2006 SSR Gets New Paint, More Power

Guest Josh

2006 Chevy SSR featuring the custom-look two-tone paint scheme of Smokin' Asphalt over Ricochet Silver. Horsepower is increased to 400 with six-speed transmission and 395 with automatic.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

hrm. fancy retro convertible built on existing chassis. sales low due to high price and lower power than expected. to boost sales company adds more power and special edition paint jobs. chevy ssr -or- plymouth prowler ??? funny how they are following the same path. both cars that are beautiful and i will never have.

At first when I saw the SSR, I didn't like it at all, but it has grown on me. GM is trying to sell it as a "limited edition, halo-type vehicle" so no major changes will be made I'm sure...but...Imagine this: Get rid of the retractable hardtop. Make it just a regular cabin like a truck. That will allow it to have a traditional, usable bed, a couple hundred lbs less weight, and I'm sure a few thousand less dollars in price. That is something I would be interested in. A cool looking, slightly more usable, performance oriented Hot-rod truck that costs less than the current SSR due to no retractable hard top.

At first when I saw the SSR, I didn't like it at all, but it has grown on me.

GM is trying to sell it as a "limited edition, halo-type vehicle" so no major changes will be made I'm sure...but...Imagine this:  Get rid of the retractable hardtop. Make it just a regular cabin like a truck.  That will allow it to have a traditional, usable bed, a couple hundred lbs less weight, and I'm sure a few thousand less dollars in price.

That is something I would be interested in.  A cool looking, slightly more usable, performance oriented Hot-rod truck that costs less than the current SSR due to no retractable hard top.

[post="910"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ASC did just that, and added more power too. I think they called it "Razorback" - if memory serves. Similar paint scheme too.

I just noticed the little GM badge on this guy. When will GM come to its senses? As for the paint scheme, this combo does add to the retro theme and maybe even adds a touch of class. It won't be to everybody's taste, though.

They need to put the SSR on a diet! Why not build the next SSR on GMT 355. or an extended Kappa to minimize the weight..

[post="886"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed, it's too heavy. I really doubt it will be around for more than
a few more years.

Agreed, it's too heavy. I really doubt it will be around for more than
a few more years.

[post="1564"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It was always meant to be a short production run . If you count the '06, it will have had only three full years of production(the '03s are very few) and that's what GM was talking about at the start. Hopefully a new El Camino will quickly follow in the SSR's wake.