Considering a Lucerne

Yep, that time has come. The quick little mentionings of our '04 Suburban being too much of a gas hog than it's worth have gotten serious. It has trully done an awesome job of carting lots of people and lots of stuff when those times arose, but they too are getting few and far between anymore. And, let's face it, a Suburban is a little excessive for one person's daily commuting--and it's usually just that one person in there 90% of the time.

But, I digress. Gas mileage, of course, is at the top of the requirements list for a prospective replacement. My mother has become a HUGE VW fan lately, especially because of the '05 Jetta TDI diesel a co-worker has that she thinks is beautiful and is amazed by the 40+ mpg. Has said for years her next car will be a "Bug" too, but that's still a bit too small for right now.

So, despite the fact that I've not been the Lucerne's biggest fan for a while, it is now at t the top of the list. She had just recently mentioned a Lacrosse, as she actually does like the looks of them a lot, and everyone knows the 3.8L can be REALLY light on gas. Still, I thought the Lacrosse is too cramped and still not something I'm too found of, so I suggested the Lucerne.

It really is a gorgeous car in person, especially in the right trim/color. Luckily, the local dealer still has about 8 or so CXL V6 models with only one or two options on each--the exact thing we'd want. The couple I went down and looked at today were nice colors as well, and stickered just a little over $28k--which is a steal, especially considering the "real" price would be closer to $25k. They have a new loaded Lacrosse CXS too, which looked very nice, but was $32k and just couldn't be had for as good of a price.

But that's where we're at. Despite my criticisms, I'm VERY impressed with the Lucernes from finally looking at more of them up close, the dealer has a few that would be good matches, the price is nice, the gas mileage is great, etc.

Nothing's at all for sure yet, and it didn't become a serious discussion until today, but I'm going over there again tomorrow at lunch to take one of the CXL V6's out for a spin and to take some pics for her.

Even though I work at a Chevy-Cadillac dealership, some people ask the owner to buy different brands from another dealership for them. On Friday someone wanted a Lucerne, so the owner called up a Buick dealership and bought one for the customer, and I helped clean it up. It was a red CXL V6 and looked great.

I love the Lucerne, and I'm not a large sedan kind of guy. It's sleek, and big looking. Elegantly sporty too, especially in CXS V8 trim. The 3800-powered model serves as an excellent upscale LeSabre replacement. Any dealer who bitches about the array of Lucerne models he's been given to sell ought to get out of the business.

Well, like I said, this dealer (the one we bought the 'Burb from and have all service done at) has about 8, all of which are CXL V6's.

There's a lot of older people around here, so most of them have the front bench option too. Don't think--but haven't asked--that she'd want that, so there are 2 that have the standard buckets.

The two I think would be the BEST match are:

1) White Opal/Cashmere CXL V6 with the 6-CD stereo. Standard graphite wheels, etc.

2) Platinum/Titanium CXL V6 with the Chrome Wheels. Nothing else.

Basically just single optioned cars, both just a tad over $28k--awesome, because that's actually what the price was on the frumpy LeSabre's we were looking at buying 5 years ago, and these cars do NOT look like sub-$30k vehicles.

I like the Cashmere interior more, myself, and the white is very nice and something we tend to like, but she did say she was bored with white and picked out the Platinum when I showed her the colors on the Buick website.

That one is your typical silver/gray car, but it looks VERY nice and the chrome wheels definately make it ritzier than the white one. I'm on the fence about the graphite wheels, especially on a white car, but they still look pretty good.

I went down again tonight with a camera (but, of course, took it without batteries :rolleyes: ) to get some pics, but didn't. Looked them up and down, and like them both, but am leaning more towards the Platinum one myself. Still light and bright like the white, but doesn't show as much muck, looks like a piece of jewelry, and the chromes just make the car.

Can't wait to get down there and drive one tomorrow!

Looks like, right now, there's a $1500 regular rebate and then, at least according to Edmunds, there's an additional $1000 dealer cash if it was invoiced before 4/1/06. No idea how long either of these 2 have been sitting there, but I should be able to find it all out tomorrow.

I've enjoyed the Suburban, as we all have, but a Lucerne would definately be a step up and wouldn't suck gas like it's going out of style...ancient 3.8L, regardless!

