Denali Makes Big Money For GMC

• GMC is raking in the money thanks to Denali

Nearly 20 years ago, GMC decided to create a luxury version of its Yukon SUV called the Denali by putting on some chrome wheels and leather upholstery. Today, Denali is available on most of GMC's lineup and makes up 25 percent of total sales. It also makes GMC a lot of money.

Motor Authority reports that the Denali trim gives GMC highest transaction price of any non-luxury brand in the industry. To put it another way, if GMC was its own automaker, it would be ranked 150th in the Fortune 500 list. How is this possible? You only need to look at GMC's top vehicles. Close to three out of four Yukons sold are Denali with price tags beginning at $65,000 and climbing. 50 percent of Sierra HDs are Denalis with average transaction prices ranging from $60,000 to $75,000.

Source: Motor Authority

This has been a big deal for GM and GMC. They add some cheap chrome and some stitching and get a bigger price for it. The Denali has created an image that many must have with customers.

This must have is something that is not easy to create at will and when you do it is a gold rush. I only hope Cadillac can only find a combo that works just as well.

To me I would be just fine with a SLT2. I priced a Canyon Denali and while a nice truck it is not worth the extra cost to me. The only real hardware was the heated steering wheel and 20" wheels. The rest is chrome.

While the Denali is not for me more power to GMC to sell them.

I would like the Denali to add more hardware content and get an even higher price. That would really make them different from Chevy.

I agree with Hyper, it isn't for me but more power to them to sell a Tahoe with wheel and trim upgrades for $70k.   You charge what people are willing to pay.  Of course it is huge money maker.  It is like Porsche charging $750 for painted air vents or $1,500 to have a 911 logo painted on the door.  People pay for that crap and it is pure profit.

And agreed again with Hyper on there being some powertrain upgrade, like maybe a turbo or hybrid system on the Terrain and Acadia Denali trims that other wise are mechanical twins to the Chevy.

Denali packages of features is good, but I hate all the chrome. I want a monochromatic model with all those features. Sadly you cannot order up a Denali, minus the chrome. :palm:

It is more than just trim. It also comes with the 6.2L found in the Escalade. It is a similiar formula used by all Luxo makes including your Benz.

Bingo, Bango, Bongo. Denali + painted trim = :heart:

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not in most versions of the Denali line.

There are a couple perks here and there but not many. The magnetic suspension on the truck is one but the Canyon, Terrain, Acadia and others they will sock you for nearly $3.5K more and give you nothing but cheap plastic trim.

In the case of the Canyon I would rather keep the money and get the SLT2 for much less and skip the heated steering wheel.

I wish they would use a solid formula of a few extra HP in all version and standard AWD in all models. really give you something for the money.

But then again if people keep buying them like this who can blame them for not adding the extra real hardware. It is less work and more profits.

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Can't that 6.2 also be bought in Silverados though?  So it really isn't an upgrade as much as just giving them the top engine to justify the price. Not a bad thing, but it really isn't an "upgrade" if it can be had in lesser models.

Not a big fan of all the chrome either.

I am going to look at the ZR2 just because it is more truck for the money and no chrome than the Canyon Denali. The Denali is about $10K more and for what?

Just now, ccap41 said:

At one time the only way to get it in a half was in the Denali it also came standard AWD. They kind of lost that formula as it moved on.

I bought our Terrain a month before they showed the Denali version. I was not upset for what they offered vs. what more they charged. Heck the V6 is not even standard.

41 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

On the Yukon Denali there is a powertrain upgrade, but there is not on the Terrain or Acadia, which is why I suggested those two.  Acadia Denali has the same engine as a base Traverse.  On Maybach there is no powertrain upgrade from the S550 and S600, but they lengthened the body of the car and raised the roof height and upgraded the inside, and the base car had a V12, not a lot of room to upgrade, plus it is a chauffuer driven car anyway.

8 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

That make sense. They have done so well with the brand that people will buy it just for the "prestige" at this point. Good for them, but the people buying those aren't the most financial savvy because they really don't sound like much of a step from the SLT.

