2018 Volkswagen Atlas To Begin At $30,500

• How much will the new Volkswagen Atlas set you back?

Volkswagen dropped the pricing information for the 2018 Atlas crossover arriving at dealers next month and it is right on the nose of the automaker's promise of starting somewhere around $30,000.

The entry-level Atlas S kicks off at $30,500 and comes with a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder producing 235 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Standard equipment includes 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights with LED daytime running lights, rearview camera, 6.5-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and a six-speaker audio system. A 3.6L VR6 with 276 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque adds $1,400 to the price. If you want AWD, be prepared to pony up $33,700 as it is only available with the V6.

Here is how the rest of the Atlas lineup is comprised,

• Atlas S Launch: $33,500 for VR6 FWD, $35,300 for VR6 AWD - Available for a limited time, the S Launch adds a panoramic sunroof, Homelink garage opener, 8-inch infotainment system, and a three-month trial of SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
    • Atlas SE: $33,590 for 2.0T FWD, $34,990 for VR6 FWD, $36,790 for VR6 AWD - Adds automatic headlights, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Blind spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert, push-button start, leatherette upholstery, 10-way power driver's seat, and eight-speaker audio system.
    • Atlas SE with Technology: $35,690 for 2.0T FWD, $37,090 for VR6 FWD, $38,890 for VR6 AWD - Adds adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, forward collision warning with automatic braking, three-zone climate control, power liftgate, and remote start.
    • Atlas SEL: $39,160 for 2.0T FWD, $40,890 for VR6 FWD, $42,690 for VR6 AWD - Adds Easy Open liftgate; 8-way power passenger seat, memory function for driver's seat, Park Distance Control, and an 115V power outlet for second-row passengers.
    • Atlas SEL Premium: $48,490 for VR6 AWD - Adds 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, LED taillights, power folding mirrors, 12.3-inch Volkswagen Digital Cockpit system, navigation, Fender Premium audio system, 360-degree camera system, leather upholstery, ventilated front seats, and heated rear seats.

Source: Volkswagen
    Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN ANNOUNCES PRICING OF CHATTANOOGA-BUILT 2018 ATLAS, STARTING AT $30,500

• The thoughtfully-designed Atlas packs a great value, offering generous space, sophisticated driving dynamics and a host of available driver assistance and technology features
    • Pricing starts at $30,500 for the four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0L TSI® S FWD model (late availability)
    • Five trim levels, priced for the heart of the competitive SUV market
    • Two engine options: four-cylinder TSI® turbo or the available powerful VR6®, both with eight-speed automatic transmissions
    • Optional 4Motion® all-wheel-drive system on V6 models
    • Comfortable seating for up to seven adults, with innovative access system for the third row
    • Available interior features include innovative Volkswagen Digital Cockpit instrumentation
    • Only vehicle in its class to offer Automatic Post-Collision Braking System

HERNDON, VA (April 3, 2017) — Volkswagen of America, Inc., today announced pricing of the all-new, seven-passenger 2018 Atlas. With a starting Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $30,500 for the four-cylinder turbo 2.0L TSI® S FWD model (late availability), and $31,900 for the 3.6-liter V6 S FWD model, the Chattanooga-built SUV is loaded with standard equipment and available technology features. For maximum utility and comfort, the Atlas offers a spacious interior, with innovative access to the third row.

Based on the award-winning Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the Atlas is also fun-to-drive, a signature of Volkswagen vehicles. Atlas models will be available with two engine options, both with an eight-speed automatic transmission: the four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection 2.0-liter TSI engine, which produces 235 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque (achieved using premium fuel), and the 3.6-liter VR6® engine, which makes 276-horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque. An optional 4Motion® all-wheel-drive system is available on VR6 models.

The 2018 Atlas is scheduled to arrive in dealerships in May, and will be available in five trim levels to meet the diverse needs and tastes of U.S. customers.

MODEL LINE UP

Atlas S (Late availability)
    The Atlas TSI S starts at $30,500 and features a standard four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0L TSI engine. Standard exterior features include 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels; stainless-steel roof rails; LED headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL); and a rearview camera. Inside, standard equipment includes a 6.5-inch Composition Color touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth® connectivity for compatible devices, USB port, Car-Net® App-Connect for compatible devices, enabling seamless integration with the three major smartphone platforms—Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™ and MirrorLink®; 6 speakers; cruise control; and privacy glass. A 3.6-liter V6 S FWD model is available for $31,900. A 3.6-liter V6 S AWD model is available for $33,700.

