Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM News: General Motors to use Google Software in Infotainment systems

General Motors will be using Google Software for its embedded infotainment systems starting in 2021. This is in contrast to the Amazon Alexa capability found in some new Ford vehicles starting this year.

The systems from GM will offer Google assistant, Google Maps, and certain other applications that are available in the Google Play app store in all of its brands except those in China.

GM and other automakers have resisted demands by consumers for this type of software built in out of a fear of losing control of data and the possibility that the Silicon Valley brands eclipse their own. Consumer demand has forced the manufacturers’ hands however.

Google will not have access to any of the data regarding driving style or vehicle maintenance needs, so consumers need not fear tracking or monetization by Google based on vehicular data.

Through Google Assistant, GM hopes to offer additional services such as scheduling service appointments. Some of the services Google Assistant supplies are duplicates of offerings by GM’s own OnStar service. However, OnStar still is able to respond to an accident whereas Google Assistant cannot. Furthermore, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will continue to be offered.

Expect the Google Assistant packages to be an additional cost item, and prices will be released closer to launch date. The agreement with Google allows for the installation in up to 3.6 million vehicles annually, the number of vehicles sold outside of China last year.

Other manufacturers using Google’s systems are Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi and Volvo.

View full article

• Agree 1

Since they are building the foundation to attach the apps from the play store, just hope they do not F it up in the way it connects and works.

GM and Ford both have a record of taking something good from another vendor and messing it up!

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

GM's most recent infotainment system runs on Android now, but doesn't use any of the Google Assistant stuff. 

Did not know they had changed that much, thank you for posting about it, very good to know.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Did not know they had changed that much, thank you for posting about it, very good to know.

Yeah, they did a major update about 2 years ago starting with the Equinox and Terrain. It's substantially better than the prior version

• Thanks 1

About the only google app I use often is Google Maps.  Having Google Maps as alternative to the factory nav would be nice.  I use Google Maps on my iPhone, is Google Maps accessible via Car Play (if you have it on an iPhone) or Android Auto (if you have it on an Android Phone)?    

I don't use voice assistants, so that wouldn't be useful to me.

29 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

About the only google app I use often is Google Maps.  Having Google Maps as alternative to the factory nav would be nice.  I use Google Maps on my iPhone, is Google Maps accessible via Car Play (if you have it on an iPhone) or Android Auto (if you have it on an Android Phone)?    

I don't use voice assistants, so that wouldn't be useful to me.

Google Maps and Waze are both accessible from CarPlay and Android Auto 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I CAN UP VOTE THIS 1 MILLION times as my new Head unit in the SS has both support and the Google Maps with voice enabled ROCKS! :metal:

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Google maps via CarPlay...is the BEST nav system I've used in ages. Love it.

Driving in the middle of a forest or nowhere, turn on satellite view, great. Tap the voice and just say a business name and always find it while driving? Great. Add a stop along the way? Great. I let Waze run in the background for cops, etc. but Google primarily.

More integration...great. Car makers need to stop wasting so much money developing computer systems, and focus on the vehicle. I.E., Acura, etc...millions on "true touch" only for it to be a mess. Just use a screen, get better software, and stop.

• Agree 4

Gotta love CarPlay Google Maps earth view. Especially helpful if in the middle of nowhere.

Last night getting back to Philly from upstate NY. Best voice recognition on this one, and helpful "may be closed...is closing soon..." notifications when you pick certain businessed based on your travel. Every day in my car. I can't fathom using an inbuilt system again...and have one.

IMG_4004.PNG

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 4

On 9/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, caddycruiser said:

Gotta love CarPlay Google Maps earth view. Especially helpful if in the middle of nowhere.

Last night getting back to Philly from upstate NY. Best voice recognition on this one, and helpful "may be closed...is closing soon..." notifications when you pick certain businessed based on your travel. Every day in my car. I can't fathom using an inbuilt system again...and have one.

IMG_4004.PNG

I"m the same way with Android Auto.  I use the phone screen interface for mine since my Toronado doesn't have an AA head unit. 

• Agree 1