A wealth of Final 500 information

Final 500 Collector's Edition Page

I say 'wealth' because, let's face it, there's not much about these cars, especially the Bravada and Silhouette. For example, there were only 360 'Final 500' Silhouettes made as the capacity was needed for the other vans.

I hope to own one of these cars someday, even if it is a Silhouette. They mean something. Well, at least to me.

I find it hilarious that the Silhouette was offered in Final 500 form. It didn't die, they were still available over at Chevy and Pontiac. :wink:

The second-generation Aurora, on the other hand, remains one of the most competent, appealing, and high-quality GM vehicles (in my lifetime) to this day. If that's where Oldsmobile was headed, it's a damn shame they got the axe. It's unfortunate that it couldn't have soldiered on as a Buick. I'd take one over today's Buick Lucerne in a heartbeat.

I find it hilarious that the Silhouette was offered in Final 500 form.  It didn't die, they were still available over at Chevy and Pontiac.  :wink: 

Same could be said for the rest of the Oldsmobile Final 500:

Alero: Grand Am

Aurora: Lucerne

Bravada: Rainer

Comparing the Intrigue to a Grand Prix would be a

stretch I suppose, shortstar is dead anyway.

For the right price a Final 500 Silhouette could be a good investment.

Same could be said for the rest of the Oldsmobile Final 500:

Alero: Grand Am

Aurora: Lucerne

Bravada: Rainer

Comparing the Intrigue to a Grand Prix would be a

stretch I suppose, shortstar is dead anyway.

But Alero and Aurora had distinctive sheetmetal and Aurora had the 4.0 and 3.5 motors...that at least made Aurora unique

Edited by Delta Force79

Yes, the Aurora shared very little superficially both inside and out with any of its G-body sisters.

As a note, Oldsmobile the last of each model (d'uh) and the City of Oldsmar - which was founded by Ransom Olds back in the early 20th century as a future resort community - managed to buy one of the Final 500 Aleros. There was a time when certain members of the city council decided it wasn't financially worth it, but I suppose they were reminded what city they were in...Olds[/]mar. The town is a few miles away from me is why I mention it and they have a nice Olds rally every year.

The town is a few miles away from me is why I mention it and they have a nice Olds rally every year.

Super 88 Roadtrip!!!

[i wich I had the ga$] :(

Variance:

I agree, but then again consider it cost the General more

money to shut down Olds then it would have to just keep

the brand alive. NOTHING makes sense about how Olds

got euthanized. I've criticized the early 2000s Olds lineup

just like the next guy but I'd still rather have a lineup of

FWD Acura wannabe Oldsmobiles than NO Olds what so

ever.

As long as the brand was alive a ZETA, SIGMA & other

more traditional cars would have been inevidable. Hell if

you're going to have several FWD cars then at least

make a modern Toronado, FWD but with a longitudinaly

mounted pushrod V8 & true full size proportions inside

& out. I bet it would sell better than a Grand Am with

rib-cladding-delete & a relocated twin port grille.

------------------

~ Silvester AKA Chapman

Posted Image

1983 Plymouth Champ: FWD, clamshell hood, 4-banger & 8-speed

passanger seat: XP715, driver's seat: SpeedingPenguin

Edited by Sixty8panther

I bet it would sell better than a Grand Am with

rib-cladding-delete & a relocated twin port grille.

Well, much to your chagrin, the Alero was relatively popular among the younger set. So yeah.

Anyway, Variance, its made the best financial sense to simply 'run out' the intended model cycles on the cars as was the case with the Silhouette, Bravada, and Alero. As for the Intrigue and Aurora, yes their platform mates went to 2003 and 2005 (respectively) before being updated, the Aurora 4.0l and 3.5l Shortstar were exclusive to those two car lines, so they were limited by the engine production.

In fact, after the Intrigue died in 2002, all 2003 Auroras were only available with the V8.

My uncle has a 100th aniversry Silhouette I think its really a nice van. Plus whats worst is that in the future Kids will say Whats Oldsmobile? :(

I wish they were still around even if Buick and Olds overlapped a little in there intended market.

It only made sense that the Alero was the final car produced under the Olds nameplate. It was already in production since 1999 at the Lansing plant, the original home of Oldsmobile. Olds started with the compact size Curved Dash Olds and ended with the compact sized Alero.

I have one of the Final 500 Alero's, #448 and love it. I have been into 442's and Olds muscle cars since I was 14 and proudly enjoy driving this small and very quick car while in my mid 40's. I also have a 71 442 ragtop.

OLDS WILL LIVE ON !!!!!!!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly it is torn down. So sad. If you look at the topic title page under the heading Goodbye, you can find a pix of the plant back in 1985 that still has the Oldsmobile name on top of the building before it was changed to B.O.C.

Edited by Oldsnut

• 1 month later...

Even though they share so much, it always seemed that the Oldsmobile products had the slight differences in design that made them better then the other GM models. My aunt had a 86 Century that was junk but loved her 85 and 91 Cutlass Cieras and they all the 4 cylinder engines. I think part of that was that those who bought Olds took pride in the name more so than someone driving a Buick or Pontiac. Its kinda crazy but it just seems that way.

Hmmm...not sure how or why I missed this when this post was originally started way back in June (sorry Fly), but seeing it pop up again is rather interesting. The last few weeks at work, I seem to spot the Olds Intrigues that are parked in the same area that I park. And, I must say, I love that look.....

*shrugs*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I know I told you that I could survive" ... Deborah Allen ... 'Baby I Lied'