buick. The Chevy is a good deal on the entry model but loaded up the Buick is better.

Edited by hyperv6

6 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Nox are good buys right now as are Terrains. Skip the 4 as it as you stated heavy

The sliding rear seat sounds like a good idea but once you set it you never move it. 

The Jeep right now I woul be wary of the FCA recalls and electrical issues. The key FoBs just went out on the in laws new 300 this is now the 4th electrical issue and also they have had two recalls. 

The Ford it is ok if you like it but I just was never a fan. I can't say anything bad.

The new Nox is yet to be determined. The 4 should be right at home and I expect the price to be just a little lower on many versions like how the cut the Acadia price when it down sized.

if I were looking Trax small I would just spend a little more for the Buick. The Chevy is a good deal on the entry model but loaded up the Buick is better.

Yeah, the 6 would be nice...though quite a few of the Nox's here are 4 bangers...thinking they are getting ready to really push the leases....

Noticed the recalls....knock on wood, none for the Patriot...yet. Get the feeling you might be right though...

Have to say like the styling of the new fords...

On 2/5/2017 at 3:08 PM, hyperv6 said:

Um, he is talking about the Patriot.  it does not use the same fobs as the newer 300 and electrical issue have been well worked out.

Anyway, as a former Patriot owner, mine was rock solid.  Few issues in 126k miles I had it and those were related to extensive off-road use.  It always got excellent MPG (averaging high 20s/low 30s and up to mid 30s on the highway).  They are also very comfortable with lots of room.  Also love the little features like the rechargable flashlight, 110 volt outlet, folding passenger seat, reclining rear seats, and the ability to not only lock the awd system to a 50/50 split, but you can also fully disable all the nannies if you want.  NEVER got stuck in snow, mud, puddles, etc, and even the base FD1 4x4 has Jeep's brake lock differentials.  I would try to find a 75th anniversary edition.  If you don't mind the CVT the off-road package offers surprising capability (heck, my FD1 did).  I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 speed auto as it is basically the corporate hyundai unit found in basicall everything and i haven't heard of any issue.  Mine was a 5 speed manual and that is the transmission I would suggest.  the manual is FAR peppier than either auto, but that does limit your models as most have the 6 speed auto as standard.  Hope this helps.  I won't comment on the others as i have not owned them. 

• Agree 2

On 2/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

I have nothing good to say about any of those choices. 

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but on the new side, I'd recommend the Mazda CX-5 or Subaru Forester. Maybe check the new Jeep Compass coming out?

Jeep Compass? Nope!

Wouldn't mind a CX-5 for the right price....I like the way they handle....

6 hours ago, Stew said:

Um, he is talking about the Patriot.  it does not use the same fobs as the newer 300 and electrical issue have been well worked out.

Anyway, as a former Patriot owner, mine was rock solid.  Few issues in 126k miles I had it and those were related to extensive off-road use.  It always got excellent MPG (averaging high 20s/low 30s and up to mid 30s on the highway).  They are also very comfortable with lots of room.  Also love the little features like the rechargable flashlight, 110 volt outlet, folding passenger seat, reclining rear seats, and the ability to not only lock the awd system to a 50/50 split, but you can also fully disable all the nannies if you want.  NEVER got stuck in snow, mud, puddles, etc, and even the base FD1 4x4 has Jeep's brake lock differentials.  I would try to find a 75th anniversary edition.  If you don't mind the CVT the off-road package offers surprising capability (heck, my FD1 did).  I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 speed auto as it is basically the corporate hyundai unit found in basicall everything and i haven't heard of any issue.  Mine was a 5 speed manual and that is the transmission I would suggest.  the manual is FAR peppier than either auto, but that does limit your models as most have the 6 speed auto as standard.  Hope this helps.  I won't comment on the others as i have not owned them. 

That is good to know....for the most part-  have heard nothing but good stories about the 2011+ ones so far...

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, allonso71 said:

Subaru Forester gets my vote. It has a good engine, and the interior looks great.

It would be bullet proof, and the AWD system is fantastic.  My boss and my wife's boos both drive one...I think both of those Subies will outlast Gravity.  15 year old examples can be found on Craigslist regularly that have only had semi regular oil changes and the occasional tires/batteries/wiper blades and the like.

My daughter wants one of these, but then again she prefers ladies to gentlemen in terms of partners...she finds it kind of funny that she likes these so much and it is so stereotypical a "Lesbian" car

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2017 at 4:03 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

It would be bullet proof, and the AWD system is fantastic.  My boss and my wife's boos both drive one...I think both of those Subies will outlast Gravity.  15 year old examples can be found on Craigslist regularly that have only had semi regular oil changes and the occasional tires/batteries/wiper blades and the like.

My daughter wants one of these, but then again she prefers ladies to gentlemen in terms of partners...she finds it kind of funny that she likes these so much and it is so stereotypical a "Lesbian" car

I won't lie, I do like the Prez wagon...though while awd is nice, I can drive just as well without it. That, and there is a good chance this new "car" or "truck" is going to be parked when the salt starts to fly.....if I keep it long term, I don't want it to rust...

My 04 Cavalier has yet to see salt (once in it's whole 13 years) and it is still rust free....most J bodies of it's age up here are pretty much rusted out. The wife's, no matter how hard I try to keep it clean, it starting to really show rust now, as I am sure the rust will send it yo the junkyard well before the engine goes.....