Heck, I just saw the base engine in the Denali 1500 is still the 5.3. WTF? I mean I guess they're giving the customer more options..but that seems shetty. You have to opt for the "Denali Ultra Package" that is $7,450(currently marked down to $6700) to get the 6.2. Which, obviously gets you a shet ton of other stuff but that seems ridiculous.

Blah Blah Blah Mercedes is God blah blah blah.

Same powertrain as the peasant S550? Weak-ass-sauce. I know if I'm spending 170k on a car it better not have the same engine as the 96k car. Heck, If I'm spending 170k on my Maybach I sure as hell don't want an S600 to pull up next to me and make me look stupid. S550 Maybach? WTF is that peasant crap all about? Why would Mercedes ever put such a name matched to the weak-ass, peasant, poor people version of the S Class? Mercedes needs to get their heads out of their asses and build some quality vehicles that make sense.

"Hi, I own a 449hp Maybach!"

"Your sh!t is weak. My 523hp/612tq will make you look stoooopid."

On Maybach

That's a $70,000 premium to not even get a different engine or power bump. Pathetic.

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

Not in most versions of the Denali line.

I am referring to the Yukon only since he made the Tahoe reference. Guess I need to be more specific even though the reply was directly to SMK who made the Tahoe reference in the first place.

Why the pick ups are different is beyond silly to me.

IMG_4538.PNG

IMG_4537.PNG

Edited by surreal1272

People who by for prestige are not financially  savey when it comes to vehicles as they are buying image savey is no part of image.

Now if the have no care for image they just buy average Chevy.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Blah Blah Blah Mercedes is God blah blah blah.

"Hi, I own a 449hp Maybach!"

"Your sh!t is weak. My 523hp/612tq will make you look stoooopid."

And that is why Maybach has been a huge fail in this country. Everyone with that kind of cash saw for what they were, a stretched out S Class.

26 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Why the pick ups are different is beyond silly to me.

IMG_4538.PNG

IMG_4537.PNG

I took no issue with what you said. We are good!

28 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

I took no issue with what you said. We are good!

No worries. I realized that I didn't clarify my remark which is why I followed up with a screenshot of the Denali in question. It's all good.

I swear to God I had the first post in this thread.. it even shows up in my profile.. but for some reason it's not present.. anyway..

I tried to get this across to Smk awhile ago. Gotta wonder why the new Avista brand is coming.... Wait... No U don't. Seriously. Imagine Cadillac getting highest ATPs in its segment... GMC/Denali.. Buick/Avista.. these are the things that will prove to be the reasons why GM is now becoming a Profit maker on the cusp of VW/AUDI/Porsche. GM.. could make even more of of GMC.. that's the other brand that idiots back in 2009 said should go along with Buick.. They could offer, along with Denali.. a "Hummer" Trim. But have 3 specific models that look mysteriously like the H3, H3T and Hx concept.. all based off the Canyon/Colorado

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Blah Blah Blah Mercedes is God blah blah blah.

"Hi, I own a 449hp Maybach!"

"Your sh!t is weak. My 523hp/612tq will make you look stoooopid."

If it makes you feel better, the 2018 S550 will have 476 hp.

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

A Buick luxury trim doesn't make too much sense because that is what Cadillac is. Just like Chevy doesn't have a luxury Traverse because Buick builds one.   If Buick can charge $10,000 extra for an Avista trim Lacrosse more power to them.  They should do and take the money and run.  But look at the Reserve and Balck label Lincolns, they aren't really doing anything.

i think Cadillac would love to have higher trim cars and be able to option cars the way Porsche does, but I don't think they know how to get there.  $100,000 XT5's is a big reach but you can run a Porsche Macan to that price and their customers are happy to pay it.  Probably why Mercedes is so hell bent on going after Porsche.

I think the bigger picture here is that this shows GM has tapped into an Emotional aspect of the customer.

