Should everyone viewing C&G register?

wildcat

Should everyone viewing C&G register?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should everyone viewing C&G register?

• Yes, everyone who wants to view C&G should register.
    • No, it's not necessary to be registered to view C&G.

It is my opinion that everyone viewing C&G should be registered, that there should be no "guests." I feel this way because whenever C&G has breaking news or a unique spy photo, the number of guests far outweighs the number of registered members. Perhaps it's no big deal, but I suspect that these guests are people who normally post to other car boards, and they merely view C&G to learn scoops and then share them with their usual audience. I guess I consider other websites as "competitors," and my loyalty is with C&G.

To me, C&G has, arguably, at times, been the leading GM news website, and I hope that others will recognize and respect the site.

What is your opinion?

I think having everyone register would more accurately reflect the size of C&G's viewership, give a better idea of who is looking at C&G threads, allow everyone equal access to C&G topics, and potentially bring in more participants to the Lounge.

Won't higher membership numbers convince GM and its press offices that C&G has a sizeable following, or make it easier to try to land advertising for the site?

Thank you.

Well, when I first came here, I didn't register. Instead, I just browsed around and realized that the only way to view Lounge topics and stuff like that was to register, so I did, and have stayed here since.

I think there should be a way to keep spy photos and releases out of guests' hands for maybe three days or so, almost like an embargo of sorts.

But disallowing guests to look at all topics is unfair to me, because how will they know what they are getting? They may just say, "Screw it" and sign up with www.thegmsource.com and we can't have that can we?

I voted "YES" but I actually agree with Captainbooyah on this. The "Breaking News" stuff should be made "registered users only" while the general news and discussion should stay public. Maybe have an "breaking news archive" forum created to which the breaking news can be moved within a few days? Not to create more work for people, but that could be a happy compromise.

Fine just the way it is.

They can see the car and general auto news/tech forums. Admittance restricted to The Lounge and other areas.

If I didn't get to see what it was all about, I would have never joined.

Now you're stuck with me! LOL.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sigh. Looks like I'm going to have to put the quote in manually.

Making them join to see exclusive stuff is a good idea, but other than that, I don't think it's necessary.

:withstupid:

i don't like the "have to be a member".... i like sending a few links now and then to family and friends... and still beable to see "everything" normal as a guest so i can browse at school w/o having to log on all the time.

breaking news,could be members only w/ it being moved after a fewdays... kinda like the camaro center was before the actuall announcement

the lounge is a duh... if it has to be modified, do it one step at a time or give advance notice please :)

long live C&G

I voted "YES" but I actually agree with Captainbooyah on this.  The "Breaking News" stuff should be made "registered users only" while the general news and discussion should stay public.  Maybe have an "breaking news archive" forum created to which the breaking news can be moved within a few days?  Not to create more work for people, but that could be a happy compromise.

196346[/snapback]

Same. Exclusive news should require being registered to view. Everything else should be open, though/