Edited by caddycruiser

Yeah, I like them too, and they even look like they might mask brake dust well too.

Just like the chromes more, at least a little. I plan on taking LOTS of pics of both, and seeing what she thinks tomorrow evening.

They also have a Sharkskin one too, with the chromes and a couple other little things that I REALLY, REALLY liked, but it had a bench, and I don't think she likes the darker gray.

Need to find out what the actual rebates are too. Don't think it will be any problem at all getting them to do invoice or a little lower, either.

Might try out the Lacrosse 3.6L too, just for the heck of it, if I have time.

Edited by caddycruiser

Sharkskin is a nice color too. I think the graphyte rims really only compliment the red. Everything else is either too similar (silver, sharkskin) or too drak (blue, black), except for white which definetly looks better with chrome. Couldn't you have them find one for you or go to a different dealership? You might not get as good of a deal if they just found one for you though.

Yep, that's actually how they got our current 2wd Suburban--a swap.

It's just that these 2 already on the lot are pretty much carbon copies of what I think she'd want--and off the lot is always quicker & easier. Once I actually drive one and talk to her more, we can go from there as far as wanting another color or option combo and see what they can do.

Just for a quick comparo, here's some twin pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by caddycruiser

Only thing I'm second guessing right now IS the fuel mileage.

Granted, it should be terrific on the highway, but it doesn't sound like the 3.8L does much better than 20 around town. Still not bad, I guess, but we're looking for a significant boost in trading off the truck.

That's where the thinking behind a diesel VW came in, and she does like Jettas, but that's quite a bit smaller than something like the Lucerne would be. And there's still the Lacrosse, but it has pretty much identical ratings to the Lucerne and isn't nearly as polished of a car.

Still can't wait to drive one and actually talk to a salesperson, especially since the last one I was in was a pretty bare CX with the old lady cloth at the auto show. Not bad, but not great either. I sure hope the CXL seats aren't mushy...

Edited by caddycruiser

I think this is a nice car. Yes, go the 3.8 V6 route. I just gassed up my Regal today and was talking to a Mexican guy at the gas station with a beautiful 1986 Park Avenue 3800 that had over 250,000 original miles. It was the deep blue with a lighter blue cloth interior. Nice.

So, you're looking at a lot of years of service from such a car. Congrats. Oh, and BTW, go buckets and console (no column shift).

uhm, the platinum one is a V8

164741[/snapback]

I know, those were just some example pics I found on the net. The ones I'm really looking at are all V6 models.

I think this is a nice car.  Yes, go the 3.8 V6 route.  I just gassed up my Regal today and was talking to a Mexican guy at the gas station with a beautiful 1986 Park Avenue 3800 that had over 250,000 original miles.  It was the deep blue with a lighter blue cloth interior.  Nice.

So, you're looking at a lot of years of service from such a car.  Congrats.  Oh, and BTW, go buckets and console (no column shift).

164774[/snapback]

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Same for the buckets/console, as both of the ones I picked out myself are that way--she's always wished her Suburban had a console shifter, so I think that answers that question. But a bench isn't TOTALLY out of scope, just depends.

I know, those were just some example pics I found on the net.  The ones I'm really looking at are all V6 models.

164807[/snapback]

Oh, sorry. You mentioned you were taking pics earlier in the thread and I thought those were the pics you took. my bad :duh::duh:

I made a visit to the local B-P-G dealership Saturday night. On the way out I looked at the inventory of Lucernes. I'd still consider one if in the market - but unforunately I like the CXS V8 model ($38k and up) the best and that is definitely out of my price range. But the dealership had a real nice dark red CXL V6 model with those dark gray rims and cashmere interior that really caught my eye (not sure if I'd like the bench seat option though). Good luck and post pics if your mom gets one.

The more I see the Lucerne, the more I love the design. I'm seeing a lot of them on the road now which makes me feel proud. Yesterday I saw a black CXL V8... the model I'd love to have if I could afford one!

Good luck with your future purchase, whatever it may be. I dont think you'll find the lucerne v6 satisfying when it comes to acceleration (9.something seconds to 60 mph). But thats not something to really fret about, it's not built to race or something. Tell us about the test drive.

