Porsche News: Porsche Can't Seem To Make Up Its Mind on 911 Hybrid

William Maley

Porsche has been hemming and hawing on whether or not to move forward with hybridizing the 911. Previously, Porsche said they would be bringing out a hybrid option for the 911 in 2022. But now, Porsche is putting those plans on hold until battery technology gets to a point where they see it as beneficial for the model.

“Today the battery technology wouldn’t be satisfying for us, and if it doesn’t satisfy us then we won’t offer it. It doesn’t make sense to offer a hybrid version which will just stay in the showroom, ” said August Achleitner, product-line director for the 911.

“It will be the next evolution of this car, that means at least four years from today.”

Some of the key issues deal with the additional weight that would come from adding a hybrid system, along with making sure the hybrid powertrain is able to help with overall performance.

Here is how Auto Express describes it,

Porsche insiders say the lessons learned from the 918 Spyder and Cayenne E-Hybrid projects will help them maintain the 911’s agility. Engineers are not currently happy the weight and performance today’s batteries would bring, hence the delay in developing such a model.

In certain dynamic respects hybrid power can be used as a plus, say the firm’s hybrid engineers, with four-wheel-drive e-power adding not just traction but also handling flexibility to the 911 recipe.

There is talk about Porsche possibly offering two hybrid variants of 911 - a middle of the range model to serve as an alternative to the Carrera and one to serve as the performance flagship, something akin to the Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid.

But it's going to be some time before we see any hybrid arrive on the 911.

Source: Auto Express, Drive

View full article

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

My question is whether Porsche buyers will purchase a 911 hybrid seven years from now.  There is no indication that they will buy it in large enough numbers for it to be worthwhile from an investment point of view.

Seems to be enough willing to spend millions on their hyper hybrid car, I bet they would buy this too. I have multiple coworkers that have Porsche cars and they are all super excited for the electric versions to come out. I actually expect the Porsche buyers to be more embracing than other OEM buyers.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

What a load of BS!  You choose any crack to try to wedge this crap in!

You must not live in an area that has money to burn and engineers that are more excited about the new faster tech and cars than old stuff. New money is all made on the west coast I guess, static quo on the east coast then? 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

You must not live in an area that has money to burn and engineers that are more excited about the new faster tech and cars than old stuff. New money is all made on the west coast I guess, static quo on the east coast then? 🤷‍♂️

Remember, in blu’s area, ‘alternative power’ means horse and buggy, not EV or hybrids.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, riviera74 said:

My question is whether Porsche buyers will purchase a 911 hybrid seven years from now.  There is no indication that they will buy it in large enough numbers for it to be worthwhile from an investment point of view.

They have more money than God and anything to get them attention will keep them in that position.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

What a load of BS!  You choose any crack to try to wedge this crap in!

And watching you two fight like my cats when I dump cat treats on the floor is highly amusing.

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Remember, in blu’s area, ‘alternative power’ means horse and buggy, not EV or hybrids.

Lots of progressive people in Pennsylvania want Teslas. I see a bunch on the road there. And nothing wrong with Horse and Buggy either.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:09 AM, dfelt said:

Solid State deep density batteries is where this will help small auto's like the basic 2 door Porsche. Yup about 5-7 years away for them.

Looking forward to that day.

• Like 1