2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan Drops the iA

The car previously known as the iA and Yaris iA

The Toyota Yaris iA is no more. Putting to rest the last remnants of the Scion brand, Toyota is renaming their smallest sedan to the Yaris for 2019. It also marks the introduction of a range of trims (L, LE, and XLE).

Not much changes in terms of the exterior aside from a honeycomb grille and chrome trim. A lip spoiler is standard on the LE and XLE models. For the interior, the Yaris sedan comes well equipped with a 7-inch display, Bluetooth, backup camera, push-button start, and cruise control. LE and XLE models add a Smart Key. The top-line XLE comes with leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, automatic rain-sensing wipers, and automatic LED headlights.

The powertrain remains a 1.5L four-cylinder with 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque. This can be paired with a six-speed manual or automatic.

All Yaris sedans come equipped with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System.

No word on pricing, but the 2019 Yaris sedan arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Toyota
    Press Release is on Page 2

2019 Yaris Sedan Offers Ideal Blend of Value and Fun

• 2019 Yaris Sedan Available in Three Grades: L, LE, XLE
    • New XLE Grade Adds Leather Accents, Leatherette-Trimmed Interior
    • New Sport-Inspired Front Grille
    • Available 40 MPG Highway Rating*
    • Standard 7-inch Touchscreen Multimedia System
    • Standard Active Safety System, Low-Speed Pre-Collision System

PLANO, Texas, March 26, 2018 – The 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan offers an exceptional blend of efficiency, fun, comfort and safety all at a reasonable price. Is this combination too much to ask of an entry subcompact vehicle? The new Yaris answers with a resounding, “No!”

The Yaris sedan, previously the Yaris iA, will be offered in three grades for 2019, including the sporty L, the well-equipped LE grade, and the new premium XLE grade. Premium, on a Yaris? That’s right. The XLE takes Yaris up a notch with sporty leatherette-trimmed front seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake, an HVAC system with Automatic Climate Control, automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and illuminated entry.

For 2019, all Yaris sedans will feature a new sport-inspired front grille with a honeycomb insert design. Exterior styling cues include upscale piano black accents and chrome trim. Fog lights come standard on the LE and XLE grades, and these grades also sport a new rear lip spoiler. Every grade is fitted with a roof-mounted, color-keyed shark fin antenna for available satellite radio. Power outside mirrors come standard on the L, while the LE and XLE are equipped with power outside heated mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Safety is a priority on every Toyota, and that’s why all Yaris sedans comes standard with an Active Safety System and Low-Speed Pre-Collision System. The Yaris features a high-compression 1.5-liter engine that boasts up to 40 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway*.

The Yaris sedan will be offered in seven colors that include Frost, Chromium, Graphite, Stealth, Sapphire, Pulse and the all-new Icicle. The new Yaris will go on sale in the fall of 2018.

Efficiency is Key

There’s no question that fuel economy is high atop the list of must-haves for Yaris. When the direct-injection 1.5-liter engine is paired with the available 6-speed automatic transmission, the Yaris boasts an impressive 32 MPG in the city, 40 on the highway and 35 combined*. When paired with the six-speed manual gearbox offering, the Yaris provides 30 mpg in the city, 39 on the highway and 34 combined*.

The sporty Yaris sedan is a blast to drive, thanks in large part to the engine and transmission offerings. The 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine pumps out 106 horsepower and 103 lb.-ft. of torque for plenty of pep to power onto highway onramps and seamlessly navigate workday traffic. The standard manual transmission features a compact, lightweight design with a short-throw shift for smooth, quick gear changes. The available automatic transmission aids in smooth starts while offering quick, precise shifts at higher speeds.

Value Doesn’t Sacrifice Fun

Yaris’ sporty handling is engineered into the chassis with effective use of high-tensile steel in the body and frame. The rigid chassis design is complemented with a pairing of stiff springs and MacPherson struts on the front suspension and a durable torsion beam suspension in the rear.

