Top Ten Least-Expensive Vehicles of 2024

With the average transaction of a new vehicle reaching $48,247, buying a new car is quite expensive. And while this price gets higher each year, automakers still make inexpensive vehicles. We compiled a list of 10 models that come in at under $22,000, less than half the average transaction price of a new car. Even though these are the least expensive model year 2024 new cars you can buy, most have a good set of standard features and all come with reversing cameras, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and USB ports as standard. These vehicles are ranked from most to least expensive. For two of them, this is your last chance to buy one new. The Mitsubishi Mirage and Nissan Versa are being discontinued after 2024.

All of the pictures included are of higher trims than the base model. Manufacturers tend not to provide photos of their most basic trims.

2024 Hyundai Elantra SE
Starting Base Price: $21,475

2024 Hyundai Elantra.jpg

The most expensive of the top 10 cheapest new 2024 cars the 2024 Hyundai Elantra sedan. Base level SE trim starts at $21.475. Elantra features a 2.0-liter inline-four engine producing 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. Standard front-wheel drive and a CVT accelerate the Elantra from 0-60 MPH in  8.1 seconds. The 2.0-liter engine returns 32 MPG city, 41 MPG highway, and 36 MPG combined. Alloy wheels are 15 inches with black accent pieces. Screens include a 4.2-inch gauge cluster and an eight-inch touchscreen. Safety features include forward collision avoidance, blind-spot warning, and lane-keep assist.

2024 Volkswagen Jetta S
Starting Base Price: $21,435

2022 Volkswagen Jetta.jpg

At a base price of $21,435, the 2024 Volkswagen S is the second most expensive on this list, but also the most powerful. It comes with a 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four producing 158 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. The base Jetta comes in front-wheel-drive with a standard six-speed manual transmission, the only manual available on this list. Combined, the Jetta hits 60 MPH in a scant 7.1 seconds. This engine returns 30 MPG city, 41 MPG highway, and 34 MPG combined. An integrated light bar in the front grille, black trim around the windows, and 16-inch allow wheels come with the S trim level. Jetta S features an eight-inch digital gauge cluster and a 6.5-inch touch screen. Blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, and lane assist are standard. 

2024 Nissan Kicks S
Starting Base Price: $21,050

2024 Nissan Kicks.jpg

The first of Nissan's three vehicles on this list is the 2024 Nissan Kicks S crossover, at $21,050. This vehicle comes with a 1.6-liter inline-four, producing 121 horsepower and 115 pound-feet. With front-wheel drive and a CVT, the Kicks get from 0-60 MPH in 9.7 seconds. This engine returns 33 MPG highway, 31 MPG city, and 33 MPG combined. The Kicks features a chrome grille, automatic headlights, and 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers. Both the digital gauge cluster and touch-screen infotainment systems are seven inches. Safety features include forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, blind spot monitoring, and lane departure warning. 

2024 Nissan Sentra S
Starting Base Price: $20,890

2023 Nissan Sentra.jpg

Nissan's second vehicle is the 2024 Sentra S, which starts at $20,890. The Sentra S comes with a two-liter inline-four engine producing 149 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque. Utilizing a front-wheel drive and a CVT, the Sentra S gets from 0-60 MPH in 9.2 seconds. Fuel economy figures are 37 MPG highway, 28 MPG city, and 32 MPG combined. Exterior features include halogen headlights, a black grille with chrome accents, and 16-inch steel wheels with full-wheel covers. A 4.2-inch TFT display is in between two analog dials along with a seven-inch touch-screen. Safety features include automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and rear automatic braking.  

2024 Chevrolet Trax LS
Starting Base Price: $20,400

2024 Chevrolet Trax.jpg

Chevrolet's 2024 Trax LS starts at $20,400. Powering the Trax is a turbocharged 1.2-litre three-cylinder producing 137 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque. With the only traditional automatic on this list, the Trax's front-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic results in a 0-60 MPH run of 8.8 seconds. Fuel mileage is 32 MPG highway, 28 MPG city, and 30 MPG combined. Standard exterior features include LED headlights, rear spoiler, and black body molding. The driver gets a 3.5-inch TFT display and an 8.0-inch infotainment system. Chevy's Safety Assistant comes with emergency braking, lane keep assist, and forward collision alert.

