2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan Drops the iA

The car previously known as the iA and Yaris iA

The Toyota Yaris iA is no more. Putting to rest the last remnants of the Scion brand, Toyota is renaming their smallest sedan to the Yaris for 2019. It also marks the introduction of a range of trims (L, LE, and XLE).

Not much changes in terms of the exterior aside from a honeycomb grille and chrome trim. A lip spoiler is standard on the LE and XLE models. For the interior, the Yaris sedan comes well equipped with a 7-inch display, Bluetooth, backup camera, push-button start, and cruise control. LE and XLE models add a Smart Key. The top-line XLE comes with leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, automatic rain-sensing wipers, and automatic LED headlights.

The powertrain remains a 1.5L four-cylinder with 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque. This can be paired with a six-speed manual or automatic.

All Yaris sedans come equipped with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System.

No word on pricing, but the 2019 Yaris sedan arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Toyota
    Press Release is on Page 2

2019 Yaris Sedan Offers Ideal Blend of Value and Fun

• 2019 Yaris Sedan Available in Three Grades: L, LE, XLE
    • New XLE Grade Adds Leather Accents, Leatherette-Trimmed Interior
    • New Sport-Inspired Front Grille
    • Available 40 MPG Highway Rating*
    • Standard 7-inch Touchscreen Multimedia System
    • Standard Active Safety System, Low-Speed Pre-Collision System

PLANO, Texas, March 26, 2018 – The 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan offers an exceptional blend of efficiency, fun, comfort and safety all at a reasonable price. Is this combination too much to ask of an entry subcompact vehicle? The new Yaris answers with a resounding, “No!”

The Yaris sedan, previously the Yaris iA, will be offered in three grades for 2019, including the sporty L, the well-equipped LE grade, and the new premium XLE grade. Premium, on a Yaris? That’s right. The XLE takes Yaris up a notch with sporty leatherette-trimmed front seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake, an HVAC system with Automatic Climate Control, automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and illuminated entry.

For 2019, all Yaris sedans will feature a new sport-inspired front grille with a honeycomb insert design. Exterior styling cues include upscale piano black accents and chrome trim. Fog lights come standard on the LE and XLE grades, and these grades also sport a new rear lip spoiler. Every grade is fitted with a roof-mounted, color-keyed shark fin antenna for available satellite radio. Power outside mirrors come standard on the L, while the LE and XLE are equipped with power outside heated mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Safety is a priority on every Toyota, and that’s why all Yaris sedans comes standard with an Active Safety System and Low-Speed Pre-Collision System. The Yaris features a high-compression 1.5-liter engine that boasts up to 40 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway*.

The Yaris sedan will be offered in seven colors that include Frost, Chromium, Graphite, Stealth, Sapphire, Pulse and the all-new Icicle. The new Yaris will go on sale in the fall of 2018.

Efficiency is Key

There’s no question that fuel economy is high atop the list of must-haves for Yaris. When the direct-injection 1.5-liter engine is paired with the available 6-speed automatic transmission, the Yaris boasts an impressive 32 MPG in the city, 40 on the highway and 35 combined*. When paired with the six-speed manual gearbox offering, the Yaris provides 30 mpg in the city, 39 on the highway and 34 combined*.

The sporty Yaris sedan is a blast to drive, thanks in large part to the engine and transmission offerings. The 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine pumps out 106 horsepower and 103 lb.-ft. of torque for plenty of pep to power onto highway onramps and seamlessly navigate workday traffic. The standard manual transmission features a compact, lightweight design with a short-throw shift for smooth, quick gear changes. The available automatic transmission aids in smooth starts while offering quick, precise shifts at higher speeds.

Value Doesn’t Sacrifice Fun

Yaris’ sporty handling is engineered into the chassis with effective use of high-tensile steel in the body and frame. The rigid chassis design is complemented with a pairing of stiff springs and MacPherson struts on the front suspension and a durable torsion beam suspension in the rear.

