Toyota Yaris Bids Farewell To U.S. After 2020

We hardly knew you Yaris and Yaris Hatchback

The Toyota Yaris and Yaris Hatchback will be no more in the U.S. come the end of June. That's according to a leaked memo posted to Reddit and found by CarBuzz. Sent to "All Southeast Toyota Dealers and General Managers" by Toyota, the memo says the Yaris will "cease production" at the end of June.

"The Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback will not be available for model year 2021. Model year 2020 will be the last year for Yaris. June 2020 will be the last month of production for the Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback for the US," wrote Christine N. Henley, Toyota North America's Western Communications Manager in the memo.

Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;

"The entry-subcompact segment has new regulations that require additional homologation. Those regulations, coupled with declining sales in the segment, are some of the reasons behind the decision."

(Author's Note: We're wondering what Toyota means by the statement we bolded here, and we'll update if we get some sort of clarification. -WM).

The declining sales makes sense as Toyota only moved 21,917 Yaris models in 2019, down 5,293 units when compared to 2018. To give more perspective, the Corolla moved 304,850 units last year.

So if you're interested an affordable Toyota, we would hurry down to your nearest dealer ASAP.

Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver

Weird, I would love to know what they mean by new regulations as like many I have not seen any new regulations about the subcompact market.

I think due to the price difference, most people can easily justify the extra couple dollars a month for the bigger Corolla over the Yaris.

I do think due to the safety equipment required on all auto's, it makes less sense in the US and Europe where this safety gear is required to build subcompact auto's or smaller.

I would not be surprised to see old horse and buggy type streets become pedestrian / bike only roads in the future. Here in  Seattle they have changed the few remaining old roads like this to just pedestrian / Bike roads only and we have been told they will not go back to allowing auto's of any size on them.

Yaris was an Fugly subcompact that to me failed in way too many ways. Makes sense to kill it off.

Yaris sales fell off a cliff, compared to Corolla and especially the RAV-4 and the CH-R.  Nobody buys new subcompact cars because they can buy a used compact for the same price.  I doubt there will be any subcompacts in the US market after a couple of years.  NOBODY will miss the Yaris at all.

7 minutes ago, loki said:

is the "mazda 2" still to be sold?

Well Mazda hasn't sold the 2 in the US for several years, it didn't survive the model changeover.  I am sure the 2 will still be sold worldwide.

Add 3 inch of lift with 2 inches of plastic body cladding, raise price $5k and call it Yaris Active Cross X and you have sales fire!

Yaris is a well known Toyota nameplate in Europe.  For their purposes - compactness, efficiency, economy - they seem to work.  They were really ugly when they got introduced to the U.S.  They've become less so over the years.  However, they're on their way out.

The most recent US-market Yaris was a rebadged Mazda 2, probably drove better than previous Yarii.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I honestly have not seen a Yaris on the road in a long time (like, several years).  Too many RAV-4s and CR-Vs instead.  Only in the USA is a subcompact treated as a penalty box, especially in light of the used car market.  Nobody wants a subcompact car.

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

The problem in the US is subcompacts tend to be cheap, nasty and vile inside--gray plastic, and noisy, slow and unpleasant to drive.  A larger used car at the same price is always a better buy, IMO.

The only ones I can think of on the market that have nice interiors and might be pleasant to drive are the Mini and Fiat 500, but they have a lot of other quality/reliability issues.

30 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Might is the key and so far the Fiat's that new out of college coworkers bought, they quickly traded in within the same year of buying as the interiors sucked due to cheapness and quality problems. Mini, has a fan base, but unless your part of that hard core fan base, they really are over rated attempts by BMW to sell a cheap subcompact at luxury prices with nothing but garbage interiors to small people. The Seattle area has seen the independent Mini dealers all go away as they were sold and merged into the BMW dealerships and are now just a side foot note for that small crowd of people who have European Fantasy about their summer trip with a rental Mini in Europe.

