Eight Speeds Not Just for Lexus Anymore?

Variance

Eight Speeds Not Just for Lexus Anymore?

General Motors might not be the first company that comes to mind when thinking about high-tech gadgets and gizmos. But a new trademark filing suggests The General might be planning to go after technology-obsessed Lexus with an eight speed transmission of its own. On August 8th, GM registered the name "8 Speed" (pictured) in reference to automobile transmissions. To us, this can only mean one thing. Currently, Lexus is the only automaker with an eight speed transmission. Might GM's Cadillac and Buick brands be getting ready to fight back? Pictured right is the styled text intended for the trademark (low-resolution only).

Read "Trademarks: General Motors working on 8 Speed transmission?" @ Leftlane News

*sighs tiredly* Why oh why do we need 8 bloody speeds on the family grocery getter? We are not trying to harness the massive amounts of torque and horsepower that a Detriot 60-series, or a Cat 3206 has, and we damn sure aren't trying to haul 100,000-lbs of timber, or any other suitable product out from a muddy road... Five gear ratios is plenty for 9 outta 10 driven situations, unless you have a car that has NO torque, then you'll need all those gears to even feel like you're accomplishing anything. I guess that's what this means, GM is going to stop building engines that have a lot of torque and go with the high-revving, pissed-off-weedeater-sounding engines that have to be revved to 9,850-rpm just to begin feeling torque.... :nono:

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker

Yep, there is no limit to the stupidity thrust upon Detroit by the rabble that thinks they know about cars and selling them.

Tyranny of the "Enthusiast."

I love reading the posts. People rave about Lexus having 8 speeds but when GM gets one, they call it overkill and a waste of money. Don't you love double standards!!

This is pretty cool. Would be great in large Cadillac sedan (ULS anyone?) I think GM will have all the technology available for the rumored sedan. A V-12 engine would be a nice addition too.

I love reading the posts.  People rave about Lexus having 8 speeds but when GM gets one, they call it overkill and a waste of money.  Don't you love double standards!!

This is pretty cool.  Would be great in large Cadillac sedan (ULS anyone?)  I think GM will have all the technology available for the rumored sedan.  A V-12 engine would be a nice addition too.

191124[/snapback]

I agree with the double standard comment. Nevertheless, complacency in todays marketplace will get GM nowhere.

I'd rather see a good CVT than an 8 speed transmission,

191296[/snapback]

BINGO! If your going to have 8 speeds you might as well just have a CVT.

The new 4 speeds are not that great in the fact that they are actually 3 speeds. Overdrive does nothing. If there was actual 4 speeds, as in 3rd gear would end around 80 and 4 would take it from there, then they wouldn't be all that bad.

good primer on the why of 8 speeds in the lexus, etc.

CVT vs 8 speed? Ford, GM, and BMW are droping their CVT transmissions. Nisan seems the bisgest incorporater of this technology. New Versa offers the CVT but is also addng the old 4 speed automatic because of supplier shortges.

8 spped going into cadillac? Perhaps but it makes more sense for the Aveo(mechanically,not marketing wise).

Caddy should do well with the 8-speed and deserves it. I wouldn't give it to Buick just to keep the brands separate and avoid overlap. By the way, I think I should take a walk down LS memory lane and see what some of you said about the Lexus 8-speed. :AH-HA_wink:

Back in the 50s and 60s and into the 70s, GM produced V-Drive transmissions on their transit buses that had three "speeds" (not gears) converter, direct, and overdrive...... I have driven buses with this transmission and with Allison 5 speeds and 6 speeds in them and I can tell you that more gears is not always the better soloution. The 3 speed transmission was far superior to anything Allison put out in the bus application, and it KILLED anything Voith or ZF made.

Caddy should do well with the 8-speed and deserves it.  I wouldn't give it to Buick just to keep the brands separate and avoid overlap.  By the way, I think I should take a walk down LS memory lane and see what some of you said about the Lexus 8-speed.  :AH-HA_wink:

191433[/snapback]

I think you'll find that a bunch of us called it overkill there too.

There are 18 speed semi-automatic transmissions available for trucks. Maybe GM should downsize one of those to keep all the gearhappy people quiet?

BTW - the new 6 speed autos are great and I cannot see why a Gen IV needs any more.

I'd rather see a good CVT than an 8 speed transmission, but I guess an 8 speed would have its advantages.  Want to bet Toyota turns out a 12 speed automatic by 2012?

191296[/snapback]

Drive a Dodge Caliber and you would change your mind. Worst Idea ever. My wife and sister in law was not impressed. Even my sister who drove one as she liked the look was not impressed with the RT. She ended up getting a Mazda 6 only to regret it and now wishes she had the CTS like me! :P

Over All just like the computer industry, those that put 8 speeds out will find lots of sales and leadership. Does not matter that it might not have a valid case for it. Yes allot of Torque and 6 speed is plenty, but the marketing message you can have with an 8 speed will outsell everyone and making money is what this is all about.

GM Must build and sell the 8 speed in Caddilac, Buick and the Vette. This is the right thing to do. Plus it GM needs to show this kind of leadership as it will truly bring in sales now and down the road. 8)

I love reading the posts.  People rave about Lexus having 8 speeds but when GM gets one, they call it overkill and a waste of money.  Don't you love double standards!!

191124[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by GMman

I'd only rave about anything more than five or six speeds in a big rig, you're everyday grocery getter and back-and-forth to work getter doesn't need that many damn gears. If you're travelling, and out on the open road all the time, then yes, I could see a reason for it, but most people who are going to buy these things (Lexus, Caddy, ect) ARE NOT people who will be travelling a whole lot by car. That's my only gripe. Sure more gears is great when you're slogging down some back country road with 110,000-lbs of supplies being pulled by your trusty Detriot 60-Series strapped into a Frieghtliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, ect, but not your everyday car.