We have gone for many years where so many models have been sold on Quality, MPG, Utility and Price. With the Denali it is like the old days where if you want the best then you pay more for the best and the customer gets satisfaction in owning the top models that appear a little better.

Now for us here we know all the RPO codes and options and we know that for what you pay more for here you really are getting shafted in many of these models. But most buyers are buying on emotion and satisfaction of how the vehicle reflects on them. This is a seriously hard thing to do as BMW and others have done it for year. No one needs a BMW and few ever drive one in anger but to have one give that self reflection that makes them feel better about their vehicle and how it reflects on them.

This is what the main line of Cadillac needs to accomplish again. It used to be just owning a Cadillac meant you were a real mover and shaker in town. It meant success and you had it made.

As time went buy they went more mass market and that led to you just had a good paying job and were not the company owner. The owners then started to look for products that their employees could not own to have what not everyone could have,

I would love to see GM get Cadillac not just in V form gain this edge again. In their case it is not just a special version of a model but a special model and not something everyone can own or have. Make it so it defines the owner emotionally and image wise to where it is a statement of being conceptional. You can still let the CUV models carry the volume as they appear to be accepted in larger numbers but the cars need to be special.

But really study the Denali and the average buyer of it and you will see the key to profits with any model.

This is like selling coffee. You can sell a cup like MC Donald's for less than a buck and sell a lot of it. Or you can take that same coffee add a little spice and whip cream and then foam it up and get $5 bucks for it. The Coffee is not really any better and your additions are just more dressing of the same old product. but yet people like it and are willing to pay much more with so little investment.

The Denali is just pure genius.

Now  with that said it will work at Buick too. Now as for Chevy it is limited as Chevy just is not seen as being exlusive or special. Same with Toyota or even Honda. They are value volume brands and while you can offer a better model like a LTZ  anything higher is going to be limited. Ford has found that out with the Platinum line as sales have not been great and it was intended to replace Lincoln.

I expect Cadillac to start to offer some really special things once the new product arrive. I expect more custom offerings too. I see JDN returning more to the Cadillac of old like in the 30's where they tailored their product to those willing to pay more.

The SUV and CUV will see some but they will remain more main stream as they can get away with it like the volume.

It is like Porsche. A 911 owner does not want to see one in every parking lot. But a Cayenne owner could care less if there are ten of these in the country clubs parking lot. If anything he will feel like he belongs to the group.

I hope this makes sense.

While I know we all like to see special engineering and even things like coupes and wagons added to the mix. They just do not return the profits like a little chrome and trim does. Even engine changes account for high EPA testing that is hard to make back and even in some cases fuel system changes that need crash tested.

The Denali does not make sense either but it makes dollars.

Do not try to rationalize emotions and image building of a customer. You never will make sense of it but you can make money from it.

Avista will make a lot of money as it will be just like the Denali. For about $500 per unit additional content  they can sell it for $4,000 more.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Cadillac is a different story.. but the Chevy Brand does have higher trims already. The HIGH COUNTRY is an example on one particular vehicle. Buick having Avista has NOTHING to do with Cadillac. These brands should operate on their own.. and like the article states.. GMC could be a company on its own in the Fortune 150.. Why can't Buick selling over 1.1 Million units up to Sept 2016???Meaning it probably hit 1.3, 1.4 full year numbers, so why not capitalize on it?

Perhaps in China, the Avista line will have more play and drive some profit there.  But GM has Cadillac for a reason.  If you want more than a Buick, GMC, Corvette or whatever, you go to Cadillac.  GM in the past 10 years has been trying to push Corvette, Buick and GMC up market, Cadillac hasn't made a move.  The thought of a $100,000 XT5 would be laughable, it is more than an Escalade, but there are competitors selling small and mid-size crossovers at that price point.   If Cadillac doesn't get up there, and sits in the $35-70k range, I don't really see the point of pushing Buick and GMC up market on top of them.

In 2007 the Escalade started at $57K. Now it's $74K - $110K.

In 2006 the CTS started at $30K. Now it's $46K-$110K.

