Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

Honda News: Honda Civic Hatch and Type-R Production Heading to the North America

Recommended Posts

Last week we reported that Honda would be closing their UK manufacturing plant in Swindon.  That plant produces Honda Civics and CR-Vs mostly for the European market.  However, in addition to European production, the Swindon plant also produces the Civic Hatchback and Civic Type-R for North America. Production in Swindon is to finish out the model run into 2021.

Automotive News reports that Honda CEO Takahir Hachigo said "Given out efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity on a global scale, we have concluded that we will produce the Civic for North America in North America." The North American sourced Honda Civic is built in Alliston, Ontario and Greensburgh Indiana. 

The Honda Civic hatchback makes up about one third of Civic's 325,760 US sales for 2018.


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good news as long as car sales last for Honda, though I think they will continue to reduce down as CUV/SUV sales take over and with the move to EVs, I can see Cars becoming a very minor sale item as people want the all activity vehicle that EV will allow  I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

This is good news as long as car sales last for Honda, though I think they will continue to reduce down as CUV/SUV sales take over and with the move to EVs, I can see Cars becoming a very minor sale item as people want the all activity vehicle that EV will allow  I think.

Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

So long as they keep the Type R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

So long as they keep the Type R.

Type-R is usually delayed by a year after the new model comes out, so there may be a gap. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Type-R is usually delayed by a year after the new model comes out, so there may be a gap. 

That's OK...I just don't want to loose small performance oriented cars.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

considering how ass ugly the hatch is, yes 1/3 is surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, regfootball said:

considering how ass ugly the hatch is, yes 1/3 is surprising.

I kinda like them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Civic hatchbacks seem to do well up here when they offer them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good people will still have the “fun” car to drive around......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hatch version definitely stands out..a buddy of mine in Colorado replaced his problem-plagued Mini Cooper w/ a Civic Si a couple years ago---gray hatchback w/ red trim..he loves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The hatch version definitely stands out..a buddy of mine in Colorado replaced his problem-plagued Mini Cooper w/ a Civic Si a couple years ago---gray hatchback w/ red trim..he loves it. 

it'll probably run forever since they have no rust out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...