Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Server update - 11/2/2017

24 minutes ago, frogger said:

Am I the only one getting a lot of hanging at "Loading" when selecting page 2/Last Page etc on forum topics?  Experienced on a few different browsers and systems. 

That was happening for me too.  I did a different update today.  Please let me know if it continues.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That was happening for me too.  I did a different update today.  Please let me know if it continues.

Seems to be the same so far. It might be something to do with the advertisements?  I turned on an ad blocker to see if that made a difference and it works ok with it on.

The only issue I do have actually is when I'm in a thread and try to go forward or back a page it won't actually load. It will go there but I ave to click refresh every time. Both my phone and Chrome on my work computer are like that. 

I didn't read through everything when I posted ^ that. I'll try and see if it's still doing that. 

Still did it on Chrome. 

Another update: I've narrowed it down to happening only in very specific scenarios.  It no longer appears to be caused by the ads, it appears the ads' failure to load is a symptom of an issue with the programming of the software.  I have opened a ticket with the software provider. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed weirdness in the email notifications.   Instead of seeing the actual response to a comment in the email, I see weird stuff like '18 minutes ago' or the first few words of a response.   I'm also getting email notifications on threads I haven't followed (but have posted a comment in). 

photo-12.gif  
dfelt said:
18 minutes ...
Go to this post

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I have noticed weirdness in the email notifications.   Instead of seeing the actual response to a comment in the email, I see weird stuff like '18 minutes ago' or the first few words of a response.   I'm also getting email notifications on threads I haven't followed (but have posted a comment in). 

photo-12.gif  
dfelt said:
18 minutes ...
Go to this post

So much for the Forum software company QA testing. ;) 

Got to love software and its bugs... 

I notice the auto follow feature works even on threads that I've read, but haven't commented on...like the new Samsung battery one.   I've read the post and comments, it doesn't show me as following, but i'm getting emails. 

Meanwhile, I've spent a good part of today and yesterday IRL tracking down a weird user data validation bug in software installed in Barbados and Jamaica..figured it out.. invalid assumptions made about government ids made by the vendor in China.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Got to love software and its bugs... 

I notice the auto follow feature works even on threads that I've read, but haven't commented on...like the new Samsung battery one.   I've read the post and comments, it doesn't show me as following, but i'm getting emails. 

Meanwhile, I've spent a good part of today and yesterday IRL tracking down a weird user data validation bug in software installed in Barbados and Jamaica..figured it out.. invalid assumptions made about government ids made by the vendor in China.. 

Those ASSumptions from the Chinese Vendor are features for their hacking operations! ;):P 

Just now, dfelt said:

Those ASSumptions from the Chinese Vendor are features for their hacking operations! ;):P 

It's funny... my client bought this package from a US based company that has a product developed originally by IBM but now developed by a China-based out sourcing firm.   And my team in Arizona and India have been customizing it the last 3+ years for operations in the US and Caribbean.  It was supposed to be usable out of the box, but we've customized at least 75% of it (to add features and also just make the darn thing work--I've personally rewrote large chunks of it..)

• Haha 1

Well, the email thing should be resolved now.  

I have no idea what happened early this morning.  I went to bed and the site was functioning fine with people posting until about 1am.  Woke up this morning and somehow our theme was corrupted.  I had to set it all up again from scratch, so things might not look exactly like they did yesterday.

Report any glitches here.

Looks good..I am seeing the comment  in reply/comment follow emails, as it should be. 

Still getting the mysterious auto-follow behavior when I only read a post and it's comments (without commenting or following), may be a setting I'm not familiar with.

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Looks good..I am seeing the comment  in reply/comment follow emails, as it should be. 

Still getting the mysterious auto-follow behavior when I only read a post and it's comments (without commenting or following), may be a setting I'm not familiar with.

If you would be so kind as to do an experiment?  

See if there is a difference if you like/react to a post in a thread as opposed to reading but no reaction.

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you would be so kind as to do an experiment?  

See if there is a difference if you like/react to a post in a thread as opposed to reading but no reaction.

I'll try that. 

• Agree 1

Ok, I'm definitely getting auto-follow if I like/react to a post in a thread.  Like the GM carbon fiber bed thread in General Motors News forum.    It doesn't show I'm following, but I'm getting email updates.  

I'm also getting auto-follow if I just read the posts in a thread without liking/reacting.  For example, the 'lack of AWD hurting CH-R sales' thread.   It doesn't show I'm following, but I'm getting email updates.

No a big deal, just a quirk of the software, apparently.