2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan Drops the iA

The car previously known as the iA and Yaris iA

The Toyota Yaris iA is no more. Putting to rest the last remnants of the Scion brand, Toyota is renaming their smallest sedan to the Yaris for 2019. It also marks the introduction of a range of trims (L, LE, and XLE).

Not much changes in terms of the exterior aside from a honeycomb grille and chrome trim. A lip spoiler is standard on the LE and XLE models. For the interior, the Yaris sedan comes well equipped with a 7-inch display, Bluetooth, backup camera, push-button start, and cruise control. LE and XLE models add a Smart Key. The top-line XLE comes with leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, automatic rain-sensing wipers, and automatic LED headlights.

The powertrain remains a 1.5L four-cylinder with 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque. This can be paired with a six-speed manual or automatic.

All Yaris sedans come equipped with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System.

No word on pricing, but the 2019 Yaris sedan arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Toyota
    Press Release is on Page 2

2019 Yaris Sedan Offers Ideal Blend of Value and Fun

• 2019 Yaris Sedan Available in Three Grades: L, LE, XLE
    • New XLE Grade Adds Leather Accents, Leatherette-Trimmed Interior
    • New Sport-Inspired Front Grille
    • Available 40 MPG Highway Rating*
    • Standard 7-inch Touchscreen Multimedia System
    • Standard Active Safety System, Low-Speed Pre-Collision System

PLANO, Texas, March 26, 2018 – The 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan offers an exceptional blend of efficiency, fun, comfort and safety all at a reasonable price. Is this combination too much to ask of an entry subcompact vehicle? The new Yaris answers with a resounding, “No!”

The Yaris sedan, previously the Yaris iA, will be offered in three grades for 2019, including the sporty L, the well-equipped LE grade, and the new premium XLE grade. Premium, on a Yaris? That’s right. The XLE takes Yaris up a notch with sporty leatherette-trimmed front seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake, an HVAC system with Automatic Climate Control, automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and illuminated entry.

For 2019, all Yaris sedans will feature a new sport-inspired front grille with a honeycomb insert design. Exterior styling cues include upscale piano black accents and chrome trim. Fog lights come standard on the LE and XLE grades, and these grades also sport a new rear lip spoiler. Every grade is fitted with a roof-mounted, color-keyed shark fin antenna for available satellite radio. Power outside mirrors come standard on the L, while the LE and XLE are equipped with power outside heated mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Safety is a priority on every Toyota, and that’s why all Yaris sedans comes standard with an Active Safety System and Low-Speed Pre-Collision System. The Yaris features a high-compression 1.5-liter engine that boasts up to 40 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway*.

The Yaris sedan will be offered in seven colors that include Frost, Chromium, Graphite, Stealth, Sapphire, Pulse and the all-new Icicle. The new Yaris will go on sale in the fall of 2018.

Efficiency is Key

There’s no question that fuel economy is high atop the list of must-haves for Yaris. When the direct-injection 1.5-liter engine is paired with the available 6-speed automatic transmission, the Yaris boasts an impressive 32 MPG in the city, 40 on the highway and 35 combined*. When paired with the six-speed manual gearbox offering, the Yaris provides 30 mpg in the city, 39 on the highway and 34 combined*.

The sporty Yaris sedan is a blast to drive, thanks in large part to the engine and transmission offerings. The 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine pumps out 106 horsepower and 103 lb.-ft. of torque for plenty of pep to power onto highway onramps and seamlessly navigate workday traffic. The standard manual transmission features a compact, lightweight design with a short-throw shift for smooth, quick gear changes. The available automatic transmission aids in smooth starts while offering quick, precise shifts at higher speeds.

Value Doesn’t Sacrifice Fun

Yaris’ sporty handling is engineered into the chassis with effective use of high-tensile steel in the body and frame. The rigid chassis design is complemented with a pairing of stiff springs and MacPherson struts on the front suspension and a durable torsion beam suspension in the rear.

The electronic power steering is designed for smooth, effortless operation. For more spirited driving, Sport Mode provides improved torque feel at the flip of a switch. Stopping duties are handled by ventilated discs up front and drum brakes in the rear. The braking system is tuned with a progressive experience when cornering, as the pedal offers a cushioned feel that gets progressively more rigid as G-force rises. The LE and XLE feature a unique 16-inch alloy wheel with new dark gunmetal finish.