Honestly, I think Mini as well as Fiat will be gone by 2030 if not 2025 in the US.

The Fiesta ST is supposed to drive quite nicely from what I've read..  this trim looks decent..though regular Fiestas seem to be the usual subcompact gray plastic despair hell inside.   I really don't like small cars, but this looks like it could be fun..manual, zippy.

2019-ford-fiesta-st-infotainment-system-carbuzz-473189.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall

There is actually a Yaris Crossover coming, I forgot I had scene a picture of it.  It would slot below the CH-R I think.  So Toyota will have:

Yaris Cross

CH-R

Rav4

Venza

Highlander

4Runner

Sequoia

Land Cruiser

8 SUVs and they aren’t even into crossover coupes yet.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

2019-ford-fiesta-st-infotainment-system-carbuzz-473189.jpg

That's the old Fiesta

Yaris Cross

CH-R

Rav4

Venza

Highlander

4Runner

Sequoia

Land Cruiser

8 SUVs and they aren’t even into crossover coupes yet.

So a Movie Scene is where you saw this Yaris? 🤔

45 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

That's the old Fiesta

2019 US spec.  The US never got the 'new' Fiesta.

ocnblu

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

2019 US spec.  The US never got the 'new' Fiesta.

The new one is really nice.  Would love to have a 3-door ST if I could simultaneously keep my truck.

Edited by ocnblu

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

There is actually a Yaris Crossover coming, I forgot that I had seen a picture of it.  It would slot below the CH-R I think.

Yaris Cross

20200423_02_02_s.jpg

2021-toyota-yaris-cross_100745479_h.jpg

You know what *brainstorm* maybe the Yaris is leaving, but the Yaris Cross is replacing it in the USA!

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yaris Cross

20200423_02_02_s.jpg

2021-toyota-yaris-cross_100745479_h.jpg

Yes, that's it.  Look how off road and rugged it is.  They could sell those for double the price of a Yaris because it has plastic cladding and a black roof.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

That Yaris Cross here in this market makes a lot more sense than the current Yaris.  Arguably for the same reason Ford and GM have largely abandoned cars for CUVs and SUVs.

Supposedly not coming here, but I’ve read that Toyota is adding another CUV for the US of similar size to the C-HR

Toyota should bring out the Eco Cross Sport, which would be a 2 door version of the Yaris Cross with a center mounted speedometer.  And then the Solara CC (convertible crossover).

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Toyota Echo rather.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Toyota Echo rather.

Toyota Echo failed here too.  I have not seen one since the '90s.

100% need a Corolla Cross and a Camry Cross, and a Sienna Cross Coupe.  If they had a crossover coupe van with a fastback roofline, they could sell them out at $80k per unit.  They should do a Supra Cross too, there are a lack of 2-seat SUVs on market right now.

balthazar

Posted (edited)

Corolla cross isn’t a so-called ‘crossover  coupe’, and good thing; they sell terribly compared to the regular CUVs. Look at BMW...

Edited by balthazar

Exactly.  Crossover coupes really suck.

GUYS... even smk is capable of sarcasm.  He looked through his three-pointed gunsight and shot a bullseye!

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Chevy really needs a good crossover coupe--I think they need to be bold and do a Corvette crossover coupe....a rugged mid-engined 2 seat SUV--that would be bold.  Something that would make the Lambo Urus look weak.

Edited by Robert Hall

There are already renderings of a Corolla Cross pickup similar to the Subaru Baja.

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

What I am seeing is more mini Elcamino / Australia knock off. I find corolla crossovers and pickups but nothing baja related. Please post the drawings / pictures.

image.png

image.png

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

That's fake, though...looks like the actual Corolla Cross will be a CH-R sized CUV with normalized styling.

That bad Toyota copy of an El Camino is simply hideous!  Toyota is not that stupid.  Are they?

8 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Those are just fanboy illustrations, nothing real...that Corolla nose in the second pic is from 15 years ago...just delusions from dreamers on the internet.