2024 Kia Soul LX
Starting Base Price: $20,190

2024 Kia Soul.jpg

Kia's boxy 2024 Soul LX hatchback is the first of two Kias on the list, priced at $20,190. This model has a 2.0-liter inline-four producing 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. With front-wheel drive and a CVT, the Soul gets to 60 MPH in 8.0 seconds. This engine will obtain 33 MPG highway, 27 MPG city, and 30 MPG combined. The Soul S comes with a black and silver grille, adaptive headlights, and 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers. There are fully digital dials along with an eight-inch infotainment system. Safety features include lane-departure warning, forward-collision warning, and driver-attention warning.

2024 Kia Forte LX
Starting Base Price: $19,990

2024 Kia Forte.jpg

The least expensive vehicle in Kia's lineup is the $19,990 Forte LX. Powering the front-wheel-drive Forte is the same 2.0-liter inline-four engine found in the Soul. It produces 147 horsepower and 132-pound feet and is mated to a CVT.  Zero to 60 MPH clocks in at 8.1 seconds. Fuel economy is 40 MPG highway, 30 MPG city, and 34 MPG combined. High beam assist, daytime running lights (DRL), and 15-inch steel wheels with wheel covers come standard. Between the instrument cluster is a 4.2-inch TFT display along with an 8.0-inch infotainment system. The Forte has the same safety features as the Soul with lane departure warning, forward collision warning, and driver attention warning. 

2024 Hyundai Venue SE
Starting Base Price: $19,800

2024 Hyundai Venue.jpg

Hyundai's second vehicle on the list is the 2024 Hyundai Venue SUV. Similar to the Elantra, the base trim level is the SE. Pricing starts at $19,800. The Venue comes with a 1.6-liter inline-four ending producing 121 horsepower and 113 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel-drive and CVT result in a 0-60 MPH in 8.5 seconds. The 1.6-liter engine returns 29 MPG city, 33 MPG highway, and 31 MPG combined. Exterior features include high beam assist (HBA), black grille, and 15-inch allow wheels. The interior comes with an eight-inch touchscreen and a 4.2-inch TFT gauge display. Lane Keeping Assist, Driver Attention Warning, and forward collision-avoidance assist are standard safety features

2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES Hatchback
Starting Base Price: $16,695

2023 Mitsubishi Mirage.jpg

The penultimate spot for least-expensive vehicles goes to the 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES hatchback. Mirage ES comes with a 1.2-liter inline-three engine producing 78 horsepower and 74 pound-feet of torque, the least powerful engine here. A CVT and front-wheel drive combine to take the Mirage ES from 0-60 MPH in 10.9 seconds. This small engine achieves fuel economy ratings of 41 MPG highway, 37 MPG city, and 39 MPG combined. Headlights use halogen lights, while the tail lights are LEDs. Mirage ES rides on 14-inch steel wheels with wheel covers. Interior features include steering wheel audio controls, automatic climate control, and cruise control. There are analog dials along with a 7.0-inch infotainment system. Front collision mitigation, Active Stability Control (ASC), and Hill Start Assist (HSA) are key safety features.

2024 Nissan Versa S Sedan
Starting Base Price: $16,290

2024 Nissan Versa.jpg

As of January 2024, the least-expensive vehicle is the 2024 Nissan Versa S sedan. Versa comes with a 1.5-liter inline-four producing 122 horsepower and 114 pound-feet of torque. Powering the front wheels with a five-speed manual, the Sentra S gets from 0-60 MPH in 9.5 seconds. Versa returns 40 MPG highway, 32 MPG city, and 35 MPG combined. The exterior features halogen lights, a V-Motion grille with chrome accents, and 15-inch steel wheels with wheel coverings. Along with the Sentra, the Versa S has a small TFT display between the analog dials and a seven-inch touch screen. Versa S also includes automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and rear automatic braking. 

Pricing:

• 2024 Hyundai Elantra SE - $21,475
  • 2024 Volkswagen Jetta S - $21,435
  • 2024 Nissan Kicks S - $21,050
  • 2024 Nissan Sentra S - $20,890
  • 2024 Chevrolet Trax LS - $20,400
  • 2024 Kia Soul LX - $20,190
  • 2024 Kia Forte LX - $19,990
  • 2024 Hyundai Venue SE - $19,800
  • 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES - $16,695
  • 2024 Nissan Versa S - $16,290

So, while the vehicle market is still trending towards large crossovers with $48,000-plus price tags, there are still at least ten options for people who want something more affordable, and you don't have to give up your favorite entertainment options and safety features to buy one.