The electronic power steering is designed for smooth, effortless operation. For more spirited driving, Sport Mode provides improved torque feel at the flip of a switch. Stopping duties are handled by ventilated discs up front and drum brakes in the rear. The braking system is tuned with a progressive experience when cornering, as the pedal offers a cushioned feel that gets progressively more rigid as G-force rises. The LE and XLE feature a unique 16-inch alloy wheel with new dark gunmetal finish.

It’s What’s Inside that Counts

Upping the ante on interior comfort and features, every Yaris features a 7.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system with voice recognition, remote interface, steering wheel controls and Bluetooth connectivity. The touchscreen also displays the standard backup camera. Belting out tunes in the cabin is a six-speaker sound system, and each Yaris includes available satellite radio with a 3-month complimentary SiriusXM® All Access trial. An integrated AM/FM antenna, auxiliary audio jack and USB port with iPod® connectivity are standard.

Every Yaris comes equipped with a stylish instrumentation cluster that includes an analog speedometer, digital tachometer and incorporated trip meter. Cruise control also comes standard. Push button start is standard on all grades, and the L grade features a remote keyless entry system while both the LE and XLE are equipped with Smart Key System. Every Yaris is fitted with power windows with driver-side auto up/down and jam protection. A standard 60/40-split rear seat easily expands carrying capacity and versatility.

Standard Safety System

Every Yaris is equipped with an Active Safety System that includes Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and a Brake Over-Ride System (BOS).

The Yaris is also fitted with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System, which scans the road ahead for potential vehicle collisions. If the system detects a potential frontal collision, an audio/visual alert and braking assistance are designed to automatically activate. Should the driver not respond, this system may automatically apply the brakes.

A driver and front passenger airbag system and seat-mounted side airbags are standard, as are front and rear side curtain airbags. Other standard safety features include a Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is also standard on outboard rear seats with tethers and anchors on all rear seats. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) also is equipped on all grades.

this will be the car that's for every car fan's friend/family member who asks: 'what car should i get?'

3 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

In all it's blazing glory.....

On 3/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, frogger said:

This a Toyota Mazda2 n'est pas?

I know why Saturn was created in 1985, and GM ultimately learned enough so that Saturn could disappear in the wake of BK in 2009.  Why did Toyota create Scion?  It was not as if they needed Scion at all.  (Lexus in 1990 was a nuclear missile aimed directly at Mercedes-Benz, particularly the S-Class.  Lexus still does that and probably exceeds MB these days.)  Other than the original xB, why Scion?  I am glad Toyota ditched Scion only because it seemed unnecessary in my book.  As for the car itself, I am sure the Yaris will do fine without the iA designation.  But that leaves me with a question.  In the era of the crossover, who will actually buy a Yaris?

The story for creating Scion IIRC was to have a brand to appeal to 20-somethings...the young buyers weren't really going for Toyotas in the early oughts.

And the irony of that, if Im not mistaken, 'twas older folk that bought Scions.

Scion was not introduced in Canada. Only the last couple of years of the Scion brand did Toyota bring Scion to Canada.

I hardly know anything about the brand and its cars.  Im not that interested in the brand anyways to tell you the truth.

5 minutes ago, Paolino said:

You can get rain-sensing wipers on a Yaris, and yet still not on a loaded LaCrosse.

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

I'm sorry; I don't get automating something you're looking directly at/thru. How could a driver possibly be unaware it's raining?

IMO, having an 'object in trunk' monitor/warning makes more sense than rain-sensing wipers.

I think automated wipers are supposed to be luxury things to which entitled and cuddled folk dont have to flick a switch or toggle a button or swipe a lever to switch on the wipers for the wipers to sweep back and forth to clear the rain from the windshield.  Too much work apparently.

Also, if Im not mistaken, the Cadillac and Buick versions from the 1990s also adjusted automatically, the frequency of the back and forths so as not to disturb the driver for him to adjust the frequency himself. Too much trouble to set the intermittent switch. Yes. Yes. the intermittent frequency is NEVER accurate no matter what level you set it on. I guess automatically, problem is solved?

If  the Yaris comes with automated wipers, Its a big leap forward for when I remembered this one

Related image

or very similar. The button itself rings a bell to me if not the whole set-up. I remember it on one of my dad's 1970s GM vehicles.