Your right, the platinum with chromes does look like jewlery :)

It's a really nice car, if you get it I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah Paulie, the design is great, I was driving a few weeks ago and behind me was a lucerne cxs. Whoever it was flew past me :lol:.

It was really nice from every angle I saw it from.

Just got back from the test drive of the Platinum one (still at work, hence the short post).

To make it short, I loved the car, and it even freaked me out going through the parking lot--by far, the QUIETEST vehicle I've ever been in. There was no noise whatsoever as I drove lightly.

And, strangely enough, I was more than happy with the 3.8L. Actually was a little noisier than I expected, but that wasn't a bad thing--just a very nice growl. Definately more responsive than the '99 Intrigue 3.8L I'm used to, and sounded a lot nicer too. I had to floor it to merge on the highway, and it just took off and snapped off shifts perfectly. VERY nice, and the "old dinosaur" actually put a smile on my face. Coming from the 5.3L tank, I think she'd me MORE than happy with the power--and, more importantly, the much better gas mileage.

Interior was awesome too, and the back seat terrific, but the fronts were a little odd for me--mainly because I've gotten so used to wider, flatter seats anymore. Perfect fit & finish too, and for having no options except for the chrome wheels, there was nothing lacking at all to me.

He told me to come back later and take it home to show, but I'm not sure if I'll get a chance today--we'll see.

Liking it LOTS :yes:

And I still can't believe the pricetag of $28.5k, especially considering our Suburban was $41k and feels like a big box of crappy plastic in comparison. It'd be a real steal for $25k, which is I think the price they'd do.

Edited by caddycruiser

Here's the actual pics (didn't get any of the white one).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great salesman, and he actually did know about the product. The front seat still felt a little strange to me, but that's only because I've gotten so used to flat benches with no support for so long, and I wasn't in it long enough to adjust it right.

He told me to take it for the day too, just so she could see & drive it without having to come down, but I didn't. Should have, because now she isn't as gung-ho about ditching the Suburban right away.

So now the real fun starts--trying to a) get her to actually drive one herself, and b) go through with buying one. I've done it with the past 3 vehicles, so I'll cross my fingers with this one.

If I can't get her to go down tomorrow, I'll just take him up on the offer to take it home with me.

It only had 18 miles on it, and was built in April. I didn't hear any odd sounds, everything was aligned, and it really for ONCE from GM, looks and feels like a car worth more than the pricetag. It passed my back seat test with flying colors too, and the trunk is definately large enough to fit our stuff. And FREAKISHLY quiet...it really is true!

Here's the actual pics (didn't get any of the white one).

Posted Image

165001[/snapback]

Damn, you are obviously in another part of the country because you would never see a line up of LaCrosses like you do in the background. Looking at the proportions of the LaCrosse rear-end, it is both understated and rich. They did a nice job with that. Yes, I know that is not your market since you like the epitome of boulevard ride.

I appreciate the Lucerne but it would be bigger than anything I've ever owned. Still, it's a giant step forward for Buick and is a wonderful successor to PA/LeSabre.

Damn, you are obviously in another part of the country because you would never see a line up of LaCrosses like you do in the background.  Looking at the proportions of the LaCrosse rear-end, it is both understated and rich.  They did a nice job with that.  Yes, I know that is not your market since you like the epitome of boulevard ride.

I appreciate the Lucerne but it would be bigger than anything I've ever owned.  Still, it's a giant step forward for Buick and is a wonderful successor to PA/LeSabre.

165045[/snapback]

Actually, I'm not a big "boulevard ride" fan--and that DEFINATELY is not what the Lucerne has.

She first mentioned the Lacrosse, but they are SO cramped, I had to cross that one off the list immediately. Fairly typical (but still a little tight for my tall frame) up front, but next to useless back seat. The white CXS they have does look nice, with the 17" chromes, but I still think that car has some doofy proportions and really ugly (CXS excluded) wheels. And the interior is okay, but not at all on the same playing field as the Lucerne.

The Lucerne really is not that big, and comes off as smaller than the LeSabre, even if it really isn't. I asked the salesman about the ones they have sold, and he said it was mostly to older people coming from LeSabres & Park Avenues, but that they all were thrilled to death with the Lucerne. I agreed completely when he said "Those were nice cars, but the Lucerne is in a whole different world." The LeSabre we had once had the solidity, refinement, and room thing down but looked like a frumpy old car with a rubbermaid interior--the Lucerne has the same good guts, but they've been refined INCREDIBLY, and the whole car comes off as almost import-like.

