MT: 2018 CHEVROLET CAMARO SS 1LE VS. 2018 FORD MUSTANG GT PERFORMANCE PACK

ykX

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That Camaro is just bad-ass. Isn't attractive, but its performance speaks for itself. 

Agreed.  It is amazing that Camaro as fast or faster as cars two three times its price.

I am a big Mustang fan and actually plan to purchase one in a few years.  Camaro design outside and inside just doesn't do it for me, but boy do I wish Mustang would handle as good as the Camaro!

Maybe, next generation Mustang will be better, one could hope...

Both have amazing performance and I give them BOTH LOVE as modern day AWESOME PONY Cars.

My biggest problem with both is the Tank feel of sitting in one. 

Yes, this is my one pet peeve with the GOV trying to save us all from stupidity of people with no common sense and killing oneself. If I want to speed in a convertible or T-Top version of a pony car and flip it and crush myself to death, shame on me. Stop trying to save me from myself. Let each person be accountable to themselves.

Let's keep an open green house of light and easy visibility.

NOW in regards to the Pony cars future, I can easily see both of these bad boys having performance like the Tesla Roadster 2.0

Silent but deadly warp speed Scotty and spare no juice! :convertible:

w9mxreldm1ftygkoikal.gif

Kinda disappointing to read about the Mustang. You would think with what they've done on the GT350, they would have a better sorted package here.

On a related note, I recently drove a 16 GT w/ Perf Pkg we got traded in at our dealer. Had been some time since I drove a GT, and I like the design of the new one so much I thought it would be a good idea to drive to revisit to see if an 18 could be a possible replacement for my GTI.

And I had my answer in less than 1 mile of driving. Car is just too big. Through some turns on my favorite local test loop, I definitely felt more body motion and weight than I like. The steering was nice enough, power was great, it was a competent handler, but not particularly composed or thrilling. There was pronounced roll, squat, and dive, and the car just never felt super 'together'. And the weight was quite obvious. 

I think I will definitely be staying under the Pony Car segment in terms of size and weight for my next car. The S197 Boss 302 is a far more enjoyable car to drive than the GT Perf Pkg imo, and I'd go that route if I bought a Mustang. 

20 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Kinda disappointing to read about the Mustang. You would think with what they've done on the GT350, they would have a better sorted package here.

On a related note, I recently drove a 16 GT w/ Perf Pkg we got traded in at our dealer. Had been some time since I drove a GT, and I like the design of the new one so much I thought it would be a good idea to drive to revisit to see if an 18 could be a possible replacement for my GTI.

And I had my answer in less than 1 mile of driving. Car is just too big. Through some turns on my favorite local test loop, I definitely felt more body motion and weight than I like. The steering was nice enough, power was great, it was a competent handler, but not particularly composed or thrilling. There was pronounced roll, squat, and dive, and the car just never felt super 'together'. And the weight was quite obvious. 

I think I will definitely be staying under the Pony Car segment in terms of size and weight for my next car. The S197 Boss 302 is a far more enjoyable car to drive than the GT Perf Pkg imo, and I'd go that route if I bought a Mustang. 

I think Pony will come back when they go EV on them and dump a ton of weight.

• Disagree 1

Just now, dfelt said:

I think Pony will come back when they go EV on them and dump a ton of weight.

How they dump weight when batteries are inherently heavy?

Look at Tesla, stupid fast in a straight line until it comes to a corner.  Model S weights between 4500 and 4900, while CTS for example 3600 to 4000.

7 minutes ago, ykX said:

How they dump weight when batteries are inherently heavy?

Look at Tesla, stupid fast in a straight line until it comes to a corner.  Model S weights between 4500 and 4900, while CTS for example 3600 to 4000.

Yes Batteries are heavy and Tesla is using current Li Batteries that are very heavy and with that we have Solid State and new tech Li batteries that are much less. As I have posted to the alternative fuel section about Toshiba's new Solid State Batteries that are less weight and super fast to charge. They have two options that are going into production and will show up in 2019/2020 auto's.

200 mile battery pack recharges in 6 min

400 mile battery pack recharges in 12 min.

Here was the story on Samsungs Breakthrough, 45% more power in the same size which means battery overall size is smaller for an auto.

Here is the Toshiba story

No matter how we look at it, we are pushing the technology of getting more power in a smaller package.

@dfelt I have been reading on a new battery technology for a while now but yet to see it in mass production.  Eventually, it will happen, the question is when.

43 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I was considering getting a used Vette in a few years but after sitting in one at the auto show I am starting to have my doubts.  I am not a huge guy, 6'1", 180lbs and it was tight for me, and even lowering the seat all the way down felt like I will be very close to the roof.  

I don't think there are many more sports cars in Mustang/Camaro price range with compatible performance.

6 minutes ago, ykX said:

@dfelt I have been reading on a new battery technology for a while now but yet to see it in mass production.  Eventually, it will happen, the question is when.

I understand what you are saying and the fast charging and increased density in the battery packs that has come out in the last year is what I expect to see in the 2019 as 2020 model EV Auto's.

LG now has a 120kWh battery pack that can go into the bolt giving it a massive 476 mile range. I think we are about to see an explosion of EV auto's that will make allot of people rethink the need for an ICE auto.

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dfelt, shush!

Ignore the future at your own peril young Padawan!

Enjoy the ICE we have now, the future is a different beast and approach.

Camaro and Mustang as awesome as they will have a future if they embrace change, living in the past is to doom them to the scrap heap! 

You know there is truth in this!

• Haha 1

You can't seriously sit there and say 'if the Mustang & Camaro live in the past they are doomed' when you are looking at them as they are now. What I mean is- they were born 50 years ago as sporty performance coupes with a range of power levels well 'up there', aggressive styling & attitude. With a few brushes with death (actual death in the case of the Camaro), they exist 50 years later with the EXACT SAME IDEOLOGY.

If they remain true to their legacies, they are not facing doom anytime soon because a handful of EVs are being bought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1