Was it the 1974 Impala or the 1979 Impala?  I know the 1970 GTO he had did not use this switch as the washer function was on the foot-well on the bottom.  On the left.

Am I jealous that a lowly Yaris will have automated wipers?

Nah!

I love to be in control. In total control of my vehicle. I love to drive. Me. Drive. And do all the things by myself. The only thing manual I dont like is manual transmissions. The ONLY automated part of driving I prefer is the automatic transmission.  I even dont mind me cranking up the roll up windows.

Image result for GM W-408 Window Crank Handle

I remember this crank fondly! 1979 Impala had this. The 1974 Impala had electric windows...and a white vinyle top.

Good times!

Edited by oldshurst442

Since Im going down memory lane, the dome light  from 1970s GM vehicles is also what I miss.

Image result for 1970s GM light dome

I remember putting my little finger in the middle of that star pattern.

I also remember the 1979 Impala having circle rings as a pattern instead of a star.

Good times!

• Only thing I'm aware of down in the left footwell is the headlight dimmer- same place it was for 75 years. I'm positive the washer was never foot-operated on Pontiacs in that era. My brother's '71 GTO has the dimmer switch there also.
    • I would guess that wiper switch was from the '74, font looks very similar to what was in my '72 Riviera.
    • I know that dome light well- dad's '70 Catalina had the same one.
    • I remember looking over his shoulder as he drove that '70 and looking at that red-lit Indian Head high beam indicator. I was sorely disappointed our '77 Cat only had a blue square. I believe Pontiac was preserving it's trademark- they took all Indian-logos off the outside after '55, but kept it as the high beam indicator until '77.

Could it be that the washer was an aftermarket affair?

Or could it be that my memory is foggy and  Im remembering the headlight dimmer instead?  I was born in 1973. My dad totaled the GTO in 1977. I was but 4 years old. Yes, I do remember the car. Very faint memories, so the details are fuzzy.   But I swear I remember stepping on it myself and windshield washer fluid would spurt out. (Out of somewhere because that detail is forgotten.)    Would it be two black nozzles on the hood where the hood vents were. Just above those hood vents?

yes. blue square. You triggered another memory there! :)

Edited by oldshurst442

* No- no aftermarket washer system- just wasn't done in my experience/knowledge. '70 GTO had a dedicated cut-out in the lower dash for the wiper switch, I believe they all had the push-function for washers. Yes- would've been twin metal nozzles aimed at the windshield from the cowl vents.
    • Looks like the Goat had a generic light-up bar on the speedo, right under '70', rather than the big car's Indian Head indicator. I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars. ;)
    • Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Just to let you hooligans know... Toyota is putting a camera mirror in the 2019 RAV4 Limited... the very same tech we ooh and aaah over very recently in the most expensive Cadillacs.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

• Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Thanx for all this info!!!   :thumbsup:

I laughed with this quote.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Seeing that I LOVE the GM A-Body ( I also LOVE the ALL the GM fullsizers of that time too but dream car of all time is a 1970 442...) Im kinda embarrassed by that statement. I respect your opinion on cars, and I do NOT want that statement to be true! Ill just pretend I did not see you write it up...

You see, in my own little world, the 1970 442 is just the greatest thing on earth. The Best Balthy!  The Best!

Image result for the best jerry the best gif

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks.

This statement had me not only LOL-ing...but LMAO-ing! Several notches above that actually.  LMFAO level to be accurate.

And yes. The Yaris SUCKS!

:Toyota:

Edited by oldshurst442

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rain sensing wipers aren't about the on-off, though that's nice.  Rain sense is that the car automatically adjusts the wipe interval while driving depending on the intensity of the rain.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago?

It's offered on other Buick models currently.  It was standard on my parents 2006 Lucerne CXL.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, balthazar said:

You've never had your wipers at a certain speed only to have a car plow a wave of water at your windshield?  The rainsense usually reacts quicker than you... or how about being at a red light and hearing the wiper chatter go over a mostly dry windshield because it's drizzling, but you stopped... but the wipers are on a preset intermittent cycle?  Or how about when the weather keeps changing between downpours and lighter rain... and your wipers just take care of it because they're automatic...

