Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

BMW News: BMW Not Planning Mass Production of EVs Until 2020

William Maley

BMW has plans of launching 25 electrified models by 2025 - 12 of those being fully electric. But don't expect to start seeing mass production of those 12 models anytime soon. BMW CEO Harald Krueger told analysts in Munich that its current electric vehicle technology is not profitable enough to scale up to volume production.

“We wanted to wait for the fifth generation to be much more cost competitive. We do not want to scale up with the fourth generation,” said Krueger.

The difference in costs between the fourth and fifth-generation according to Krueger "was a “two digit number” in percent terms."

BMW is currently developing a sixth-generation of electric technologies that encompasses research into battery cells, and will hopefully bring down the costs.

Currently, BMW's only EV is the i3. The lineup will expand beginning next year with the MINI E. This will be followed by the iX3 crossover in 2020. A sedan based on the iVision Dynamics concept will also be joining the lineup, though when exactly is unclear at this time. Auto Express which first reported this news says it will come out in 2020. But when asked by Automotive News Europe, Krueger said, "we shall see."

Source: Reuters, Auto Express, Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required)

View full article

Wonder if this delay is due to their new Battery plant co-creation deal they signed in China. Will take the next 24 months to build the site and get production started? :scratchchin:

• Agree 1

BMW confirms i4 will have 435 mile range

Seems according to the NextGreenCar.com site that BMW has confirmed the start of work on the production i4 sedan which will have a 435 mile battery pack as well as the iX3 SUV with a 300 mile battery pack.

Supposedly the iX3 will be shown at the Beijing motor show next month. Story also goes onto say that the new i8 Roadster and i8 coupe will go on sale  starting in May of this year with the 4th generation of their eDrive Technology. Plug-in hybrids have gained 40% more pure EV range. 5th generation of eDrive will make the i Family of autos with battery ranges from 342 miles to 435 miles.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

No, they just released updates of the i8 a few months ago. 

Holy crap; BMW sold 39 copies in February, and it's freshly updated! I realize it's $143K, but there are so few buyers for this.
So BMW decides it's going to 'fix' the problem by splitting the 'puddle' of buyers into 3 models that sell 15 copies/month?

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Holy crap; BMW sold 39 copies in February, and it's freshly updated! I realize it's $143K, but there are so few buyers for this.
So BMW decides it's going to 'fix' the problem by splitting the 'puddle' of buyers into 3 models that sell 15 copies/month?

This is what BMW calls "mass production" as it pertains to EV.