View full article

• Like 1

I sort of forgot the Kicks was still around.  I think the Soul, Versa and Mirage are due to be discontinued in 2024.

Also if Tesla really does deliver on a sub $30,000 car that has a point of sale $7500 credit, I think a $22,500 Tesla will sell in ridiculous volume when you look at some of these cars are about that price.

• Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I sort of forgot the Kicks was still around.  I think the Soul, Versa and Mirage are due to be discontinued in 2024.

Also if Tesla really does deliver on a sub $30,000 car that has a point of sale $7500 credit, I think a $22,500 Tesla will sell in ridiculous volume when you look at some of these cars are about that price.

As long as your under 5'6" tall then people will fit in a Tesla. Worst design of an auto ever with piss poor interior space for a car or CUV.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I don't think the Soul is canceled yet, though its sales are way down and they've been cutting options. The other two are done at the end of this model year.

I doubt Tesla will ever be able to deliver on a sub-$30k car in any volume and I can't imagine what kinda hot garbage the interior will be.  It's moot anyway because it's still years away.

22 minutes ago, David said:

As long as your under 5'6" tall then people will fit in a Tesla. Worst design of an auto ever with piss poor interior space for a car or CUV.

Sorry bud, I hated plenty about the Model-3 interior, but the room was not one of those things. I'm 5'10" and I felt it was cavernous.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I  think the Soul dies after this generation and the K5 is dead too, that one didn't last long.   And the Nissan Versa and Altima die after 2025 model year as do the Ford Escape and Edge.    Because all buyers want $50,000,  3 row crossovers according to car manufacturer market research.

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I  think the Soul dies after this generation and the K5 is dead too, that one didn't last long.   And the Nissan Versa and Altima die after 2025 model year as do the Ford Escape and Edge.    Because all buyers want $50,000,  3 row crossovers according to car manufacturer market research.

Ford killing the Escape is a dumb move, but they're doing it because they think they can move those drivers to the Bronco sport, which is less car for more money because it's "cute".  The Edge is just the last vestige of that platform.  I do think it will come back as the Nautilus clone. It's the same platform as the current Escape and the R&D is already done.

K5 was just a rename of Optima. That said, I am 190% sure that it will have a direct EV replacement based on the Ioniq 6. Hyundai will try to move Sonata buyers to Ioniq 6 also.

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:23 PM, David said:

Plenty of good options for a first car for people.

Thankfully so.

However, the only one I find interesting is the VW Jetta.

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Thankfully so.

However, the only one I find interesting is the VW Jetta.

Same. I find the Trax kind of pointless since I can't buy it in AWD, and for my area I really need it.  If I'm going to buy a hatchback, I'll buy a hatchback, not a wannabe crossover. The saving grace for the Trax on this list is that is one of only two that doesn't have a CVT.

The Jetta will be the comfort king here. They're the most spacious of the bunch, ride really well, have a pleasant powertrain, and I wouldn't even mind rowing my own gears for once.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Jetta will be the comfort king here. They're the most spacious of the bunch, ride really well, have a pleasant powertrain, and I wouldn't even mind rowing my own gears for once.

Yes, it does ride well, per a one week rental, and looks deceivingly more uptown for that price point.  I'm on board with the 8 speed automatic.

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ford killing the Escape is a dumb move, but they're doing it because they think they can move those drivers to the Bronco sport, which is less car for more money because it's "cute".  The Edge is just the last vestige of that platform.  I do think it will come back as the Nautilus clone. It's the same platform as the current Escape and the R&D is already done.

K5 was just a rename of Optima. That said, I am 190% sure that it will have a direct EV replacement based on the Ioniq 6. Hyundai will try to move Sonata buyers to Ioniq 6 also.

The problem with that is the Ioniq 6 is $15,000 more expensive than a Sonata.  Much like the EV6 is $15-20,000 more than the Sportage of the same size.   If their plan is to replace all the ICE cars with $40,000+ EV's, good luck with that.  

And I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bronco Sport gets stale and Ford kills it like Jeep killed the Renegade and Cherokee.  They are probably scheming In Dearborn on how to make the Ranger the entry level Ford at a $39,995 starting price.  