• Wave of water? Sure; I've had that happen. NBD, it runs right off/ Rain-X/ wipers are on intermittent anyway. Never felt the necessity to panic-hit the wipers to full blast. Remember; I was already looking right  thru my windshield, so I know what's out there even if obscured for a few seconds.
    • Wiper chatter? Very very seldom; I usually get comments from passengers I don't have the wipers running fast enough, not too fast.

I just don't feel I'm yet helpless enough I can't address these few scenarios myself.

2 hours ago, Paolino said:

I get the autosense wipers, but like @balthazar I do not miss not having it as I rainX my windshields and all the auto's have it fly off faster than a wiper. Kinda like going Warp Speed.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

My only problem with RainX is you have to like drive at least 30-40 before it really starts blowing the water off the windshield--which means it's useless in city driving/traffic which I'm in daily.  And in my own experience, the wiper blade would streak across the windshield when you used it at lower speeds, rather than smoothly wipe the windshield--otherwise I loved it.

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Oh it definitely works.  I like using it on my side/rear windows... water flies off it when you hit a certain speed like you're in the dryer of a car wash.  When not flying off, I'd say it beads up more like a freshly-waxed car.  You have to reapply every now and then, but it's a good product.

1 minute ago, Paolino said:

I'll have to check it out..wipers were a rarely used feature in the desert, but I do use them often in NE Ohio...

Oh yeah- Rain-X is one of those very few products that works better than you expect. Last 1-2 months, depending. Now Rain-X has product-infused wiper blades, tho I haven't tried them.
    In mixed driving with a good application of Rain-X, you can almost use you wipers about a third or more LESS often. The water beads tightly, so it either blows off upward (@ speed), or trickles downward at low speeds. I don't apply it regularly enough.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Ive got the Rain-X wipers too. I dont find them being all that different from regular wipers. But then again, I never did go through the trouble of using the wet napkins(or whatever was in that package) that come with the wipers to coat my windshield...so I guess I dont get that bead effect. Maybe I should have done it? Or not...

But on the issues of automatic wipers...

Im on Balty's side on that.

Ill even quote him...

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Because whether the water beads on my windshield or not...what Balthy said!!!

EDIT:

I just realized you folk are actually talking about an actual Rain-X coating product.\

I did not know that existed. I thought it was just a brand of wipers that came with a one-time application...

COOL!

Next time Im at Canadian Tire, tomorrow basically, I will look for this and I will buy it!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Yes it works and works well. Key important step that many get impatient about, Once you wipe it on the windshield, you have to do it like a wax job and work it over the glass and then let it dry. Depending on Humidity, it can be a few min to an hour.

Once it is dry you buff it to a shine and in slow or fast speed, it just beads up and rolls off.

14 hours ago, Paolino said:

Are you really letting the RainX dry to a haze and get fully dry?

Once it is dry and you buff it to a shine, even in low speed it just beads up and rolls off. I do my windshields once a week and never have a problem with them in slow speed or high speed traffic and I never have it streak.

I buy it in the bulk pack from Costco with two spray bottles and a refill bottle.

See the source image

@oldshurst442 The great thing about the spray is once you do it once a week, it builds up on the windshield and then during winter time you can go every other week, but it just beads up the water. I Put on a pair of Bosch Wipers every other year as RainX is that good at extending the life of the wiper.

No skipping, no streaking, Just make sure to let it dry and buff it to a shine. Then Enjoy the Warp Speed effect. Wife Loves that the beads fly off at Freeway speed and she uses the wipers on delay.

Heavy splash of water also clears fast.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:46 PM, riviera74 said:

Why did Toyota create Scion?

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I believe they were created for a sporty and young persons car. this was supposed to be their "youth" brand with the quirky xB and xA that were supposedly very customize-able from the factory.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:09 PM, balthazar said:

I think it is more about the automatic adjusting to the amount of rain falling rather than initially turning them on that makes them nice. Rain slows down, they slow down, rain picks up for 45 seconds, they pick up for 45 seconds...etc.

Personally, I could care less about them.

You are spot on about the Scion brand.

