Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    2019 Ford Ranger Looks To Outperform Competitors In Terms of Power

      Beating six-cylinders with a turbo-four


    Ford's slow drip of Ranger information continues as the blue oval announced some key details of the 2.3L EcoBoost four-cylinder.

    The 2.3L engine isn't as potent as the ones found in the Mustang and Focus RS, but it does provide a healthy 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. It does trail the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon and Toyota Tacoma's V6 engines in horsepower, but outperforms all in terms of torque.

    • Ford Ranger: 2.3L Turbo-Four - 270 hp, 310 lb-ft
    • Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon: 3.6L V6 - 308 hp, 275 lb-ft
    • Toyota Tacoma: 3.5L V6 - 278 hp, 265 lb-ft
    • Nissan Frontier: 4.0L V6 - 261 hp, 281 lb-ft

    Ford can also claim best-in-class when it comes to max payload and towing with the Ranger when compared to other V6 competitors.

    • Ford Ranger:  1,860 lbs (Payload), 7,500 lbs (Towing)
    • Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon: 1,556 lbs(Colorado), 1,650 lbs (Canyon) (Payload), 7,000 lbs (Towing) 
    • Toyota Tacoma: 1,620 lbs (Payload), 6,800 lbs (Towing)
    • Nissan Frontier: 1,460 lbs (Payload), 6,710 lbs (Towing)

    Production kicks off later this year.

    Source: Ford


    All-New Ford Ranger Is Adventure-Ready With Best-In-Class Payload, Gas Engine Torque And Towing Capability

    • With best-in-class 1,860 pounds of maximum payload, the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger can carry serious gear
    • Ranger’s proven 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine beats the V6 gasoline engines from midsize truck competitors to deliver best-in-class 310 lb.-ft. of torque while towing and climbing trails
    • Best-in-class gasoline engine towing capability of 7,500 pounds with available tow package beats V6-powered competitors to make the all-new Ford Ranger the champ for getting campers to their sites and boats to the slip

    DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 5, 2018 – It’s almost here. As the 2019 Built Ford Tough Ranger nears production, Ford announces its all-new midsize pickup for North America will deliver best-in-class payload, gas torque and towing capability.

    “Think of Ranger as the biggest and most capable backpack for your gear,” says Rick Bolt, Ford Ranger chief engineer. “With 1,860 pounds of maximum payload, Ranger can haul nearly a ton of gear to enable your next adventure.”

    The 2019 Ford Ranger’s standard 2.3-liter EcoBoost® produces 270 horsepower and, more importantly, 310 lb.-ft. of torque – the most engine-turning power of any gas engine in the midsize pickup segment, including V6 engines from competitors.

    Paired with a class-exclusive 10-speed transmission, Ranger features a unique combination of power and capability that only comes from a truck that’s Built Ford Tough.

    Anchored by a high-strength steel frame and robust solid rear axle with Hotchkiss suspension, Ranger can conventionally tow more than any gas engine truck in its class – 7,500 pounds when equipped with the tow package and a trailer brake controller.

    Production begins later this year at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan.

    • Like 1



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    I'm a little disappointed they didn't reach a little higher with both hp and tq numbers but I bet it will do its just just fine. 

    I was hoping more for like 285hp/325tq.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Has anyone figured out why GM's 3.6L V6 is so weak on torque?  You almost want the 3800 or 3900 back just for torque alone.

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, riviera74 said:

    Has anyone figured out why GM's 3.6L V6 is so weak on torque?  You almost want the 3800 or 3900 back just for torque alone.

    Torque of any over head cam motors always suck. Draw back is with out stupid high reving and then turbo charging you have weak torque and movement of the auto.

    Marketing is what made these types of motors seem to be the one you wanted when GM built Torque monster small engines with low HP. Moved the auto's smoothly but the lost out due to GM's lack of proper marketing and the rest of the industry trashing it with marketing that said High Horsepower, low torque is the better motors. Just look at the garbage Italian motors and many others out there that especially are non turbo. They all have weak torque figures compared to HP.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    I'm a little disappointed they didn't reach a little higher with both hp and tq numbers but I bet it will do its just just fine. 

    I was hoping more for like 285hp/325tq.

    For those who are unlike me and actually don't have an irrational bias against it it should do just fine.

    6 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Torque of any over head cam motors always suck. Draw back is with out stupid high reving and then turbo charging you have weak torque and movement of the auto.

    Marketing is what made these types of motors seem to be the one you wanted when GM built Torque monster small engines with low HP. Moved the auto's smoothly but the lost out due to GM's lack of proper marketing and the rest of the industry trashing it with marketing that said High Horsepower, low torque is the better motors. Just look at the garbage Italian motors and many others out there that especially are non turbo. They all have weak torque figures compared to HP.

    Right...which is why the Mustang GT is so slow compared with the pushrod V8 cars of the muscle car era.

