Toyota at the Detroit auto show will unveil the FT-HS Hybrid Sports Concept — a two-door sports coupe that could provide clues to the next Supra. Toyota says the 400 horsepower hybrid would do zero to 60 mph in around four seconds, and cost somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000.

Posted Image

Leftlane News

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, it seems that Toyota just screwed their last chance at redemption straight to hell. This thing is downright ugly.

From a styling standpoint, this thing is so overcooked, a '99 Grand Am SE or the Aztek looks like an Accord in comparison. It's disgusting, it leaves a nasty aftertaste. After looking at this, I think someone could tolerate a bear hug from Aunt Esther. The front end of the car looks like some kind of futuristic bathroom fixture, and I don't know if I should piss in it or laugh at it.

Performance sounds respectable, and the cost doesn't sound too bad, but who would be caught dead in a car that looks like it was designed by a speed (the drug, Virginia, not the measure of movement) fiend?

Edited by YellowJacket894

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

=

garbage... and the most overdone "i swear im cool and performance oriented" design ive ever seen in my life

Honestly... I rather like it.

It's different, bold and stands out. Much better than all the bland Toyotas as of late.

The only real gripe I have is the greenhouse... those angled roofs that flow into the

C-pillar are very hard to execute without looking cheesy or like something on a

Hot Wheels car. Still I have to say this is a very interesting design and it's gutsy.

Being a Toyota though it's still bound to be watered down and made inot a cookie

cutter coupe by the time it hits showrooms.

Sign me up for this baby, forget about the Camaro! LOL I don't think it look's all that bad, and you know with it being a Toyota its not going to look anything like this, so it should only get better. But I don't think its going to be selling for 30 to 40 thousand, the Prius is selling for like 30k after the dealer market adjustments. Wonder what kind of fuel economy it will get? :scratchchin:

The more I see it the more I like it. This is actually a very unorthodox design.

I wish I could say it looks super-fugly to me cause it's a Toyota but I'm not

as biased as smoe might think & truth be told this car looks VERY interesting

to me. Kind of like a less chunky and awkward Mazda RX7. The nose is very

fluid and I love the scoops & heat extractors built into the fenders... it's also

trying to immitate a Formla 1 car up front but unlike most recent cars that

have tried before & failed this time it works. it's got a few very-subtle touches

like the black "hood bulge" that reminds me of the 1970s Mopar shaker scoop

(pentagon) and the 2nd gen. firebird/TA shakers.

I like the razor-edge sculpting and honestly I wish this was a Pontiac instead

of a Toyota. Give it a more orthodox greenhouse, add a few inches to the

wheel-base, drop in an LS2/tremec 6-speed and call it a Firebird Trans Am.

Kind of looks like a Celica with a bad body kit.

I bet it gets praised in the press by the same folks who said the Camaro was over done.

I am just great full that of all the cars that Japan has produced cars you can count on one hand all the good looking ones and many of them were designed in Italy. Most of their designs are copies or ugly generic models. If they had made good looking cars Detroit would have already been gone and I am greatful that has not happened.

This is my 3rd look at it... I still like it. :mellow:

Looser!

Hybrids may make good daily drivers or commuter cars, but they'll make for poor sports cars. It puts down good performance once, but how long will the batteries last when you take it to a track or to a twisty back road. Once you've used all of the battery it'll fall on it's face.

No one buys a sports car to environmentally friendly or to same money on gas. If you want that, buy a Prius and park it in the garage next to a Z06.

No one buys a sports car to environmentally friendly or to same money on gas. If you want that, buy a Prius and park it in the garage next to a Z06.

No... actaully more like buy a Zo6 and a 1979 VW Rabbit diesel, those suckers get like 70mpg. :spin:

I like it and it's rare I like anything from Toyota style-wise. It's different and stands out. It polarizes folks -- which in my book is good; the CTS also polarizes people, for example. And at that price point it will sell on looks -- for those that like it -- and not only on Toyota's name.

I say, bring it on and don't water it down.

except for the front fascia, I like it. And seeing as its only a concept, I'm sure it'll be tuned down if it made it to production

As much as I hate Toyota I hope they DO NOT tone it down.

This car looks great as is... much better than the last gen.

Supra and all the subsequent concepts.

This is quote from a 3rd Gen Supra forum I visit. I generally agree with these statments.

In my oppinion it's a pile of crap. This whole obsession with hybrids is bull$h!, and the only thing I will ever invest in as far as alternative energy is a cleaner burning substitute that still runs in a modern engine. These hybrids like the Prius and the Civic hybrid seem like great ideas until you have to replace the batteries, and the part of the story that the environmental idiots forget is that the manufacturing process of the batteries creates HUGE amounts of VERY toxic polution. Industry is our biggest polluter, not motor vehicles. This is very obvious every time a well taken care of vehicle passes a smog test. If you observe the numbers posted on the results, the amount of pollution put out by a modern vehicle is NOTHING compared to what comes out of a factory's stack. Electric and hybrid cars can suck my perverbial dick.