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

No, it works AMAZINGLY! I'd VERY highly recommend doing it to your windshield. In light rain I don't use my wipers and some times in the morning after it rains I like to see at what speed does all of the rain come off my of windshield.. around 40-45 if you're wondering lol.

Once a week?!?!? I only feel like I need to once a year.. and once I apply it I usually just buy the additive for my washer fluid and that works plenty well.

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's a luxury item that is hard to live without once you've had it a while.  In @Paolino's case, he had it on his old Lacrosse and I believe his parent's Lucerne and is wondering why it isn't on the new one.

The easiest way to apply Rainex is to buy the rainex washer fluid and use as normal.

Seattle does rain more often than other places, so that could be why I use it so much more often. The RainX washer fluid works well to keep the windshield treatment lasting longer but still it does wear off.

Isn't just using the Rain-X washer fluid only going to coat the sweep area of the wipers? Yeah, I would think so.

It still works well enough for me.

It still works well enough for me.

To be honest, I never heard of the Rain-X washer fluid... does it spot up the non-wiper portion of the windshield when you use it and it sprays out?

6 minutes ago, Paolino said:

No at least for me it does not. Good solid wiper fluid to use. I like using it in addition to the RainX applied fluid to the whole windshield. I have crystal clear vision with it even on the passes with all the salt solution they use.

PPL who drive this will be pleasantly surprised if they are coming out of any other bottom end Toyota product.

Next up on the review vehicle playlist here at C&G's Detroit Bureau is the 2020 Toyota 86, a vehicle I haven't driven since it was called the Scion FR-S. A lot has changed with this model aside from its name since the one I drove back in 2013. The styling has been refreshed, various tweaks made the suspension, and minor updates to the interior. What hasn't changed is the 2.0L boxer-four from Subaru that produces 205 horsepower and 156 pound-feet of torque. My test vehicle has the standard six-speed manual.
      The as-tested price for this 86 comes to $34,783, partly due to a couple of TRD options being fitted. Here's some first impressions,
      The 2.0L boxer-four isn't a great sounding to begin with, sounding like a bucket of bolts being shaken. The optional TRD exhaust only makes the noise worse. Handling is still this car's strong suit, offering minimal body roll and crisp steering. The touchscreen radio is very barebones, but does offer Apple CarPlay. I'll have more thoughts throughout the week, and will be doing my best to answer various questions from you.

The Toyota Tundra holds the title of being the oldest full-size truck, coming in at thirteen years without any sort of redesign. On one hand, this makes the Tundra a very reliable and dependable truck. On the other hand, the Tundra isn’t able to fully compete with the likes GM, Ram, or Ford with their more modern designs and hardware. But there is one exception to this where the Tundra can be a good alternative to the Detroit Three, and it comes in the form of the TRD Pro.
      Color can do a lot to a vehicle such as making an older model look modern or highlighting some of the polarizing elements of a design. This Army Green paint, which is new on all TRD Pros for 2020 makes the Tundra look younger and a bit more aggressive.  Inside, you can tell that the Tundra is getting up there in age. The design hasn’t changed much and material quality cannot even compare to the likes of GM and Ram’s trucks. But I like the large buttons and knobs for various controls. Not only does it make it easier to find, but it means you can have a set of gloves on and easily control various aspects. One key improvement for 2020 is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto being added to the Tundra’s Entune system, which gives drivers another choice in their infotainment choices. The Crewmax model seen here is huge. Step into the back seat and you might think you entered a limo with an endless amount of head and legroom on offer. I do wish the seats had a little bit more padding. Only one engine is available on the 2020 Tundra; a 5.7L V8 with 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. This is teamed with a six-speed automatic and four-wheel drive. This engine provides plenty of thrust and provides an engine burble that you might expect from one of the Detroit three’s V8 trucks. The automatic is very smooth when changing gear and seems to where it needs to be in any situation. The downside to this V8 is fuel economy. The EPA says TRD Pro CrewMax will return 13 City/17 Highway/14 Combined. I saw an average of 14.2 mpg during my week of a 60/40 mix of highway and city driving. Maybe a couple more gears for the automatic could improve this. Toyota has kitted the Tundra TRD Pro with some serious off-road chops; Fox internal bypass dampers for all four corners, TRD springs that increase wheel travel, and a set of Michelin LTX off-road tires. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try it off-road. But other reviewers who have taken it off the beaten path report the TRD Pro is very capable.  What I can report is the changes to the suspension makes for a surprisingly comfortable ride. This suspension does mean you will experience a fair amount of body roll when cornering, but that is to be expected with a truck like this. My Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax starts at $52,780. With some accessories and destination, the price climbs $55,020. The Tundra is getting long in the tooth as evidenced by the interior and poor fuel economy from the V8 engine. But the TRD Pro helps freshen the Tundra a bit and makes a compelling option for those who plan on spending more time off the beaten path. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Tundra, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Tundra
      Trim: TRD Pro CrewMax
      Engine: 5.7L DOHC 32-Valve i-FORCE V8
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $52,780
      As Tested Price: $55,020 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:

Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $52,780
      As Tested Price: $55,020 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Chrome Tube Steps - $535.00
      Stainless Steel Door Edge Guard - $140.00
      Door Sill Protector - $70.00
      (Author's Note: For those wondering where the 2021 Bronco story is, that will be up sometime tomorrow morning. There is a lot to digest, and need some more time to figure out how to structure that. Stay tuned. -WM).
      If the standard Bronco is a bit out of your reach, then Ford has another option in the form of the 2021 Bronco Sport. Yes, it is based on the Escape platform, but Ford is very adamant this us a very different animal.
      Lets begin with the dimensions. The Bronco Sport measures 172.7 inches in length and rides on 105.1 inch wheelbase - 7.8 and 1.6 inches shorter than the Escape. But the Sport is about an inch wider and is taller in terms of ground clearance (7.8 to 8.8 inches depending on the trim). Design-wise, the Sport looks very rugged with a boxy shape. chunky c-pillar, and a deep cut in the doors. The roof is raised slightly higher towards the back, reminding us of the first and second-generation Land Rover Discovery. This allows for better headroom and more cargo space.
      The only items that the Bronco Sport and Escape share inside are the switchgear. Everything else is unique to Bronco Sport such as the steering wheel featuring a bucking Bronco, MOLLE webbing on the back of the front seats to allow owners to attach various items, and optional rubberized floor. An eight-inch touchscreen with SYNC 3 comes standard.
      Power will come from two engines. A turbo 1.5L three-cylinder providing 181 horsepower and 190 pound-feet of torque come standard on the base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks. The Badlands and 2021 model year only First Edition get the 2.0L turbo-four with 245 hp and 275 lb-ft. All with come with an eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive. Like the larger Bronco, the Sport gets a range of drive modes called GOAT (Goes Over Any Type of Terrain). Controlled via a knob in the center console, a driver can select from five different modes - Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery, and Sand. Badlands and First Edition add Mud/Ruts and Rocks.
      Surprisingly, Ford has announced pricing for the Bronco Sport. The base model begins at $28,155 including a $1,495 destination charge. The rest are as followed,
      Big Bend: $29,655 Outer Banks: $33,655 Badlands: $34,155 First Edition: $39,995 The first Bronco Sports are expected to arrive in dealers this fall, but you can put in a reservation right now with a $100 deposit. Though, we would wait a bit as Ford's servers are having some issues dealing with the load of everyone trying to put a reservation for the standard Bronco.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

