GM's Automatic Start Feature

Wouldn't the clutch have to automatically disengage in order for the car to start up?  That would require a bit of extra tooling for the manuals.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm just not sure how technologically advanced GM's set-up is...

You can put aftermarket remote starters in manual vehicles, so I don't see why the factory ones wouldn't. If I were you though, I would skip the factory remote start option and go for an aftermarket one. The aftermarket ones work from a much farther distance (I have one in my suburban and it works from about 2 blocks away as long as there aren't a TON of obstructions) plus you can get one that is 2-way, that way your car doesn't even have to be in site for you to know that it has started, becuase the remote lets you know. They really work slick, plus you have the option of adding a security system to most of them, with it all working through one remote.

Edited by scharmer05

No, you cannot get remote start on a manual-equipped GM vehicle. Also, I am leery of any aftermarket part or system that requires splicing into any factory wiring... but hey, it'll be your SS.

Is it offered on manual cars? I was thinking about it because I'd like to get an auto start on the Cobalt (I think I'll opt for an '07), but the SS SC Coupe I'd be looking at only comes in a 5 Speed Manual.

the answer is no... its only avalible on autos

As others have said, no, but speaking of 2007 Cobalts, we got one in today. It was a base model with hardly anything on it, but the black tie radio is definetly a nice upgrade.

Yes, the radio looks pretty good.

Let me ask you two things, though:

1. Is the steering wheel just like the G5's (but with a bowtie)?

2. When you get an SS SC coupe in, let me know if the "high polish" rims are differently designed than the '06 SS rims.

A manual would need to be automated for remote start to work - automatic clutch actuation. You may have to wait for the new Dual-clutch and planetary manuals, if and when they arrive, most likely in more expensive vehicles. As for push-button start, you'll see it in more and more vehicles as it's relatively cheap and simplifies things in many ways.

How come EVERY GM rental car I've had that is (supposedly) equipped with auto start (and has the button on the key fob) it never seems to work......?

Do they disconnect it on fleet cars for some reason?

Or do I just not know how to use it?

I thought you basically pushed the auto start button on the key fob...?

I assume its push n' hold for at least 10 or so seconds, which only makes sense. Ask Enterprise?

Speaking of remote start, a former classmate of mine has an older ES300 with aftermarket remote start. He still has to hit the button about three time for the car to crank over. Note to self - remote start does not substitute for a starter!

How come EVERY GM rental car I've had that is (supposedly) equipped with auto start (and has the button on the key fob) it never seems to work......?

Do they disconnect it on fleet cars for some reason?

Or do I just not know how to use it?

I thought you basically pushed the auto start button on the key fob...?

The directions are usually on the back of the key fob. I think you have to hit lock then start, or some combination like that.

aftermarket systems for manuals are set up to detect if the car is in neutral.  If it's not, they don't work.  Rigging up a standard aftermarket start system without the neutral detection can result in causing the car to drive off.

"Must be one of those American robot cars..."