The electronic power steering is designed for smooth, effortless operation. For more spirited driving, Sport Mode provides improved torque feel at the flip of a switch. Stopping duties are handled by ventilated discs up front and drum brakes in the rear. The braking system is tuned with a progressive experience when cornering, as the pedal offers a cushioned feel that gets progressively more rigid as G-force rises. The LE and XLE feature a unique 16-inch alloy wheel with new dark gunmetal finish.

It’s What’s Inside that Counts

Upping the ante on interior comfort and features, every Yaris features a 7.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system with voice recognition, remote interface, steering wheel controls and Bluetooth connectivity. The touchscreen also displays the standard backup camera. Belting out tunes in the cabin is a six-speaker sound system, and each Yaris includes available satellite radio with a 3-month complimentary SiriusXM® All Access trial. An integrated AM/FM antenna, auxiliary audio jack and USB port with iPod® connectivity are standard.

Every Yaris comes equipped with a stylish instrumentation cluster that includes an analog speedometer, digital tachometer and incorporated trip meter. Cruise control also comes standard. Push button start is standard on all grades, and the L grade features a remote keyless entry system while both the LE and XLE are equipped with Smart Key System. Every Yaris is fitted with power windows with driver-side auto up/down and jam protection. A standard 60/40-split rear seat easily expands carrying capacity and versatility.

Standard Safety System

Every Yaris is equipped with an Active Safety System that includes Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and a Brake Over-Ride System (BOS).

The Yaris is also fitted with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System, which scans the road ahead for potential vehicle collisions. If the system detects a potential frontal collision, an audio/visual alert and braking assistance are designed to automatically activate. Should the driver not respond, this system may automatically apply the brakes.

A driver and front passenger airbag system and seat-mounted side airbags are standard, as are front and rear side curtain airbags. Other standard safety features include a Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is also standard on outboard rear seats with tethers and anchors on all rear seats. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) also is equipped on all grades.

3 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

this will be the car that's for every car fan's friend/family member who asks: 'what car should i get?'

In all it's blazing glory.....

On 3/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, frogger said:

This a Toyota Mazda2 n'est pas?

I know why Saturn was created in 1985, and GM ultimately learned enough so that Saturn could disappear in the wake of BK in 2009.  Why did Toyota create Scion?  It was not as if they needed Scion at all.  (Lexus in 1990 was a nuclear missile aimed directly at Mercedes-Benz, particularly the S-Class.  Lexus still does that and probably exceeds MB these days.)  Other than the original xB, why Scion?  I am glad Toyota ditched Scion only because it seemed unnecessary in my book.  As for the car itself, I am sure the Yaris will do fine without the iA designation.  But that leaves me with a question.  In the era of the crossover, who will actually buy a Yaris?

The story for creating Scion IIRC was to have a brand to appeal to 20-somethings...the young buyers weren't really going for Toyotas in the early oughts.

And the irony of that, if Im not mistaken, 'twas older folk that bought Scions.

Scion was not introduced in Canada. Only the last couple of years of the Scion brand did Toyota bring Scion to Canada.

I hardly know anything about the brand and its cars.  Im not that interested in the brand anyways to tell you the truth.

5 minutes ago, Paolino said:

You can get rain-sensing wipers on a Yaris, and yet still not on a loaded LaCrosse.

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

I'm sorry; I don't get automating something you're looking directly at/thru. How could a driver possibly be unaware it's raining?

IMO, having an 'object in trunk' monitor/warning makes more sense than rain-sensing wipers.

I think automated wipers are supposed to be luxury things to which entitled and cuddled folk dont have to flick a switch or toggle a button or swipe a lever to switch on the wipers for the wipers to sweep back and forth to clear the rain from the windshield.  Too much work apparently.

Also, if Im not mistaken, the Cadillac and Buick versions from the 1990s also adjusted automatically, the frequency of the back and forths so as not to disturb the driver for him to adjust the frequency himself. Too much trouble to set the intermittent switch. Yes. Yes. the intermittent frequency is NEVER accurate no matter what level you set it on. I guess automatically, problem is solved?

If  the Yaris comes with automated wipers, Its a big leap forward for when I remembered this one

Related image

or very similar. The button itself rings a bell to me if not the whole set-up. I remember it on one of my dad's 1970s GM vehicles.

