Drew Dowdell

Infiniti Updates Infotainment Systems for 2020 Model Year

...most models will get it...

Infiniti will be releasing the next generation of their infotainment system, InTouch, for the 2020 model year.  Most of their lineup, except the QX60, get the updated system.  The biggest news is that the new system will now support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard.  The system can get over the air updates via their home's wifi or systems with navigation can have a data plan to do the updates. The navigation system can also receive real-time traffic data for re-routing and turn-by-turn directions.

Infiniti has upgraded the interface to be easier to use and has added more processing power behind the system. They've also upgraded the bluetooth module for easier pairing and a better microphone for improved voice quality.

Source: Infiniti Media

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Amazing that this is what passes for a critical buying criteria now.

Amazing that this is what passes for a critical buying criteria now.

Ease of operability and integration of the infotainment system is critical..I couldn't imagine buying something new that doesn't have Apple Car Play and good bluetooth pairing w/ my iPhone.    That would be as crazy as buying a car 30 years ago with only an AM/FM radio and no cassette deck or CD player.

Edited by Robert Hall

I guess ride, braking, acceleration, handling, room, etc are merely secondary now. Either that, or future advancement is basically done.

Amazing that this is what passes for a critical buying criteria now.

Infiniti's infotainment system has been among the worst for years now. It wasn't even good when it was new. Any improvements are welcome.

Cadillac has the best pairing system at the moment. Just hold your phone up to a certain spot on the Infotainment system and it will pair automagically. This is on the XT6, CT4, and CT5.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

No, but the infotainment system being frustrating to use is one of the things that struck the Q50 from my list.  They depreciate like a rock, so they were on my radar for low-mileage used options.

I guess ride, braking, acceleration, handling, room, etc are merely secondary now. Either that, or future advancement is basically done.

Those are all important, but cabin tech is something you deal with every time you get in a vehicle.. if it's dated,  a bad design or works poorly that would be a source of constant irritation.

Edited by Robert Hall

Yes Tech is more important than those things for allot of people who only see an Auto as an appliance for getting from point A to B and Back. Sadly, we on C&G are a dying breed of auto enthusiasts.

The upgrades are vital and should have been done three years ago.  I doubt it will move the sales needle but it should incentivize Infiniti buyers to trade in for the infotainment upgrades.  I personally doubt these upgrades would be put in a 2015-19 model.

4 hours ago, frogger said:

Waze + Spotify/Tidal = decent commute.

I thought not having your T-Tops leak while driving in rain equaled a decent commute.

My my...times, they have a-changed...

4 hours ago, frogger said:

Waze + Spotify/Tidal = decent commute.

Waze + Amazon Music / Sirius XM for me.    And not having to drive at all is the best commute.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

USB key or Acura radio memory equals music for the traveling or the trusting AM dial  listening to sports talk radio equals decent commute for me.

I wish T-Tops was still an option for cars.  *SIGH*

Edited by oldshurst442

On 11/1/2019 at 9:07 AM, Robert Hall said:

Yep, cassette deck and 12 disc CD changer in the C5, state of the art for 1998! 20 years later, 2018 Silverado has bluetooth connection for phone and mp3's along with Android Auto and Apple Car Play :chevy:

Can't live without the clarity of SiriusXM or my mp3's. FM has nothing but commercials anymore.

ocnblu

Posted (edited)

It amused me how much time the sales chick spent trying to explain all the cabin tech in my new truck.  I use bluetooth with my flip phone.  And I listen to two FM stations, both public, so no commercials.  The rest of it can rot.

Edited by ocnblu

On 11/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Robert Hall said:

Library for Amazon Music is really lousy up here unfortunately.  I'm on a Spotify family plan so it comes to $36 a year.

Spotify has a family plan?   LOL

So...us being in Canada, not only are we paying extremely high internet fees for 5 minutes worth of world wide web surfing, we also got to pay for music that we should already own on minimum 3 mediums...   Casette (recorded over the radio for free I might add) Cassette and/or LP and upgraded to CD in the 1990s and then just transfered on MP3 later on...

I will NEVER pay for online music services.  I will GLADLY buy the CD/Blue Ray or LP of the artist's album but I NEVER pay for a Spotify type service or XM satellite radio.

I never enjoyed Howard Stern and I do have satellite TV for sports viewing so that nullifies any reason for satellite radiuo services for.

PS:  I got some Cassettes that are no longer in good condition along with a few LPs that are scratched but those albums have been replaced by CDs plus I got a shyte ton of other CDs as well that are immaculate still.  If I dont have a song that I have listened to when I was young, there is youtube.

Most of what I enjoy listening to while I drive are on a USB key or in my car's  radio's memory banks on a playlist from music that I bought and just transferred there.

My both kids are simply not into music the way I was therefore there is no need for me to invest in Spotify music services or heartthrob concert tickets.

They listen to music but youtube is good enough for them. They dont want  to listen to their teen idol artists  24/7...

