Pricing: HHR Panel

Variance

Pricing: HHR Panel

Posted Image

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that pricing for the new, segment-exclusive HHR Panel will begin at $16,750 (including destination) for a well-equipped LS model. Orders for the HHR Panel will begin in early January.

“Priced at only $200 more than an HHR passenger model, the HHR Panel demonstrates tremendous value to business customers,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The HHR Panel is a model unlike anything else in the segment, offering commercial customers and expressive enthusiasts a bold, functional and different vehicle – and one that delivers more than 30 mpg on the highway.”

The HHR Panel features windowless side panels and rear cargo doors in place of conventional rear doors. A flat load floor provides more than 57 cubic feet (1,614 L) of cargo space, along with approximately 5 cubic feet (141 L) of additional covered, under-floor storage. Inside, the HHR Panel has seating for two and a large, flat cargo floor. Tie-down points are located strategically on the floor.

The LS model comes with a fuel-efficient 2.2L engine rated at 149 horsepower (111 kW). The LT model is equipped with a 2.4L engine rated at 175 horsepower (130 kW). With either engine, the HHR is rated at 30 mph in highway driving and can provide up to 450 miles of cruising range on a tank of gas.

Power front seats, a family of radios with MP3 capability and OnStar are available on LS and LT models. LT models also offer XM Satellite Radio, 17-inch wheels and leather-appointed seating. There is also a rear power plug connector with available 40-amp service, for a variety of specialty equipment needs. This feature answers the call of upfitters, who asked for an additional power source to suit their specialty vehicles.

OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation is available on the HHR Panel, enhancing its value as a courier or delivery-type vehicle. OnStar Turn-by-Turn provides verbal instructions to assist the driver with right- and left-hand turn directions; and it establishes a new route if the driver needs to get back on track; for example, if a freeway exit is missed.

[source: General Motors]

While I do applaud them for being unique, I don't know who's going to buy this, since it costs more than one with seats and windows...

225412[/snapback]

I don't get the price increase either, but I can see a lot of people not caring just becauser they think it's cool.

I hope the SS powetrain is offered on the panel. Now THAT would be sweet.

Now will there be a 1LT and 2LT, or is it 1LT only, or is GM smartening up and making only a single LT trim across the board? Nice entry into a small, significant, formerly-dead American staple.

For those complaining about the price - keep in mind it's a niche vehicle, and GM is trying to be profitable. Would you rather GM not make niche vehicles? They've gotta pay for the development costs somehow - it's likely to not be a high volume seller... and maybe if it is, they can lower the cost.

For those complaining about the price - keep in mind it's a niche vehicle, and GM is trying to be profitable.  Would you rather GM not make niche vehicles?  They've gotta pay for the development costs somehow - it's likely to not be a high volume seller... and maybe if it is, they can lower the cost.

225978[/snapback]

Agreed, but for the fact that this is apparently intended for small businesses and those needing utility, not for customization.

While I do applaud them for being unique, I don't know who's going to buy this, since it costs more than one with seats and windows...

225412[/snapback]

More than a base model with seats and windows. People will buy them, by the thousands. Circuit City, Interflora florists, IKEA, Coca Cola Enterprises, small couriers etc., even Fedex or UPS might find them useful in some areas. Now they need to find a range of "upfitters" around the country to do shelving, hanging rails, refrigeration and of course custom paint jobs.

Oh 200 bucks who really gives a sh*t seriously they look like a 30's Chevy panel van and those were sweet! I hate the regular HHR's but actually there is something about the Panel I like... Hippy Vans all over again! I think I want one. Order mine in bright red or orange with chrome wheels please, and a 5spd with 2.4L VVT.

Edited by gm4life

The pricing difference is insignificant. It is a vehicle that many businesses would find useful - a small, inexpensive, easy access, cool( sorry LA times, you are wrong), versatile, light duty, concealed contents hauler. The Vega panel wagon sold fairly well in the early seventies, and it was no where near the machine the HHR is. I think Chevy may have a small niche hit with this one.