I could definately see one as the new "family ride", and am disliking the Suburban more and more as I think about it. Going to have to pull some strings and make sure she gets to drive it, and will seriously think about signing papers...

Edited by caddycruiser

Great salesman, and he actually did know about the product. The front seat still felt a little strange to me, but that's only because I've gotten so used to flat benches with no support for so long, and I wasn't in it long enough to adjust it right.

He told me to take it for the day too, just so she could see & drive it without having to come down, but I didn't. Should have, because now she isn't as gung-ho about ditching the Suburban right away.

So now the real fun starts--trying to a) get her to actually drive one herself, and b) go through with buying one. I've done it with the past 3 vehicles, so I'll cross my fingers with this one.

If I can't get her to go down tomorrow, I'll just take him up on the offer to take it home with me.

It only had 18 miles on it, and was built in April. I didn't hear any odd sounds, everything was aligned, and it really for ONCE from GM, looks and feels like a car worth more than the pricetag. It passed my back seat test with flying colors too, and the trunk is definately large enough to fit our stuff. And FREAKISHLY quiet...it really is true!

165001[/snapback]

I think the Lucerne should be your choice. Quiet?? HUSH QUIET, responsive and very ELEGANT! I have had mine for 4 months and would never consider trading for anything else. Being new here, I will try and add a photo of my Crimsom tint coat CXL...

Guess I do not know enough to add the picture here...

Sorry.

Edited by Lucerne06

Great to hear from an actual owner! Yes, if it were my money, I'd be down there with the 'Burban tomorrow finalizing a trade deal and signing the papers, but I'm just the middle man of sorts.

I think she would have jumped quicker, had my father not angrily said we still "needed" that big of a vehicle (she doesn't, and she's the one paying). Still, she likes Lucerne, and a lot more so after I showed her the pics & price and gave my driving report.

Hopefully I can get her in the driver's seat by tomorrow night, and convince her that not only is it a big enough vehicle, but it's a definate upgrade over what she has now, AND it'll effectively double the highway mpg's she's been used to.

I'm still shooting for the Platinum one, and envisioning it in the driveway...

Oh, and as far as pics, go here and set up a free account, upload pics, and then just copy & paste the little links it gives you for each one in a post here.

http://www.photobucket.com

Edited by caddycruiser

I think she would have jumped quicker, had my father not angrily said we still "needed" that big of a vehicle (she doesn't, and she's the one paying). 

165160[/snapback]

You have 3 B-bodies.... why on earth would you need a suburban for hauling also.

I count about 19,000 lbs of towing capacity there in your sig.

Great to hear from an actual owner!  Yes, if it were my money, I'd be down there with the 'Burban tomorrow finalizing a trade deal and signing the papers, but I'm just the middle man of sorts.

I think she would have jumped quicker, had my father not angrily said we still "needed" that big of a vehicle (she doesn't, and she's the one paying).  Still, she likes Lucerne, and a lot more so after I showed her the pics & price and gave my driving report.

Hopefully I can get her in the driver's seat by tomorrow night, and convince her that not only is it a big enough vehicle, but it's a definate upgrade over what she has now, AND it'll effectively double the highway mpg's she's been used to.

I'm still shooting for the Platinum one, and envisioning it in the driveway...

Oh, and as far as pics, go here and set up a free account, upload pics, and then just copy & paste the little links it gives you for each one in a post here.

http://www.photobucket.com

165160[/snapback]

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k12/Lucerne06/482ebe9a.jpg

Thanks for the advice. This is a picture I took recently. Not very good in the rain.

You have 3 B-bodies.... why on earth would you need a suburban for hauling also.

I count about 19,000 lbs of towing capacity there in your sig.

165163[/snapback]

EXACTLY. It is nice to have such a big, comfortable vehicle for long trips and hauling stuff (rarely), but not with a 16 mpg average.

He's had the same kind of protest with the last 3 of her car purchases, and does pay for the household car gas, but it's still dumb.