I use a USB drive loaded w/ music sometimes, but accessing it through the UConnect touch screen is so slow that's it is impractical to use.  Streaming from Amazon Music on my phone over bluetooth is much faster.   Same content for the most part (since I've bought most of my CDs from Amazon for over 20 years and Amazon makes purchases available to stream, and the USB content is my iTunes library which was ripped from those CDs).   Plus I can discover content I don't have through Amazon Music playlists, found some interesting stuff.

I didn't have Sirius XM before this Jeep, but really like it, to the point of never using AM or FM anymore..I don't like the advertising and limited content on AM or FM.

I also like to stream podcasts from Overcast on my iPhone as well.

Having a lot of choices for content consumption and finding what works for you is great.

Edited by Robert Hall

16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is the bottom line.

I just speak for myself.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Spotify has a family plan?   LOL

I get what you are saying, my daughter has spotify and added my wife and I on her account. Have to say, I am loving how it just works on my Panasonic Android / Apple head unit in the SS and is commercial free. Has made me decide to update the OEM head unit in my Escalade to an aftermarket unit as it is just awesome. Love listening to my music with no commercials. In regards to XM Satellite Radio, I have it on the Escalade and if it was not for the offer I took at the time when they were merging with Sirius to not loose me, I would not have it today. I now have lifetime on my Escalade for XM, so the best $200 I spent back in 2007 when the merger was anounced and after 57 weeks, took place on March 24th 2008. I will say that much of SiriusXM has talk shows and commercials now and it becomes harder and harder to listen as I hate commercials and talk shows, just let me listen to my music. As such, Spotify and YouTube Music are great. Worth the small yearly cost for commercial free music everywhere.

The amazon app on both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay has been miserable lately.... crashes a lot and hard to navigate.

What does that app give you on the auto when driving, the ability to order stuff? Yup, probably one of the few people that does not have an amazon account or use them.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Amazon Music.  It's a subscription service like Apple Music or Spotify, but it comes with your Prime account.

Since I don't have Apple Car Play, I just start playing a playlist or album on the app on my phone and stream it to the Jeep head unit over bluetooth or USB..works fine that way.

That's got to be unusual being in the Seattle area but not an Amazon customer.     I've been using Amazon for 22+ years, Prime for at least 15 years.  Get deliveries from them several times a week.

Edited by Robert Hall

• By Drew Dowdell
      Starting in 2020, Ford will be launching Sync 4 in most updated and redesigned vehicles. One of the key features of the new infotainment operating system is the ability to get updates over the air via a cellular network.  The over-the-air update ability makes updating the system as easy as a cell phone.  In Sync 3, the system was able to be updated via a wifi network or USB drive, and that is how Ford rolled out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto when they were finally made available for Sync 3.
      Ford says this change could eliminate some trips to the dealership if the computer needs to be reflashed to updated as part of a recall.  The system has the ability to update software in the background and keep the current software running until the new update is ready for activation, making many of the updates completely invisible to the end user.  Customers can schedule updates for a specific time, such as the middle of the night, to further make the process invisible.
      Sync 4 is designed to run on 8-inch screens standard, but 12-inch and 15.5-inch screens are available too.  Voice recognition in Sync 4 is activated by saying "Ok Ford".
      Ford believes performing some recall work via the OTA updates will improve customer satisfaction and increase business.
      Ford has not released which models will get Sync 4 first.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford has not released which models will get Sync 4 first.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      If you're the owner of an Android phone and an Android Auto enabled vehicle, this summer there will be a big upgrade coming to the interface of both. The new design will allow you to do more with fewer taps, while also showing more information on the screen at a time.
      As soon as you start your car,  Android Auto will pick up where you left off with your media and automatically show your navigation app of choice. Navigation will show a suggested list of places or the user can say "Hey Google" to navigate to a new place.
      At the bottom will be a navigation bar that will allow users to control apps and see turn-by-turn navigation instructions even while on a Media or Phone screen.
      The color pallet has changed to a darker theme which is easier on the eyes. The font has been changed to be easier to read.
      In vehicles with wider screens, Android Auto will now fill that extra space with additional information such as next-turn direction, playback controls, or ongoing call information.
      You can see the new animations and look at the video below.
      These changes will be available on all Android Auto capable devices this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      You can see the new animations and look at the video below.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The QX50 was billed as the most important product in Infiniti's lineup this decade, however sales have not met expectations. Year to date sales through March for the QX50 were just 3,583 units. This contrasts starkly with the 12,830 units the larger and more expensive QX60 moved in the same time frame.
      President of Infiniti Christian Meunier blamed the weak sales on a poor launch of the car due to production issues and a mix of product positioned too high in the market.  Infiniti is in the process of correcting the error with a new trim level and more options on the lower trim levels.
      The Infiniti QX50 is assembled at a new plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico run as a join venture between Nissan Motor Company and Daimler.  The plant has suffered from quality control issues and other production problems.
      Infiniti expect sales of the QX50 to turn around during the summer once the supply chain issues are sorted.

1. BB_454