GM News: GM To Launch Electric Bike Brand in Europe

General Motors is launching a new brand to sell electric bikes in Europe. The brand, ARĪV (pronounced Arrive) will launch first in German, Belgium, and the Netherlands, countries where lithium-ion powered bikes are already popular.

Two models will be offered, the Meld at 2,800€ and the foldable Merge (shown above) at 3,400€.  

Both bikes include Bluetooth technology for riders to track metrics such as speed, distance, battery level, and more. A USB port is included to help charge riders phones while underway.

GM's experience in automotive EV technology was used for developing the powertrain on these bikes. The motor provides top of the segment torque for its size and enables speeds of up to 25 kph. The ARĪV battery charges from empty in about 3 1/2 hours with up to a 40-mile range on a single charge.

Shipments of the bikes are scheduled to begin in Q2 of 2019.

View full article

Very cool since I posted the story about the bike and the naming contest that they have moved forward with the official name and more detials. Very cool, I can actually see many in the HighTech Community buying this.

GM Press release is interesting that they did it from their Canada site and not the US site.

https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2019/Feb/0214-ariv.html

Did not know that while Oshawa has lost manufacturing jobs, GM opened their Urban mobility division there.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2019/02/general-motors-new-ebikes-have-arived/

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't know what battery powered bike sales prices are like, but like all things GM lately, this seems pretty overpriced. 

These prices are right inline with current electric bikes here in the States and in Europe. Benefit of the GM eBike is that it has class leading Torque and a cell phone holder with USB and Bluetooth.

Now celebrating 10 years here in Seattle, you can compare and see that the prices are inline with what GM is selling them for in the 3 largest European market.

https://www.seattleelectricbike.net/

A number of US eBike dealers are willing to import this bike for those that are interested.

There you go. Your overpriced Blazer funds overpriced bikes.

Europeans are on the whole much healthier and therefore lighter than Americans. They don't need the assist.

I see this going two ways. 

It either makes money but still is a waste of time.

Or it doesn't make money and it's a collosal waste of time.

Wait I get. They want to make autonomous bikes. No pedaling... No handlebar. Just sit hunched over and look at your phone the whole damn time with wind in your face. It's the new convertible! So good!

• Haha 3

On 2/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't know what battery powered bike sales prices are like, but like all things GM lately, this seems pretty overpriced. 

My mom recently bought one and they're 3-5k(just another thing she will use for a month or two and never use it again..🙄). This doesn't seem too optimistic. Hers is an "actual" road bike though, not this funky city bike-like thing. 

Edited by ccap41

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

My mom recently bought one and they're 3-5k(just another thing she will use for a month or two and never use it again..🙄). This doesn't seem too optimistic. Hers is an "actual" road bike though, not this funky city bike-like thing. 

That's really pricey for something not being used for commuting.  At least in the countries listed, commuting by bike is common. 

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's really pricey for something not being used for commuting.  At least in the countries listed, commuting by bike is common. 

Yes and no. I agree it's a lot of money but if riding is your hobby you likely already have a couple/few grand into a bike anyway. My parents justification is so my mom can ride further with my dad. I think it's a bunch of BS, personally.. 

Yeah, this GM bike looks like a commuting bike as it looks more compact and funky ergonomics.

54 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yes and no. I agree it's a lot of money but if riding is your hobby you likely already have a couple/few grand into a bike anyway. My parents justification is so my mom can ride further with my dad. I think it's a bunch of BS, personally.. 

Yeah, this GM bike looks like a commuting bike as it looks more compact and funky ergonomics.

Do not forget the cool Blue tooth connectivity, recharging dock and place to hold your phone. ;) :P  Yes it has that and I am being sarcastic as the bulk of people in Seattle do not bike ride in the rain up and down hills.

Random-but-related aside..back in the oughts when I rode a bicycle on trails/etc for 'fun', I worked for a few years at a company that would have a bike to work day once a month in the summer.    I lived about 5 miles from their office in Denver.   I would come in early, hauling my bike on a rack on the back of my Jeep, park in the parking garage, unload the bike, and ride out a couple blocks from the office and then 'ride to work'... 

I'm not sure I'd ride a bike much where I live now in the Cleveland suburbs..too many hills and potholed streets.   But in the some local parks (the metro park system is very extensive here) I might ride one...

Edited by Robert Hall

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Random-but-related aside..back in the oughts when I rode a bicycle on trails/etc for 'fun', I worked for a few years at a company that would have a bike to work day once a month in the summer.    I lived about 5 miles from their office in Denver.   I would come in early, hauling my bike on a rack on the back of my Jeep, park in the parking garage, unload the bike, and ride out a couple blocks from the office and then 'ride to work'... 

I'm not sure I'd ride a bike much where I live now in the Cleveland suburbs..too many hills and potholed streets.   But in the some local parks (the metro park system is very extensive here) I might ride one...

Too many hills and traffic for me to get to work here in Pittsburgh... plus only about 3 months a year of acceptable weather to do it in 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Too many hills and traffic for me to get to work here in Pittsburgh... plus only about 3 months a year of acceptable weather to do it in 

Totally agree, Seattle is the same way, at most 3 months a year of decent weather for bike riding, rest of the year. PASS, too wet or frozen.