HarleyEarl

2007 Dodge Nitro

26 posts in this topic

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=107108

Posted Image

Dodge was noncommittal about the production prospects of the Dodge Nitro concept when it first appeared at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show, but nobody was fooled. It looked ready for production and our latest spy pictures prove that the 2007 Dodge Nitro is headed for showrooms.

The pictures clearly show that little has changed on the Jeep Liberty-based Nitro from its concept. There's none of the extensive chrome trim that adorned the flashy concept, but it does look as though it will keep a fairly aggressive set of wheels and tires.

The Nitro's looks are also said to be derived in part from the quirky Dodge M80 pickup concept which appeared at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show. The M80 ended up bombing with consumer focus groups, who much preferred an SUV version of the vehicle, branded the M81. Hence, the Dodge Nitro, which, in terms of its face, actually looks a bit like the M80, if you can see beyond the latter's Herbie-esque rounded headlamps.

As mentioned earlier, the underpinnings of the Nitro come straight from a familiar source — the Jeep Liberty. The Nitro's wheelbase is 4 inches longer while the overall length is barely an inch longer. While it's expected to lack some of the Liberty's off-road capabilities, the Nitro will still be a genuine 4x4. Low-range gearing might be left off the spec sheet, but expect a fairly capable all-weather SUV.

The absence of a Jeep-style rear-mounted spare tire gives Dodge the opportunity to maximize the 2007 Nitro's cargo space, and the concept featured a rear storage area with a capacity of 32 cubic feet. No word yet on whether it will feature the handy sliding cargo shelf shown on the concept.

Look for the production Nitro to go on sale around this time next year. Edited by HarleyEarl

Sorry but I am not feeling it for this concept. I have a feeling that the Nox or even the 06 Vue will stomp this into the ground in most reviews.

They should leave this market to Jeep and do something else for Dodge; I think it looks too similar to the Patriot.

It's surprising that Dodge is going into Jeep's territory.

It seems to be a bit retro, looking like old Dodge Power Wagons from the past.

Is it me or it is ugly as hell :lol:

[post="11482"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not just you.

I like it. In your face, bold styling that will attract attention and sell. I believe this is designed more towards the sport crossover market while the Jeep Patriot is designed to appeal to the offroad crossover segment.

im with you sciguy i think its friggin sweet

I don't like pre-collided styling, i.e. cars that look like they already hit a wall.

I love the Nitro concept. It should be brought to market completely intact.

The Nitro. And, yes, I'm being serious. It has tough, masculine, domineering styling cues, yet its still a cutesy package. Some girls go nuts over vehicles like that.

Oh look, they decided to update the Dodge Raider.

[post="11660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This Dodge Raider:
Posted Image

or this one?:
Posted Image

:lol:
Had to do it!

Good comparo, the Vue and the Nitro!...lol...even the names are gender based. Would a guy drive a Vue named after a girls talk show?...or something explosive like Nitro?

Now, would a girl drive this Vue?....tough call.

Posted Image Edited by HarleyEarl

Harley, that's not a Vue... It's an Axiom.

[post="11680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What Axiom?...:)....thanks for the headsup...I mistakenly uploaded that one. I edited the posting.

Now, would a girl drive this Vue?....tough call.

Posted Image

[post="11675"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think anyone would, except maybe that little Sprite guy, Thirst! :lol:

Ya, some vehicles neither gender should be seen in lol.

Not bad..very different, which people like. Expect for the wheels, I have to say I like it...

Well, Dodge only had one SUV, the hideous Durango, so they definitely needed something smaller... its got the typical Dodge butch styling cues. I don't care for the looks, but it probably would do well. Though I'm a Jeep fan, I probably wouldn't go for a Liberty if I switched to a small SUV...more likely an Escape or wait for the Patriot...

I don't care for the looks, but it probably would do well.

[post="12843"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's me right there. So far, with the exception of the CTS, if I like the way the car looks, it's doomed. Some of my favorites:

Olds Aurora, Toronado, final gen 98, final gen Riv and Eldo
92-96 Fleetwood, Roadmaster

Some of my least favorite:

300c, Hummers, Explorer, Avalon