Then again, years ago, we did go from a minivan that we had bought to finally have room, to a new Chrysler 300M because she loved them. Got used to it, but after a few months, going from a higher ahd larger vehicle to a decent sized sedan got really noticeable, and we were really missing having space. That's when the start of having big GM utes started.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k12/Lucerne06/482ebe9a.jpg

Thanks for the advice.  This is a picture I took recently.  Not very good in the rain.

165179[/snapback]

Wow, nice car :AH-HA_wink: They have 2 CXL's in that shame shade as well, and they definately look terrific.

Edited by caddycruiser

It's still been kind of hectic around here, but I think what I'm going to do is call up the salesman tomorrow morning and have the car (probably the silver one again, I think...) ready for me--then just pick it up on my lunch hour and spin over towards home and suprise my mother at work.

If anything, I'll at least get a longer drive and not just a quickie redlight to redlight one.

Went and picked up the Platinum one again and took an extended lunch test drive over to suprise my mother--just over 20 miles on the odo, and I was getting a steady 30-36 mpg the whole way!!

She was suprised, and first said it didn't look very big from the outside, but got in and loved it. Really liked the Platinum/Titanium/chrome wheels combo a LOT. But wants to see a few other colors in person first. Even took it over to see my dad at lunch (across the street, oddly enough) and he wasn't too happy at first but couldn't believe the mileage I said I was getting or "Wow! How is that only $28k, it looks loaded to the gills?"

I did good, and even the salesman said "Do a good job selling for me!".

I knew once she saw it and drove it, that would be all it took, so now she's either going down today or tomorrow to look at a couple others (wants to see the white, and also a bench front seat for comparison), get a trade price on the 'Burban, and go from there.

There was ONE problem though--the car had a pretty noticeable front end shake right around 50 mph. I expected a little for it sitting so long, but it would just sort of come on and you could watch the wheel vibrate with it. Told the guy about it, and he's going to go drive it himself to get gas. Not a biggie, but don't want to buy a new car with a bad shake.

She's currently still thinking it over, but I'm meeting her down at the dealer tomorrow afternoon.

She still wants to see a couple other colors too, and look at one more in depth, but it's looking good.

Actually, funny enough, I stopped in a little after 5 tonight on my way home from work and the salespeople were just kind of sitting around. The lady we bought the Suburban from was there and recognized me and told another few people "They were the ones with THAT Avalanche 2 years ago." Seems they still remember how hard it was for my mother on trade-in day to give that truck up, and also how it was one of the best kept and immaculate trades they ever got in--went straight to the used lot, without even a wash I think.

Now they're anxious to see the Suburban from us (and I got LOTS of questions and compliments on my Caddy), and too bad it needs a fresh wash, but that should still bode well for a nice trade price, as should the sub-expired warranty (at about 35.5k).

Only thing I'm really worried about are the price (he gave me a quick quote of only about $700 over invoice, which I wasn't happy at all with for an '06), or the fact that the silver one had that noticeable shake around 50-55. He said it might have been from rust on the rotors, or other crude, or just sitting, but it definately didn't feel like that when I would just be cruising. Not sure though, but I'll call beforehand tomorrow maybe and check.

There had better decades of rust on the rotors for them to case a shake.

166040[/snapback]

That's what I thought, but we'll see. That particular car isn't set in stone, but I still like the color combo the most and think it would be best for her. It was just a strange shake and made the car feel very darty at those speeds. He said he'd check it out, so we'll see.

Still, a great car and she loved it, EXCEPT for not being able to see backwards well, sitting down low (not really a dislike, but she's had full size ute's for 4 years+ now), and re-thinking just what she'll do when she DOES have a lot of stuff to haul.

But again, we'll see, and I should know one way or the other or what car specifically by tomorrow night...if one at all.

What dealership is that?  I think I've driven by it.  Good luck with the purchase.

166221[/snapback]

Yep, you probably have, especially coming from Lancaster--it's CP Diver Chevy-Pontiac-Buick-GMC in Lewes, DE.

They've always been nice to deal with, and the large full GM (except for Hummer/Saturn) place closest to us.

So far, I'm not impressed at all with the price they gave me preliminarily yesterday ($600+ over invoice, for an '06....) but he did seem very open and willing to drop. These cars seem like a great deal even at MSRP, but this late in the year, I'd expect invoice or below automatically.