Edited by Robert Hall

First off, sorry for not posting an interactive review last week. My day job kept me busy and I needed some time to recharge. Nevertheless, you'll be hearing more about the Lexus RC F and its yellow paint color in a few weeks time as a quick drive review. In the meantime, let me introduce to latest vehicle to enter C&G's Detroit garage, the 2020 Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate.
      This packs a 5.0L V8 engine with 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, paired with an eight-speed automatic. My test car is rear-wheel drive, but you can order all-wheel drive. The Ultimate brings everything to the G90, minus the kitchen sink. There is power-adjustable rear seats with memory; power window shades, 12-3-inch infotainment system, adaptive cruise control with stop and go; and much more. Price? $76,695 with a $995.00 freight charge.
      Now this weeklong evaluation didn't get off to the best of starts. I got a flat tire on the first night as I was driving home from an errand. I don't know if I picked up a nail or something in the tire, but it had to be replaced. A big thank you goes out to Driveshop (the company who is providing all of these vehicles for this run) and Suburban Genesis and Hyundai for getting this done in about a day.
      Once over that, here are some first impressions.
      I can't help but think of the Lincoln Contiental with the G90's design in terms of the profile and certain design touches. The large diamond shape grille doesn't look as comical as it does in pictures. But I can see it being a point of contention. I do wish Genesis had added the 12.3-inch digital cluster that will be going into the upcoming G80 and GV80. V8 is very smooth and quiet, though the twin-turbo V6 is slightly quicker. I'll have more updates throughout the next few days, barring any other sort of incident. In the meantime, if you have questions, drop them below and I'll do my best to answer them.

Once over that, here are some first impressions.

Taking the place of the Toyota 86 this week at the Cheers & Gears' Detroit bureau is the 2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited. A car which I have been wanting to drive since it made its North American debut last spring at the New York Auto Show. The new model solves one of the biggest criticisms I had with the last-generation model, a very boring and plain design. Taking it out last night, I was noticing people glancing at this midsize sedan.
      Power comes from a turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder producing 180 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic. The as-tested price is a surprising $34,465 considering what you get on this including Smart Park, 10.25-inch touchscreen, heads-up display, heated/cooled seats, and more.
      Some first impressions,
      Hyundai has provided an Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) so various writers can try the digital key, which allows a smartphone to take the place of the actual key. I haven't tried it in place of the key yet, but I'm having some confidence issues with it. Whenever I try to connect the phone with car from inside the house, it cannot find the vehicle. I know I'm within range - 10 meters or 32 feet. So far, I have been able to connect with the vehicle once. The interior in my Limited tester is very impressive. Handsome design, quality materials, and roomy. Fuel economy is one area I wasn't expecting to be this good - currently seeing around 33 mpg. I'll have more updates throughout the Sonata's stay, including Smart Park and Digital Key. In the meantime, drop your questions below.

Some first impressions,

Next up on the review vehicle playlist here at C&G's Detroit Bureau is the 2020 Toyota 86, a vehicle I haven't driven since it was called the Scion FR-S. A lot has changed with this model aside from its name since the one I drove back in 2013. The styling has been refreshed, various tweaks made the suspension, and minor updates to the interior. What hasn't changed is the 2.0L boxer-four from Subaru that produces 205 horsepower and 156 pound-feet of torque. My test vehicle has the standard six-speed manual.
      The as-tested price for this 86 comes to $34,783, partly due to a couple of TRD options being fitted. Here's some first impressions,
      The 2.0L boxer-four isn't a great sounding to begin with, sounding like a bucket of bolts being shaken. The optional TRD exhaust only makes the noise worse. Handling is still this car's strong suit, offering minimal body roll and crisp steering. The touchscreen radio is very barebones, but does offer Apple CarPlay. I'll have more thoughts throughout the week, and will be doing my best to answer various questions from you.