Buick Enspire Concept Makes Its Debut in China

That's a Buick. No, seriously it is.

Describing a Buick as being bold seems somewhat strange, but the Enspire concept that debuted today in China is just that. Describing a Buick as being bold seems somewhat strange, but the Enspire concept that debuted today in China is just that.

The overall shape is very different from Buick's current crossover lineup with a pronounced front end, deep cuts in the bumper, cameras mounted where the side-view mirrors would be, flared-out rear fenders, and a sharply raked rear end. The only interior shot provided by Buick is of the front. It looks very futuristic with the dash wrapped in microfiber suede and wood trim, OLED display, and a heads-up display featuring augmented reality technology.

Power comes from Buick's eMotion electric powertrain producing 410 kW (about 550 horsepower). 0-60 mph is said to take about 4 seconds. On a single charge, Buick claims the Enspire can travel up to 370 miles. The concept supports both fast and wireless charging - the former providing an 80 percent charge within 40 minutes.

Buick will be showing off the Enspire concept at Auto China 2018 in Beijing later this month.

Source: Buick

Enspire All-Electric Concept SUV Debuts in China

• Sculptural beauty meets advanced battery electric technology in Chinese concept SUV

WUZHEN, China — The Buick Enspire all-electric concept SUV, an exploration of Buick’s bold design ideas and innovative technologies for future mobility, made its global debut in China. Key features include:

Experience Features:

• Exterior feature lines and advanced aerodynamics accentuate the exterior’s strong, sculptural look.
    • A “surround skyline” interior theme and suspended theater-type seating give the Enspire a bright and spacious interior.
    • The center console and armrests are made from natural wood grain and microfiber suede.
    • Cutting-edge technologies include an OLED display screen and an intelligent augmented reality technology-based head-up display system.
    • 5G super high-speed network concept.

Performance Features:

• Buick’s eMotion electric propulsion technology generates a maximum power of 410 kW, enabling the concept to sprint from 0-60 mph in 4 seconds.
    • The Enspire is able to travel up to 370 miles on a single charge.
    • Supports both fast and wireless charging — the battery can be charged to 80 percent of capacity within 40 minutes.

The Enspire all-electric concept SUV will be on display at Auto China 2018 in Beijing from April 25 to May 4.

:metal: Love this concept, This is futuristic and hot!  :metal:

If this is the EV concept they said they would reveal based on the Bolt, then the battery pack range is in line with the LG announcements of denser batteries that could go into the bolt. It would also seem a more powerful motor.

This is very exciting. I really like the body style. Talk about a very fresh clean break from the past with this concept.

This also makes me think of where Cadillac will be going with their interior refresh auto's to come.

I know that some members will bash it due to being an EV or for the black plastic over the wheel wells and other places, but this is top notch when you compare to other EV Concepts shown so far by German or Asian companies.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

How much of the concept will make it to production of an actual vehicle we can buy or lease?  That is my only Q.

Japan is the only country globally that has approved cameras for side mirrors that would just show everything on a large LCD screen inside. So real Mirrors will be there, otherwise I can see just about everything else making it.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I see it looking VERY different come production.

That interior will be 99% different.

I don't see them using a blue grille and the rear doors don't look like you could fit a regular shoe in there pointed forward it's so narrow.

Wow- that's a full second quicker to 60 and a whopping 120 mile longer range than the merecedes EQA concept!

It is, and when does this Buick go on sale?  And it isn't like Mercedes is offering one level of electric horsepower, there will be AMG electric cars.

Does M-B actually have any electric cars on sale right now?  It's just a lot of talk and concepts at this point...

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Not now, but in 2019 they will.  And it is a conventional looking crossover which is what buyers want, and I think arriving at the right time.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Probably on sale around the same date if not sooner than the AMG EV.

This is being built on the BOLT Powertrain / platform. China Auto show I suspect will show many near production ready versions of EV for the China market first and then Globally.

Bolt already can be built with a more powerful motor and LG has the battery pack that would support the miles stated here already.

Interesting times we live in as we move into a more EV market.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I find it interesting how boring this thing is.  Does zero for me.

Your exploding orgasmically inside but just not willing to show anyone. I know the truth! ;)

Probably on sale around the same date if not sooner than the AMG EV.

Interesting times we live in as we move into a more EV market.

No but I did throw up a little bit in my mouth.  :smilewide:

18 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I see it looking VERY different come production.

That interior will be 99% different.

@balthazar @Cubical-aka-Moltar @oldshurst442

Check out this full video on the Enspire, the doors are Suicide doors and the interior is really cool. Love the grill and Love it in White. Clearly very cool CUVs. Way more details on this Chinese Video on the CUV EV Concepts.

This Video has me even more Jazzed about the EV CUV.

I also would like to request the lady to come with my Enspire! :P

• Agree 1

Don't get too excited about it.. None of that will make it to production.. The powertrain will and that seems about it.

If Lincoln can make the current continental have Suicide doors, I see no reason that Buick cannot do it.

@balthazar @Cubical-aka-Moltar @oldshurst442

This Video has me even more Jazzed about the EV CUV.

I also would like to request the lady to come with my Enspire! :P

Cool concepts and visions with this electric vehicle. I do have a warm and fuzzy feeling for the future if its depicted this way. I also fear the future for those very same ideas that were presented to us. I  cannot wait for those  concepts to be reality, at the same time I wish we were still in the 1950s-1980s. Before all this electronic and internet explosion that we are experiencing and about to delve further into a virtual reality world... The infinite amount possibilites that we are about to enter with our lives regarding our electronic devices, our cars, our homes...its overwhelming. Its scary.

Visions of Terminator, Avatar, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Back to the Future 2, has just flooded my brain. Some scary thoughts, but some awesome ones too!

Did I just say that I wish we were still in the 1950s-1980s?

Nix that!

The future, if we dont phoque it up with greed and war and everything bad humans are capable of, the future looks OK to me!

One thing though. Other than the awesome blue electric colour vibe from the grill to the interior lighting, the silhouette of this thing looks like its of a Mazda CUV design language...not  a very Buicky look to this CUV.

PS: That lady's milkshake sure would be able to attract all the boys to the yard!

Edited by oldshurst442