Was it the 1974 Impala or the 1979 Impala?  I know the 1970 GTO he had did not use this switch as the washer function was on the foot-well on the bottom.  On the left.

Am I jealous that a lowly Yaris will have automated wipers?

Nah!

I love to be in control. In total control of my vehicle. I love to drive. Me. Drive. And do all the things by myself. The only thing manual I dont like is manual transmissions. The ONLY automated part of driving I prefer is the automatic transmission.  I even dont mind me cranking up the roll up windows.

Image result for GM W-408 Window Crank Handle

I remember this crank fondly! 1979 Impala had this. The 1974 Impala had electric windows...and a white vinyle top.

Good times!

Edited by oldshurst442

Since Im going down memory lane, the dome light  from 1970s GM vehicles is also what I miss.

Image result for 1970s GM light dome

I remember putting my little finger in the middle of that star pattern.

I also remember the 1979 Impala having circle rings as a pattern instead of a star.

Good times!

• Only thing I'm aware of down in the left footwell is the headlight dimmer- same place it was for 75 years. I'm positive the washer was never foot-operated on Pontiacs in that era. My brother's '71 GTO has the dimmer switch there also.
    • I would guess that wiper switch was from the '74, font looks very similar to what was in my '72 Riviera.
    • I know that dome light well- dad's '70 Catalina had the same one.
    • I remember looking over his shoulder as he drove that '70 and looking at that red-lit Indian Head high beam indicator. I was sorely disappointed our '77 Cat only had a blue square. I believe Pontiac was preserving it's trademark- they took all Indian-logos off the outside after '55, but kept it as the high beam indicator until '77.

Could it be that the washer was an aftermarket affair?

Or could it be that my memory is foggy and  Im remembering the headlight dimmer instead?  I was born in 1973. My dad totaled the GTO in 1977. I was but 4 years old. Yes, I do remember the car. Very faint memories, so the details are fuzzy.   But I swear I remember stepping on it myself and windshield washer fluid would spurt out. (Out of somewhere because that detail is forgotten.)    Would it be two black nozzles on the hood where the hood vents were. Just above those hood vents?

yes. blue square. You triggered another memory there! :)

Edited by oldshurst442

* No- no aftermarket washer system- just wasn't done in my experience/knowledge. '70 GTO had a dedicated cut-out in the lower dash for the wiper switch, I believe they all had the push-function for washers. Yes- would've been twin metal nozzles aimed at the windshield from the cowl vents.
    • Looks like the Goat had a generic light-up bar on the speedo, right under '70', rather than the big car's Indian Head indicator. I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars. ;)
    • Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Just to let you hooligans know... Toyota is putting a camera mirror in the 2019 RAV4 Limited... the very same tech we ooh and aaah over very recently in the most expensive Cadillacs.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

• Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Thanx for all this info!!!   :thumbsup:

I laughed with this quote.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Seeing that I LOVE the GM A-Body ( I also LOVE the ALL the GM fullsizers of that time too but dream car of all time is a 1970 442...) Im kinda embarrassed by that statement. I respect your opinion on cars, and I do NOT want that statement to be true! Ill just pretend I did not see you write it up...

You see, in my own little world, the 1970 442 is just the greatest thing on earth. The Best Balthy!  The Best!

Image result for the best jerry the best gif

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks.

This statement had me not only LOL-ing...but LMAO-ing! Several notches above that actually.  LMFAO level to be accurate.

And yes. The Yaris SUCKS!

:Toyota:

Edited by oldshurst442

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rain sensing wipers aren't about the on-off, though that's nice.  Rain sense is that the car automatically adjusts the wipe interval while driving depending on the intensity of the rain.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

It's offered on other Buick models currently.  It was standard on my parents 2006 Lucerne CXL.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, balthazar said:

You've never had your wipers at a certain speed only to have a car plow a wave of water at your windshield?  The rainsense usually reacts quicker than you... or how about being at a red light and hearing the wiper chatter go over a mostly dry windshield because it's drizzling, but you stopped... but the wipers are on a preset intermittent cycle?  Or how about when the weather keeps changing between downpours and lighter rain... and your wipers just take care of it because they're automatic...

