C&G First Look - 07 Silverado/Sierra

So, what do you think of the -900 pickups?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. So, what do you think of the -900 pickups?

• Wow! Amazing! GM has really raised the bar!
    • Great, but could be better if...
    • Not bad, a good replacement, but not a step beyond.
    • Uhh...
    • Ew! Horrible! Lousy!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright... after the trucks in question have had time to let their designs sink in a bit... I'm still disappointed. The Silverado... is just pitiful. Take a Titan, a Colorado, and a Ram... and *bam!* you have the new Silverado. It's like the Camry of fullsize pickups. The Sierra, is much better looking, atleast. But, it's still bland, like the Silverado. Both make it seem like GM both tried too hard and not hard enough all at the same time. As for the work interior... eh, it's a work interior. However, like others have said, I will need to see better pictures to fully grasp it's design.

I remember hating the new design back in 1988. Everyone seemed to. And now I think that body style is classic Chevrolet......owned one since 1993 and still love it.

My first thought is that it looks like they tried too hard with the Chevy. The GMC looks cleaner and tough. Like many others have said. I sense the F150 cues when I look at the GMC. Very boxy.

As for the tundra....whatever. That is a goofy, stupid little truck. I can't believe people buy that thing. I love the tundra tv commercials that claim that they will last for years and years. They haven't even been out for years and years. How do they know? Trucks are sacred American vehicles, and GM, Ford, as well as Dodge make fine trucks. It's offending that people buy those tundras and titans.

Guest YellowJacket894

LOL - Kudos, that has me crying I am laughing so hard.

No problem. :lol:

Its patheTic, unless you're spelling it incorrect on purpose.

Typos happen. :D

Alright, kiddies, time to get back to discussing the trucks. :)

Will do. :)

Quick question: which styling direction do you prefer? The Cheyenne concept's or the new Silverado?

Posted Image

Dear god someone please explain to me why the #@&%$ the 4.3

V6 is the base engine and not the 4.2 Atlas I6? What's the deal?

Look at it this way - GM has more to loose than to gain with risky styling in this segment. Also the basic design must be re-configurable to the dozens of cabs and bed lenghts and have lasting longevity over a 5-7 model year run.

With minor styling tweaks over the 8 year run the 800s have had, GM is still selling over 800k Silverados and Sierras a year with the current factory incentives ($3000 - $4,500). Are the 900s good enough for GM to pull those incentives completely or most of it?

If so, do the math.

i.e.

800,000/sales * $3,000 = $2,400,000,000.

Edited by evok

Look at it this way - GM has more to loose than to gain with risky styling in this segment.  Also the basic design must be re-configurable to the dozens of cabs and bed lenghts and have lasting longevity over a 5-7 model year run.

With minor styling tweaks over the 8 year run the 800s have had, GM is still selling over 800k Silverados and Sierras a year with the current factory incentives ($3000 - $4,500).  Are the 900s good enough for GM to pull those incentives completely or most of it?

If so, do the math.

i.e.

800,000/sales * $3,000 = $2,400,000,000.

171016[/snapback]

Agreed. They are not in the situation Chrysler was in back in '94 when they redesigned the Ram. They had everything to gain and nothing to lose, really. I think they had 7% of the market in '93 and that was only because of the Cummins. But the Cheyenne concept has been around a while and a lot of people have seen it. Maybe GM got bad feedback on it or something....because I think the Cheyenne design would sell....bigtime.

Edited by GMman

Maybe GM got bad feedback on it or something....because I think the Cheyenne design would sell....bigtime.

171021[/snapback]

The Cheyenne looked to be impractical for the application because of the styling.

Remember they have to knock out 800k of these things a year and the simplier everything is to manufacturer the cheaper it is. Given that this is a profit driver in a market with little growth, bang for the buck is everything.

Complex curves are not the way to go and I suspect will not add much in sales if any.

Because no one aside from large fleets buy the V6 typically.

171035[/snapback]

Didn't I just go through this with him in the Demise of the V8 thread that I started a few months ago.

Only 10% of the current 800 PU are V6.

And I know somewhere on here I discussed in detail the 4.3 vs. I6 decision!

I know this might sound odd, but I would love to see SSR's exterior styling and design surface on Silverado and other Chevy trucks-it would make it look unique, the fenders wouldn't look tacked on here like they are now, and it would give the trucks a desperately-needed presence on the roads-I drew a new LUV extended cab the other day using SSR for a basis, and I thought it looked great. If I ever learn how to use a scanner and post a picture online....

Didn't I just go through this with him in the Demise of the V8 thread that I started a few months ago.

171039[/snapback]

Yeah. Aren't you used to it by now? :deadhorse::banghead:

Only 10% of the current 800 PU are V6.