Atlas S Launch (Limited availability)
    Available at launch, and only with the 3.6-liter VR6 engine, the Atlas S Launch model is available as a frontwheel-drive model for $33,500, and with all-wheel drive for $35,300. This model adds the following features to the S trim offerings: panoramic sunroof; Homelink® garage door opener; footwell lighting; 8.0-inch Composition Media touchscreen infotainment system; and SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with a three-month trial subscription.

Atlas SE
    Starting at $33,590, the Atlas SE builds off of the S trim. Features include heated door mirrors; automatic headlights; rain-sensing windshield wipers; Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Traffic Alert; foglights; KESSY® keyless access w/push-button start; multi-function leather-wrapped steering wheel; V-Tex leatherette seating surface; heated front seats; rear sunshades; and 10-way power driver seats. The SE trim also features the 8.0-inch Composition Media touchscreen infotainment system with SiriusXM® Satellite Radio; 8 speakers; and 3 additional USB ports. A 3.6-liter V6 SE FWD model is available for $34,990. A 3.6-liter V6 S AWD model is available for $36,790.

Atlas SE with Technology
    The Atlas SE with Technology model starts at $35,690, and includes a slate of modern convenience and advanced connectivity and driver assistance features, including: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Monitoring (Front Assist); Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively helps the driver steer the car back into its lane if the driver takes his or her hands off the wheel for a defined period of time, or the vehicle crosses a lane marking without use of a turn signal; power liftgate; remote start; Climatronic® 3-zone automatic air conditioning; and an autodimming rearview mirror. A 3.6-liter V6 SE with Technology FWD model is available for $37,090. A 3.6-liter V6 SE with Technology AWD model is available for $38,890.

Atlas SEL
    The Atlas SEL builds on the specifications of the SE with Technology model. For a starting price of $39,160, customers can enjoy even more upscale features: a panoramic sunroof; Easy Open liftgate; 8-way power passenger seat; memory function for driver’s seat and exterior mirrors; front and rear Park Distance Control and a convenient 115v power outlet in the second row (rear of the center console). VR6 models are equipped with a factory-installed tow hitch. A 3.6-liter V6 SEL FWD model is available for $40,890. A 3.6-liter V6 SEL AWD model is available for $42,690.

Atlas SEL Premium
    Available only with 4Motion AWD system and 3.6-liter VR6 engine, the Atlas SEL Premium starts at $48,490. This top-of-the-line model increases the luxury quotient with: the sophisticated 12.3-inch Volkswagen Digital Cockpit, allowing drivers to reconfigure how they view vehicle information; 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels; navigation; LED taillights; power-folding door mirrors; door mirrors with puddle lights; leather seating surfaces; ventilated front seats; heated rear seats; heated steering wheel; automatic High Beam Control (Light Assist); and ambient lighting. The Atlas SEL Premium also adds the following driver assistance and infotainment features: Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist); Area View camera; and the Fender® Premium Audio System, with a 12-channel, 480-watt amplifier and 12 speakers.

Option Packages

Captain’s Chairs. Replacing a second-row bench seat, for a total seating capacity of six, Captain’s Chairs will be available in the SE, SE w/ Technology, SEL and SEL Premium models for $625. (Late availability)

R-Line. A performance-inspired R-Line package will be available on Atlas SE and SEL trims for $1,960, and augments the SUV with exterior and interior design elements that give it an even sportier appearance. (Late availability)

Black Wheels. Black 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels are available on the SEL model for $995 and on the SEL Premium model for $235.

This thing has a strong value proposition in 'S' trim. Especially for anyone placing a higher emphasis on driving dynamics.

S, SE, and SEL Premium seem to be the best trims. I think they should have priced the SEL Premium lower, personally.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Pass on both this and the Honda Pilot. :puke:

So, for the sake of discussion, what would YOU buy in this class?

4 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

So, for the sake of discussion, what would YOU buy in this class?

I'm going to jump in as I like that question as well.. But this is an Explorer/Traverse sized 3 row SUV, right?

Without much research(only enough to find what else is in this category) I would be driving this VW, and Explorer, and a Durango and choosing from there. I really think the R/T Durango's V8 would talk to me but I think this VW looks the best and being the newest it probably does about everything other than have a V8 the best as well. The only Explorer engine that's truly enticing is the 3.5EB and I think you are forced into a fairly high trim to get that.

CX-9 looks great but the lack of power..no thank you.

