Sergio Marchionne: You Get a Crossover and You Get A Crossover

Marchionne answers a number of questions on the future of FCA

For the past few years, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne holds a conference with journalists and analysts at the Detroit Auto Show, taking various questions. According to Motor Trend, Marchionne revealed that more crossovers are on the way for Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, and Ferrari.

Alfa's Three-Row Crossover: Sergio Marchionne confirmed that Alfa Romeo is working on a larger SUV to sit above the Stelvio. He says this model is very important for the brand. As we reported towards the end of December, the model would use a stretched version of the Stelvio's platform and possibly feature a mild-hybrid powertrain.

Chrysler's Pacifica-based crossover: It seems the platform that underpins the Pacifica will be used for a long-promised crossover. The model was in the previous five-year plan for FCA, but was pushed back. The model will be in the next five-year plan (expected to be shown sometime later this year) and could go into production within the next 18 months.

Ferrari SUV: Progress on Ferrari's upcoming SUV is moving quite quickly as Marchionne said it would be ready by the end of 2019 or early 2020. At the moment, the Italian automaker has mock-up bodies of the SUV, but nothing driveable.

“I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.

Other bits from Marchionne:

• When asked about a performance electric vehicle, Marchionne said, “Ferrari has looked at this forever, and if there is an electric supercar to be built, Ferrari will do it,”
    • FCA hasn't "found an economic way to get this done” when asked if there was the chance of a midsize Ram pickup.
    • Wrangler Pickup is expected to debut towards the end of 2019
    • Marchionne is planning to retire as FCA CEO next year
    • The most pressing question asked during the session? Where does he buy his sweaters? Answer: Online.

Source: Motor Trend

Edited by William Maley

To boost sales every car should come with a free Sweater from Sergio’s Sweater Shack, offering the finest Italian made sweaters that are made in Italy.

But if he is buying them online, then that means ultra Cheap, so probably China if not Malaysia made! Cheap shit, not Italian Shit.

In regards to the Story, Midsize Pickup they cannot find an economical way? BS, they are building a Jeep version, they sure as hell could rebadge it for RAM.  Another Idiotic Sergio mismanagement.

Ferrari has already lost the supercar race, Tesla beat ya too it with Roadster 2.0

FCA - Lead by the Ultimate Lemming Moron around!

Sad, too bad, next year cannot come soon enough for his retirement! <_<

I would skip a midsize pick up and do a small pickup of which there are none on market.  And couldn’t the Promaster city or some Fiat platform work for a pick up?  Or use the Pacifica platform for a pick up like Honda does with Ridgeline.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

"I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.

I feel like it is impossible for any SUV to drive like a REAL FERRARI.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

Different body panels on the Wrangler pickup..?

I think they'd be best lined up to do that for that reason. They already have a mid size in their portfolio(on its way) so to butcher up a little van shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't really think there is space for even 2 tiny trucks though. If anybody comes out with one, I can't see enough market left for a second one.

Different body panels on the Wrangler pickup..?

Well, they would need to tool up a new cab, interior, bed, trim, etc..and being a Ram they could sell it cheaper than the Wrangler, wouldn't need the removable roof, etc.   Maybe they worry a Ram midsize pickup would cannibalize sales from the Wrangler pickup.

I don't know if it would be profitable to federalize the Ram 700--a mini-pickup based on an old Fiat car--that they have in Mexico now.saw a few in Arizona.    1500lb payload capacity.  It would be a unique entry in the market.

dodge-ram-700-slt-adventure-2017-D_NQ_NP_806887-MLM26441680195_112017-F.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I like the idea of the mini promaster being used as a FWD mini pickup like they have in Europe. Inner city folks I think would buy it.

The Fiat Doblo Work Up pickup is pretty badass...front like the Pro Master City?

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe948812eb10203a4659f0d56cfa205ff31.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

cant they take the Jeep truck platform and bring back a Dakota?

oops...read proto, read before posting....thats been covered

:huh:

Edited by prototype66

54 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

dodge-ram-700-slt-adventure-2017-D_NQ_NP_806887-MLM26441680195_112017-F.jpg

reminds me of the Tornado Chevy has down south of the border also

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

1500lb payload capacity.

That's full on mid-size territory.

Canyon: 1500-1620lbs

Colorado: 1492-1574lbs

Tacoma: 1100-1620lbs

Ridgeline: 1447-1584lbs

Frontier:  880-1500lbs

I thought Fiat had a pickup, good work on uncovering it.  The Fiat Fullback:

480_titaniumGrey_Cabina_Doppia.png

So they already make one, I don't see how Sergio can claim they can't find resources to do it.

The Fullback is a rebadge of a Mitsubishi, which could work as a Ram, since in the 80s a Mitsubishi pickup was badged as the Ram 50...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Fullback is a rebadge of a Mitsubishi, which would make since as a Ram, since a long time ago a Mitsubishi pickup was badged as the Ram 50...

One big circle if they did that again. :P

One big circle if they did that again. :P

Ya.  And maybe they can partner with Mistu to get a compact and midsize sedan to replace the Dart and 200...