171039[/snapback]

Repeated for emphasis because, as said, very few V6s are sold retail. The popularity of the six fell off since the V8s not only became very powerful themselves, but because the gas mileage is the same...or better! Its there for affordability or to run out the production or something.

Because no one aside from large fleets buy the V6 typically.

171035[/snapback]

So again I ask why not make the superior I6 standard? :huh:

Drop the 4.3 already... it had a good run. The original SBC

it was based on is long dead so why si this thing still around?

Edited by Sixty8panther

Seriously dude... I'm into old school $h! but the 4.3 has outlived

its usefullness. I had one in my 1991 Blazer and loved it but this

is retarded, the Atlas motors should be in everything with a BOF

construction that does not have a V8. There's no reason to even

make the 4.3, not like it's in any cars or whatever.

You guys know I'm into old school stuff and don't like change for

the sake of change but putting the I6 in the Silverado is a no

brainer.

brainer.

171339[/snapback]

I'm with Sixty8-the Atlas I6 shold most definitely be in the new trucks-the Vortec V6 is a great engine, but the Atlas looks so much better on paper.

edit: and it probably would have better performance in the full-sizers than the Vortec V6

Edited by DetroitNut90

Having been through hell and back with an '81 Eldorado V-8-6-4, I don't know if I could pull the trigger. The article said the 5.3 and up engines would have "Active Fuel Management"...meaning I suppose the 4.8 would not? :gmc:

171166[/snapback]

Welcome to the 21st Century, where computer technology has advanced in spades and my Gameboy has more tech than an Apollo spacecraft.

Considering you are using a computer to enter posts on this board, that means you aren't too averse to technology, and the technology governing the Active Fuel Management is relatively simple in todays world.

I'd say if you want a 5.3, go for it, even if it has AFM because it's no V-8-6-4.

I'm with Sixty8-the Atlas I6 shold most definitely be in the new trucks-the Vortec V6 is a great engine, but the Atlas looks so much better on paper.

edit: and it probably would have better performance in the full-sizers than the Vortec V6

171342[/snapback]

The 4.2L wouldn't serve the needs of the people who are in the market for a cheap, rugged truck. Why put a more powerful, more expensive engine in the W/T models getting sold through group rates to construction companies and government fleets?

The 4.3L is bought and paid for, so putting it in the base-level trucks is pretty much pure profit. The 4.2L is more expensive to build and thus more expensive for customers, thus less people purchase it, meaning less money.

brainer.

171339[/snapback]

Ah, the 4.3 isn't that bad...

I wouldn't mind the I6, but My thinking is that it is going out with those TBs and such...

I thought GM was working on a new HF v-6 for the replacement of the 4.3....

I still see quite a few rado's with the 4.3...use em' as work trucks...

I could live with 4.3, as long as it still hauls a ext cab (work or LS)...

Unless there is a strong business case for the I6 in light of lost efficiencies in the Flint plant because of the significantly reduced sales of the 360s, there is no point in putting in the currently more expensive I6 over the 4.3 V6. Last I heard there was a significant cost difference. The other wild card is CAFE. But GM will have to figure that out as they hash out their market plans.

For the most part and I have shown this the V6s are a small percentage of the 800 sales. Not only that the 6 cylinders are a small percentage of the total fullsize market. Even more so at Ford.

So what is the point? if the I6 will cost more money to the OEM for little to zero gain.

On top of that the 6 cylinder model is offered as an option in the standard cab where the majority of the V6s are sold. And the standard cab is a small percentage of the 800 sales.

oooo my god look at that cubby has to copy nissan.the titan was first with the duel hinge doors and nissan was the first with the utilty track. wow man they sure are smart and know how to copy sombody else.not to menchin that new truck looks like comlpety $h!.dont get me wrong but the older chevys and GMCs look best. the denile was the best looking truck out there.till i got my titan.now i can smoke you guys like there no tomorrow

oooo my god look at that cubby has to copy nissan.the titan was first with the  duel hinge doors and nissan was the first with the utilty track. wow man they sure are smart and know how to copy sombody else.not to menchin that new truck looks like comlpety $h!.dont get me wrong but the older chevys and GMCs look best. the denile was the best looking truck out there.till i got my titan.now i can smoke you guys like there no tomorrow

171692[/snapback]

So, then nissan must have copied GM or Ford when they made a full-size pick-up... right?

Guest YellowJacket894

oooo my god look at that cubby has to copy nissan.the titan was first with the  duel hinge doors and nissan was the first with the utilty track. wow man they sure are smart and know how to copy sombody else.not to menchin that new truck looks like comlpety $h!.dont get me wrong but the older chevys and GMCs look best. the denile was the best looking truck out there.till i got my titan.now i can smoke you guys like there no tomorrow

171692[/snapback]

I'm sorry but your spelling is atrocious. "Denile...?" Is that anything like "senile?"