Holy sh!t... The cheapest I could built an AWD Durango w/ a 5.7 is 45k. The Explorer is another grand for the cheapest 3.5 EB(Sport model).

I realize the VR6 is no 3.5 or 5.7 but it can definitely be had soooo much cheaper.

Smaller than Traverse. Same rough size as the others.

CX-9 looks great but the lack of power..no thank you.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Durango myself. I don't think I'd buy a RWD one, though, and wouldn't buy anything under a GT trim. In AWD you're at 40K for a GT with no Nav, Roof, and the V6. I think I'd go one further and say I'd have to have the V8.

Explorer does nothing for me. It's very pretty to look at, but it's driving dynamics are poor, and the short of the EB V6, powertrains are a letdown. Plus, I hate the dash, and the back is cramped and doesn't offer near the flexibility of competitors.

If I were buying a base model, it'd be an Atlas all day. Higher up, the Durango and Highlander become options. Hard loaded, though, I'd probably go Durang R/T or just step up to a Q7.

3 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Definitely, I feel the exact same. The V8 is what attracts me the most and to get it w/ AWD is at least like 44,600 or so.

4 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I've honestly never looked that far into them as nothing that large has been on a buying list.

Agreed about the engines though, anything below the 3.5EB doesn't seem worth it but saying that makes the VR6 sound not worth it either when looking at the number similarities.

6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I wish the Highlander looked better.. It looks old but not in a good way.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

So, for the sake of discussion, what would YOU buy in this class?

Yes, I would take a Ford Explorer over either of these two. I have test drove over the weekend with my son the Explorer Sport and WOW, was very impressive. He is looking to trade in his jeep for the explorer possibly or upgrade to a GC.

58 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I invite you to test drive a 2017 Explorer Sport Edition. The Sony Premium sound system and instrument is pretty nice. Back seat room is very roomy as my 6'6" tall 280lbs frame was able to sit without my knees hitting the seat in front of me. My daughter and son's girlfriend sat in the third row. Amy, my daughter is 5'8" and had plenty of legroom. Kay is only 4' 11" so tons of room but both thought the third row was very comfy.

Agree that the XLT is a let down, dash design sucks and driving dynamics are Blah. But the Sport with the V6 EB moved and handled aggressive driving with minimal body roll for this SUV. My son and I both agree that the Platinum trim is over priced and not worth it, but the sport trim at $45K was a decent ride and handled so well.

I also like the Durango, but my son is not a fan of the style.

I wish the Highlander looked better.. It looks old but not in a good way.

The VR6 is much more free-revving, sounds better, more linear, and is paired with a much better trans than the V6 Exploder. It's a tremendous difference. That's not even touching the poor ride quality, noise levels, and excessive body motion of the Ford.

I also like the Durango, but my son is not a fan of the style.

I admittedly have not driven a new Sport, but I would cross the Explorer off in general simply for packaging reasons, even if the ho-hum driving dynamics were on par with others in the class.

9 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

So built both a Ford and Dodge and They are pretty close in price, I would rather have a V8 but have to say you get more in the package with the FORD.

2017DodgeRTAWD.jpg

2017FordExplorer.jpg

Honestly, I don't think any vehicles in the segment have much of a driving dynamics. I would rather have some utility and off-road capability, so if I would be buying for myself I probably would look into Durango or Lexus GX460.

However, our family vehicle drives my wife so it will be one of the mommy mobiles.

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

A Durango won't do squat off road with that enormous wheelbase, overhangs, low ground clearance, and big wheels with street tires. Even the GX is greatly hampered compared to what they used to be able to do.

There's no choices outside of the 4Runner and Grand Cherokee if you want something this size with good off-road performance.

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I meant one of the three row CUVs /SUVs.  None of them will be real off road rig but capable enough for mild off road/deep snow we get here in the North East.

4Runner or GC will be better then GX460 off road but they don't have third row (theoretically one trim does but I have never seen one)

Durango has decent AWD system and enough ground clearance.

If we look at other CUVs in the segment then Highlander has crappy AWD, so does the Atlas.  They are basically FWD vehicles and only can send limited amount of power to the rear.  I know a number of people who complained that Highlander worth sh@t in the snow.  New Pilot has better AWD system but small ground clearance.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Oh I'm not even talking about ride or any of that stuff as I've never driven them.

Just looking at both weak n/a v6 numbers in 4500-5000lb vehicles.  I'm just not much of a fan of n/a v6's. But if the trans in the Atlas is anything like the DSG then it's got to be class leading. But it won't be a DCT. Is this a transmission that's in something else already?