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Except that didn't work then, when pickups were far far far simpler.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Except that didn't work then, when pickups were far far far simpler.

Yes, but it is a path to a compact pickup they could explore.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

dodge-ram-700-slt-adventure-2017-D_NQ_NP_806887-MLM26441680195_112017-F.jpg

Priced right (below all the other mid size trucks), I could see that becoming a hit here. Young and college kids would eat this up, like in the days of the ranger and s10. The key here is going to be price.....

'Becoming a hit'? It's the Subaru Baja all over again : dreadfully over wrought and covered in blistered cladding, with no actual usable cargo space. Baja lasted barely 4 years- this is the same exact formula.

Edited by balthazar

I am on board with a true mini pickup returning to the USA.  A FWD/AWD based one might be the only way to go.  A preponderance of cladding is not cool though, currently.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:28 PM, daves87rs said:

The key here is going to be price.....

Very much so! I think that's why small trucks went away in the first place. They were just too close to half tons while being so much smaller it was just a no-brainer to get the bigger truck for not much more money.

Looking at Silverado and Colorado pricing, Outside of base 2WD and work truck trims, they're roughly 8k apart when both are 4WD, extended cab(double cab but not crew cab for the Silverado), and the lowest trim that isn't "work truck" and that you'll see on lots. Both in LT trim with no added options.

I'd think for something substantially smaller than a Colorado or Tacoma you'd need another 5k difference for a mini truck again. At least in my opinion.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:41 PM, balthazar said:

I agree. Something smaller would need to be a real truck still otherwise they'd fall into the same spot as the Baja.

I also think we need to stop thinking a truck has to have everything your SUV / Car has. A mini pickup truck that can hold 3 people if in bench or two people with buckets can work for an alternative auto that can haul.

The death of the Mini was also due to someone wanting a SUV/CUV 4 door people hauler with a bed that can handle a 1000 lb payload.

Still think a basic Kingcab mini pickup would work for many people.

And I think we've come full circle on why there aren't mini trucks. A small CUV can already do what the tiny truck could do.

A 1.5T Escape can tow 2000lbs.

A 2.0T Escape can tow 3500lbs.

Most of the competition is in the same range. I think the Cherokee stands out with a 4000lb capability.

Unless you're using it for dirt or mulch or something a CUV has about as much open hatch space with the seats down as you would in a truck that small.

Unless you're using it for dirt or mulch .

That hits the nail on the head, inner city people wanting to get stuff like that for their tiny yard.

Otherwise I agree, that many of the compact hatches / CUVs can cover what they want.

How tiny is that market though? That somebody inner city is buying dirt/gravel/sand by the truck load and not just individual bags that would utilize a tiny truck over a CUV more often? We have shrunk the market down to a niche of a niche of a niche and that's why they aren't around. They're too specific and likely not cost effective. They'd have to be significantly cheaper than a comparable CUV and I just don't know if that's feasible.

A CUV is not a pickup truck by a long shot.  Tall or long objects won't fit in a CUV.  A pickup truck with 6' bed can handle 8' or 10' lumber.  It can handle a refrigerator or a warsh machine, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, for some things you just need a truck or van.  For moving boxes from my garage to my storage unit, I rented a van for a few hours from UHaul--do it in one trip rather than multiple trips with my Jeep.   For hauling tools, soil, trees, etc for yard work, my landscaper and my yard guy have pickups w/ trailers.

Different tools for different tasks.

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

We're talking TINY trucks. Old Ranger and S10 size. MOST of the thing can fit in the hatch area of an SUV. I'd bet it's even difficult to fit a refrigerator or washing machine between the wheels of one of those trucks anyway.

If CUVs would go back to the rear glass opening up the problem would be solved. My dad used his Envoy to haul lumber because the rear glass would open up.

But the need for such a small truck, when a mid-size is available for those who genuinely plan to use it as a truck for above things, is so damn small it likely isn't worth building.

And you can still attach a trailer to a CUV and you're not hauling 2000lbs of lumber.

I think a lot of sales of the old Ranger was not because it was a small truck, but because it was so cheap compared to anything else.

We're talking TINY trucks. Old Ranger and S10 size.  I'd bet it's even difficult to fit a refrigerator or washing machine between the wheels of one of those trucks anyway.

Actually, I had hauled refrigs, washer and dryers and ranges in my Chevy Luv Truck when I had it. Plenty of room for sheetrock or plywood though it sat on top of the wheel wells.  Better to have mini trucks for small jobs than to do stupid stuff like I see all the time with cars.

image.png

See the source image

Still think there is a market for mini trucks especially in the city.

If we did not have all the stupid safety stuff, I am sure they could be built cheap like they were.

My 1976 Chevy Luv Series 5 truck was bought new by my dad for $1567 dollars. I got it when I turned 16, restored it like new and then when I went to college in Japan, sold it for $3000 in 1987. I really wish I still had it, talk about an awesome roomy truck that just lasted.

"... Now, before you think this is a matchbox truck, get this: the truck is capable of hauling up to 1,671 lbs. in its bed. That’s about 144 lbs. less than a regular cab Chevrolet Silverado equipped with the 4.8-liter Vortec V8.