ALL-NEW FORD BRONCO SPORT RUGGED SMALL SUV EQUIPPED FOR TRAILS WITH STANDARD 4X4 AND BUILT WILD CAPABILITY AND CONFIDENCE
      The Bronco of small SUVs: All-new Ford Bronco Sport expands the rugged Bronco family of 4x4-only vehicles, giving more outdoor adventurers Bronco off-road capability, durability and technology Built Wild™: With standard 4x4 across the lineup, Bronco Sport lives up to its G.O.A.T. (goes over any type of terrain) heritage with Built Wild Extreme Durability Testing, Capability and Innovative Design to deliver unsurpassed ground clearance, made-for-the-trails approach and departure angles, water fording, obstacle protection and segment-first trail technologies Thrilling: Bronco Sport SUV enables exciting, high-speed off-road driving thanks to its Bronco-specific variant architecture, Bronco design DNA, available 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine targeting segment-best horsepower and torque, and advanced 4x4 system with class-exclusive twin-clutch rear-drive unit with a differential lock feature Ready for fun: Class-exclusive features designed for life on the trails include safari-style roof enabling class-leading headroom and a cargo area high enough to hold two 27.5-inch-wheel mountain bikes; more than 100 factory-backed and aftermarket accessories are available to transport gear such as kayaks, surfboards, skis and camping equipment Reservations: Open now for $100 at ford.com DEARBORN, Mich., July 13, 2020 – The all-new Ford Bronco Sport off-road vehicle – the Bronco of small SUVs – signals for adventure-seekers a welcome return to roads and trails less traveled.
      With unmistakable Bronco styling and unrelenting Bronco capability, the smaller sibling of Bronco two-door and first-ever four-door SUVs joins the family with its own idea of fun. As with all Broncos, 4x4 is standard, and this rugged SUV is engineered to handle whatever weekend adventure its owner has in mind.
      “Bronco Sport has the toughness and smarts to help turn off-road novices into 4x4 pros,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford chief product development and purchasing officer. “Bronco Sport embraces the needs of outdoor enthusiasts – every inch of it was designed and engineered with weekend adventurers in mind.”
      Bronco Sport is smartly designed to transport two mountain bikes standing up in its cargo area – and two cyclists up front. Four available accessory bundles – in addition to more than 100 factory-backed standalone accessories – let owners easily make the vehicle their own by outfitting it to transport kayaks, skis, camping equipment or whatever gear propels their adventure.
      Five trim levels are available, including the base model, Big Bend™, Outer Banks™, Badlands™ and First Edition™.
      Reservations for Bronco Sport open today at ford.com; vehicles can be reserved for $100.
      Vehicles arrive in dealerships late this year.
      Built Wild 4x4 confidence
      Like the larger Bronco, the all-new Bronco Sport delivers the 4x4 off-road capability that made the original Bronco a legend. With off-road performance at its core, Bronco Sport provides solid footing on sand, snow, mud, rocks and more.
      For maximum off-road capability and long-term durability, Bronco Sport was tested in extreme conditions in places such as the Johnson Valley desert in California, as part of Built Wild Extreme Durability Testing. Badlands and First Edition models pack an advanced 4x4 system with a class-exclusive twin-clutch rear-drive unit with a differential lock feature to allow greater off-road performance – similar to a traditional mechanical locking differential. The system can divert virtually all rear axle torque to either wheel, setting it apart from any other vehicle in the non-premium subcompact utility segment.
      Bronco Sport’s suspension can take on rugged terrain and is complemented by Ford’s trail technologies. The small SUV’s Terrain Management System™ with up to seven available G.O.A.T. Modes™ helps drivers “go over any type of terrain” and in various conditions. Standard modes include Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery and Sand; Mud/Ruts and Rock Crawl modes are available on Badlands and First Edition.
      All models feature an independent front and rear suspension engineered and performance-tested in demanding environments across North America. The suspension is optimized to help drivers confidently maintain vehicle composure while aggressively taking on rugged terrain.
      On Badlands and First Edition series, the system includes uniquely tuned front struts with hydraulic rebound stops designed to provide a quieter, less jarring off-road experience. In addition, 46-millimeter-diameter monotube rear shocks are among the largest in the class, helping provide improved response and more comfort off-road, while softer springs and antiroll bars offer greater articulation over obstacles.
      Class-exclusive Trail Control™ technology furthers the vehicle’s off-road prowess. The available feature enables a cruise control-like setting up to 20 mph forward and 6 mph in reverse for vehicle-controlled throttle and braking, letting the driver stay focused on navigating the trail.
      For adventurers taking on rough and rocky terrain, the small SUV’s design includes made-for-the-trails departure, approach and breakover angles. An available class-exclusive front off-road camera with lens washer serves as a spotter and helps provide better visibility of the trail ahead, displaying the video on the center stack-mounted touch screen.