Yes, it's in Audis.

18 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yes, it's in Audis.

Not sure why I didn't assume that already...

The price seems pretty compelling if you stay away from the Premium trim.  The SE and SEL still give you a lot and keep it under $40k, which seems good compared to other 3 row SUVs.  VW needs this thing to sell, they have sort of missed out on the crossover boom because the Toureg is more money than a BMW X5 and no one buys it.

I'd probably aim for the Durango myself because Hemi.  This reminds me too much of a Grand Cherokee, so might as well get the real thing... plus... Hemi.

10 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Easily take the Explorer or Acadia (new Version) over this.. not to mention any of the Lambdas.

Explorer yes. New Acadia... eh.  Old Lambda, no. Just get yourself a Tahoe/Yukon, it's just about the same size and you don't have to beat the crap out of the engine just to get the thing to move.  MPG is better too.

Built in Chattanooga?

Yeah...Id rather take a ride on the Chattanooga Choo Choo ...even if its just a song and a tourist attraction going nowhere.

The new Buick Sportsback station wagon is more to my liking. Hey...it is a car.

Edited by oldshurst442

Well I already have the Yukon.. so I was thinking of a change. BTW.. I love the new Acadia. HAve U driven one? Tested out a Denali.. Slick as a Mofo.. and the power was niiiice considering. I would say a TTV6 or V8 would be welcome.. but I say that about the Cruze too.. Yes.. I am saying I would take a Cruze with a LF4 or LT1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

• Popular Stories

One question that we have found ourselves wondering is who blew the whistle on the software cheat Volkswagen was using on their TDI models. A new book says it was someone at Volkswagen of America.
      Automotive News got their hands on Faster, Higher, Farther: The Volkswagen Scandal by New York Times reporter Jack Ewing. In the book, Ewing reveals that the head of VW’s Engineering and Environmental Office in the U.S., Stuart Johnson revealed the existence of the cheat to federal authorities. Johnson was the primary contact for the various regulation agencies in the U.S. and would be one of the people on the front lines when the scandal unfolded.
      In the book, CARB deputy executive director Alberto Ayala named Johnson as the person who revealed the existence of Volkswagen's illegal software. This revelation took place prior to a key meeting between CARB and Volkswagen on August 19, 2015. By revealing this information, Johnson was violating orders given by VW's higher ups. This meeting is mentioned in the federal indictment of Oliver Schmidt, a former VW executive who is facing 11 federal charges dealing with the scandal. Johnson is mentioned in the indictment as “Cooperating Witness 1.”
      The indictment also states the witness “has agreed to cooperate with the government’s investigation in exchange for an agreement that the government will not prosecute CW1 in the United States.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      If the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal hasn't swayed you from wanting one, then you'll be happy to hear Volkswagen will once again be able to sell brand-new 2015 model year TDI models. Green Car Reports says near 11,000 TDI models will soon be back up for sale once they are updated with new software, making them legal.
      Volkswagen does caution those interested in picking up a new TDI to call their nearest dealership to see if they have any in stock.
      But that's not all. Volkswagen is offering some massive discounts on these models. CarsDirect reports that Volkswagen is offering 0% APR for up to 72 months and $5,000 cash bonus if you decide to buy. Interested in leasing one? Volkswagen will offer a cash bonus of $8,500.
      There are a couple of caveats to this offer. First, you need to have an excellent credit history to qualify for either offer. Second is that Volkswagen isn't advertising this offer.
      "We will not be advertising the available incentives from our financing arm as they [sic] vehicle availability will vary per dealership," said Volkswagen spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan.
      Source: Green Car Reports, CarsDirect

Source: Green Car Reports, CarsDirect
      The new Volkswagen Tiguan looks to solve some of the pressing issues of the current model such as its size that puts it between subcompact and compact crossovers. But that doesn't mean the current Tiguan is leaving anytime soon.
      Hendrik Muth, VW’s senior vice president for product marketing tells Car and Driver that the current Tiguan will stick around for 2018 and 2019, wearing the Tiguan Limited nameplate. Muth explained this model will be aimed at more budget-minded buyers and those who don't want the bigger footprint of the new Tiguan. Another reason mentioned in Car and Driver's story is the current Tiguan saw its best sales in 2015 and 2016.
      One item that could put some people off from buying the Tiguan Limited is will not get the  6-year/72,000-mile warranty announced for the 2018 Atlas and Tiguan crossovers. Expect pricing to be announced sometime in the fall.
      Source: Car and Driver