Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chrysler News: Chrysler Pacifica Could Get All-Wheel Drive

The Chrysler Pacifica is often considered the best of a very small market.  There are only five mini-vans left on the market, and only one of those has all-wheel drive optional, the Toyota Sienna.

That stat could be changing if rumors about the Chrysler Pacifica prove true.  According to Automotive News, Chrysler is hard at work on an AWD option for the Pacifica.  While not officially confirmed by Chrysler, the union chief for the Windsor plant where Pacifica is built appears to have spilled the beans. If AWD does come to the Pacifica, it may not be until the 2021 model year.

Adding AWD would be likely help to boost sales in the North East US and in Canada. Chrysler moved 118k Pacificas in 2018 vs. 151k Dodge Caravans which sell at a lower price. Combined, the two minivans are 56% of the total minivan market. 

View full article

Very cool, this would increase sales here in Washington state. I cannot tell you how many GM AWD full size vans I see on the passes either there for ski / snowboard or with trailer hitch and snowmobiles. AWD is the right thing to do for Chrysler on their minivan.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...the Chrysler minivans used to have to an AWD option, but they dropped it 15 years ago when they added sto-n-go.. 

I still see a ton of these all the time especially on the weekend when I go skiing.

See the source image

AWD with mini stage coach doors. Rather comfy way to go up the mountain and even off road.

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe they figured out how to route the driveshaft around the storage tubs..or buckets in rows 2 & 3 with a tunnel between the tubs. 

Maybe... but I think they're just not going to have Stow-n-go on AWD models. 

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Maybe... but I think they're just not going to have Stow-n-go on AWD models. 

I wonder if the AWD option would be on the Hybrids only as you could probably squeeze an electric motor between those rear wheels.

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I wonder if the AWD option would be on the Hybrids only as you could probably squeeze an electric motor between those rear wheels.

Sounds likely.  Either way, an AWD minivan is a good idea given what a minivan is for.

• Agree 1

We love ours, but now this past winter, I do think AWD would be nice to have.  I think i could live with losing the Stow N Go because of it.  But at the same time, i had thought if Chrysler put out a new 3 row crossover SUV with AWD and same drivetrain I might prefer that and get away from the minivan.  Main reason is kids are growing up and concern for flinging doors around not as much.  Also, I would prefer to get vehicle with real center console and shifter.  The twist knob for a shifter is ok to use and space efficient, but at the end of the day, I still like a shifter.  Cadillac XT4 or a small knob like on the Regal with a is the way to go if you still want your man card.

Minivan sales DO suffer in part due to lack of AWD in this neck of the woods.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 3

On 3/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I hope and wonder if this isn't a bit of a headfake.  Maybe Chrysler is finally getting a Pacifica based crossover?

at this point to me, i like how the Pacifica drives, if it were either, and it kept the same v6, it'd be something I'd look at seriously.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I didn't realize this didn't already have AWD. 

Lost it after the previous generation Chrysler Mini-Vans got Stow and Go seats. 

1 hour ago, frogger said:

As far as minivans go I think only the Sienna has it currently.

Correct.