      In Rock Crawl mode, the electronic power steering assist system is uniquely calibrated to provide more precise control and help reduce steering wheel disturbance during low-speed maneuvers over rocky terrain.
      Off-road capability is further reinforced by four steel bash plates, plus available frame-mounted front tow hooks that can individually withstand static loads up to 100 percent of the gross vehicle weight. Badlands and First Edition can wade through up to 23.6 inches of water.
      Thrilling performance borne of Bronco DNA
      Staying true to the DNA of the first-generation Bronco, the all-new Bronco Sport SUV pays it forward with modern, heritage-inspired style, agile off-road architecture and optimized suspension for better control in all environments.
      The Badlands and First Edition series are powered by a 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine that produces a targeted best-in-class 245 horsepower and 275 lb.-ft. of torque for high-speed off-road performance*. Base, Big Bend and Outer Banks series feature the proven 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine with a targeted 181 horsepower and 190 lb.-ft. of torque*.
      Both engines are paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission, while Bronco Sport Badlands and First Edition add SelectShift® with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters to help drivers maximize control both on- and off-road. A cooling system with additional transmission and rear-drive coolers keeps 2.0-liter models running strong over tough terrain.
      The Bronco Sport SUV’s design inspiration is directly linked to the all-new Bronco halo model. Its rugged design attributes include signature encapsulated cartridge grille, round headlamps, clean, flat bodysides, and timeless proportions that enable the short front and rear overhangs required for off-road maneuvers. Tough unpainted finishes smartly cover exterior contact points, so the vehicle is ready for almost anything the rough and tumble outdoors can throw at it.
      The Badlands series comes standard with 28.5-inch all-terrain tires. First Edition comes standard with 29-inch all-terrain off-road tires with more aggressive, deeper treads that stretch on to the sidewalls for improved off-road traction.
      Ready for fun to venture into the wild
      Human-centered design led to special Bronco Sport features such as class-exclusive liftgate LED floodlamps – because out in the wild, there are no streetlamps – MOLLE straps to carry extra gear, zippered seatback pockets for additional stowage, and even a built-in bottle opener in the cargo area.
      Its upright design and safari-style roof contribute to Bronco Sport’s adventurous silhouette, which not only features a long flat roof rail for maximum carrying length, it also treats occupants to best-in-class first- and second-row headroom. The cargo area has enough height to accommodate two standing 27.5-inch-wheel mountain bikes with the available Yakima dealer-installed interior bike rack accessory.
      Bronco Sport will launch with more than 100 factory-backed and aftermarket accessories for maximum personalization, enabling dealers to provide outfitting-on-demand for each owner’s individual adventure needs. Bronco Sport buyers can also opt for any of four lifestyle accessory bundles themed Bike, Snow, Water and Camping.
      A flip-glass rear window, low-load floor cargo area, overlanding-ready roof rack with capacity to make roof-top tent camping easy, and front fender peaks that allow the driver to see the corners of the vehicle easily from behind the wheel reveal this small SUV is purpose-built for adventure from front to back, top to bottom.
      Bronco Sport can quickly help with basecamp setup thanks to an innovative slide-out working table, part of the available five-way configurable Cargo Management System, plus a class-exclusive 400-watt inverter and liftgate floodlamps that illuminate up to 129 square feet for when the adventure ends after sundown.
      To make post-adventure cleanups painless, the Badlands and First Edition series offer washable rubber flooring throughout the cabin and cargo area, easy-to-clean cloth seating surfaces and silicone-sealed control switches. For stowage of wet, icy or muddy gear, an available storage bin is located below the second-row passenger-side seat.
      Smart in addition to being rugged, the vehicle features a SYNC® 3 system with an 8-inch touch screen and compatibility with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™. Other available technology features include Ford+Alexa and SiriusXM™ satellite radio.
      The Ford Co-Pilot360™ suite of advanced driver-assist technologies is standard across the lineup, including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking featuring Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Dynamic Brake Support, Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane-Keeping System, Auto High Beam Headlamps and a rearview camera. Available Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ technology includes Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane-Centering, Evasive Steering Assist and voice-activated touch screen navigation. Available Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 technology adds Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go, Lane-Centering and Speed Sign Recognition.

1. jlbunting
      jlbunting

There are no registered users currently online