Cadillac has made major moves while you were sleeping.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

In 2007 the Escalade started at $57K. Now it's $74K - $110K.

In 2006 the CTS started at $30K. Now it's $46K-$110K.

Cadillac has made major moves while you were sleeping.

Escalade has moved up, but CTS moved up only because it replaced the STS.  Plus you have inflation.

In 2006 an SRX was $36,270, STS $41,020, DTS $41,195  Adjusted for inflation the SRX is $44,495, STS would be $50,322, and DTS would be $50,537.  The XT5, CTS, and XTS are cheaper now compared to the SRX, STS, and DTS then.  They are still basically selling cars in the same market space as they were 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

So what U are sayin is that Cadillac finally smartened up and start advertising MSRPs that were lower but when the buyer got to the dealer still ended up being sold on products that much higher in price.. Cause I can tell U that I have yet to see anyone I kno buy a base Cadillac in the last 5 years. Furthermore ATPs on each model along with overall brand suggest something totally different than what U are saying. With exception to the ATS.. every Cadillac being sold right now is selling a rather nice hike on the MSRP due to proper optioning by consumers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

• Popular Stories

1. dans30thta
      dans30thta

GM Was the Fastest Growing Automaker in March, Driven by Chevrolet and Buick
      Strong Retail Share Gain for the First Quarter DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM), which grew its retail sales faster than any other full-line automaker in 2016, outpaced the industry once again in March. The company also gained retail share in the first quarter of 2017.
      “The economy is strong and we see more growth ahead for our brands,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of sales operations. “More people are working, consumer confidence is at a 16-year high, fuel prices are low and Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac have a wave of new crossovers to compete in the industry’s biggest and hottest segments.”
      At Buick, crossovers are expected to account for more than 75 percent of retail deliveries in 2017, up from 66 percent in 2016, driven by the Encore, Envision and Enclave. GMC, which has the highest average transaction prices (ATPs) of any non-luxury brand, will launch the all-new 2018 Terrain in late summer, complementing the redesigned Acadia that went on sale in late summer 2016. Cadillac will benefit from a full year of production of the new XT5 crossover, which is now the second best-selling vehicle in its segment. Chevrolet, which grew retail market share in 2015 and was the industry’s fastest-growing brand in 2016, is particularly well positioned. Chevrolet had its best March and first quarter retail sales since 2007.
      “Chevrolet will have the industry’s broadest and freshest lineup of utility vehicles led by the all-new 2018 Equinox and Traverse, plus we have a unique three-truck pickup strategy and a dominant position in large SUVs,” McNeil said. “We also have a first-mover advantage in many segments. It will be years before key competitors are able to launch rivals to the Chevrolet Bolt EV, Colorado and Trax.”
      Highlights (vs. 2016)
      First Quarter Overview
      GM’s retail sales were 546,838 units, up 1.9 percent, and retail market share was up 0.2 percentage points to an estimated 16.8 percent. The gains were primarily driven by crossovers, which were up 21 percent. Truck deliveries were up half a percentage point. Chevrolet increased its first quarter retail share by an estimated 0.1 percentage point, as did GMC. Commercial deliveries were up 4 percent, and daily rental deliveries were down 8 percent, or about 6,000 units. Total fleet sales were down 3 percent. Total sales were 689,521 units, up 1 percent, and market share was up an estimated 0.3 percentage points to an estimated 16.7 percent. Average transaction prices were approximately $34,000, in line with last year’s first quarter. March Overview
      Retail sales were 203,113 units, up 5 percent, and market share was up 0.6 percentage points to an estimated 16.1 percent. Chevrolet’s estimated retail market share increased 0.4 percentage points and Buick was up 0.3 percentage points. Total sales were 256,224 units, up 2 percent, and market share was up an estimated 0.4 percentage points to 15.9 percent. Commercial deliveries were up 3 percent driven by a 67 percent increase in Malibu deliveries and strong pickup and large van sales. Daily rental sales down 18 percent, or more than 5,100 units. Fleet sales were down 9 percent. Brand Highlights (vs. 2016)
