Kentucky-Fried Camry Number 5,000,000 to Roll Out

Variance

Kentucky-Fried Camry Number 5,000,000 to Roll Out

Posted Image

September 15, 2006 – Georgetown, KY - Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. (TMMK) is about to reach another milestone when the five-millionth Camry rolls off the assembly line during second shift production this Friday, September 15, 2006. TMMK is Toyota's largest manufacturing facility in North America and is celebrating its 20th Anniversary.

The Camry, introduced in 1983 and first built in Kentucky in 1988, has been the number one selling sedan in America four years in a row and eight of the last nine. The all-new 2007 Camry is in its sixth generation and is being built in eight different plants around the world. Along with the Camry, TMMK also produces the Avalon sedan, Solara coupe and convertible, V6 and four-cylinder engines as well as engine components. To date, TMMK has produced a total of about 6.7 million vehicles.

Groundbreaking for TMMK occurred in May 1986 with vehicle production starting up two years later (May 1988). TMMK has the capacity to produce 500,000 vehicles and engines annually. As one of the state's largest employers, TMMK represents a $5.4 billion investment with an annual payroll that exceeds $500 million. TMMK uses more than 350 suppliers across the U.S., including about 90 in Kentucky. Through this supplier network, nearly 35,000 jobs have been created across the state.

TMMK will begin production of the 2007 Camry hybrid next month. It will be the first Toyota hybrid vehicle to be produced in North America.

Source: Toyota Motor Company

Stalin killed millions of people but that's anything to celebrate. :ph34r:

(neither is an over rated, soulless appliance)

I am almost 38. I have probably peed at least 6 times a day in my life. that's over 83,000 times I have peed in my life, including the backyards of some people who had houses near keg houses in college.

Point is, who cares. Everybody pees. That's the point. How many cars has Chevy sold?

Woo hoo, Charmin has sold how many rolls of toilet paper?

Edited by regfootball

Because the Malibu, Impala and other cars in it's segment are all non-appliances that are simply overflowing with "soul" right?

194045[/snapback]

Impala has the SS version and Malibu has the funky Maxx version.

Just enough soul to push it above zero.

...In other news, Ford lays of 75,000 workers, considers another 35,000 job cuts.

But the old 4-spd automatics pull them back down.. :(

194205[/snapback]

Does that mean the Camry 6-speed that is sometimes a 4-speed puts the Camry into the negative?

The 4-speed debate is old. It doesn't remove any soul from the cars because GM's 4-speed is still smoother <and apparently better made than> Toyota's 6-speed and the known-for-going-bad 5-speed from Honda.

Potential buyers notice things like that, though...  4 < 5,  4 < 6.  Regardless of whether it is reliable, GM's 4-speed is old...4-speed automatics were adequate 10 years ago...

194211[/snapback]

Oh get off it, "adequate". "10 years ago", show me any proof that a 6 speed is any kind of improvement. Show me the cost savings, in both production and for the consumer, then get me the rebuild expence. Its not a "notice" of superiority its uneducated folklore.

Simple fact is a well-engineered 5- or 6-speed automatic would operate at lower RPMs across the powerband than a 4-speed, improving performance, fuel economy, and reducing wear on the engine. 7-seeds or higher, however, seems pointless and a rote numbers game for virtually every car.

Oldsmoboi is right, though. GM 4-speed hydramatics are reknowned for having better shift quality and smoothness even over many newer 5- and 6-speeds. General Motors simply knows how to make one helluva automatic, one that doesn't shift, but instead gently wafts you from gear to gear.

TMMK will begin production of the 2007 Camry hybrid next month. It will be the first Toyota hybrid vehicle to be produced in North America.[/i]

193698[/snapback]

?? :blink:

I saw the Camry Hybrid last week on the road.

Likely the hybrids you've seen now are imported.

194232[/snapback]

Ah, I didn't realize that was going to happen--I figured when they started building the Camry hybrids for sale in the US, that's when we'd see them on the road.

Thanks for the clarification :)