Toyota Sienna minivans probed

regfootball

free press

August 7, 2006

2005 Toyota Sienna. (Toyota)

The government has opened an investigation of 2004-2005 Toyota Sienna minivans after receiving complaints that the liftgate had failed, causing the hatchback door to close on motorists.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a notice dated Aug. 2 that it has received eight complaints and four reports of injuries involving the liftgate unexpectedly closing on a person’s head or body.

The investigation involves 393,313 Sienna minivans from the 2004-05 model years.

In March 2004, Toyota issued a technical service bulletin to owners of the 2004 Sienna saying that the liftgate struts had been redesigned to help prevent seal damage and gas leakage.

Toyota spokeswoman Ming-Jou Chen said Monday that the automaker was cooperating in the investigation but it was too early to know if the problems were linked to the issues that led to the service bulletin.

Some investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lead to vehicle recalls.

This time they're going to avoid a recall no matter what.

177474[/snapback]

Tell me about it. A recall on the country's favorite (and rightly so, best van on the market really) minivan? Yeah, Toyota will do everything possible to avoid a black mark against the Sienna.

Listen, Toyota can easily turn this around:

I had an 87 Sundance where the gas struts failed and the trunk would never stay up... I called it auto-closing, a Luxury feature in the segment :AH-HA_wink:

Picture it:

"When your hands are full with kids and groceries, the confident and capable Sienna knows you don't have a spare hand to close the liftgate, which is why it does it for you."

(queue video of liftgate failing and falling to a shut--in slow motion of course)

I called it auto-closing, a Luxury feature in the segment  :AH-HA_wink:

177661[/snapback]

Sort of like the Camry's Differential on Demand that shuts down unneeded gears, Tundra's Infant Crash Ejector, or Avalon's MADD-sponsored BeerSteer DUI Simulation Steering option?

Why do I find the image of some mom being clocked on the head hillarious?

177491[/snapback]

Snicker, snicker ---- wouldn't happen with an Astro Dutch door!

They don't weigh what those one piece monster hatches do!!!

And I know!......... cause it happened to me with an old Dodge Ramcharger,

with an 80 lb. Fiberglass ONE-PIECE rear hatch, when the struts failed in the cold!

:yes:

Sort of like the Camry's Differential on Demand that shuts down unneeded gears, Tundra's Infant Crash Ejector, or Avalon's MADD-sponsored BeerSteer DUI Simulation Steering option?

177663[/snapback]

Exactly.. let's not forget the Dash-assisted Cruise Control on the RX330's (where the dash piece falls on the gas pedal)

Y'all know that the "options" youse guys named off actually sound like some real options on cars these days. I also agree with Fly, seeing mom cracked on the head by the rear hatch, then watching her legs just kinda kick wildly and a muffled scream coming from the back of the van whilst the hatch is closed is a hilarious mental picture.

The country's favorite minivan is still the Dodge Caravan. Even being a fan, i don't know why it is, the redesign can't come soon enough. .

177955[/snapback]

right now i think the Sienna is fighting off the Sedona. the Sedona is selling like hot cakes and its a very good product. Why GM and Ford can't make anyting equal to these vehicles baffles me.