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Same. I find the Trax kind of pointless since I can't buy it in AWD, and for my area I really need it.  If I'm going to buy a hatchback, I'll buy a hatchback, not a wannabe crossover. The saving grace for the Trax on this list is that is one of only two that doesn't have a CVT.

AWD is over rated, what you or other people need are snow tires.  But we hardly get snow here anyway.  Agree though on the Trax is just a slightly lifted hatchback, it may become the new Cruze that gets the reputation for just being cheap junk.  Probably a Civic or Mazda 3 hatchback is a better play at that price point.

• Disagree 2

13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

AWD is overrated, what you or other people need are snow tires.  

AWD with proper snow tires is far superior to a 4x4 or 4x4 with snow tires and especially FWD or RWD with snow tires.

2 minutes ago, David said:

AWD with proper snow tires is far superior to a 4x4 or 4x4 with snow tires and especially FWD or RWD with snow tires.

But most AWD "SUVs" are operating 90-95% FWD and sending maybe 10% of torque to the rear wheels, a lot can't even send more than 50% power to the rear.  That AWD Kia Seltos is probably not any better in snow than a FWD Malibu with snow tires.   Different story if the AWD system can send 100% power front or rear and has diff lockers and things of that nature.  

But it is still 4 wheel drive, not 4 wheel stop, and it seems like when it snows, it is the pick up trucks you see sliding off the road more than cars do.

• Disagree 3

46 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But most AWD "SUVs" are operating 90-95% FWD and sending maybe 10% of torque to the rear wheels, a lot can't even send more than 50% power to the rear.  That AWD Kia Seltos is probably not any better in snow than a FWD Malibu with snow tires.   Different story if the AWD system can send 100% power front or rear and has diff lockers and things of that nature.  

But it is still 4 wheel drive, not 4 wheel stop, and it seems like when it snows, it is the pick up trucks you see sliding off the road more than cars do.

Depending on how much you pay you get better or worse AWD based on features. You also just picked an entry level model in the Seltos. If you look at the bulk of AWD in SUVs where people are paying about 40 to 60K for one, they have the ability now due to software to send torque and HP where needed among all the wheels.

Yes, I can afford an Escalade, AWD system that is far superior to what you find in the Seltos. 

Your AWD is overrated comment is wrong as you brush a wide stroke with that comment. One could say that all insurance companies suck and are all the same as they only want to make money for their CEO and screw us.

All RWD auto's suck in the snow

All FWD auto's suck in the Snow

We can go down the path of broad stroke of the brush in statements like that. 

It would be better to say that based on the class of auto, some AWD autos without snow tires are no better than a RWD or FWD with Snow tires.

We could for sake of this argument just say that if you cannot afford any decent mid to full size upper level auto, if it rains outside and especially snows you should just stay home as you will be a problem on the roads.

One cannot just make these broad stokes and think it is OK.

How would you like it if due to the experience of one bad insurance adjuster at your work, all adjusters are trash and your company should be avoided like the plague.

AWD is over rated, what you or other people need are snow tires.  But we hardly get snow here anyway.  Agree though on the Trax is just a slightly lifted hatchback, it may become the new Cruze that gets the reputation for just being cheap junk.  Probably a Civic or Mazda 3 hatchback is a better play at that price point.

Both my Avalanche and my 300C have snow tires.  My driveway is steep and my neighborhood is in a microclimate. I'll have snow/ice when the Waterfront, just 5 miles away, has rain.  I'm also a skier, so if/when we ever do get snow, I'm out in the mountains.

56 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But most AWD "SUVs" are operating 90-95% FWD and sending maybe 10% of torque to the rear wheels, a lot can't even send more than 50% power to the rear.  That AWD Kia Seltos is probably not any better in snow than a FWD Malibu with snow tires.   Different story if the AWD system can send 100% power front or rear and has diff lockers and things of that nature.  .

That stopped being true for most front-wheel drive based AWD vehicles 10 years ago. Most AWD systems now are dual-clutch or some variation on haldex.  Even my Encore could send 50% of the torque to the back and did so at every launch, it didn't wait for slip.  The 200C and the Envision are two more that I know of that have this.

The problem with that is the Ioniq 6 is $15,000 more expensive than a Sonata.  Much like the EV6 is $15-20,000 more than the Sportage of the same size.   If their plan is to replace all the ICE cars with $40,000+ EV's, good luck with that.  