Nissan is releasing the Skyline to the Unites States, yes? This means that there is still a market for turbocharged Japanese sportcars big enough for a company to make this commitment. Honda is building their replacement for the NSX, not turbocharged, but not a damned hybrid either. These guys get it, but Toyota is too busy trying to please all these idiots who are misinformed. The common understandind is that turbocharged cars are dirty and unreliable. While at some point in not too distant history this was true, now it's just that- history. The Skyline will pass the strict California emission test, so what's to say that it's not clean? Fuel economy? Who cares. Does a person buying a new Z06 Corvette with the enormous LS7 engine worry about fuel economy? No, but just the fact that the Skyline will have a 3.5 twin-turbo V6 means it will be getting considerably better economy than a Vette. Nissan gets the idea. Toyota doesn't. The only thing that Toyota can do at this point in time to regain my love is to release something similar to a MKIV Supra with the natural refinements that have been developed since 1998 when the Supra left the dealers of America- more efficient engines, computers, and low emissions. I would love to see an inline 6, but at this point I'd be happy with a sporty 2 seater or 2+2 coupe built along the lines of the new Lexus lineup, which imho are some dead sexy cars, with a turbocharged V6 or V8. I also heard a rumor a while back that Toyota purchased Honda's SH-AWD (Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive) system for use in a twin-turbo sports car. I'm still waiting for a real car, and I'm fed up with their pathetic prototypes of POS hybrid sportcars. Even Honda is building turbo cars now for christ sake. Toyota is falling out of my good graces as far as high-performance cars are concerned. I will never knock their ability to build great cars and trucks, but they seem to have forgotten what a real sportscar is.

/rant

Collin

Yes, but do you like the design?

I think this is exactly the kind of feedback Toyota needs to get from this car. I mean, the idea is right, design wise (2+2 sports). They need something like this now.

What I would hope is still up in the air is the engine option. For the sake of Collin and everyone around him, I for one hope there is no hybrid motor in this car. Innovative, yes (kinda); nessacery, no. Having a sports car that runs on batteries seems all but sporty. Untill the technology is taken up more seriously by any given company, Hybrid sports car will not be much of a rage. I think Toyota is 'moving forward' way too fast. Why not stick to the basics and just build a car..?

I hope Toyota gets all the right feedback on this thing and sees it out the right way. Perhaps the powertrain will make a concept to production model swap, and the real car (if produced) will get a real engine.

From AutoWeek:

The idea was to find out if it is feasible to combine ecology and emotion in a sports car; to make an eco-friendly car that is fun to drive. Why bother? Because Toyota thinks drivers of the future will be eco-conscious but won’t want to give up performance cars.

IMO The problem is that drivers of here and now dont really give a $h!. Edited by fuel_sipping

while I agree that hybrid's helping to cut down on pollution is BS (as pointed out above), they do serve a good purpose in that they help cut down on your dependence on foreign oil

Most of America's oil comes from our country, and our evil plans involve Greenland and Denmark, not America. :AH-HA_wink:

And I still think Hybrids are totally stupid.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I actually like most of it. The only thing I just can't stand are the tortured surfaces on the front bumper. Other than that, it seems to be okay.

And, surprise surprise, this is the Toyota Aurion which is based off the Camry, is front wheel drive of course, but built/marketed and sold in Australia -->

Posted Image

Okay, so it's a bit bland, but is it not much better looking than the Avalon the U.S. gets saddled with?

Posted Image

Edited by MyerShift

This is quote from a 3rd Gen Supra forum I visit. I generally agree with these statments.

Nissan is releasing the Skyline to the Unites States, yes? This means that there is still a market for turbocharged Japanese sportcars big enough for a company to make this commitment. Honda is building their replacement for the NSX, not turbocharged, but not a damned hybrid either. These guys get it, but Toyota is too busy trying to please all these idiots who are misinformed. The common understandind is that turbocharged cars are dirty and unreliable. While at some point in not too distant history this was true, now it's just that- history. The Skyline will pass the strict California emission test, so what's to say that it's not clean? Fuel economy? Who cares. Does a person buying a new Z06 Corvette with the enormous LS7 engine worry about fuel economy? No, but just the fact that the Skyline will have a 3.5 twin-turbo V6 means it will be getting considerably better economy than a Vette.

/rant

Collin

LOL....

Current Vette Z06...

16 mpg / 26 mpg

Current 3.5L Manual 350Z/G35

19 mpg / 26 mpg

Adding air w/ turbos means you need to add more fuel. While at near Idle the fuel mileage may not change it will significantly decrease above that. It's doubtful the GT-R will get CONSIDERABLY better mileage than the ZO6.

Sign me up for this baby, forget about the Camaro! LOL I don't think it look's all that bad, and you know with it being a Toyota its not going to look anything like this, so it should only get better. But I don't think its going to be selling for 30 to 40 thousand, the Prius is selling for like 30k after the dealer market adjustments. Wonder what kind of fuel economy it will get? :scratchchin:

Ya know... I'm not sure why the Prius is still bringing such a mark up. Our local dealer, Bryan Easler Toyota (In one of Toyotas biggest markets) ran holiday incentives on their stock of OVER 40 Priuses (Prii, Priusi, whatever... :)

FoG:

I'm starting a petition to call them the "PRISS" just like Opie & Anthony.

It rolls off the tongue better and it's truth in advertizing. "pr'-ISS"

Edited by Sixty8panther

I have yet to see any real-world pictures of this car, so I am looking forward to seeing it in person on Sunday. I think it should look better live... less "melted Tupperware"-looking.

I also agree with the earlier sentiments that this car, if it were produced, should have a gasoline engine only. Sadly, the Volta concept and this one are setting a disturbing, Hybrid-powered trend.

I have yet to see any real-world pictures of this car, so I am looking forward to seeing it in person on Sunday. I think it should look better live... less "melted Tupperware"-looking.

I also agree with the earlier sentiments that this car, if it were produced, should have a gasoline engine only. Sadly, the Volta concept and this one are setting a disturbing, Hybrid-powered trend.

Heres one Petra

http://www.thecarconnection.com/?article=11696