Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chrysler to Increase SRT-8 to 500+ HP

BrewSwillis

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors the past year or two as to what would be the next SRT8 engine. From 6.4 to 6.7 to 7.0 and a few other "liters". There was also talk of the "392" only being available as a crate motor. I was told a couple years ago at the SEMA show that the "392" would ONLY be referred to as a "392" and NOT a "6.4", but recent documents list it as "6.4"... maybe they will still call it a "392" for the Challenger, who knows.

Well, the next SRT8 engine WILL be a 6.4L SMPI engine with specs similar to the 392, more than 500 HP with similar numbers for torque. The new engine will debut in the SRT8 version of the Challenger, rumored for the 2009 model year. As probably expected, the engine will also make its way to other SRT8 models. What I was surprised to find out was that it appears that it will be used in some current generation vehicles, I figured that they would have waited for a generation change.

Here is the list of vehicles scheduled so far for the new 6.4:

2009 300C (LX)

2009 Charger (LX)

2009 Grand Cherokee (WK)

2009 Challenger (LC)

2009 Viper platform vehicle (ZC)

It is *possible* that the 6.4L could be held until the 2010 model year for some of the vehicles, I have not been able to find solid evidence of the exact model year for each application.

I have not listed the Magnum per rumors that 2008 would be its last year, although I have not seen any concrete evidence yet that the Magnum is going away. With the 2008 refresh and this new engine maybe a 2009 SRT8 models is not out of the works.

From "oh2o" from Allpar.com : http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87645

I have my doubts as to weather it can do 500 hp with 2V heads....

Spoken like someone who's never seen a natrually aspirated 700 horsepower 383 Chevy Small Block.

Well, here's hoping that a return to a more accurate engine designation system returns! >>"the "392" would ONLY be referred to as a "392" and NOT a "6.4" "<<

392 has a lot of historical clout to it- it's really cool that we've had numerous nods to past greatness in recent years- esp 'returns' of classic engine displacements.

I have my doubts as to weather it can do 500 hp with 2V heads....

Rest assured- 2V heads will not prevent a performance motor from exceeding a paltry 500 hp. Edited by balthazar

That's nice. I'm afraid to see the MPG they'll get.. and what exactly will the Challenger/Charger/300 SRT-8s compete with?

Nothing, they'll be in a class all there own :P :AH-HA_wink:

Although the Challenger SRT-8 will compete with the high-end Camaro).

This is sweet news...on another note, I hope the Magnum doesn't go away...It's a great car and the sexiest wagon out there. Someday, I will buy one.

Also, the Challenger is listed as "LC" but I though the next gen LX cars were going to be designated LY?

Edited by Dodgefan

Not to pick on "Avro206" but it always amazes me how the people have

been brainwashed inot thinking DOHC = modern and efficient and OHV

is considered archane and somehow inferior.

IIRC there's been a few people who have built up 1932 Ford flatheads

to pump out over 500 horsepower, and that's with less than 4 liters.

They've also done things like twin-supercharging with flatheads & made

10,000rpm capable Flatheads.

Now as far as a streetable OHV, my brother in law's 383 SBC puts out

over 650 horsepower (in his 1967 Camaro) and that's because it is set

up to be practical for a daliy driver first and a drag car second.

It always puzzled me why the US went to metric for engine displacements. They're a stick in the mud in every other aspect of measurement, but the engines they build and design at home? They'll put that in metric for ya... :unsure:

Side note: The only common places where Canada still is a holdout and uses American measurements is for height and weight of a person, measurements of lumber, and real estate. A person is still known as 6', 170 pds everywhere but their licence. Wood is still sold as 2x4s, 4x4s, etc. My apartment was sold to me as 650 sq. ft. I think pretty much everything else has converted to metric here.

Are there any other areas where the US uses metric commonly, besides engine displacement?

Guest YellowJacket894

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l7sSOAaqL0

After watching Super Troopers, I always make a point to order 'litres' of Cola whenever I'm in the States. :P

:rotflmao:

That movie was hilarious.

Farva: "I can say 'meow.' Hell, for twenty bucks, I'll go up to the driver and call him a 'chicken f@#ker.'"

[...]

Farva to driver: "License and registration please, chicken f@#ker. 'Bock, bock, bock.'"

:P

Anyway, back to the new 392. Sounds like a great engine!

:rotflmao:

That movie was hilarious.

Farva: "I can say 'meow.' Hell, for twenty bucks, I'll go up to the driver and call him a 'chicken f@#ker.'"

[...]

Farva to driver: "License and registration please, chicken f@#ker. 'Bock, bock, bock.'"

:P

Anyway, back to the new 392. Sounds like a great engine!

CAR RAMROD!!!

:lol:

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Anyway, today at lunch a (what I think) was a srt8 Grand Cherokee with masking all over the front, sides, and back but had srt wheels pulled up to me at the light. It had all kinds of computers and diagnostic stuff on the dash. This thing took off like a bat outa hell from the light. It was very impressive, and the exhaust sounded great!

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Anyway, today at lunch a (what I think) was a srt8 Grand Cherokee with masking all over the front, sides, and back but had srt wheels pulled up to me at the light. It had all kinds of computers and diagnostic stuff on the dash. This thing took off like a bat outa hell from the light. It was very impressive, and the exhaust sounded great!

I wish you would have had your camera with!! Supposedly the JGC mules are the ones testing the larger than 6.1L SRT and other motors...

Unrelated note: Do you go to GMI aka Kettering? I was very close but decided I wanted to go to a school that had something other than engineering (aka girls) {no offense to anyone of course} and was just wondering your thoughts...

I wish you would have had your camera with!! Supposedly the JGC mules are the ones testing the larger than 6.1L SRT and other motors...

Unrelated note: Do you go to GMI aka Kettering? I was very close but decided I wanted to go to a school that had something other than engineering (aka girls) {no offense to anyone of course} and was just wondering your thoughts...

This hasn't been the first time I have seen them driving around my work, just the first time I got to see it launch off the line. I work near the Chrysler tech center in Auburn Hills, and see them driving around all the time. Next time I will snag a pic with my camera phone.