Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Older female driver's drive?

Dsuupr

I have associations with each car produced. Which of the following make you think of an "older" (60+) womens car.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. I have associations with each car produced. Which of the following make you think of an "older" (60+) womens car.

• Buick Century
    • honda element
    • Mercury Sable
    • toyota camry
    • toyota corolla
    • scion xa

I have associations with each car produced. Which of the following make you think of an "older" (60+) womens car. It seems like every toyota camry is driven by women over 60, though I've known younger females whos father made them buy it because it was a good pick for their Mom.

I picked Buick Century, both the '82-'96 A body, and the '97-current W. The size is manageable, it's comfortable, virtually maintenance-free, and it has inoffensive looks.

I find that old people in general love their A-bodies something fierce.

The Century or the Sable comes to mind as the most likely of that group. My mother is a older female driver (past 70) but I don't think she would be interested in any of those cars.... Her primary cars are a '98 Lincoln Town Car and an '05 Lincoln Navigator. She also has a '90 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, a '69 Mustang Mach 1 (had it since it was new), and 3 '67-68 Cougars (all cars she & my late father collected over the years)..

Camry al the way here in Mass... trust me! Sable second and Century third.

Buick and Olds in general just screamed senior citizen's brand in these days and times. It's like the car you grip when a Cadillac is too expensive or obnoxious. Before the '92 came out (where it then just became a woman's car), the Camry to me was a Korean parent's car, because I saw so many family-age Koreans driving them.....

Better put that thing in high gear, Paulie, bingo's about to start! :)

[post="16174"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In high gear? I have 4. Just four. Oh wait, even though my car is 13 years old, it still has the same number of gears as do many current GM products ;)

i dont think Olds screamed old people when they went out..the aurora, alero, intrigue look very good. i road in a rental alero before and i really liked it. im sure most would agree that they would rather be seen in an intrique than a century...no offense buick fans..i love buick too :).

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by zoomtm

I think part of the problem with Oldsmobile is that it... well... look at the name. Oldsmobile. It really didn't match the last few vehicles... The Aurora, Alero, Intrigue. All anything but old-looking, you know?

As for Buicks... Well, they abandoned any sportiness they had. What happened to all the coupes? What happened to all the T-Types? What happened to all the turbos? What the hell happened? Nowadays... I don't think I'd want to be seen in a new Buick.

Having been an owner of 2 Intrigues and 1 Alero I know they don't have the right seats have suspension for "older" people. My Parents & Grandmother traded in the Alero they bought from us because the suspension and seats where to hard. As far as who drives them - My wife and I have noticed mostly younger (25 to 45) females.

This is all I have to say to people who bitch about the Olds name:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously BV and Fly need to learn to READ and not judge an ad based on face value. "Look to OLDS for all that's NEW" I was trying to make a point about the Olds name being a funny icebreaker in advertising. Of all people I would think the resident Aurora obssesed Floridian would get it... :rolleyes: BTW: the first one is a '42 but the 2nd and 3rd are '46 Oldsmobiles. NOT pre-war. <_< Edited by Sixty8panther

Fly, dont be so hard, the Hydra-Matic are probably the same as the one in your car. :o :P Yeah, ads from 60 years ago do nothing more than confirm that GM has fallen a lot from where they were. And having "Old" in a name really doesn't help any, it is a little better than having "Crap" or "Junk" in a name in terms of what pops into peoples minds when they hear the name.

Obviously BV and Fly need to learn to READ and not judge an ad based on face value.

"Look to OLDS for all that's NEW"

I was trying to make a point about the Olds name being a funny icebreaker in advertising. Of all people I would think the resident Aurora obssesed Floridian would get it...  :rolleyes:

BTW: the first one is a '42 but the 2nd and 3rd are '46 Oldsmobiles. NOT pre-war.  <_<

[post="17281"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I read them and only the middle one really conveys that message in a way people would pick up on. Its a theme that's been used a whole lot in classic Oldsmobile advertising ("What's OLDS is NEW again" "Find something NEW in an OLDS" etc). The other two are simply ads that have nothing to do with your theory.

BTW: A '46 car of virtually any make is pretty much a prewar car. For four years prior, everyone was kinda busy making tanks and planes and things that go boom, so the new 1946 cars (and a handful of '45s) were really not new - mostly rebodied '42s with slightly updated grilles.

That fact really brings home the irony of the New '46 Olds - Its Olds, but its new, but really...its old.

The real 'new' cars came in '47, '48, and so on...