Dodge News: 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit Joins the Force

There will soon be another police vehicle you'll need to keep an eye out for. Today, Dodge announced the Durango Pursuit which will give police departments another choice in the utility segment.

Power comes from the 5.7L HEMI V8 producing 360 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. This comes paired with an eight-speed automatic and full-time all-wheel drive system. A two-speed transfer case should help out if a chase goes off-road. There are numerous upgrades including stronger brakes, heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump; and larger alternator. Standard equipment includes tri-zone temperature control, eight-way power adjustments for the driver, and trailer sway control.

“Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle. The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America.

Police departments will need to be quick on ordering one, as Dodge will only be offering the Durango Pursuit for a limited time.

Source: Dodge

Dodge Announces Police Pursuit Version of 2018 Durango

May 10, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Dodge is expanding its police vehicle lineup, adding a new Pursuit version of its Dodge Durango.

“Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America. “The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country.”

The 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit is powered by the legendary 5.7L HEMI® V-8, coupled with a full-time, active all-wheel-drive (AWD) system. This is the same powertrain combination most commonly deployed in the Dodge Charger Pursuit, the top-selling police sedan in the U.S. market. The Durango Pursuit also offers a two-speed transfer case for true low-range off-road capability and incorporates larger, heavy-duty anti-lock brakes that deliver a 60-0 mile per hour (mph) stopping distance of 134 feet.

Other notable standard features of the 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit include:

• 5.7L V-8 HEMI with Fuel Saver Technology delivers best-in-class horsepower (360) and torque (390 lb.-ft.)
  • Eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick shifts and improved fuel economy
  • Rear-wheel-drive-based drivetrain is the foundation for Durango’s outstanding on-road driving performance. Standard AWD further enhances driver confidence by leveraging the SUV’s 50/50 weight distribution
  • Segment’s longest wheelbase (119.8 inches) provides added stability and improved handling
  • Best-in-class 7,200 lb. towing capability
  • 8.1 inches of ground clearance
  • ParkView® rear backup camera with ParkSense® alert
  • Eight-way power adjusting driver seat controls
  • Air conditioning with air filtration
  • Under-vehicle mount for spare tire, maximizing interior cargo space and accessibility
  • Class-exclusive, K-9 friendly Tri-Zone interior temperature control
  • Trailer sway control
  • Spot lamp wiring prep package
  • 220-amp alternator
  • 800 cold cranking amp (CCA) battery
  • Heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump
  • Power locking fuel filler door

The new 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit V-8 AWD is available for order for a limited time. For more information, law enforcement agencies should call (800) 999-3533.

View full article

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

Standard equipment includes tri-zone temperature control, eight-way power adjustments for the driver, and trailer sway control.

Those all sound so got damn unnecessary in a vehicle like this. 

Also, as a tax payer, I think the 5.7 needs to not be in this. They can't and aren't chasing people anymore and it's a 3 row SUV, there's no need for the extra power when 300hp in the V6 isn't weak. 

295hp,18/25mpg 

360hp, 14/22mpg 

🤔

46 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Also, as a tax payer, I think the 5.7 needs to not be in this. They can't and aren't chasing people anymore and it's a 3 row SUV, there's no need for the extra power when 300hp in the V6 isn't weak. 

295hp,18/25mpg 

360hp, 14/22mpg 

🤔

Probably just taking a mid-level Durango and copifying it. 

I wonder why it's a limited time only thing.  Police Departments are moving to SUVs as fast as the rest of the buying public.

Next up, Traverse PPV?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Probably just taking a mid-level Durango and copifying it. 

I wonder why it's a limited time only thing.  Police Departments are moving to SUVs as fast as the rest of the buying public.

Next up, Traverse PPV?

Probably doing a limited test run as far as MY 2018.... and if they are favorably received, they will offer it more widely for MY 2019? 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

295hp,18/25mpg 

360hp, 14/22mpg 

🤔

Keep in mind that if they are a K9 Unit, the Tri-Zone will be good to have to keep the far back cool and comfy for the K9 Officer. 

Mid section you can just cool the criminal!

Front section, gotta keep the cops comfy too as already stated, they come in all different shapes and sizes. :P 

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Makes sense for Dodge but less so for the people buying them who don't need those additional costs. 

I would think the only cost that is relevant to departments is how does compare in cost to a comparable Ford Interceptor utility?  This isn't the 80s where police vehicles had manual windows and vinyl bench seats.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Police departments aren't going to care about an extra $100

They aren't because they have a minimum they "need" to spend. 

Tax payers should care about the money though. I'd rather the money go towards equipment or gear that they'd use rather than tri-zome climate control and trailer sway control along with the V8 over the V6(which is more than $100). 

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would think the only cost that is relevant to departments is how does compare in cost to a comparable Ford Interceptor utility?  This isn't the 80s where police vehicles had manual windows and vinyl bench seats.. 

And that's fine. I'm not asking for crank windows but 2 things that just seem incredibly wasteful to pay for are the V8 and tri-zone climate control. I know there will always be vents in all three rows but I guess the way that's worded it feel like they can each be controlled individually. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh boy, what did they ever do before having tri-zone climate control...? 🙄

We'll added value on resale when all those Cop SUVs come up for sale. It has Tri-Zone Climate Control. :P 

Found this page for the '18 Durango Special Service fleet model...

https://www.fcausfleet.com/dodge/durango-ssv.html

On the page for the Charger Pursuit, I saw a 12.1 inch version of the UConnect screen available, didn't realize it was on anything thing yet but the '19 Ram..neat.

https://www.fcausfleet.com/dodge/charger-pursuit.html

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar