Whats next for XLR?

mark_s_686

What is happening next with it? Will there be a MCE or is a redesign the next thing in store for it? I think it would be great it they put a front end more like the Evoq on it. I think it still fits very well with Cadillac's design language even though its 8 years old. The grill just needs more detailing like the new CTS. Obviously take away the night vision eye as Cadillac no longer offers that (they should though...). Just some thoughts. What does everyone else think would be good for it. . . or does anyone actually have information on it?

What is happening next with it? Will there be a MCE or is a redesign the next thing in store for it? I think it would be great it they put a front end more like the Evoq on it. I think it still fits very well with Cadillac's design language even though its 8 years old.

8?? Didn't the XLR come out for '05?

building the XLR off the corvette chassis is brilliant but i really needs a new interior and its about time to redo the exterior. And it still right now does not match the Mercedes in overall sophistication.

We prob won't see a new XLR till the vette is redone. And by then that new Caddy v8 should be online.

Thing is, i wonder if it wouldn't make sense for caddy to have a 4 seat convertible to distinguish itself more.

Thing is, i wonder if it wouldn't make sense for caddy to have a 4 seat convertible to distinguish itself more.

Cadillac can do the 4 seater thing with the CTS. thinking of DCX as an example, think Mercedes CLK. IMO the XLR should stay as a 2-seater, but I think some Evoq elements (the thin mini-fin tail lights) would be nice to see if an MCE happens. Edited by ZL-1

I love the XLR (non-V) styling... and I think many people would like the exotic nature of it.

The XLR doesn't have the depth to compete against $100K SLs and even 6er cabrios, but it does have a chance against Z4s, SLKs, and TTs, IMO. Lower the price (~$50K), give it a refresh, offer a 3.6 DI V6, re-name it, and call it a new car. It'll target an audience different than the Corvette's, and it'll certainly be more profitable than 3,000 a year (+ $10K off MSRP). BMW and Merc each sell 12K Z4s and SLKs a year.

Edited by empowah

I would definitely hope for a new interior first, exterior upgrades don't seem as important to me compared to improving the overall ambience of the interior.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely hope for a new interior first, exterior upgrades don't seem as important to me compared to improving the overall ambience of the interior.

the interior is the first thing to be updated should be the interior but i would like the exterior to get more of a cien look and feel. it should be more than just an angular vette. lets give it a look of it's own already!

I highly doubt that the Vette or the XLR will be receiving any interior upgrades with a redesign so close. Besides, they're selling every vette they could posibly sell and the XLR, though not selling as much is still a halo vehicle for the brand which gives it some street cred in the ultra luxury convertable market especially with the $100,000 V-series. They're fine for now.

I highly doubt that the Vette or the XLR will be receiving any interior upgrades with a redesign so close. Besides, they're selling every vette they could posibly sell and the XLR, though not selling as much is still a halo vehicle for the brand which gives it some street cred in the ultra luxury convertable market especially with the $100,000 V-series. They're fine for now.

well cadillac redesigned the interior of the srx as well as made some minor changes to the exterior. why shouldn't they keep the "halo" vehicle fresh and desireable too?

now i truely don't think that they will do anything with it other than offering maybe a different interior color or wood something like that but i really think that they need to. with the cts being redesigned and the srx getting a new interior the xlr is the only one without an interior refresh. why not now?

Cadillac tends to throw the "Platinum Editions" out for the last 2yrs of a vehicles model run, so i expect to see a new XLR along with the C7 corvette.

it comes down to interior, interior, interior. we've already seen how great A&S 2.0 looks, so the xlr will no doubt be world class, if they just give it an interior inline with the CTS.

GM won't abandon the segment, they couldn't have expected to rule a segment they had never entered before, with an xlr with a "standard" interior.