You can drive your Titan all day long, but I bet your dislexia prevents you from reading the damned manual.

Anyhow, after grabbing the nearest Rosetta Stone to decipher your post, I'd say the 1967 and 1973 Chevy trucks were the best classic Chevy trucks out there. And, although you are right about a possible Titan influence, elements from both trucks can be found in the design of particularly the Silverado.

(By the way, if my making fun of your grammar was offensive, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a real grammar cop.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'm sorry but your spelling is atrocious. "Denile...?" Is that anything like "senile?"

You can drive your Titan all day long, but I bet your dislexia prevents you from reading the damned manual.

Anyhow, after grabbing the nearest Rosetta Stone to decipher your post, I'd say the 1967 and 1973 Chevy trucks were the best classic Chevy trucks out there. And, although you are right about a possible Titan influnce, elements from both trucks can be found in the design of particularly the Silverado.

(By the way, if my making fun of your grammar was offensive, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a real grammar cop.)

171798[/snapback]

S and D are right next to each other on the keyboard. Easy mistale. :P

171692[/snapback]

:o

I get it! Its code and I have to decipher it! :pokeowned:

I've only got one thing to say. Whilst everyone else rags on the 4.3L V6 and the 4-spd trans. I like the truck, I like the engine choices, and I like having a 4-spd transmission. I mean you don't bloody need six gears to cruise around town with a load of lumber. Its not a damned Peterbuilt conventional hauling 115,000-lbs of timber across a muddy backroad..... All right, rant over. I think that the trucks will sale, no matter what, I like the GMC more than the Chevy, I agree with everyone else, the GMC looks much more masculine.

I meant get rid of the 195HP V6 and add a more powerful engine, not add yet another one to the list.

170300[/snapback]

This email came from GM.

After I see the official shots I will decide.

Visit Chevylaunch.com August 2 for the All-New Silverado Launch Web Site

The all-new 2007 Silverado will be setting a much loftier

benchmark for its full-size pickup competition. And on

August 2, you'll get a closer look at what the full-size

pickup competition will be chasing when www.chevylaunch.com

pulls the silk on the complete 2007 Silverado Launch Web site.

Site content will include:

- Silverado Salesperson Reference Guide

- Silverado Ordering Workbook

- Silverado photo gallery

- Initial distribution information

- And much more.

Check back with www.chevylaunch.com August 2 to get all

the details on the all-new Silverado launch.

Chevylaunch.com

This email came from GM.

After I see the official shots I will decide.

Visit Chevylaunch.com August 2 for the All-New Silverado Launch Web Site

The all-new 2007 Silverado will be setting a much loftier

benchmark for its full-size pickup competition. And on

August 2, you'll get a closer look at what the full-size

pickup competition will be chasing when www.chevylaunch.com

pulls the silk on the complete 2007 Silverado Launch Web site.

Site content will include:

- Silverado Salesperson Reference Guide

- Silverado Ordering Workbook

- Silverado photo gallery

- Initial distribution information

- And much more.

Check back with www.chevylaunch.com August 2 to get all

the details on the all-new Silverado launch.

Chevylaunch.com

172547[/snapback]

That's great if you are a chevrolet employee/dealer.

Other than that you can't get in(or is it because I went there before the 2nd?)

Wow, 2 different interiors, that's pretty cool. I have to say at the moment the Sierra looks better, although the front end looks a lot like the first gen Escalade...am I the only one who thinks so?

172663[/snapback]

Funny you should say that Dodgefan. The Escalade was a rebadged GMC Yukon Denali!!! Cadillac was originally offered the Denali but thought nobody would buy a luxury SUV so they passed and GMC got it. Lincoln introduced the Navigator and sold every one at a big profit. Poor Caddy jumped on the wagon and demanded a version of the Denali for them to sell. I'll step off my :soapbox: now!!!

Has anybody looked at the Ordering Guide to see the spec of the New Silverado yet? I'm suprised no one has posted their findings yet.

173799[/snapback]

What "spec" are you looking for?

I can build one at my bank right now online, no pics or pricing, but the info is there.

And I did look at the ordering form, it's kinda hard to figure out. LOL It looks like it's ALL the 1500 trucks, but there is nothing that tells you what model you're looking at.

I did notice there is no LT3, it jumps from W/T LT1 LT2, then LTZ

Edited by 84jeepjohn

What "spec" are you looking for?

I can build one at my bank right now online, no pics or pricing, but the info is there.

And I did look at the ordering form, it's kinda hard to figure out. LOL It looks like it's ALL the 1500 trucks, but there is nothing that tells you what model you're looking at.

I did notice there is no LT3, it jumps from W/T LT1 LT2, then LTZ

173808[/snapback]

I'm not looking for a specific spec. I was just pointing out that the New Silverado and Serria are on the Ordering Guide, but no one has posted it on the this site.

• 4 months later...