I'm convinced this will be a strong contender for me when I go to purchase a new car. I was thinking it was a bit over the amount I wanted to spend, but I think with a CXL V6, I would be very happy and it wouldn't be too expensive (granted I'd want an option or two, like the harmon/kardon stereo (granted the base stereo is probably more than enough)).

I'm convinced this will be a strong contender for me when I go to purchase a new car.  I was thinking it was a bit over the amount I wanted to spend, but I think with a CXL V6, I would be very happy and it wouldn't be too expensive (granted I'd want an option or two, like the harmon/kardon stereo (granted the base stereo is probably more than enough)).

166230[/snapback]

Agreed, and now you're actually making me rethink some options. Like I've said, the two cars in question are pretty bare (well, as bare as a leather, chrome, and faux wood lined CXL model gets :rolleyes: ), but I didn't notice much missing. And the stereo, though it was clearly not a high end system, sounded great and the sound filled the car better than it does in the truck.

She wanted more info last night and was actually asking me about stereo specifics and whether there was memory seats or not. She actually hates heated seats, but wanted the Bose in her Suburban (even though it doesn't impress much) and has missed the seat memory from her 300M (dad gets in and moves everything, and it'd be nice to just have 2 positions saved automatically).

But we'll see...4 days now, and I'm still stringing the salesman along, trying to get her down there even for 10 minutes ^_^

Edited by caddycruiser

Well, forget it. No new Lucerne, or anything for that matter, for a while.

I looked at all of the ones they had with her, and she wanted to take the white/tan one out for a spin. Obviously, a great car, and drove beautifully but I could clearly see she wasn't getting "that look" as she did with both of the trucks.

Still, was interested, and decided to at least get a trade-in price for her Suburban, and that's sort of what ended it officially. The salesman took it for a spin and came back, but the number they gave was PEANUTS, and he actually tried (have to give him that, it was a good attempt :rolleyes: ) to explain how mileage was what changed the classification of our perfect, weekly detailed truck from "Excellent" to "Good" and dropped the value a couple grand in the process.

Long story short, the Lucerne is awesome and she really did like it, but gas hog or not, the Suburban is too new, too comfortable, and too useful of a vehicle to give up for absolute peanuts and start all over again with a much smaller, less comfortable car. I still think the Buick would be a much better daily driver, but it could never match the usefulness of the truck (or its being half paid off).

It would be a terrific vehicle for either myself or my father, but that's not in the cards.

Oh well, I tried... <_<

I'm not surprised they didn't want to give you much for the Suburban, no one wants a big used SUV nowadays. Last year sometime the dealer I work for went to an auction and bought 3 '05 (used) Suburbans for $35k each, thinking they would sell. Well, then gas shot up to about $2.60 (which was high then) and the next week they went to the same auction and Suburbans were going for $31k then. Now, a year or so later, they still have at least one of the Suburbans (maybe two?). So, I'm really not surprised that they don't want to give you much, they probably won't be able to sell it for much more than what they give you for it.

I know, that's one factor, EXCEPT for the fact that they actually told me when I asked that not only do the new '07s sell almost instantly (very low stock because of that), but they actually have a strong demand for well kept later model GMT-800's whenever they hit the lot.

Matter of fact, they have one '04 Tahoe LS on their lot right now that has 40k miles and a lot less options than our Suburban, but they're asking about $6k more for it than they offered as trade. But, it was the classifying of it as KBB's "Good" and not "Excellent" that got me. It had just rained, so it needed a quick wash, but was actually cleaner than some of their poorly prepped new vehicles.

Oh well, I tried, and at least I got to look at, drive, and ride in a few VERY nice new Buicks, and I have a newfound respect for them :AH-HA_wink: That, and at least she came to the realization that she really doesn't want a car right now--the Lucerne is a beautiful and comfortable car, but she couldn't see backwards like she's gotten used to and the sitting lower thing was already getting to her on the short test drive. Better now than a few months and few payments down the road.

Back to the misery of owning that loaded 2 year old tank again, I guess :rolleyes:

Edited by caddycruiser

Just get one with a sunroof (preferably open) and a hugh jass booster seat.

