Mercedez Benz News G-Class to get Electric Model

Daimler CEO Källenius announced on Twitter yesterday that there would be a zero-emission EV version of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class on the way. He continued, "In the past there were discussions whether we should eliminate the model, the way I see things now I'd say the last Mercedes to be built will be a G-Class".

The G-Class is already one of the most expensive models sold under the Mercedes-Benz brand. The EV version of the G-Class will likely be sold under the EQ brand. 

An electric G-Class already exists though as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kreisel Electric have already converted a G-Class to an EV.  It packs dual battery packs for 80-kWh of capacity good for a range of about 186 miles.

No further details have been released as to when the EV G-Class would be launched. 

View full article

Decisions made by Kill Anus as Diamler CEO have no bearing on my global world.  When I hear that half the EVs in the US are registered in California, it does not surprise me one little bit.  1.9% of the market is nothing.  :smilewide:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Of course there will be an electric G-class.   Daimler has a plan to be carbon neutral in 20 years, so the whole line will have to EV by then, I imagine the G-wagon being one of their icons, will be electric to lead that change.

I think, by the quote, there was a decision being made whether or not to kill it and they opted not to.

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think, by the quote, there was a decision being made whether or not to kill it and they opted not to.

They were going to kill the G-wagen back in 2005 or 2006, in fact I think the decision was a done deal to kill it because the GL was coming.  But the G-wagen fans lobbied for Mercedes to keep making it so they did.

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Decisions made by Kill Anus as Diamler CEO have no bearing on my global world.  When I hear that half the EVs in the US are registered in California, it does not surprise me one little bit.  1.9% of the market is nothing.  :smilewide:

Funny. That’s how I feel about the insignificance of diesels in the US. Outside of full size pick ups, they are less than non-existent, even more so than EVs currently. Difference between the two is that one is headed upwards with a wide range of makes and models (EVs) while the other has one failed attempt after another outside of those full size trucks. Perspective (and facts) can be a fickle thing. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Of course, trucks & SUVs have hit like 71% of the U.S. market and are still climbing. And within that segment, diesels are expanding (half-tons, mid-size, a handful of SUVs).

Adding while not selling worth a damn. Like I said, outside of the full size truck market, diesels might as well be called “station wagons” in this country. Virtually no one wants them. Take out the full size truck market, and the take on diesels is laughably sad. 

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny. That’s how I feel about the insignificance of diesels in the US. Outside of full size pick ups, they are less than non-existent, even more so than EVs currently. Difference between the two is that one is headed upwards with a wide range of makes and models (EVs) while the other has one failed attempt after another outside of those full size trucks. Perspective (and facts) can be a fickle thing. 

Meh.  Politics is killing diesel, same as politics is propping up EV.  Except even with thievery, people are by and large not taking the EV bait.  Except on the loony left coast.  On my way home this afternoon, I was behind a silver Jetta Sportwagen TDi... even with all that pressure from Volkswagen, ppl are holding onto their VW diesels.

Just now, ocnblu said:

Meh.  Politics is killing diesel, same as politics is propping up EV.  Except even with thievery, people are by and large not taking the EV bait.  Except on the loony left coast.  On my way home this afternoon, I was behind a silver Jetta Sportwagen TDi... even with all that pressure from Volkswagen, ppl are holding onto their VW diesels.

Diesels are killing themselves.

That dude that dont want to let go of his VW Diesel?  He prolly wears out his boxer shorts and his socks  to the point of disintegration. 

The VW TDi is a great engine.  Politics and media pressure will kill it long before it dies on its own.  It is a 400k mile engine.  If there were no demand, why would VW have a certified used program for TDi powered vehicles?  There must be demand/money in it.

Edited by ocnblu

Hydrogen fuel cell could kill of diesel in bigger trucks, electric will kill it off everywhere else.  Combined with emissions standards.  Personally I think diesel pickups even the heavy duty ones should be held to the same emissions standards as cars.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1