And I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bronco Sport gets stale and Ford kills it like Jeep killed the Renegade and Cherokee.  They are probably scheming In Dearborn on how to make the Ranger the entry level Ford at a $39,995 starting price.  

The Ioniq 6 is also larger inside than a Sonata despite being smaller outside. They could probably make a smaller version of it (if they hadn't already screwed up the naming scheme... maybe Ioniq 5 sedan) and sell it closer to the Sonata's price point.  But Hyundai doesn't want to keep making those $249 a month lease deal models anymore anyway.

Jeep killed the Renegade and Cherokee because they are trying to force Jeep up market and because Jeep has failed in China.  Part of the economies of scale for Jeep included China sales, and for the first few years of the Renegade it was selling well there.... until it wasn't.  The other problem is that the platforms the Renegade and Cherokee are on are being phased out without Fiat support. Compass is next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Jeep killed the Renegade and Cherokee because they are trying to force Jeep up market and because Jeep has failed in China.  Part of the economies of scale for Jeep included China sales, and for the first few years of the Renegade it was selling well there.... until it wasn't.  The other problem is that the platforms the Renegade and Cherokee are on are being phased out without Fiat support. Compass is next.

The upmarket Jeeps aren't selling either.  The Dodge Hornet and Alfa Romeo Tonale are on the Compass platform, which neither of them are selling, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep those around for another 8-10 years.  

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The upmarket Jeeps aren't selling either.  The Dodge Hornet and Alfa Romeo Tonale are on the Compass platform, which neither of them are selling, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep those around for another 8-10 years.  

Yeah, just skip over the other three Jeeps (notice he said not squat about Dodge and Alfa) that have successfully moved up market, thus proving Drews point. FFS.

@smk4565 Want to explain this while you claim Jeeps are not selling?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fca-reports-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2023-sales-results-302025792.html

This part:

Jeep brand saw fourth-quarter U.S. sales in 2023 increase 7% versus the same period last year. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe and the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe are the two top-selling plug-in hybrids in the country.

• Jeep Wrangler 4xe, the first-ever electrified Jeep Wrangler, remains America's best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, with 67,429 (43%) of total Jeep Wrangler U.S. sales in 2023
  • Jeep Wrangler 4xe U.S. sales increased 56% year over year, and 76% during the fourth quarter versus the same period last year
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe accounted for 45,684 (19%) of Grand Cherokee total U.S. sales in 2023. The Grand Cherokee remains the No. 2 best-selling plug-in hybrid in the U.S.
  • Grand Cherokee 4xe U.S. sales increased 636% year over year, and 216% during the fourth quarter versus the same period last year
  • Total Grand Cherokee U.S. sales increased 10% year over year and was up 22% in the fourth quarter versus the same period last year  
  • Jeep Compass U.S. sales increased 12% year over year and was up 28% in fourth quarter versus the same period last year
  • Jeep Renegade U.S. sales increased 177% during the fourth quarter versus the same period last year
  • The brand's fully electric Jeep Recon will debut in 2024

The Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer continue to gain sales momentum.   

• Wagoneer fourth-quarter U.S. sales in 2023 increased 39% versus the same period last year
  • Grand Wagoneer fourth quarter U.S. sales in 2023 increased 9% versus the same period last year
  • The fully-electric Wagoneer S will debut this year alongside the Jeep Recon. The vehicles represent the brand's start to its electrification strategy to provide new levels of efficiency, environmental responsibility, performance and capability, on and off the road

On 2/5/2024 at 3:54 PM, smk4565 said:

At the rate Tesla is ignoring their customers when their products new catch fire and they say file an insurance claim as we are not being responsible to cover it under warranty, then Tesla days are numbered.
Tesla ‘caught fire' while idling at home - and Musk's company has yet to explain why (msn.com)

This is proof that Tesla is loosing customers due to the way Musk has ignored customer service and quality.

image.png

image.png

I can see other Auto makers besides BYD surpassing Tesla this year or next.

Charted: Tesla's Global Sales By Model and Year (2016–2023) (visualcapitalist.com)

OUCH, I just read this: Tesla warning that 2024 growth rates in vehicle deliveries would be "notably lower" than 2023 levels and Wall Street analysts trimming their revenue forecasts, job cuts are likely inevitable. 

Elon Musk mimics Big Tech as Tesla delivers harsh warning to workers (msn.com)

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings