Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Most Dangerous Roads in the World

Jamie

Damn, I'm biting my nails just looking at the pictures.  I can't stand on the edge of cliffs, I always feel like I'm tilting toward the edge. :blink:

228824[/snapback]

I don't like heights either. I've been on some frightening roads in Colorado (Alpine Loop/Engineer's Pass/Cinnamon Pass/Ouray area) that were just a flat section carved into the side of a cliff.

Even US550 (The Million-Dollar Highway) around the town of Ouray is pretty unsettling.

It didnt load for me but I bet some of them were in Puru ? Ive seen a few great movies with footage travel in somewhere South America.

The roads the WRC have competitions on are a bit hazardous.

Id be terrified of some of the canyon roads the first few times but then Id adapt. Just this fall we were driving out on a large dyke they built on top of a mountain for a pump storage electic facility. Well the far side just dropped off as steap as dirt will hold which I believe was a 2:1 pitch. It was approx 1000 feet to the valley below. That was a rush the first trip around. Then I had to back up once approx 1.5 miles to the middle which was this area, that was a real trip, the effect of backing in the mirror with nothing beyond the mirror......really played tricks with the vertigo.

Very cool post! Those crazy Russians jus need to move, that

city is probably not worht saving if it's THAT out of the way.

Ferkristsake!

Don't talk to me about vertigo right now tough, hanging the

Christmas lights this year was a major SNAFU. I had

nothing but an old rickety wooden ladder & a contorted tree

to work with. I saw my eyes flash before my life a few times

when I was up there in the tree like some kind of spyder

monkey. :P

Still those dangerous roads call to me. Studded tires and a

6-speed WRX STi woulfd make quick and fun work of some

of them. The Bolivian, Tibet/Bengladesh & russina Military

roads all fascinate me. I'm quite the adrenaline junkey.

wonder if there's any blown up German panzers & JU88s

still lingering in those areas of Russia.

That road in Russia could sure use a few new jeep wrangler unlimiteds  :P

228856[/snapback]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wwwwhhhaa... Angeles Crest Highway isn't one of them? :lol:

228927[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? That crazy road is in Bolivia, or at least one of them is...and it claims lives on a constant basis and, being a third world country, they don't do much about it.

Angeles Crest is pretty benign. What's sad is when you get down to those turn-outs closer to LaCrescenta and it's either smoggy or hazy that you can't see the skyscrapers of LA in the distance.

Now what is more frightening is California 1 between Big Sur and San Simeon. On the southbound drive, when you are above the ocean, there is NO messing around. For that reason, I wll go north on 1 but south on inland 101.

You're kidding, right?  That crazy road is in Bolivia, or at least one of them is...and it claims lives on a constant basis and, being a third world country, they don't do much about it.

Angeles Crest is pretty benign.  What's sad is when you get down to those turn-outs closer to LaCrescenta and it's either smoggy or hazy that you can't see the skyscrapers of LA in the distance.

Now what is more frightening is California 1 between Big Sur and San Simeon.  On the southbound drive, when you are above the ocean, there is NO messing around.  For that reason, I wll go north on 1 but south on inland 101.

229247[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm joking.

Little Tujunga Canyon Rd is even better than Angeles Crest. Lots of lovely low-speed turns...

Posted Image

... when they say 20 MPH, they mean it!

Edited by empowah

Agreed. Or any road in Michigan...

Where's I-696 on that list? :blink:

Just can't wait for pothole season... :rolleyes:

229278[/snapback]

Well I used to hate the roads by me, but after spending three months in Flint, I feel like I'm driving on fresh-paved blacktop or something.

I don't like heights either. I've been on some frightening roads in Colorado (Alpine Loop/Engineer's Pass/Cinnamon Pass/Ouray area) that were just a flat section carved into the side of a cliff.

Even US550 (The Million-Dollar Highway) around the town of Ouray is pretty unsettling.

228829[/snapback]

The Million Dollar Highway (US 550) is fun in the summer...but I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter... lots of roads out here with drop-offs that have no guardrails...one scary one I drove on SW of Colorado Springs is Phantom Canyon Road--basically a 'spine' road--one lane wide with sheer drop-offs on each side.. I've been down some side roads off the Pike's Peak highway where you can't see the ground in front of the hood because the road drops down sharply..definitely white-knuckle driving.

I've been over a bunch of the dirt 4x4 roads in my Jeep, and the paved ones in it and my fun cars..

Edited by moltar

• 1 year later...

You'd think Russia with all its oil cash would bother to pave that beast.

And this guy will pick boxers instead of daduntdaduns next time:

295090600_7d78481e51.jpg

On a side note, that van seems kinda cool.

You know what? All that land to exploit, they should pave an autobahn and open it for automotive tourists (no commuters).

LOL@ the irony of "Russian-Georgian 'Military' Mountain Roads" being #3 on the list.

How this house got built is beyond me:

277086664_b3c7c6e71e.jpg

Anyways, one would be an idiot to travel up and down that Bolivian mountain. I thought what I saw in Yosemite National Park and near Hoover Dam was difficult.

After seeing it on Top Gear and reading the Motor Trend article about driving a Challenger SRT8 there, the Stelvio pass in Italy is on my to-do list...but with something more exciting than the Vectra diesel or Merc A-class diesel I've driven previously in Italy.

Edited by moltar