• Wave of water? Sure; I've had that happen. NBD, it runs right off/ Rain-X/ wipers are on intermittent anyway. Never felt the necessity to panic-hit the wipers to full blast. Remember; I was already looking right  thru my windshield, so I know what's out there even if obscured for a few seconds.
    • Wiper chatter? Very very seldom; I usually get comments from passengers I don't have the wipers running fast enough, not too fast.

I just don't feel I'm yet helpless enough I can't address these few scenarios myself.

2 hours ago, Paolino said:

I get the autosense wipers, but like @balthazar I do not miss not having it as I rainX my windshields and all the auto's have it fly off faster than a wiper. Kinda like going Warp Speed.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

My only problem with RainX is you have to like drive at least 30-40 before it really starts blowing the water off the windshield--which means it's useless in city driving/traffic which I'm in daily.  And in my own experience, the wiper blade would streak across the windshield when you used it at lower speeds, rather than smoothly wipe the windshield--otherwise I loved it.

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Oh it definitely works.  I like using it on my side/rear windows... water flies off it when you hit a certain speed like you're in the dryer of a car wash.  When not flying off, I'd say it beads up more like a freshly-waxed car.  You have to reapply every now and then, but it's a good product.

The Kia Forte could never claim to be the best compact car, but its low price and a long list of equipment made it an interesting alternative choice to the stalwarts of the compact class. This approach has worked well with the Forte becoming one of the brand’s best selling models. Kia wants to change the fortunes of the Forte with third-generation by not fully relying on price and value.  I spent a week in the top-line EX Launch Edition to see how it fares.
      The new Mazda3 is considered by many to be the sexiest compact car on sale. Running a close second is the Forte. Elements of the Stinger are used throughout such as power bulge on the hood, headlights that extend into the fenders, and sculpting along the side. The only place where the design falters is in the rear with a set of triangular pods housing the reversing lights and turn signals. They ruin the elegant and upscale look Kia is trying to go for.
      The Forte’s interior at first glance may look somewhat plain, with only a set of circular vents and a strip of faux metal trim running across the dash being the interesting bits. But Kia has done its homework in building a high-quality interior. Almost all of the plastics used are soft-touch and feature different textures to make the vehicle look and feel more expensive than the actual price. Clever touches such as dual-zone climate control being standard on all models and a two-tier bin allowing you and a passenger to place their phones also set the Forte apart.
      The EX features leatherette upholstery, a 10-way power seat for the driver, and heat/ventilation for those sitting up front. I found the seats to be very easy to find a comfortable position, along with providing excellent support for long trips. The back seat is mixed with a decent of legroom, but headroom being somewhat at a premium due to an optional sunroof for those above six-feet.
      All Fortes come with an 8-inch touchscreen as standard with Kia’s UVO infotainment system. Navigation is only available on the EX if you order the Launch Edition package. The current incarnation of UVO is starting to look somewhat old in terms of the interface. It cannot be beaten for the overall ease of use with large touchpoints, simple menu layout, and physical shortcut buttons underneath the screen. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration is standard across the board.
      Power comes from a 2.0L four-cylinder engine pumping out 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. The base FE gets a six-speed manual, while higher trims use a CVT. The powertrain goes about its business surprisingly well around down with the engine providing decent pull and the CVT mimicking an automatic transmission. But this powertrain falters when you need to get up to speed quickly. The engine runs out of steam when going above 60 mph and there is a noticeable drone coming from the CVT.
      Fuel economy in the 2019 Kia Forte EX is rated at 30 City/40 Highway/34 Combined. My average for the week landed around 33.
      The Forte really shines when it comes to ride quality. Despite having a slightly stiffer ride compared to the last-generation model, the sedan glides over most bumps with no issue. Road and wind noise were about average for the class, and could easily be drowned out by turning up the volume slightly. Handling is about average for the class with a slight amount of body lean and steering providing decent weight.
      To sum up, the large effort Kia has put into the 2019 Forte shows. The combination of styling, a long list of features, balance between ride and handling, and a surprising base price make it a real threat in the compact car class. The only item that needs to be addressed is the engine - ten extra horsepower and torque could make the difference.
      How I would configure a 2019 Kia Forte
      While the EX Launch Edition does provide some desirable features such as adaptive cruise control, QI wireless charging, and a Harman/Kardon audio system, I would drop down to the mid-level S. At $20,290, you’re getting a lot of equipment such as 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, forward collision warning with automatic braking, and keyless entry. I would add the $1,200 S Premium Package to get LED headlights, automatic high beams, and a power sunroof. With destination, the price comes to $22,415. Alternatives to the 2019 Kia Forte
      Hyundai Elantra: Mechanically similar to the Forte, albeit with a face that will scare small kids. Two turbo engine options - one focused on the economy while the other is for sport - might be attractive to some. Honda Civic: Drives slightly better than the Forte and offers more body styles. But lower reliability scores and confounding infotainment systems may cause you to look elsewhere. Chevrolet Cruze: While it lacks a number of features found on the Forte, it does offer a slightly smoother and quieter ride. Plus, dealers are starting to push a lot of cash on the hoods to get them moving.
      Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Forte, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Kia
      Model: Forte
      Trim: EX
      Engine: 2.0L Multi-Port DOHC Inline-Four
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 147 @ 6,200
      Torque @ RPM: 132 @ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 30/40/34
      Curb Weight: 2,903 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Pesqueria, NL, Mexico
      Base Price: $21,990
      As Tested Price: $26,220 (Includes $895.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:

