New Versa ads..

Drew Dowdell

These new banner ads look like drug ads.

"Find out if Versa is right for you"

To learn more "Download PDF", where download pdf is in a pill shape.

Versa

(next generation subcompact)

And of course touting the 36mpg highway

What Nissan hasn't seemed to realize is everyone hates drug ads.

Are people going ga-ga over 36mpg in this car? Mom's old '94 base Bonneville could do 32mpg highway if you were gentle. Cobalts and 4-cylinder Malibus hit 36 mpg no problem. V6s do 33.

I find these ads amusing, and at least it does its job of grabbing someone's attention. Funny ad, ugly car. Although I can see people going to the dealership thinking the Versa is a lot bigger than it really is thanks to its minivan looks.

I'd probably take a Fit over a Versa, love the rear seat capabilities of that car. Refreshed Aveo isn't too bad, but I'm not a fan of altezza tail lights

EDIT:Here's the

that I've been seeing multiple times a day. Nissan must've dumped some funds into their advertising budget.. Edited by big blue

Are people going ga-ga over 36mpg in this car? Mom's old '94 base Bonneville could do 32mpg highway if you were gentle.  Cobalts and 4-cylinder Malibus hit 36 mpg no problem. V6s do 33.

193283[/snapback]

Let's not compare real world mileage to EPA estimates. Everyone will experience different results in different climates with the same car. Saying certain cars hit certain mpg always is not accurate.

Let's not compare real world mileage to EPA estimates. Everyone will experience different results in different climates with the same car. Saying certain cars hit certain mpg always is not accurate.

193329[/snapback]

We've seen, more often then not, that the EPA ratings on many <not all> Asian cars is.... optimistic. While quite often, many American cars <GM especially, Ford less so> handily beat the EPA ratings.

Highway rating for the Cobalt is 32 or 34 depending on the model. A fairly substantial number of owners regularly report 36mpg or 40mpg.

Highway rating for the 4 cylinder Malibu is 32, yet again owners regularly report 35+.

Highway rating for the V6 Malibu is 32. Owners regularly report 34+.

The Prius, the supposed mileage king, gets substantially less than it's EPA mileage.

The highway rating of the Corolla is 38 or 41, depending on the model..... suprisingly owners don't see that kind of mileage unless they're on flat land with the cruise on and the A/C off at 55mph.

So yah, lets not compair real world to EPA.... it would take away the Asian's unjustified perceved marketing advantage.

a friend found the ads funny... yeah drug ads suck, but since it's not a real drug ad, it's ok to laugh at it, i think...

allready have one at my college... see it almost everday, it's not pretty, but it's not nearly the ugliest thing on the road.

We've seen, more often then not, that the EPA ratings on many <not all> Asian cars is.... optimistic.  While quite often, many American cars <GM especially, Ford less so> handily beat the EPA ratings.

Highway rating for the Cobalt is 32 or 34 depending on the model. A fairly substantial number of owners regularly report 36mpg or 40mpg.

Highway rating for the 4 cylinder Malibu is 32, yet again owners regularly report 35+.

Highway rating for the V6 Malibu is 32. Owners regularly report 34+.

The Prius, the supposed mileage king, gets substantially less than it's EPA mileage.

The highway rating of the Corolla is 38 or 41, depending on the model..... suprisingly owners don't see that kind of mileage unless they're on flat land with the cruise on and the A/C off at 55mph.

So yah, lets not compair real world to EPA.... it would take away the Asian's unjustified perceved marketing advantage.

193348[/snapback]

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I can easily find Cobalts averaging MPG in the 20s (Car and Driver observed, Edmunds long-term, fuel-economy.gov users, Motor Trend observed, Consumer Guide observed, CarSurvey, Autobytel, Epinions...)

I'm sure the Versa can do 44 MPG in the same way a '94 Bonneville can do 32 MPG.

I trust real world mileage numbers a lot more than a standardized test. I know what I've driven and the mileage those vehicles have gotten.

The problem with real world results, like I've said before, is they will vary for every person and in different climates. A standardized test is the only way to compare two vehicles. Now if dealer's would let you test drive cars for 300+ miles or a couple weeks, then you could get a good idea of the mileage of each one, and do your own comparison. My own experience with various cars is that they all get above EPA rated mileage, domestic and japanese. It might just be my climate though, I am close to sea level and it's relatively cool here with little humidity.

Crappy car... cool, funny ads.

Love the ads...

As far as real world mileage versus statistics... Anyone can lie. I could say my Millenia gets 33 mpg. I could say my mother's Sunfire gets 42 mpg. Edmunds writers could say a Silverado gets 29 mpg. Who says its true? It's one persons word against another's. While the EPA estimates may not be the most accurate judge of a vehicle's true mileage (Prius' mileage dully noted), it's actual statistics from an actual standardized test that all manufacturers seem to have no probably accepting the figures that result from it. Are there any other systems' recorded mileage out there that are quoted and gloated about by manufacturers? Answer me that.

Love the ads...

As far as real world mileage versus statistics... Anyone can lie. I could say my Millenia gets 33 mpg. I could say my mother's Sunfire gets 42 mpg. Edmunds writers could say a Silverado gets 29 mpg. Who says its true? It's one persons word against another's. While the EPA estimates may not be the most accurate judge of a vehicle's true mileage (Prius' mileage dully noted), it's actual statistics from an actual standardized test that all manufacturers seem to have no probably accepting the figures that result from it. Are there any other systems' recorded mileage out there that are quoted and gloated about by manufacturers? Answer me that.

194664[/snapback]

Speaking of which, I averaged 35.6 MPG over 10 miles going 65-75 mph carrying two people with A/C on in our 85K mi, 3600-lb, six-cylinder 5-series. It's supposed to only get 26. :ohyeah:

Love the ads...

194664[/snapback]

Have you ever heard of the term "teaching to the test" BV? It is entirely possible for Toyota or Honda to "teach to the test", that is, they set up their cars so they get the best possible number on the EPA test. Of course the problem with this is, the EPA test doesn't come close to reflecting real world driving. This is reflected most dramatically with the Prius EPA score, but other Toyotas and Hondas suffer from it as well.

GM, it seems, aims there efficiency more at American's real world driving habits while only regarding the EPA test as secondary as long as they pass it. You see it come up in cars like the Cobalt, Malibu, and even the w-bodies.

Of course I have, and it's entirely possible. Still, what proof is there? It's still just someone's word against another. And GM, among others, that supposedly get better real world gas mileage than EPA results don't complain about it or anything to that degree. So for all this bickering back and forth about something with virtually no proof is... well... retarded. Hence why I posted.

Now... excuse me while I go for a drive in my 33 mpg Millenia... :P