It’s What’s Inside that Counts

Upping the ante on interior comfort and features, every Yaris features a 7.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system with voice recognition, remote interface, steering wheel controls and Bluetooth connectivity. The touchscreen also displays the standard backup camera. Belting out tunes in the cabin is a six-speaker sound system, and each Yaris includes available satellite radio with a 3-month complimentary SiriusXM® All Access trial. An integrated AM/FM antenna, auxiliary audio jack and USB port with iPod® connectivity are standard.

Every Yaris comes equipped with a stylish instrumentation cluster that includes an analog speedometer, digital tachometer and incorporated trip meter. Cruise control also comes standard. Push button start is standard on all grades, and the L grade features a remote keyless entry system while both the LE and XLE are equipped with Smart Key System. Every Yaris is fitted with power windows with driver-side auto up/down and jam protection. A standard 60/40-split rear seat easily expands carrying capacity and versatility.

Standard Safety System

Every Yaris is equipped with an Active Safety System that includes Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and a Brake Over-Ride System (BOS).

The Yaris is also fitted with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System, which scans the road ahead for potential vehicle collisions. If the system detects a potential frontal collision, an audio/visual alert and braking assistance are designed to automatically activate. Should the driver not respond, this system may automatically apply the brakes.

A driver and front passenger airbag system and seat-mounted side airbags are standard, as are front and rear side curtain airbags. Other standard safety features include a Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is also standard on outboard rear seats with tethers and anchors on all rear seats. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) also is equipped on all grades.

this will be the car that's for every car fan's friend/family member who asks: 'what car should i get?'

3 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

In all it's blazing glory.....

On 3/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, frogger said:

This a Toyota Mazda2 n'est pas?

I know why Saturn was created in 1985, and GM ultimately learned enough so that Saturn could disappear in the wake of BK in 2009.  Why did Toyota create Scion?  It was not as if they needed Scion at all.  (Lexus in 1990 was a nuclear missile aimed directly at Mercedes-Benz, particularly the S-Class.  Lexus still does that and probably exceeds MB these days.)  Other than the original xB, why Scion?  I am glad Toyota ditched Scion only because it seemed unnecessary in my book.  As for the car itself, I am sure the Yaris will do fine without the iA designation.  But that leaves me with a question.  In the era of the crossover, who will actually buy a Yaris?

The story for creating Scion IIRC was to have a brand to appeal to 20-somethings...the young buyers weren't really going for Toyotas in the early oughts.

And the irony of that, if Im not mistaken, 'twas older folk that bought Scions.

Scion was not introduced in Canada. Only the last couple of years of the Scion brand did Toyota bring Scion to Canada.

I hardly know anything about the brand and its cars.  Im not that interested in the brand anyways to tell you the truth.

5 minutes ago, Paolino said:

You can get rain-sensing wipers on a Yaris, and yet still not on a loaded LaCrosse.

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

I'm sorry; I don't get automating something you're looking directly at/thru. How could a driver possibly be unaware it's raining?

IMO, having an 'object in trunk' monitor/warning makes more sense than rain-sensing wipers.

I think automated wipers are supposed to be luxury things to which entitled and cuddled folk dont have to flick a switch or toggle a button or swipe a lever to switch on the wipers for the wipers to sweep back and forth to clear the rain from the windshield.  Too much work apparently.

Also, if Im not mistaken, the Cadillac and Buick versions from the 1990s also adjusted automatically, the frequency of the back and forths so as not to disturb the driver for him to adjust the frequency himself. Too much trouble to set the intermittent switch. Yes. Yes. the intermittent frequency is NEVER accurate no matter what level you set it on. I guess automatically, problem is solved?

If  the Yaris comes with automated wipers, Its a big leap forward for when I remembered this one

Related image

or very similar. The button itself rings a bell to me if not the whole set-up. I remember it on one of my dad's 1970s GM vehicles.

Was it the 1974 Impala or the 1979 Impala?  I know the 1970 GTO he had did not use this switch as the washer function was on the foot-well on the bottom.  On the left.

Am I jealous that a lowly Yaris will have automated wipers?

Nah!

I love to be in control. In total control of my vehicle. I love to drive. Me. Drive. And do all the things by myself. The only thing manual I dont like is manual transmissions. The ONLY automated part of driving I prefer is the automatic transmission.  I even dont mind me cranking up the roll up windows.