166549[/snapback]

Haha, yeah, I know! Seriously, stepping up to an Avalanche and then the Suburban, we've all gotten so used to the living room height seating and space, plus the awesome visibilty, that it is VERY hard to go back to a car as the primary vehicle despite all of the advantages.

She REALLY liked the Buicks though, and probably would have gone for one anyway if she could have gotten even a halfway decent trade price. I'll say it's one of a few likely candidates, if she does go for a car, in a couple of years when my brother and I are gone, and it's just her, dad, and the dogs.

And I must say, but only did it come off as an INCREDIBLE step up from the LeSabre and Park Avenue, but the Lucerne also has a different and higher grade aura about it when compared to a new Impala or even Lacrosse too. Some shared bits (Impala), but obviously two different grades of cars. And the 3.8L, as old as dirt, is not at all sluggish and the gas mileage is STILL the most incredible part, even if it does have a grittier growl to it than your typical cammer. In one of the new "quiet" Buicks, specifically, pretty much silent 85% of the time, and just a nice roar under acceleration.

Is the 3800 V6 the new & updated Series III version? I don't NEED the CXS V8, but sure do love the sportier looks and uplevel trim it receives. But I probably could do just fine with a CXL V6 with some options. Caddycruiser, that platinum colored Lucerne was one hell of a good looking machine! I'm glad to hear tha it was getting high in the 20s with the gas mileage. Would you say that it was due to highway driving, or mixed?

For those following my triad with the Malibu, I've been wanting to replace it but with the SKY purchase almost three months ago, a new car purchase is the last thing on my wife's list. I like the LaCrosse, but the interior packaging isn't the greatest; however, the Lucerne fits the bill nicely. I'd say it would be a toss-up for me between the all-new 2007 Saturn AURA and the all-new Buick Lucerne. I like the prospect of the AURA XR's 3.6 V6, but the soon-to-be discontinued 3800 V6 is a great engine. Also the wife does like the new GMC Acadia, so it's a good possibility that when the Envoy lease expires in August of 2008, an Acadia or Outlook will be in the driveway. So would a large sedan like the Lucerne really be needed?

Is the 3800 V6 the new & updated Series III version?

166706[/snapback]

Yes, the 3800 V6 is the Series III.

I keep seeing Sagemist Metallic Lucerne's on the road... I really like that color... it's delicate, gentle--it's not your standard gray, it is just enough color to make it stand out from your typical gray car.

I have seen more Lucerne's with the chrome grille than not... I definitely like it on darker colors... on lighter colors, it kinda washes out a bit. I like the blacked out grille on lighter colors.

Well, I guess it had to happen.  Yesterday, I saw my first Lucerne with a fake convertible top.  Black on black with gold anodized trim.  Why people continue to do this crap to good looking cars is beyond me.

167513[/snapback]

Strangely enough, I've YET to see one of those beasts, but it's only a matter of time in this retirement capital--or at least one of them--of the world. Someone just bought a new silver Avalon Touring (the one with the graphite wheels, silver trim, and stiff suspension) and put a black cloth top on it... :duh:

Back to the Lucerne. The salesman called Saturday, but I was out, and she didn't tell me what he said on the message other than "I have an idea...". I have to call him up tomorrow and see what he wanted, just for the heck of it, and tell him she's decided against the car.

I STILL don't think she needs or should be driving around in such a big tank everyday, but I do see the usefulness of it (by far, the best and most comfortable long trip vehicle EVER, and the only vehicle I could ever fit all my college stuff in for one trip), but she doesn't want a car anymore either. "I can't see out of a car, especially to back up, and it isn't comfortable for me." But the 'Burban just averaged 13.9 MPG for the past week now too :o

But it's a BEAUTIFUL car, and to the mention of the Lacrosse, that thing is a POS in comparison. Not to come off harsh, but that's the truth. The dealer had them all side by side, and the Lacrosse just has some gangly proportions compared to the Lucerne and is cramped as could be in comparison. And having compared a $28k Lucerne CXL V6 to a $32k Lacrosse CXS 3.6, there was no question in my mind. Even with the newer, up to date 3.6, I'd still pick the growlier 3.8L in the Lucerne because it gets significantly better gas mileage real world. Looking at and touching each car up close, as well as driving, the Lucerne always comes off as the more upscale, refined, and sophisticated car too.

