August 2017: Audi of America

Audi of America reports August sales increase as new Q5, A5 Sportback drive demand

• Q5 sales rose 7.9 percent; Q7 sales jump 35 percent
  • Sales of all-new A5 Sportback were 1,325
  • Audi SUV sales increased 8.9 percent for the month

HERNDON, Virginia, September 1, 2017 – Audi of America reported an August sales increase of 2.8 percent to 19,811 deliveries, as the Q7 and the new Q5 and A5 Sportback helped drive consumer demand.

August was the 80th consecutive record sales month for Audi of America. The previous August record was set last year with 19,264 deliveries. Through August, Audi has now sold 141,606 vehicles in the U.S. this year.

Deliveries of the new Q5 rose to 4,767 and have now risen 11 percent for the year. Q7 sales rose 35 percent over last August to 3,174 and have risen 20 percent year-to-date. Through August, Audi SUV sales have risen 12 percent to 70,705.

Deliveries of the new A5 coupe, Sportback and Cabriolet, more than tripled to 2,603 vehicles, including 1,325 sales of the new-to-the U.S. Sportback.

“We are in the midst of our biggest product rollout in our U.S. history and consumers are responding to the designs, the technology and the brand’s reputation for dependability,” said Cian O’Brien, chief operating officer, Audi of America.

Houston-area update

The four Audi dealerships in the greater Houston area, Audi North Houston, Audi Central Houston, Audi West Houston and Audi Sugar Land, reopened for business Aug. 31.

“Our thoughts and support remain with the people of greater Houston,” O’Brien said.  “We commend the members of the Audi family in the Houston area for their perseverance and commitment to the community and their employees in the face of so many challenges this past week.”

AUDI US SNAPSHOT

--MTD--

--YTD--

Model Line

Aug '17 Actual

Aug '16 Actual

Yr/Yr % change

Aug '17 YTD  Actual

Aug '16 YTD Actual

Yr/Yr % change

A3

-29.1%

-28%

A3 e-tron

-63%

-6.4%

A4

-7.4%

10.6%

A5

207%

95.7%

A6

-29.6%

-12.7%

A7

-34%

-27.5%

A8

-31.3%

-19.3%

allroad

125%

78.4%

Q3

-16.8%

2.5%

Q5

7.9%

10.9%

Q7

35.2%

19.7%

R8

-51%

34.8%

TT

-17.8%

-21.4%

Total Audi Sales

2.8%

5.2%

Total CPO Sales

22.9%

1.9%

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Always amazes me how little auto selling companies can survive on such little sales, but then Audi has VW to back itself.

VW is huge.  Audi is huge too, they sell 50,000 cars a month in China.

This brand needs more Q's for the USA, good thing Q1, Q2, Q4, Q8 are on the way.  They should make an QR8 spyder that merges an R8 spyder with an off roader to make a 2 seat convertible crossover super car.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Always amazes me how little auto selling companies can survive on such little sales, but then Audi has VW to back itself.

????   Audi is outselling Cadillac...and Cadillac has GM to 'back itself'.. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

????   Audi is outselling Cadillac...and Cadillac has GM to 'back itself'.. 

Audi is outselling Cadillac ONLY.. and I mean ONLY for the reasons sitting up their in black and white for U to see. If U don't see that Audi has DOUBLE the about of nameplates that Caddy has then U are just plain effin BLIND.. or biased. If U don't see that Audi has 3 SUVs vs Caddy having 2 then your vision is worst than I thought. What makes it worse is that even with that.. AUDI only sold 4800 more units than Caddy.. with DOUBLE the line-up. 

BTW.. Cadillac also has Buick as a fellow GM luxo brand that helps in this argument as they handle a great deal of the lower-end that Audi has in its line-up

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

VW is huge.  Audi is huge too, they sell 50,000 cars a month in China.

What's Buick sell a month in China??? GM is HUGE and had been before Hitler ever started VW. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Audi is outselling Cadillac ONLY.. and I mean ONLY for the reasons sitting up their in black and white for U to see. If U don't see that Audi has DOUBLE the about of nameplates that Caddy has then U are just plain effin BLIND.. or biased. If U don't see that Audi has 3 SUVs vs Caddy having 2 then your vision is worst than I thought. What makes it worse is that even with that.. AUDI only sold 4800 more units than Caddy.. with DOUBLE the line-up. 

BTW.. Cadillac also has Buick as a fellow GM luxo brand that helps in this argument as they handle a great deal of the lower-end that Audi has in its line-up

What's Buick sell a month in China??? GM is HUGE and had been before Hitler ever started VW. 

Buick sells low price cars in China.  Something like 80% of the Buick line in China is priced like an Audi A3 or below.  Cadillac is priced in China like Audi is, and that is like a 5 to 1 sales spread between those two.  Same problem though, Audi is about to have 7 SUV's in a couple years, they have convertibles, sports cars, a bunch of sedans, etc.  Why doesn't Cadillac have more models?  What is GM doing, when they come up with stuff like the Regal Tour X, but not a new Cadillac product?   This has been a problem since like 2005, not enough Cadillac models.