Image result for GM W-408 Window Crank Handle

I remember this crank fondly! 1979 Impala had this. The 1974 Impala had electric windows...and a white vinyle top.

Good times!

Edited by oldshurst442

Since Im going down memory lane, the dome light  from 1970s GM vehicles is also what I miss.

Image result for 1970s GM light dome

I remember putting my little finger in the middle of that star pattern.

I also remember the 1979 Impala having circle rings as a pattern instead of a star.

Good times!

• Only thing I'm aware of down in the left footwell is the headlight dimmer- same place it was for 75 years. I'm positive the washer was never foot-operated on Pontiacs in that era. My brother's '71 GTO has the dimmer switch there also.
    • I would guess that wiper switch was from the '74, font looks very similar to what was in my '72 Riviera.
    • I know that dome light well- dad's '70 Catalina had the same one.
    • I remember looking over his shoulder as he drove that '70 and looking at that red-lit Indian Head high beam indicator. I was sorely disappointed our '77 Cat only had a blue square. I believe Pontiac was preserving it's trademark- they took all Indian-logos off the outside after '55, but kept it as the high beam indicator until '77.

Could it be that the washer was an aftermarket affair?

Or could it be that my memory is foggy and  Im remembering the headlight dimmer instead?  I was born in 1973. My dad totaled the GTO in 1977. I was but 4 years old. Yes, I do remember the car. Very faint memories, so the details are fuzzy.   But I swear I remember stepping on it myself and windshield washer fluid would spurt out. (Out of somewhere because that detail is forgotten.)    Would it be two black nozzles on the hood where the hood vents were. Just above those hood vents?

yes. blue square. You triggered another memory there! :)

Edited by oldshurst442

* No- no aftermarket washer system- just wasn't done in my experience/knowledge. '70 GTO had a dedicated cut-out in the lower dash for the wiper switch, I believe they all had the push-function for washers. Yes- would've been twin metal nozzles aimed at the windshield from the cowl vents.
    • Looks like the Goat had a generic light-up bar on the speedo, right under '70', rather than the big car's Indian Head indicator. I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars. ;)
    • Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Just to let you hooligans know... Toyota is putting a camera mirror in the 2019 RAV4 Limited... the very same tech we ooh and aaah over very recently in the most expensive Cadillacs.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

• Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Thanx for all this info!!!   :thumbsup:

I laughed with this quote.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Seeing that I LOVE the GM A-Body ( I also LOVE the ALL the GM fullsizers of that time too but dream car of all time is a 1970 442...) Im kinda embarrassed by that statement. I respect your opinion on cars, and I do NOT want that statement to be true! Ill just pretend I did not see you write it up...

You see, in my own little world, the 1970 442 is just the greatest thing on earth. The Best Balthy!  The Best!

Image result for the best jerry the best gif

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks.

This statement had me not only LOL-ing...but LMAO-ing! Several notches above that actually.  LMFAO level to be accurate.

And yes. The Yaris SUCKS!

:Toyota:

Edited by oldshurst442

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rain sensing wipers aren't about the on-off, though that's nice.  Rain sense is that the car automatically adjusts the wipe interval while driving depending on the intensity of the rain.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

It's offered on other Buick models currently.  It was standard on my parents 2006 Lucerne CXL.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, balthazar said:

You've never had your wipers at a certain speed only to have a car plow a wave of water at your windshield?  The rainsense usually reacts quicker than you... or how about being at a red light and hearing the wiper chatter go over a mostly dry windshield because it's drizzling, but you stopped... but the wipers are on a preset intermittent cycle?  Or how about when the weather keeps changing between downpours and lighter rain... and your wipers just take care of it because they're automatic...

• Wave of water? Sure; I've had that happen. NBD, it runs right off/ Rain-X/ wipers are on intermittent anyway. Never felt the necessity to panic-hit the wipers to full blast. Remember; I was already looking right  thru my windshield, so I know what's out there even if obscured for a few seconds.
    • Wiper chatter? Very very seldom; I usually get comments from passengers I don't have the wipers running fast enough, not too fast.

I just don't feel I'm yet helpless enough I can't address these few scenarios myself.

