Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
February 3, 2012
Motor Trend is reporting that a coupe version of the new Cadillac ATS has been put on hold. The reason lies in GM’s stock price dropping like a rock; 30% drop since from its November 2010 initial public offering price. GM hopes by delaying or cancelling projects to save money, that will raise their stock price up.
This is where we begin to enter the twilight zone of ATS rumors. For the past year, we’ve been hearing different models of the ATS moving around from going into development, put on the shelf, or being cancelled. Last year, rumors had said the ATS would come in Sedan, Wagon, Coupe, and Convertible form. So far, rumors have said the wagon is dead, the coupe is on hold, and the Convertible was dead before being resurrected. In other words, we have no idea what is coming.
When asked for comment by Autoblog, Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell gave the usual we don’t talk about future product line. But Caldwell did say “there has been no recent radical shift in strategy" for the ATS.
"We do plan to do variants. We haven't yet called our shot of how we're going to execute that." Caldwell said.
So what does that mean? Well, there will be more variations of the ATS besides the sedan. As to what, its still up in the air.