Jump to content

3-row SUVs Comparison


Recommended Posts

Motor Trend recently did 3-row SUVs comparison and just today posted Explorer vs Traverse comparison

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/telluride/2020/3-row-midsize-suv-comparison-test/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-chevrolet-traverse-vs-2020-ford-explorer/

Both Explorer and Traverse rated pretty badly, with Traverse significantly better than the newer Explorer.

I think it is simply unforgivable for domestic bread and butter crossovers to be so bad and even more unbelievable that they are being badly beat by a KIA!  

This is overall test rating:

9th Place Volkswagen Atlas
It's plenty spacious but has a ride that will make kids carsick. VW needs to improve its family SUV's suspension.

8th Place Ford Explorer
It's new to market, but the Ford seems like it was built ages ago. Its price ladder doesn't speak well to value.

7th Place Mazda CX-9
Great power, ride, and handling, but that's not why folks buy people haulers. It's short of the traits that make a true family vehicle.

6th Place Chevrolet Traverse
A strong SUV just three years ago, the Traverse has suffered at the hands of the newer players in the segment. A rental car feel at a high price.

5th Place Toyota Highlander
The segment sales leader arrived with a cool new design, but a cramped third row and a thrashy powertrain hurt.

4th Place Hyundai Palisade
A smart value, the Palisade raises eyebrows at school plays and soccer practice. Ride is stiff for kids, though.

3rd Place Honda Pilot
The smartly packaged Pilot scores highly with its responsive suspension and direct steering feel.

2nd Place Subaru Ascent
It's oddly styled, but once you see how spacious and capable it is, the Ascent checks many boxes. Plus: value.

1st Place Kia Telluride
Eye-catching design, an elegant interior, and excellent value. The Telluride doesn't disappoint. A class above.

Edited by ykX
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad that Kia, Subaru, Honda and Hyundai all placed above Ford and Chevrolet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Sad that Kia, Subaru, Honda and Hyundai all placed above Ford and Chevrolet.

Especially considering they have dropped sedans and focus on CUV's and SUV's.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, frogger said:

Especially considering they have dropped sedans and focus on CUV's and SUV's.

 

Sounds like as often is the case, Ford and Chevy are let down by cheap skating their products, esp. on the interiors. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The explorer has been extremely disappointing everywhere outside of its drivetrain.. That's about all it has going for it and even then the 2.3 is a little small for a 3-rower. 

What a botch by Ford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sad that Kia, Subaru, Honda and Hyundai all placed above Ford and Chevrolet.

Well, Ford and Chevy could just cut prices by a few grand and push an MCE into market ASAP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wanted a 3 row I'd go for the Dodge Durango over any of these..the oldest of the bunch, but I like the design inside and out. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

If I wanted a 3 row I'd go for the Dodge Durango over any of these..the oldest of the bunch, but I like the design inside and out. 

I like Durango as well, it is the most "truckest" of the bunch.  However, (basing ion my wife's response" it is exactly the reason why most women wouldn't choose it.  I started paying attention who drives Durango some time ago and most of them are driven by guys.  However, IMO majority of 3-row crossovers are driven by women.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dodge Durango gets my vote, too.  I do like the new Explorer just judging from a walkaround, haven't been inside one.  The Traverse is also nice and I like the interior, not sure what parts of it could be construed as "cheap".

For foreign makes, I would take the Telluride I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Durango is basically a 3 row version of the WK2 Grand Cherokee w/ slightly different interior trim and different exterior..same good platform and engines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Telluride (no question, just checks every box), and Durango gets my votes also. Telluride, no question. Durango, in current form, is one of the most refined, efficient, capable, etc. in the group, with space and capability. Solid, proven, a pleasure to drive, spacious, and add in a well baked ZF 8-speed, RWD based tank platform, etc.

The Explorer is a mess. Great on paper, great in theory, but built to 80% and they missed taking those great RWD bones, and actually refining them. Glitchy powertrain, unrefined and weird 10-speed performance, unrefined ride/handling, and garbage interior bits. Hopefully 2-3 years in it gets a rebake, and refresh to tune it up.

Traverse...rental car feel, extraordinare. Had 2016 for 3 years. The new gen has better dynamics and sharper responses, mixed with bleh cheap plastics and lack of details, ugly cheap silver wheels, plastic galore, etc. GM and Ford are in a similar spot right now with "they got so good" then..."let's go cheap, plasticky again, and who cares" downward cycle.

Then Telluride...well...

Any automaker. Just take a Telluride, and do that. It checks every box properly, right, and is priced bizarrely normal too, less than others. $60k Enclave with bleh guts (used to set an example) or $43k Telluride that feels worth $10k more, and is nicer day to day. No question.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caddycruiser said:

Telluride (no question, just checks every box), and Durango gets my votes also. Telluride, no question. Durango, in current form, is one of the most refined, efficient, capable, etc. in the group, with space and capability. Solid, proven, a pleasure to drive, spacious, and add in a well baked ZF 8-speed, RWD based tank platform, etc.

The Explorer is a mess. Great on paper, great in theory, but built to 80% and they missed taking those great RWD bones, and actually refining them. Glitchy powertrain, unrefined and weird 10-speed performance, unrefined ride/handling, and garbage interior bits. Hopefully 2-3 years in it gets a rebake, and refresh to tune it up.

Traverse...rental car feel, extraordinare. Had 2016 for 3 years. The new gen has better dynamics and sharper responses, mixed with bleh cheap plastics and lack of details, ugly cheap silver wheels, plastic galore, etc. GM and Ford are in a similar spot right now with "they got so good" then..."let's go cheap, plasticky again, and who cares" downward cycle.

Then Telluride...well...

Any automaker. Just take a Telluride, and do that. It checks every box properly, right, and is priced bizarrely normal too, less than others. $60k Enclave with bleh guts (used to set an example) or $43k Telluride that feels worth $10k more, and is nicer day to day. No question.

Yeah.  The Enclave could use an MCE, and so should all the large CUVs.  The Telluride and Palisade have thrown down the gauntlet.  It is well past time to meet that challenge and defeat the Hyundai/KIA twins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...