2 hours ago, Paolino said:

I get the autosense wipers, but like @balthazar I do not miss not having it as I rainX my windshields and all the auto's have it fly off faster than a wiper. Kinda like going Warp Speed.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

My only problem with RainX is you have to like drive at least 30-40 before it really starts blowing the water off the windshield--which means it's useless in city driving/traffic which I'm in daily.  And in my own experience, the wiper blade would streak across the windshield when you used it at lower speeds, rather than smoothly wipe the windshield--otherwise I loved it.

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Oh it definitely works.  I like using it on my side/rear windows... water flies off it when you hit a certain speed like you're in the dryer of a car wash.  When not flying off, I'd say it beads up more like a freshly-waxed car.  You have to reapply every now and then, but it's a good product.

• By Drew Dowdell
      2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
      Mazda is on a mission lately to make their products feel more premium. They have been tuning their vehicles to be quieter and more refined in order to give them an air that they are above their class. This second generation of the Mazda CX-5 debuted for the 2017 model year with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft of torque.  For 2019, Mazda added the 2.5-liter turbocharged engine from the CX-9. On regular gas, the engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft of torque, but if you fill it up with 93 octane, the horsepower figure bumps up to 250.  Available only on the Grand Touring and Signature trims, the 2.5-T makes the CX-5 the compact crossover with the most available torque.  Mazda sent a CX-5 Signature for me to try for a week to see what I thought.
      There’s no replacement for displacement… maybe
      The biggest CX-5 news for 2019 is the engine options. There is the 2.5-T mentioned above and a 2.2-liter turbo diesel. Both are exciting entries into a relatively conservative segment.  The 2.5-T is the second-largest displacement engine available in the segment, behind the 3.2 liter V6 in the Jeep Cherokee.  This 4-cylinder puts out quite a bit more torque than the bigger V6, though the Jeep produces more horsepower (271 @ 6,500 rpm). Even among 4-cylinders, this is the largest displacement you can get, but none of those others offering 2.5 liters also offers a turbocharger. This engine is rated by the EPA to get 22 city / 27 highway.  I got about 24 mpg in mostly city driving. Zero to 60 is a claimed 6.2 seconds.
      Under normal driving, the engine is quiet and composed, with torque coming on quickly when called for. When the pedal is mashed at speed, the CX-5 leaps forward with minimal turbo lag and gives off a strong growl from under the hood. The only time you can really feel any lag in the turbo is if you are starting from a dead stop. Overall, you never feel without power at the tip of your toes and the sounds, and lack of sounds, from the engine room is quiet and refined.
      One area the CX-5 falls behind on is in the transmission department. Although the transmission offers smooth shift and is willing to downshift when called upon, a 6-speed automatic almost feels anachronistic in a time when all of its direct competition is sporting 8 or 9 speeds. I never thought there would come a day when 6-forward gears aren’t enough, but here we are. Adding 2 or 3 more gears to the CX-5 would further liven up the already sporty crossover and help keep the turbocharged engine firmly in the good places of its torque band.
      Ride: Al dente – Firm but tender
      If there is a brand that Mazda is looking to emulate here by being premium without the premium badge, it would likely be BMW.  The ride is firm, but not so harsh as to spill your latte. Steering is on the heavy side with precise control and great on-center feel.  Body roll is minimal. Pushing the CX-5 into corners is fun and the standard G-Vectoring Control Plus makes sure you stay planted where you intended to be.  The i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive mostly runs in front-wheel-drive mode until microscopic amounts of wheel slip are detected and then some torque is instantly transferred to the rear wheels.  Mazda programs the AWD system to always have at least a little bit of torque going to the rear in order for the transfer of torque to happen faster.
      It’s what’s inside that matter most
      Inside the CX-5, the premium story continues. There is a distinct lack of cheap plastic even in places where they could probably get away with it. The dash and door panels are made of soft-touch material and there is a tasteful amount of chrome trim. Though the seats look black in pictures, they are actually a very dark brown that Mazda calls Caturra Brown Nappa leather. This leather is a feature of the Signature trim level and they are both heated and ventilated.  Rear passengers get heated outboard seats as well, controlled from inside the fold-down center armrest. Also, a feature of the Signature trim is the real wood dash inlay and ambient cabin lighting. The seats in the CX-5 are very comfortable with just the right combination of support and cushion. They would be most welcome companions on a long road trip. The rear seats are fairly flat and do not offer a lot of legroom.  There is no adjustment fore and aft.  Wind and tire noise has been kept to a minimum.
      There are 4 USB ports, two in the up front armrest and two in the rear armrest. Only one of them allows a connection to the infotainment system.  Oddly, the USB ports don’t seem to put out much juice as my phones were very slow to charge from them.
      The infotainment system is another area similar to BMW.  The unit is controlled by a large dial in the center console or touch screen controls. I found the touch aspect to be laggy and a long reach, so I found myself using the dial. Using the dial to navigate is simple enough, but the menus and layout of the screen could probably use a re-think.  Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both here, for some reason only Apple CarPlay can be activated by touch. Operating either system is frustrating with the dial however, this is especially true for Android Auto which I found frustrating to use without touch screen functionality. At least, unlike BMW, Mazda doesn’t charge you an extra subscription fee to use them. Sound from the Bose speakers was clear, but not especially great.
      There was a time when people mostly bought crossovers for the utility of hauling lots of bulky stuff home from the store, however, these days are different. Now, crossovers are a fashion statement.  Still, the CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats folded and 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.  That is at the high end of mid-pack in the segment with the Honda CR-V being the leader, while the Toyota RAV-4, Chevy Equinox, and Ford Escape all have less.
      Do you need a safe space? This may be it.
      The Mazda CX-5 Signature comes with a whole host of safety equipment and the center of it all is the heads-up display that keeps the driver informed.  Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane-Keep Assist, and Radar Cruise Control, all have status lights in the heads-up display.  I found the blind spot monitoring system to be especially helpful when I was backing out onto a busy street with limited visibility.  Radar Cruise control is one of my favorite systems of all and I feel it should be standard equipment on all cars. The CX-5 can even read speed limit and stop signs as you approach, changing and updating the local regulations in the heads up display.
      The Signature also comes with active headlights that turn when you turn to help see around corners. They helped me spot a deer on the side of the road I normally would not have seen.
      The Verdict
      The CX-5 Signature is the top of the CX-5 line, so naturally, the price is reflected in that. With an MSRP of $36,890 before any options, the CX-5 may seem pricey, but it comes with everything you could possibly want.  However, when you compare it to other small crossovers with similar equipment it actually ends up comparing favorably to others in its class. I priced out Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 2.0T and technology group and the MSRP is $41,685. A GMC Terrain Denali with all the same option boxes checked? $41,430.  A Honda CR-V can’t even be equipped like the CX-5 because there is no up-level engine option, yet it still rings up to $38,147.
      Overall, Mazda has produced a handsome, sporty, fun to drive crossover with enough utility to remain competitive. They’ve loaded it with safety equipment and kept the price in check. It is definitely worth a look.