     

    And yes that is sarcasm.

    • Haha 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

    Sounds like it is turning out to be a nice little truck.....

     

    And can tow a pop up......

    Pickup trucks are turning out to be a bright spot in a sea of automotive monotony.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Pickup trucks are turning out to be a bright spot in a sea of automotive monotony.

    True...at this rate, might be all we have left!

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    There is a reason that I am much less of an enthusiast than before.

    Best old New car is Jag converting the XJ's into silent speeding silver bullets of electricity. That is a sexy car. We need modern takes on cars like that.

    • Upvote 1
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    i wonfer if GM will end up putting the new 2.7 turbo four into the Colorado.

    The new Ranger is a very soft looking truck.  MEH.  At least Ford could have come up with a new design for the US.

    Edited by regfootball
    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    There is a reason that I am much less of an enthusiast than before.

    Need to make cars fun again....

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    18 hours ago, regfootball said:

    i wonfer if GM will end up putting the new 2.7 turbo four into the Colorado.

    The new Ranger is a very soft looking truck.  MEH.  At least Ford could have come up with a new design for the US.

    Probably not enough ROI to justify it.   Remember, this is an existing vehicle Ford has federalized for the US market...probably pretty cheap by new vehicle development standards.

     It looks cleaner than the F-series, the blocky overdone robot styling wouldn't work as well on a smaller truck..

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    There is a reason that I am much less of an enthusiast than before.

    I disagree, there a lot of cars currently on the market for the enthusiasts, starting from more affordable Miata, GT86, Mustang Ecoboost etc.,  than pony cars that now have performance of a sports cars.  Plenty of cars for off-road as well, new Jeep, trucks souped up for off road, old timers like 4Runner.

    I think there is plenty to choose from.  The prices have gone up, true but there enough to choose from new and used for almost every budget.

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    Probably not enough ROI to justify it.   Remember, this is an existing vehicle Ford has federalized for the US market...probably pretty cheap by new vehicle development standards.

     It looks cleaner than the F-series, the blocky overdone robot styling wouldn't work as well on a smaller truck..

    Agreed..works well for a smaller truck

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, regfootball said:

    i guess to me i can't tell if its design is 1990's, early 2000's.  It just looked melted and BLAH

    Well, it's a 2015 MCE of a 2011 design.   

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    22 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    Well, it's a 2015 MCE of a 2011 design.   

    Which is based on a 2001 design they pouched from their 1991 portfolio! ;) Or when ever in time they decided to rehash the same thing over and over. :P 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Which is based on a 2001 design they pouched from their 1991 portfolio! ;) Or when ever in time they decided to rehash the same thing over and over. :P 

    I think the 2011 international Ranger was a clean sheet design.  Now the last US Ranger was a 1993 design that had a couple minor MCEs over it's long run..

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    I think the 2011 international Ranger was a clean sheet design.  Now the last US Ranger was a 1993 design that had a couple minor MCEs over it's long run..

    My Sarcasm failed me. :P Yea, I would agree that they did have what might have been a clean sheet redesign, but ya have to admit, the ranger had grown very long, very very long in the tooth with how many years they sold that same body style.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yeah, but you're going to have to keep your foot in the boost to get that power and that will make it suck gas.  I wasn't particularly impressed with the Turbo-4 in the Mustang.  I want to stress that there wasn't anything wrong with it... it just didn't feel particularly fast (unlike the Camaro V6 I just drove) and it wasn't particularly efficient even when I was driving like a grandmother.  

    GM's solution of shutting down 2 cylinders out of the 6 to save on fuel seems more effective for fuel economy in real driving rather than just EPA. 

    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    You know what? GM should develop a V6 derived from the Vortec V8 family GM still has in its trucks, and then spread that torquey V6 everywhere.  Just like they did when they got the original 231 back in 1975.  Besides, those V8s can easily be the basis for a torque strong 4cyl instead of all those German-developed 4cyl engines that are OK but not great.

    • Haha 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 10/7/2018 at 12:23 PM, regfootball said:

    i wonfer if GM will end up putting the new 2.7 turbo four into the Colorado.

    The new Ranger is a very soft looking truck.  MEH.  At least Ford could have come up with a new design for the US.

    http://www.autonews.com/article/20181010/BLOG06/181019878

    "GM's 2.7-liter turbo engine is in the wrong truck"

    Quote

    So here's the bottom line: The new 2.7-liter engine, loaded with all sorts of technology to boost fuel efficiency and performance, is in the wrong truck. The midsize Chevrolet Colorado is where the 2.7-liter engine will shine, delivering fuel economy and performance along with the ability to haul heavy loads.

    I'll give the four-cylinder exactly one year in the Silverado before it fades into the Colorado and becomes a big success. A misfire of this magnitude is rare for GM these days.

     

     

    Edited by regfootball
    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×