Horsepower @ RPM: 147 @ 6,200
      Torque @ RPM: 132 @ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 30/40/34
      Curb Weight: 2,903 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Pesqueria, NL, Mexico
      Base Price: $21,990
      As Tested Price: $26,220 (Includes $895.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      EX Launch Edtion - $3,210.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      A rumor has been leaked that the next generation of Toyota Tundra, coming in 2021, would have a twin-turbo V6 combined with an electric motor for its top trim trucks.  The tipster posted to TFLtruck.com saying that the new motor would be based on the existing 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 found in the Lexus LS and LC 500h.  It would have around 450 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque and able to achieve over 30 mpg highway.
      In the Lexi, the engine produces 354 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and manages 33 mpg highways.  Our suspicion is that Toyota is making up the deficit by filling the bigger Tundra with bigger electric motors and adding an expected 10-speed automatic, up from the current 6-speed.
      Currently, the Tundra uses two V8s for its powertrain, a 4.6 liter making 310hp and 327 lb-ft of torque and a 5.7 liter making 381hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. Neither engine gets better than 20 mpg currently.
      The next generation Toyota Tundra will be using an all-new platform dubbed F1 and will likely remain in Texas for production.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Porsche Reports April U.S. Retail Sales

First four months up 2.7 percent ahead of new Macan, 911, electric TaycanAtlanta, Georgia. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne, and Macan model lines, today announced April retail sales of 5,018 vehicles. The total was an increase of 5.0 percent from March but down 9.9 percent from a record April 2018. The primary reason for the year-over-year decline was the transition to the new Macan, the best-selling Porsche model that is due in U.S. dealerships this month.

U.S. retail sales in the first four months were 2.7 percent ahead of the same period in 2018, which itself was the seventh record retail year in a row for PCNA.

“We are already feeling the excitement for the refreshed Macan and later this year for the eighth generation of the iconic Porsche 911,” said Klaus Zellmer, President and CEO of PCNA. “In September we will unveil the first all-electric Porsche, the Taycan, so all in all we have a thrilling year to look forward to along with our 191 U.S. dealer partners.”

April results were driven by strong demand for the new Cayenne, with a notable 86.1 percent increase compared to April 2018. The mid-engine 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman together were up 1.3 percent from a year ago.

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales in the U.S. totaled 1,975
      vehicles in April, up 9.4 percent year-over-year.

Model April Sales Year-to-Date 2019 2018 2019 2018 ALL 911 655 804 3,549 3,315 ALL 718 612 604 1,277 1,956 ALL PANAMERA 992 1,026 2,690 2,942 ALL CAYENNE 1,645 884 7,204 4,171 ALL MACAN 1,114 2,252 5,322 7,140 GRAND TOTALS 5,018 5,570 20,042 19,524

1. noah vamosy