• By Drew Dowdell
      2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
      There’s no replacement for displacement… maybe
      Ride: Al dente – Firm but tender
      It’s what’s inside that matter most
      Do you need a safe space? This may be it.
      The Verdict

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota announced today that the Toyota Avalon and Camry would be getting an all-wheel drive option. It's the first time the Camry has offered all-wheel drive since 1991 and the first ever for Avalon.  AWD will be available as a standalone option on Camry LE, XLE, SE, and XSE trims and on the Avalon XLE and Limited trims.
      In both models, the car is powered by a 202 horsepower 2.5-liter 4-cylinder and an 8-speed automatic. Camry XSE AWD and both Avalon AWD trims get 205hp with their dual exhaust.
      The AWD system is borrowed from the Toyota RAV-4 and is called Dynamic Torque Control AWD. It is designed to help with traction in slippery weather but not drag down fuel economy when the weather is clear. The AWD system can direct up to 50 percent of the torque to the rear wheels.  When AWD isn't needed, the system can disengage the drive shaft from the differential to lessen the drag on fuel efficiency.
      Neither of these cars was originally planned to have AWD, but given the flexibility of the TNGA architecture they and the RAV4 all ride on, Toyota's R&D department in Saline Michigan was able to modify the cars for this new option.  The body of the Camry and Avalon was combined with the drivetrain of the RAV-4. Floor structure modifications were required, plus the use of an electronic parking brake.  The gas tank was modified, and despite of the addition of a rear differential, the trunk floor height remains the same.  The addition of AWD adds 165lbs to the Camry while the Avalon's weight remains the about the same as the FWD V6 model.
      Camry AWD will be arriving for model year 2020, while Avalon AWD arrives in 2021.

• By Drew Dowdell