      Chevrolet Crossovers
      On a retail basis in March, the Trax was up 51 percent, the Equinox was up 26 percent and the Traverse was up 24 percent. For the quarter, Trax retail sales were up 54 percent, the Equinox was up 16 percent and the Traverse was up 7 percent.  Bolt EV sales in the quarter were 3,092 units, with limited availability. The days to turn is exceptionally low at 14 days. Chevrolet Trucks
      Chevrolet had its best first quarter truck sales since 2008, up 6 percent. Key drivers were the Suburban, up 26 percent; the Tahoe, up 11 percent; and strong full-size van sales to small business customers and fleets. Silverado sales were essentially equal to a year ago. Chevrolet retail truck sales in the first quarter were up 2 percent, with the Tahoe up 9 percent, the Colorado up 7 percent and the Suburban up 5 percent. Silverado sales were essentially equal to a year ago. The Tahoe and Suburban had their best March total sales since 2008, and their best first quarter total and retail sales since 2008. The Colorado had its best first quarter retail sales since 2005.   Chevrolet Cars
      Retail deliveries were very strong in March, up 9 percent. The drivers were the Cruze, up 63 percent; the Sonic, up 14 percent; the Spark, up 50 percent; the Volt, up 15 percent; and the Camaro, up 2 percent.  During the quarter, retail car deliveries were down 11 percent, reflecting industry-wide changes in customer demand. However, Cruze retail sales were up 22 percent during the quarter; the Spark was up 37 percent; and the Volt was up 39 percent. The Volt had its best first quarter total and retail sales ever.  Buick Sales
      Buick had its best March retail sales since 2005, with sales up 22 percent. The LaCrosse was up 60 percent on a retail basis in March, the Encore was up 17 percent and Regal was up 7 percent. On a total sales basis, it was Buick’s best March since 2006, with deliveries up 15 percent. First quarter retail deliveries were the highest since 2004, driven by a 29 percent increase in crossover sales. The Encore has posted seven consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains, and it had its best-ever March and first quarter sales. The Envision had its best month since launch. GMC Sales
      Total GMC sales were up 12 percent in March, driven by a 47 percent increase in crossover deliveries. The Acadia, which was redesigned last year, was up 84 percent and the Terrain was up 14 percent. The Yukon XL was up 17 percent. March was the highest-ever month for Denali models, at 29 percent of GMC retail sales. Total GMC sales for the first quarter were the best since 2000, with deliveries up 10 percent. First quarter retail deliveries were up 4 percent, with the Acadia up 30 percent and Sierra HD models up 22 percent. Cadillac Sales
      Cadillac XT5 retail sales in March were 22 percent higher than the outgoing SRX, and ATPs were about 9 percent higher. Cadillac’s ATPs continue to be in the upper echelon of luxury brands at more than $54,000. Full-year Guidance
      We believe strong car-buying fundamentals are reflected in the retail component of the light vehicle SAAR (seasonally-adjusted annual rate), which was 14 million in March, up 0.3 million versus a year ago. The retail SAAR for the first quarter was 14.3 million, up 0.1 million. Ten all-new or recently redesigned crossovers are expected to drive GM’s sales and share higher in 2017. GM’s deliveries to daily rental companies are expected to decline for the third year in a row. The company expects inventory in the second quarter to be lower than the first quarter, in a range around 90 days’ supply. The decline reflects strong sales, lower car production and strategic, launch-related growth in truck and crossover stocks. The company expects to end 2017 at essentially the same inventory levels as 2016 on a days’ supply basis, but with fewer cars and more trucks and crossovers in stock. As expected, incentives were down sharply from February 2017, according to J.D Power PIN estimates. Spending as a percentage of average transaction price (ATP) declined from approximately 14.9 percent to about 13.5 percent. The launches of new crossovers and adjustments to passenger car inventories will help moderate incentive spending going forward.
      GM Grows Total and Retail Sales in February, Market Share up Sharply, Transaction Prices Set February Record