The Montana has a base price of $18,720 and can get to as high as $25,770 for a fully loaded top-of-the-line edition. If this pickup peaks your interest, you might want to heed the advice given by Jamie Ardilla, President of GM South America, back in July: “The Montana is also exported to Mexico, and the new version will be exported to Argentina and South Africa. If you are interested in the U.S. market, by all means place your order.”

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/10/chevrolet-montana-debuts-in-south-america/#ixzz551U100cB"

Chevy Colorado starts at $20,200.

Inflation.PNG

Chevy Colorado starts at $20,200.

Inflation.PNG

Great info, nice job. I get the point of cost, but size is the issue that I think a Mini Pickup does over mid or full size for inner city neighborhood ownership where parking is a premium. I just think a Mini size has it's place.

I agree but I just don't see it financially making sense. I think maybe a real single cab short bed configuration of the mid sizers might be a better solution for the manufacturers. It will keep it small, capable, and they won't be trying to add a whole new vehicle for certifications and shipping and all that jazz of something completely different which may make it financially viable.

9 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That's what Ford thought when they publicly tried to steer Ranger customers toward the Fiesta.  Dismal failure in judgment.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

More true words were never spoken.

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

lol Because that makes sense..

Just my opinion, but that Montana is hideous.

Yup, I agree it is not the prettiest truck out there, but the aerodynamics are there for an EV powertrain or a very efficient small engine as an inner city truck.

0-60 is 12 seconds, the Brazilian version has 97 HP. I'm not really sure it can get up to speeds that .cd shows any benefits. ;)
    But that's besides the point- it can look 50 different ways and still generate the same .cd.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

When it came out it was priced(with inflation) above today's Colorado's base price.. There's no market for something like that.

Future small cars from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will not be using an updated version of their small car platform. Instead, they'll be underpinned by PSA Group's Common Modular Platform (CMP).
      Automotive News obtained a letter sent by FCA to suppliers in July stating "to immediately stop any research, development and tooling construction activities on future B-segment (small/subcompact) cars." These include the Fiat 500 and Jeep Renegade to give some context. The letter goes on to say it is moving to CMP and that vehicles based on this will be built at the company's Tychy, Poland plant - home to 500 and Lancia Yplilon production.
      FCA had already put a stop, albeit a temporary one on developing parts for the five new small cars that were destined to use this platform due to COVID-19. There will be one model that will move forward on this orphaned platform - the upcoming 500 electric for Europe.
      As for CMP, this underpins the Peugeot 208 and 2008; Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, Mokka; and the DS3 Crossback. It allows for both combustion and electric powertrains.
      Moving to CMP is another step towards FCA and PSA Group's merger to become Stellantis. It is unclear whether or not the U.S. will see any of the new models that will use CMP from FCA's brands.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      We'll excuse you if you forgot that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Group have been working towards finalizing their merger considering the state of the world at the moment. But the two are making serious headway as they have announced the new name of the multi-national corporation that will form once the two merge. Meet Stellantis.
      Don't worry, you're not the only who is thinking "What" or thinking of some clever joke to make fun of this name. We'll let the two explain what this name means?
      Yeah, if this doesn't like something from a branding agency, we don't what does.
      We should note here that Stellantis will only be used at a corporate level, not as a individual brand for vehicles.
      Source: FCA
      Press Release is on Page 2

STELLANTIS: The Name of the New Group Resulting From the Merger of FCA and Groupe PSA
      July 15, 2020 , Vélizy-Villacoublay, France and London - In a major step as they move toward the completion of their 50:50 merger as defined in the Combination Agreement announced on December 18, 2019, Peugeot S.A. ("Groupe PSA") and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. ("FCA") (NYSE: FCAU / MTA: FCA) today announce that the corporate name of the new group will be STELLANTIS.
      STELLANTIS is rooted in the Latin verb “stello” meaning “to brighten with stars.” It draws inspiration from this new and ambitious alignment of storied automotive brands and strong company cultures that in coming together are creating one of the new leaders in the next era of mobility while at the same time preserving all the exceptional value and the values of its constituent parts. STELLANTIS will combine the scale of a truly global business with an exceptional breadth and depth of talent, knowhow and resource capable of providing the sustainable mobility solutions for the coming decades. The name’s Latin origins pay tribute to the rich history of its founding companies while the evocation of astronomy captures the true spirit of optimism, energy and renewal driving this industry-changing merger.
      The process of identifying the new name began soon after the Combination Agreement was announced and the senior management of both companies have been closely involved throughout, supported by Publicis Group.
      The STELLANTIS name will be used exclusively at the Group level, as a Corporate brand. The next step in the process will be the unveiling of a logo that with the name will become the corporate brand identity. The names and the logos of the STELLANTIS Group’s constituent brands will remain unchanged.
      As previously stated, completion of the merger project is expected to occur in the first quarter of 2021, subject to customary closing conditions, including approval by both companies’ shareholders at their respective Extraordinary General Meetings and the satisfaction of antitrust and other regulatory requirements.

Source: FCA
      Press Release is on Page 2

Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment.
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced.
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: