untitled

DesignR

Hmmm...o wait where have I seen this before? Ah yes...Demolition Man!

Seriously...this is so derivative of the early 90s Cadillac consepts it isn't funny. The design language is stuck in the "aero" age and not only is it not attractive, the fender skirt (I just typed "fender skirt" in the post-B-body era!!) looks like the Honda Insight.

Yuck for design, double yuck for complete lack of originality.

Cool looking... .but

A sport luxury sedan, designed by Alen Alequin  and engineered by Sathish Dhandapani.

why must everything be called a "sport luxury" sedan.

Whatever happened to arriving to your destination in the utmost comfort and luxury?

That's what this concept really looks like it should be.... it's not a "sport luxury" sedan.

edit: Additionally, there is nothing about this concept that says "I'm a Cadillac" to me.

It doesn't even have the trademark grill.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

many themes were adressed while designing this vehicle. it was designed specifically for the baby boomer generation and adressed thier cultural back grounds by identifying with 50-60's cadillacs that they grew up with. that adressed the issue of familiarity with the brand on thier behalf. the covered rear wheels accentuate that theme and also adress the inspiration of high powered yachts. it is supposed to be somewhat vintage and modern if not futuristic in the way the surfaces are delt with. in my opinion its something you need to see in person, but ur comments are all welcome.

thanks.

Seriously...this is so derivative of the early 90s Cadillac consepts it isn't funny.  The design language is stuck in the "aero" age and not only is it not attractive, the fender skirt (I just typed "fender skirt" in the post-B-body era!!) looks like the Honda Insight.

Yuck for design, double yuck for complete lack of originality.

193670[/snapback]

:withstupid:

I see no obvious take-off of the Solitaire (or the Voyage; basically a 4-dr version of the Solitaire) concepts other that the skirted rear wheels. Those had strong Cadillac signature front ends and completely fluid fuselages and owed a lot to '80s full-size Cadillacs.

This concept has numerous planes and sharp edges, with a decisively 'aero' treatment with the low, laidback nose & windshield.

They're nothing alike (well, they're both red :P ).

Entourage: lot of intersecting edges along the flanks- too many for me and enough to dispell the intention of power boats/ yachts. Skirted wheels are fine (I like 'em), but of course the complete impracticality of such a low car, corrected for street use, would loose that 'gliding over water' look (in the front wheel well, too). This is SOP in the model-to-production transformation, of course, tho I wonder if in the case of the skirts, it would be much more pronounced/noticable. Just once I would like to see a production car (air suspension?) ride this low.

Except for the celica-esque headlights that reach halfway to the A-pillar (blorf!), I like the design fairly well.... but it's not a Cadillac.

as for the grill, and back to my original theme of vintage, the grill is inspired by the vents on the side of the original 30's cadillac sixteen.. grill change over time so one cant hold a cars identity to its graphics but rather its history.

193677[/snapback]

First of all...am I correct in interpreting your last few posts as indication that this is your design? If so...did you seriously create a thread to promote your own work and include the self-aggrandizing "I'd hit it!" emoticon? Seriously?

Secondly...yes, grilles change over time. That said, a successful designer can still create vehicles with new, modern design elements that might be foreign to the existing brand...yet incorporate them in such a way that the overall vehicle still looks like it belongs to that brand. For example:

The 1980 Cadillac Seville. From the horizontal taillights to the bustleback rear, very little of its shape/styling seem to evoke Cadillac. The devil is in the details: the side molding placement, the proportions, the wheel arches, the grille, the headlight shape/placement...etc. All of those elements make that vehicle, so different from all other Cadillacs, instantly recognizable as a Cadillac.

The 2003 CTS is another example: despite using the new Art & Science design vocabulary, the car was still instantly recognizable as a Cadillac.

It all goes back to this: If the Ford designers had designed the current Chevrolet Impala, would it be a Ford? No...because it looks nothing like a Ford, lacks Ford proportions, or any other cues to identify it being a Ford. Even the ovoid Taurus still had a Ford "presence" about it despite the radical styling.

First of all...am I correct in interpreting your last few posts as indication that this is your design?  If so...did you seriously create a thread to promote your own work and include the self-aggrandizing "I'd hit it!" emoticon?  Seriously?

Secondly...yes, grilles change over time.  That said, a successful designer can still create vehicles with new, modern design elements that might be foreign to the existing brand...yet incorporate them in such a way that the overall vehicle still looks like it belongs to that brand.  For example:

The 1980 Cadillac Seville.  From the horizontal taillights to the bustleback rear, very little of its shape/styling seem to evoke Cadillac.  The devil is in the details: the side molding placement, the proportions, the wheel arches, the grille, the headlight shape/placement...etc.  All of those elements make that vehicle, so different from all other Cadillacs, instantly recognizable as a Cadillac.

The 2003 CTS is another example: despite using the new Art & Science design vocabulary, the car was still instantly recognizable as a Cadillac.

It all goes back to this: If the Ford designers had designed the current Chevrolet Impala, would it be a Ford?  No...because it looks nothing like a Ford, lacks Ford proportions, or any other cues to identify it being a Ford.  Even the ovoid Taurus still had a Ford "presence" about it despite the radical styling.

193683[/snapback]

in a rare moment, I agree with Croc

Additionally, there is nothing about this concept that says "I'm a Cadillac" to me.

It doesn't even have the trademark grill.

193672[/snapback]

That's the second thing I thought of when I first saw that picture. The first? Ugly.

Yes, you are correct. This is my design. and "i'd Hit it" was an attempt at provoking criticism -wich it did- weather good or bad. it's intresting seeing everyones response -mostly negative- but still well recieved. concepts like these provoke controversy all the time. the point in even placing car in the thread was to gauge what various audiences feel about the vehicle. this isnt the only forum its in nor' the last. Form vocabularies change all the time and though sharp lines dont necisarily scream out "cadillac" the idea hopefully does. the concept of luxury, refinement and innovation.

so thanks guys!

Very, very cool!