DETROIT — Record sales of crossovers, large SUVs and pickups in February drove General Motors’ (NYSE: GM) retail market share up more than one-half percentage point versus a year ago. Average transaction prices, which reflect what customers pay after sales incentives, also set a February record.
      “Our retail-focused go-to-market strategy is delivering robust results,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president, Sales Operations. “All of our brands grew their average transaction prices by healthy amounts, and we delivered solid growth in the industry’s fastest-growing and most profitable segments.”
      February Highlights (vs. February 2016)
      GM’s total sales were up 4 percent to 237,388 units compared with an estimated 1 percent decline for the industry. This equates to a market share of 17.5 percent, an increase of 0.9 percentage points. Retail sales totaled 188,715 units, up 5 percent, compared with a flat industry. This equates to a market share of 17.7 percent, an increase of 0.7 percentage points. GM’s average transaction prices (ATPs) rose $570 per unit to $34,900, a February record. Three years of J.D. Power PIN data show that GM has led the industry in ATPs in 35 of 36 months through February. GM internal data shows that incentive spending was essentially flat year over year. This is in sharp contrast to recently published PIN estimates that noted an increase of 2.7 percentage points to 15 percent of ATP.  Commercial deliveries were up 7 percent, driven by an 11 percent increase in pickup sales and a 75 percent increase in Chevrolet Malibu sales. It was the best February Commercial sales since 2008. Government sales were up 4 percent and daily rental deliveries were down 2 percent. Total fleet sales were up 2 percent. Small business deliveries, which are included in retail sales, were up 13 percent, driven by a 22 percent increase in full-size pickups and a 39 percent increase in large vans. GM estimates the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles was approximately 17.5 million units. Brand Highlights (vs. February 2016)
      Chevrolet had its best February retail sales since 2007 and its best February total sales since 2008. Crossovers deliveries set a February record for the brand. Three Chevrolet models ― the Trax, Equinox and Volt ― had their best February total and retail sales ever. Traverse had its best-ever February total sales, and its best February retail sales since 2011. Deliveries of the Chevrolet Bolt EV approached 1,000 units. The national rollout of the crossover is just underway. The Chevrolet Suburban had its best February retail sales since 2008, and the Silverado had its best February total and retail sales since 2007. Buick had its best February retail sales since 2004, driven by the all-new Envision and the Encore, which set a February record. GMC had its best February retail sales since 2002, with trucks and crossovers up 18 percent and 15 percent, respectively. Standouts include the Canyon, up 21 percent; the Sierra, up 19 percent; the Acadia, up 22 percent; and the Terrain, up 8 percent. GMC Denali penetration, at 26 percent of GMC retail sales, was the highest for any February in history. GM estimates that Chevrolet and GMC earned more than 40 percent of all full-size pickup retail sales, with ATPs up nearly $600 per unit. Cadillac XT5 retail deliveries were 6 percent higher than the SRX it replaced. Average transaction prices are 8 percent higher than SRX. GM 2017 Outlook
      GM is optimistic that the company, and Chevrolet in particular, will continue to gain retail market share in an industry expected to remain at or near record sales levels.

“Looking ahead, we will stay focused on strengthening our brands, growing retail sales and share, reducing daily rental deliveries and maintaining our operating discipline,” McNeil said. “Our strong small business deliveries are a clear sign of growing confidence in the economy.”
      In 2016, GM was the industry’s fastest-growing full-line automaker on a retail sales basis, and Chevrolet has been the fastest-growing full-line brand for two consecutive years. Ten all-new or recently redesigned crossovers are expected to drive GM’s sales and share higher in 2017, including the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, which will compete in the industry’s largest segment. GM’s deliveries to daily rental companies are expected to decline as a percentage of total sales for the third year in a row. GM intends to match production with customer demand, and the company’s overall operating discipline should help drive continued improvements in brand health and resale values. Year-end inventories, which include in-transit vehicles, are expected to be in the same range as 2016.
      Source: Motor Authority