13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Buick sells low price cars in China.  Something like 80% of the Buick line in China is priced like an Audi A3 or below.  Cadillac is priced in China like Audi is, and that is like a 5 to 1 sales spread between those two.  Same problem though, Audi is about to have 7 SUV's in a couple years, they have convertibles, sports cars, a bunch of sedans, etc.  Why doesn't Cadillac have more models?  What is GM doing, when they come up with stuff like the Regal Tour X, but not a new Cadillac product?   This has been a problem since like 2005, not enough Cadillac models.

So are U implying that the majority of Audis sold in China are A6, A7 and A8? 

As to Cadillac models I agree.. but trying to compare the sales of Cadillac to Audi considering the model mix is as skewed as it is comparing Cadillac sales to Jag

9 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

So are U implying that the majority of Audis sold in China are A6, A7 and A8? 

As to Cadillac models I agree.. but trying to compare the sales of Cadillac to Audi considering the model mix is as skewed as it is comparing Cadillac sales to Jag

I think A6 is the number 1 selling Audi in China.  If Cadillac wants to compete with the Germans then they need more models and to be in more  countries.  That is the price of admission to play with the big boys.  

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Buick sells low price cars in China.  Something like 80% of the Buick line in China is priced like an Audi A3 or below.  

So maybe it would help if you actually checked the Buick China web site and converted the Yuan into US dollars so you have actual pricing.

http://www.buick.com.cn/

Most expensive model is the CUV Kore, US Enclave at 509,000 Yuan, starting price US which equals as of Fridays close $77,561.90. or fully loaded flag ship of 649,000 Yuan / US $98,895.24

Cheapest model is the Hideo Sedan at 109,000 Yuan, starting price US $16,609.52.

Surprising is that according to business news executives love a luxury Minivan. Buick has the best selling one in China, GL8 ES Business Luxury Minivan starting at 289,900 or $44,175.24

Cadillac pricing is above this, so not necessarily cheap or low end.

MB covers with their product line cheap ass Model 1 at the same price up to the S Class at double the Kore pricing.

So how is Buick and Cadillac not being competitive with everyone especially on pricing?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

DOWN VOTE

LMFAO.. at your down vote  with no comeback. Prove me wrong. Give me a reason other than lack of models why Audi outsells Caddy by 4800 vehicles other than the fact that they have 12 models versus Caddy's 6. WHile U're at it.. comeback on the fact that GM.. has Buick and even Denali for that matter.. How about also get back to me on Chevy.. CHEVY.. having the Impala that sells upwards of $45K.. the SS (for limited time) selling up to $55K.. the Camaro selling at upwards of $80K.. the Corvette selling upwards of $120K, Tahoe and Suburbans in the $85K.. hell U can get Equinox in the $40K range. If that isn't Audi prices I dunno what is. Don't be fooled by the names slick. GM got luxury on lock.. the Cadillac name is reviving and is icing on the cake in the coming years

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Audi A3 starts at 199,000 RMB and an A4 starts at 299,000 RMB.  So even Buick's luxury minivan is less than an A4.  Buick isn't on Audi's level.

AT today's rates by about $1000 bucks. Get a grip slim.. Buick/Cadillac handles Audi and U just hate to see an American company in a good position over your Fatherland's cars. 

37 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Give me a reason other than lack of models why Audi outsells Caddy by 4800 vehicles other than the fact that they have 12 models versus Caddy's 6.

To be fair --and this is only based on the U.S. sales chart; IDK what China audi sales are like-- 6 of Audi's 13 models "no one buys"; those 6 models are 350 units/mnth or less each, and only made up 7% of Audi U.S. sales last month.  NONE of Cadillac's 6 models sell in such dismal numbers as the 'Audi Invisible Six'.  Where you are right in sentiment is that adding these fringe/niche models at Cadillac is not going to move the sales needle much at all.  Me; I don't care what Cadillac numbers are doing, as long as the product is sharp and the division is making a profit.  Luxury brands in sales races are no longer building luxury products.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

To be fair --and this is only based on the U.S. sales chart; IDK what China audi sales are like-- 6 of Audi's 13 models "no one buys"; those 6 models are 350 units/mnth or less each, and only made up 7% of Audi U.S. sales last month.  NONE of Cadillac's 6 models sell in such dismal numbers as the 'Audi Invisible Six'.  Where you are right in sentiment is that adding these fringe/niche models at Cadillac is not going to move the sales needle much at all.  Me; I don't care what Cadillac numbers are doing, as long as the product is sharp and the division is making a profit.  Luxury brands in sales races are no longer building luxury products.

Great point.. and GM/JDN would be wise to remember that GM has other brands for such volume. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi for that matter are handling the same duties that Cadillac/Buick/Denali.. and yes Chevy are. I can not for the life of me see why people like Smk can't see it. To suggest that even Chevy.. selling $80K Camaros based off Cadillacs and $120K supercars is just a mainstream brand is ridiculous. Buick's Envision, LaX, Cascada, and Enclave are legitimate luxo cars. Denali speaks for itself.. as being really the modern "LaSalle" brand at GM. And I actually like that fact that every stop light I pull up to doesn't feature CTSs around me.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:24 PM, balthazar said:

I would agree.  Head of our department at work just ditched his Lexus for a Cadillac CTS, Cadillac is definitely building fantastic products. 

• Like 1

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings