$35k Sports Car Question

ykX

$35k Sports Car Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose with your money?

• New Mustang GT, performance package (non-premium)
    • New Miata RF (or regular) Club
    • Used C6 Corvette base

This is tough between the Vette and Mustang.. for 35k I assume that'd be a Z06 as well? If it was a Z06 it would be difficult to pass up compared to a Mustang GT. 

If not a little older Z06 the Grand Sports are plentiful in the sub 35k range. I don't recall what all makes a Grand Sport but I bet it has some good sports car goodies. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I just now read "base" in your description and I think if it was a base C6 I would take an '18 Mustang GT over it. 

I believe for about $35k you can get 2011 -2013 base C6 with low miles.  I don't want to compare it to a 15 year old Vette or a car with 100k miles, so I put something reasonable.

Edited by ykX

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

I believe for about $35k you can get 2011 -2013 base C6 with low miles.  I don't want to compare it to a 15 year old Vette or a car with 100k miles, so I put something reasonable.

There are definitely 2010-2013 Grand Sports available under 50k miles and 08-09 Z06's available with under 50k miles as well. 

'08 Z06

'13 Grand Sport

These are just quick finds but there are both that can be found with either more miles and 30k or less miles and over 35k but there are plenty under 35k available. Both seem like hella performance for the dollar. 

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There are definitely 2010-2013 Grand Sports available under 50k miles and 08-09 Z06's available with under 50k miles as well. 

'08 Z06

'13 Grand Sport

These are just quick finds but there are both that can be found with either more miles and 30k or less miles and over 35k but there are plenty under 35k available. Both seem like hella performance for the dollar. 

Sure.

One thing, I don't look at them strictly from a performance perspective.  None of us is a professional driver and these will not be strictly track cars.  I probably should have put a little more info into the question and poll, but I look at these as a second "fun" car.  How much of the Z06 capability you or I can actually use?

Lets just stick to these three for now.

30 minutes ago, ykX said:

Sure.

One thing, I don't look at them strictly from a performance perspective.  None of us is a professional driver and these will not be strictly track cars.  I probably should have put a little more info into the question and poll, but I look at these as a second "fun" car.  How much of the Z06 capability you or I can actually use?

Lets just stick to these three for now.

Oh I definitely agree that we will almost never extract 100% performance from any of the above three cars but there are things that I would prefer over the base model in the GS like:

"(spring rates, closer ratio manual transmission gearing and shorter axle ratio on the automatic), and Z06 bits (front and rear fascias, hood, anti-roll bars, brake rotors and calipers, wider tires and the bodywork to cover them). The dry-sump oiling system from the Z06 and ZR1 is also fitted to manual Grand Sports, which means these special motors will now be hand assembled alongside their big-brother stablemates, the LS7 and LS9 engines, in Wixom Michigan, each by a single technician who will sign his or her work. The only major parts they had to tool up were the front fenders, which feature double-gill cove styling and are made of RIM plastic like the base car's, the rear quarter panels, unique new wheels, and the actual springs and dampers, which are tailored to the GS's unique weight and characteristics (they ride almost exactly like the old Z51's)."

A Grand Sport would be a great all around sports car and it's "only" 436hp/428tq. 

For me, a sporty coupe or convertible would be a weekend fun car to take to the hills and winding roads about 2 hours from here for the occasional  drive, and for driving to the beach, etc.  I wouldn't need all out track performance.  The Corvette doesn't really appeal to me--the interior is too dated and aren't the seats of the C6 supposed to be awful?  Seems like a Miata or Mustang would be way more modern inside and enjoyable.   A V8 Challenger (2015+) is appealing to me also. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

The bigger brakes, closer ratio transmission, and wider wheels/tires would be of the main selling points to the GS for me. I wouldn't care quite as much about the Z's body work. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

For me, a sporty coupe or convertible would be a weekend fun car to take the hills about 2 hours from here for the occasional weekend fun drive, and for driving to the beach, etc.  I wouldn't need all out track performance.  The Corvette doesn't really appeal to me--the interior is too dated and aren't the seats of the C6 supposed to be awful?  Seems like a Miata or Mustang would be way more modern inside and enjoyable. 

Personally, I see that on both sides of the coin. 

1: A more spartan interior makes it more of a driver-oriented experience and less focus on the soft-touch materials and overall quietness and refined interior. Just drive to drive.

2: why wouldn't I want a nicer interior? 

Love the Corvette look inside and out compared to the mustang and miata. I would not turn down a Mustang though if offered to me. Miata, that can die as too small and not comfy at all for me.

56 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Love the Corvette look inside and out compared to the mustang and miata. I would not turn down a Mustang though if offered to me. Miata, that can die as too small and not comfy at all for me.

I sat in both at an auto show and to me Corvette's interior felt about as small as Miata's.  For comfort  I think Mustang will be substantially more comfortable without a question.

When compared by numbers interior of the C6 and Miata (first number is Corvette) they are very close:

Front Legroom

43.1 "

43.1 "

Front Headroom

37.7 "

37.4 "

Front Hip Room

53.7 "

52.0 "

Front Shoulder Room

55.2 "

52.2 "

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

For me, a sporty coupe or convertible would be a weekend fun car to take to the hills and winding roads about 2 hours from here for the occasional  drive, and for driving to the beach, etc.  I wouldn't need all out track performance.  The Corvette doesn't really appeal to me--the interior is too dated and aren't the seats of the C6 supposed to be awful?  Seems like a Miata or Mustang would be way more modern inside and enjoyable.   A V8 Challenger (2015+) is appealing to me also. 

Personally I tend to agree.  In a year or two I think C7 Corvette prices will get to be mid thirties and than it might be a more difficult comparison.

Edited by ykX

17 minutes ago, William Maley said:

I would go Miata RF myself since I know that I can have more fun with it (in legal limits). Mustang would be a close second.

Yes, the sheer fun factor is what appeals to me about the Miata.   I'd probably go for a roadster in Grand Touring spec.   

• 2 weeks later...

@ykX

For the money, none of the 3 cars would be on my radar in real life. That said, if I HAD to choose one of the 3, I'd go with a new 2019 Miata. The power bump really saves. Beyond that, it looks great and has a handling balance/sweetness and tactility that neither of the other 2 could ever dream of matching.

35K is C6 Grandsport money, and even higher mileage Z06 if you look hard enough, any reason to go base?

Aside from that, I'd pass straight over all of these and find the nicest manual RWD 997 Coupe I could get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@ykX

For the money, none of the 3 cars would be on my radar in real life. That said, if I HAD to choose one of the 3, I'd go with a new 2019 Miata. The power bump really saves. Beyond that, it looks great and has a handling balance/sweetness and tactility that neither of the other 2 could ever dream of matching.

35K is C6 Grandsport money, and even higher mileage Z06 if you look hard enough, any reason to go base?

Aside from that, I'd pass straight over all of these and find the nicest manual RWD 997 Coupe I could get.

Thanks a lot for the input. 

I know you are 911 fan but German cars (911, Cayman or M3/M4) are out for me for a number of reasons.

I think C6 base I can get relatively new and low mileage for the money, and the performance will be enough for my needs.  Actually, I doubt I will be ready to buy sooner than a year or so from now, and by that time C7 might be obtainable for that money.

Edited by ykX