GM News: GM Still Sees Drivers A Key Part of Their Business Model

General Motors has announced plans of moving towards an electrified and self-driving future. But in the foreseeable future, the company's core business model of selling vehicles to drivers will not be going away.

“The owner-driver model will be there for a very long time. So far we see (mobility) as additive, but we see it as having potential to grow and be quite substantial,” said GM CEO Mary Barra during a meeting of the Automotive Press Association.

Most of GM's and other automaker's profits come from crossovers, pickup trucks, and SUVs. But GM is planning for a possible future where the automotive landscape is very different. Back in October, the automaker announced an ambitious plan of launching 20 electric and hydrogen vehicles by 2023 - two of those will launch within the next 18 months. The company is also planning to launch a driverless ride-sharing service in 2019.

Source: The Detroit News

View full article

I would totally agree with this as I really have no need or want of self driving auto's even in commute traffic, I like to drive. Yet with that said, I totally see this as a need for the blind, disabled crowd that self driving auto's would give them mobility and freedom to get around without having to wait on others.

I would like to see the current driver-involved model to stay.  Yet I am concerned that sooner or later that will be replaced with car-sharing and the like.  For some reason or another, insurance companies will want to end the driver-involved model once and for all, just to save several million dollars.  SAD!!

• Like 1