Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Lot Trolling : 2022 Jeep Compass pictures (oil change showroom time)

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Metal, wood, glass maybe, I dunno. You guys have seen other treatments, right?

Not in the class of vehicles the Compass currently occupies. It's always cheap plastic or leather boots. I'm with ccap. I'll take the boot over the cheap looking plastic. 

And I'm guessing your car is something from a different decade?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I'm guessing your car is something from a different decade?

Yes, of course.

Why can't something like this (immediately around the shifter) be done instead of whatever 20-yr old moon-pod Chevy shifter ccap posted above; I'd take this in a heartbeat over a 'leather' boot'

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.57.26 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

Here's a ferrari, with it's infamous gated shifter. Yeah- it's a manual- irrelevant. Yeah, it still doesn't look great (ferrari's aren't known for even marginally nice interiors), but it's better than the floppy, crumb-catcher vinyl boot (automatic OR manual).

So do a gated automatic- they're all 'by-wire' now so the pattern isn't mechanics-dependent, and come up with something better.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 3.06.19 PM.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Yes, of course.

Why can't something like this (immediately around the shifter) be done instead of whatever 20-yr old moon-pod Chevy shifter ccap posted above; I'd take this in a heartbeat over a 'leather' boot'

Ok, except for the disgusting carbon fiber...hate the look of that shit, real or faux.  And no cup holders, so not very usable.

With a modern automatic, I see no reason for a big shifter, I like the dial approach as seen on the new GC and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. 

GrandCherokee.jpg

WS022_100GWubncihkfiopr7jivk5lprloihd.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

just roll with the classsic gm t bar!!!! Yup 👍 

image.jpeg

Celebrity!!!

My dad's '86 was a column shift with a real bench seat in the front. ie: One piece bench and the entire front seat moved forwards and backwards.   

Good times with that bench seat!!!    👌👈     

I kinda prefer the dial shifter nowadays and NO CARBON FIBRE trim!!!  

Like @Robert Hall, I HATE THAT SHYTE TOO!!! 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Here's a ferrari, with it's infamous gated shifter. Yeah- it's a manual- irrelevant. Yeah, it still doesn't look great (ferrari's aren't known for even marginally nice interiors), but it's better than the floppy, crumb-catcher vinyl boot (automatic OR manual).

So do a gated automatic- they're all 'by-wire' now so the pattern isn't mechanics-dependent, and come up with something better.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 3.06.19 PM.png

You act like crumbs don't get down inside there or any other plastic ladened shifter. Newsflash. My Flex was terrible for that kind of stuff getting into the crevices around the shifter area. They do and they are even harder to clean than a simple boot area. Ive had any problem keeping mine clean. Guess it boils down to personal preference but lets not act like the other styles aren't a pain the ass to keep clean either.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yes, of course.

See my above post. Those crevices around the shifter area are not going to be fun area to get clean and free of debris. I don't even know why this is even a discussion, to be honest with you but since you brought it up then I figured it was fair game to point out your choices are also a pain in the ass to keep clean and there is simply no way that you will convince me otherwise. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, regfootball said:

just roll with the classsic gm t bar!!!! Yup 👍 

image.jpeg

GM sure loves the T BAR!!!

image.png

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Ok, except for the disgusting carbon fiber...hate the look of that shit, real or faux.  And no cup holders, so not very usable.

With a modern automatic, I see no reason for a big shifter, I like the dial approach as seen on the new GC and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. 

GrandCherokee.jpg

WS022_100GWubncihkfiopr7jivk5lprloihd.jpg

the integration of the dial shifter on the newest Jeeps is really done nicely....but after two Pacificas with dial shifters (which work nicely but don't really feel natural to use like a regular pull it back shifter) I think I really appreciate my booted shifter in my TourX.  Simple, classic.  Maybe a bit big.

image.png

The new Rogue has a little mini shifter, I want to try one of those out.

image.png

So does the Volvo XC40....

image.png

Not sure if I am a fan of the 'finger shifters' like in the new Envision....

image.png

Edited by regfootball

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

[typical surreal driving conditions : ]

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.13.47 PM.png

Nope. Not at all. The very few times I ever had to eat (like when I traveled across country), those few crumbs would get into the hard to reach places around the heat shifter. My bigger point, in case you missed it, is that a leather boot area around the shifter would have been far easier to clean. 

For the record, I was known as the Cookie Monster for years growing up. 

• Agree 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, regfootball said:

image.jpeg

Look at that, t-shifter, full instruments, and manual windows!  Boo to the strip speedo.

As for the Jeep photos, that's a nice spread of them @regfootball.  "Oil change showroom time" ... ain't that the truth.

As for the vehicle, up-market fit and finish, "boxier" looking bucket seats (which I like), but obnoxious infotainment center (TOO much).

With all this talk of different shifter possibilities, no one remembered to mention the trestle shifter?  I love these:

toronado-gray-interior-630x390.jpg

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Look at that, t-shifter, full instruments, and manual windows!  Boo to the strip speedo.

As for the Jeep photos, that's a nice spread of them @regfootball.  "Oil change showroom time" ... ain't that the truth.

As for the vehicle, up-market fit and finish, "boxier" looking bucket seats (which I like), but obnoxious infotainment center (TOO much).

With all this talk of different shifter possibilities, no one remembered to mention the trestle shifter?  I love these:

toronado-gray-interior-630x390.jpg

I think that is a late 80s Toronado?  I thought it was a W-body Cutlass, but it's different.  Definitely looks like an Olds steering wheel.

IIRC, some Chevy and Olds models used that style of shifter in the 70s (as did the '69-70 Ford XL). 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think that is a late 80s Toronado?  I thought it was a W-body Cutlass, but it's different.  Definitely looks like an Olds steering wheel.

IIRC, some Chevy and Olds models used that style of shifter in the 70s (as did the '69-70 Ford XL). 

It is an '87 Olds Toronado Trofeo.  What a nice cabin environment all the way around!

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...