We Get Smart in 2008

We Get Smart in 2008

Posted Image

Smart GmbH and United Auto Group Inc. said Thursday they will bring the two-seat smart fortwo to the U.S. in early 2008.

Boeblingen-based Smart, part of DaimlerChrysler AG's Mercedes Car Group, said President Ulrich Walker had signed a general distributor agreement with United Auto Chairman Roger Penske on Wednesday.

"This is absolutely the right car in the right place at the right time. It embodies the unique combination of a lifestyle and design-oriented vehicle that is ecologically appealing," Walker said. "Smart is uniquely designed, offers the lowest cost of ownership and is very fun to drive."

The Detroit News

I agree that this is the right time and place. I would gladly have this type of car for a second car for work transportation purposes. Every morning certain roadways across American are clogged right full of 5-6 seat passenger cars occupied by one, creaping along at 5mph for 45 minutes, to travel the short 15 miles to get to work. Friggin brilliant !

I doubt we could expect GM to put this kind of car on market.........until everyone else does first....say maybe.... coming to a showroom near you by......2020.

After seeing that "70 mph into an offset barrier" video of the Smart (courtesy Top Gear?), I was totally impressed with the car's impact protection. Sure, it bent a little, but mostly it bounced off the barrier. I think the doors still opened, even.

For around town, it could do well. Hopefully it will be a high quality machine.

I won't get excited until pricing is announced.  It'll have to be dirt cheap in the US for me to consider as a 2nd or 3rd car.  Even so, I can't imagine relaxing in the thing cruising the NJ Turnpike or the Cross Bronx Expressway.

212742[/snapback]

It's not meant for those situations. This is a car meant for running down to the WaWa to pick up some pork roll but not using the S-class to do it.

It probably will.

I guarantee you will see a ton of these in Southern California within months of being sold there. It will be the next big fad, you'll see.

We see enough of them on the streets around here. I just shake my head. They are just silly to look at, and I don't care how much technology they are packed with - unless all vehicles are this size, it is just suicide to drive one of these things.

For Gawd's Sake: buy a base Malibu or Fusion. They are the same f'ing price!

I shudder to think of the upcoming accident scenes involving these wheelbarrow-sized cars.

It will hopefully lower the surface population... swiftly

unless all vehicles are this size, it is just suicide to drive one of these things.

Thats so unrealistic to say. Look at all the VW rabbits that were on the road @ 1800 lb's..then all the mid & rear engine two seaters

Small cars are actually easier to avoid accidents in.

Our government could spend some money and put in a highway infrastructure, confined to two lanes for this size car, separated by concrete barriers, this would make work for the thousands of Americans they are busy exporting jobs away from.......... :scratchchin:

Then for those that try to play dodge with heavy trucks and fail, we can simply say "they were not Smart enough" turn, walk away and go on with our frantic lives............its not like anyone cares anyhow.