I'm still not totally giving up the thought...off to drive a new '07 Ford Freestyle tomorrow :) "I won't drive a Ford, period.", is what I've heard over and over, but even my GM-blooded father likes them a lot, and I just want to drive one myself.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the 3800 V6 is the Series III.

I keep seeing Sagemist Metallic Lucerne's on the road... I really like that color... it's delicate, gentle--it's not your standard gray, it is just enough color to make it stand out from your typical gray car.

I have seen more Lucerne's with the chrome grille than not... I definitely like it on darker colors... on lighter colors, it kinda washes out a bit.  I like the blacked out grille on lighter colors.

166739[/snapback]

Thank-you for making that statement. I completely agree. I wondered why the blacked-out grill looked better on some cars and why sometimes the chrome grille seemed so hard to decipher. I feel like such an idiot for not realizing that!!! :P

Well, I think I've decided on a Lucerne too, after going back and forth between an Impala SS or the Buick.

My local dealer has a CXL V8, with the sunroof, luxury package, and Harman Kardon stereo, but only with the single CD player rather than the 6 disc changer -

I can live with that I think; also has the base 17 inch wheels (trying to get them to maybe throw in a set of chromes). Its the white opal exterior with the cashmere interior -- which i like a lot.

Also has the column mounted shifter which is fine...

I got a pretty good price i think, $32K out the door....

Question: what do you think it would cost to have the chrome exhaust tips added to this car?

• 1 month later...

Well, trying this again - I just typed a 10 minute post about my experience with the Lucerne and even copied so I could paste in case of error and still got a error report and lost it. Oh well. Here goes again, but I am going to shorten it, as it is late and I am tired. :)

We rented a 07' Lucerne CXL V6 over the weekend for our trip, as we normally rent. The car had 2500 miles and was built in August of 2006. The interior already had some blemishes from the previous renters. I thought it was disgraceful, so I tried to clean it myself, but some areas were hopeless- especially around the headlamp switch which seems to be of "flat" texture and the dirt did not want to remove.

I saw NO misaligned panels on the interior and I heard NO squeaks or rattles, even over large bumps. However, there was some occasional "tick" noises from some dash trim over sharp bumps and large potholes- some of which are unavoidable on NC highways. <_< However, even on some sharp bumps/potholes, even "ticks" were unheard. Some "ticking" may be normal and exibited on all new cars over certain bumps as the interior changes temperatures and expands, etc. I was pleased with the handling and ride quality and really enjoyed the XM satellite radio system.

My complaints are minor. I did not like the leather interior- I prefer cloth, but that is not the cars fault. :AH-HA_wink: Disappointed in economy. Only averaged 21.5 mpg in mostly freeway driving. The 06' Impala LT we rented in July averaged 27.5 on the freeway and was about as comfortable. Impala had less rear seat room, but had a larger trunk instead. Also, on acceleration, the transmission acted quirky shifting through the gears. Seems like they wanted to change too often. Also, from a stop, there seemed to be "surging" from the engine upon acceleration until it gets into 3rd gear. I was surprised to note that the alternator was "made in Japan" and was made by Denso. Not a bad thing, but I was not expecting to see that on a Buick. :huh:

My main complaint- I had a hard time seeing backing up, due to the massive "C" pillars and the rear end that seems to set higher.

One of my favorite features is the safety of these cars- which I am sure most of you may know by now. In the IIHS off-set crash tests, this car received excellent, excellent ratings on the frontal test. No rearward movement of the "A" pillar, or the steering column, or instrument panels. Also received excellent scores in NHTSA full frontal crash. If safety is a concern, this car is for you. Too bad they (GM) did not get this right on the 2006-07 Impala, as it only received an "acceptable" rating and had more intrusion into the passenger cell in the same test that the Buick passed with flying colors. Here are some links to those safery scores (hopefully postings of links here are allowed?) New here and I did not see any mention of it.

Photos of IIHS test:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=639

Intrustion measures of cars in this class (note Buicks measures in comparison):

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/datatables.aspx?class=20&type=f

NHTSA full frontal:

http://www.nhtsa.com/ (actual site is down now, but go here, click on safercar.gov, then go to Buick Lucerne).

My photos of car we rented are too large to post here.

Edited by Tennesseestorm