Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette? Yech...

Variance

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette? Yech...

Posted Image

Rumors of a V6-powered Corvette model have been floating around for years but weren't taken very seriously until Motor Trend decided to spend some ink on it a few issues ago and predict the six-cylinder model would revive the "Sting Ray" name. The model would basically be a Chevy-branded version of the Kappa roadster that GM has liberally passed out to such brands as Pontiac (Solstice), Saturn (Sky) and Opel (GT). Chevy's version would be different in that power would come from a V6 rather than an inline-four cylinder, and rumor has it that it would be badged a Corvette. Kind of sounds like a long shot, but Rick "Corvette" Conti, the #1 Corvette dealer in Ohio (w00t!), cites sources somewhere in the universe that tell him the rumors are true and coming sooner than we think.

Read "V6 Corvette rumors are rumored to be true!" @ Autoblog

Guest YellowJacket894

Good God, no, no, no, no, no. :hissyfit:

I can see something like the C5 hardtop coming along to make the C6 Vette more affordable, but not something like a V6 C6. That's just . . . wrong.

if this is true, hope fully it's not a "corvette" corvair would be better not because of it's history,as far as i know, but kinda a play on words... in the air of a corvette

i don't know!!!!! :lol:

but if it is true... then it'd be great to have something in the weight to HP range of the vette, but smaller... eh?

I doubt GM would EVER do that. If they did, they'd be beaten with blunt iron sticks and torched and urinated upon and torched again by Corvette purists and fans.

I'm not sure if Chevrolet needs this... they'll have the Camaro, and wouldn't that fit the bill anyway?

I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but they don't need this. Give the car to Saab, Buick, or Caddy instead. If they want an affordable Corvette, keep the V8 (though I'd be open to a 5.3L powered car), decontent the heck out of it and sell it for $30K.

Calling it the Sting Ray is acceptable in my book, though I don't believe Chevy needs yet another car. Jesus. Screw Chevy once in a while.

205863[/snapback]

No crap Chevy is going to have a VERY full lineup in a few years. Lets look at just the coupes though for now (in the US)

Cobalt coupe

Camaro V6

Camaro V8

large RWD semi lux Coupe (MC possibly)

T2x style coupe like SUV

Corvette

Corvette Z06

I don't see the room for another Chevy coupe.

I think that someone may be crossing some wires. Kappa may spawn a larger rwd sedan and coupe for Pontiac and the Stingray name has been rumored as the production name for the Blue Devil, but I don't think Chevy will be getting a 2 seat vert Kappa at all. If anyone could use a Kappa it is Buick, hard top only and V6, like a Crossfire competitor.